homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The Knights Templar, Gay Bishops, Flying Saucers, and PSA. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The Knights Templar, Gay Bishops, Flying Saucers, and PSA.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The full and proper title of this thread being:

quote:

The Knights Templar, Martyrdom, Poetry, Osiris, Missing the Point, Millenarianism, King Arthur, Jesus, Gay clergy, Biblical inerrancy, Atonement Theory, Sacrifice, Restorationism, Myth, Messy Truth, Just War, Horrible Hymns, Golden Age of Early Christianity, Crappy Choruses, Women bishops, Unconditional Election, The Orthodox Plot, The Cross, The Blood of Jesus, Parsifal, Limited Atonement, Calvinism, Arminianism, Total Depravity, Stages of Faith, Speaking in Tongues, Socrates, Richard Wagner Was A Wanker, Personality Types, Neuroticism, Learning Styles, Homer, Exclusivism, Celibacy, Being In Denial, Two Gods, The Myth of the Beneficial Effects of the Death of Jesus, Lamb for the Slaughter, Heroism, Flying Saucers, The Obvious Supremacy of Canadian Methodism, and Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

I really think that the Ship has been far too soft on Evangelicals recently.

Sometimes as much as twenty-four hours have gone by without a new thread about the pernicious evil of this alien people who are in every state and province and follow only their own laws to the destruction of the Church.

We really must ask the important questions, again and again, untuil we get answers!

For a start:

• Is Evangelicalism committed to a bimodal modernist ontological dualism?
  • Why are all evangelicals stupid?
  • Why do no evangelicals have a sense of humour?
  • Why do they all hate gays and women so much?
  • Did Jesus really have to die?
  • How can anyone worship the nasty cruel child-abusing-drunken-father-in-the-sky god invented by Saint Augustine and fobbed off on the entire western Roman Empire in three weeks flat by force or arms?
  • How come they don't all leave the Church of England and found their own sects?
  • What do they get off on with all this sexual submission stuff?
  • What is all this harsh bivalent Western philosophy for?
  • What is it about the anti-christian evil and self-contradictory theory of Penal Substitutional Atonement that appeals to these hardline stupid idiots?
  • What sort of idiot pretends to believe that Jesus could somehow be both God and man?
  • Why do they let Luther edit the Bible for them?
  • What went so badly wrong with the Evangelicals that they failed to develop a liturgical vocabulary?
  • Where do they go to to have their brains turned into a calcified mass of inert limestone?
  • Who made Fred Phelps Archbishop of Canterbury?
  • Why do they think there is One Right Answer to every question?
  • Why don't they realise that the United Methodistical Congregation of Central Canada is the One True Church because it has all teh gayz in it?
  • Do they not realise that the idea that Jesus died to save us from our sins was just a drunken misreading of Homer made by an otherwise obscure mediaeval Pope while buggering his third post-prandial catamite?
  • Is evangelicalism an inevitable product of the destruction of True Christianity in western Europe by the Franco-Norman barbarians under the banner of false monkish Augustinianism?
  • What is the difference between a young-earth creationist, a fundamentalist, and evangelical, a pentecostalist, and a mass murderer?
  • Who was this Paul bloke anyway?
  • Why can't they see that the meta-meta-narratives of post-ironic post-post-modernism prove they are all shit and their docrtrin is meaningless drivel that no-one under the age of four hundred and sixteen could believe unless they were using it to oppress the downtrodden white liberal middle classes?
  • Why do they believe that Jesus died for us when no-one died for anyone in the Old Testament? It was all a Greek idea, which the whole world forgot until it was revealed to me in a flash of green light after when my roommate threw me to the floor and split my head open one day in college when we'd been drinking rye whiskey all day on top of some ketamine. All Hail King Goat!!!!!!
  • Why do they hate gays and women and want to kill all liberal Christians and allow America to be taken over by hordes of slavering undereducated Nigerians?
  • Why do they hate women so much?
  • Why is it that 112% of all known child abusers are evangelicals?
  • Why would weevangelicals chop their legs off rather than study the Bible in its original languages?
  • Was God an Astronaut?
  • Who cares about Africa anyway?
  • Why do they hate us so much?

[ 15. June 2016, 18:26: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure the tone of this was self-evident when you started it in your own head.

I regret to inform you that this failed to translate in the printed word.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wot orfeo sed.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, you are too clever to be an evangelical.

Leave evangelicalism at once ... and join the whatever-else-there-is Plot instead (be it Orthodox, Liberal or all-points else).

Seriously, I know evangelicalism (and all non-Orthodox conservative Christianity in general) comes in for a hard time on these boards, but if there is more behind it than sanctimony, sentiment and Janet-and-John Join-the-Dots theology, then it will be robust enough to bear the brick-bats.

In many ways evangelicalism is a victim of its own populist success. And it deserves to be 'called' on that and challenged if it is to grow, develop and mature.

Conversely, of course, evangelicalism's critics, however well or badly informed they are (and don't forget that many of them are former evangelicals) are going to have to get used to evangelicalism being around (and possibly morphing into ever more virulent forms?) and deal with it.

Speaking for myself, as a post-evangelical I'm still partial to aspects of evangelicalism but I'd rather pull my own eyes out on cocktail sticks than get involved with a lot of the crap that goes on there. Ok, there'll be different crap elsewhere and all crap is crap irrespective of whose arse it has emanated from.

'Consider it all joy,' my friend, 'when men speak against you and despitefully use you ...'

[Biased] [Razz]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Came in here to see if this was about Bill Johnson, Rick Joyner and co's association with the Knights Templar movement and their subsequent 'knighting' of their faithful all and sundry, found it wasn't, left.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The full and proper title of this thread being:

quote:

The Knights Templar, Martyrdom, Poetry, Osiris, Missing the Point, Millenarianism, King Arthur, Jesus, Gay clergy, Biblical inerrancy, Atonement Theory, Sacrifice, Restorationism, Myth, Messy Truth, Just War, Horrible Hymns, Golden Age of Early Christianity, Crappy Choruses, Women bishops, Unconditional Election, The Orthodox Plot, The Cross, The Blood of Jesus, Parsifal, Limited Atonement, Calvinism, Arminianism, Total Depravity, Stages of Faith, Speaking in Tongues, Socrates, Richard Wagner Was A Wanker, Personality Types, Neuroticism, Learning Styles, Homer, Exclusivism, Celibacy, Being In Denial, Two Gods, The Myth of the Beneficial Effects of the Death of Jesus, Lamb for the Slaughter, Heroism, Flying Saucers, The Obvious Supremacy of Canadian Methodism, and Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

More dead horses than you'd find in a tin of Belgian dog-food.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now this is a Hell thread I could sink my teeth into. [Yipee]

But I don't know where to start.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Came in here to see if this was about Bill Johnson, Rick Joyner and co's association with the Knights Templar movement and their subsequent 'knighting' of their faithful all and sundry, found it wasn't, left.

Totally unfaithful to your namesake. You're supposed to listen, fall off the window sill and be brought back to life by ken. [Razz]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Me too. The fuckin' fundie bastards need to be shot, not argued with!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, thank you for brightening my day [Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

I agree. ken's best since his summary of the Fall and Fall of the House of Stuart (and where is that?).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

That's not the sort of language true Christians use. You should know better.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Seconded. [Overused]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alfred E. Neuman:
quote:
quote:

That's not the sort of language true Christians use. You should know better.
Do you mean we should flog them with a bull whip and THEN shoot them?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant OP

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken

You have restored my faith in SoF. Thank you.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yawn.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What went so badly wrong with the Evangelicals that they failed to develop a liturgical vocabulary?
This is not a kind, loving, or Christian statement. There's nothing wrong that proper education wouldn't fix.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this just another pissing contest over who is persecuted the most? Everyone seems to get their fair share of lumps around here.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except the Pagans.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do we even have any pagans? If we do they stay on boards I don't frequent, or keep schtum about their paganistic beliefs. Either that or I'm just oblivious, which can't be discounted as an explanation.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So long as you remember to love the Evangelicals but hate the Evangelicalism.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
quote:
What went so badly wrong with the Evangelicals that they failed to develop a liturgical vocabulary?
This is not a kind, loving, or Christian statement. There's nothing wrong that proper education wouldn't fix.
From personal experience they do have a liturgical vocabulary, but any evidence of education is limited. They are keen of 'verbing', hence abominations like 'fellowshipping' and 'impacting prayer'. Extemporare prayer has a lot to answer for too: the great game of counting 'Lord Jesus' against 'Father God' is a handy alternative to listening to these, the most tedious and self-indulgent utterances since 1970's progressive rock music. I really feel for God.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me]
ken - you are a genius! (I almost took it personally but am pleased that I didn't)

Gamaliel says
quote:
Seriously, I know evangelicalism (and all non-Orthodox conservative Christianity in general) comes in for a hard time on these boards, but if there is more behind it than sanctimony, sentiment and Janet-and-John Join-the-Dots theology, then it will be robust enough to bear the brick-bats.
Seems to me that Evangelicalism likes to have its cake and eat it on this one.

Sometimes they act all hard, as though they have the arguments to end all arguments: they say "Come and have a go (with our theology) if you think you're hard enough" .... and then .... when you do - oooh, look, we are being persecuted, right here right now, quick plug for the important work that the Barnabas Fund does!

Meh.

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Evangelicalism a Busted Flush?

Anyway any Evangelical who is sane isn't really an Evangelical. Like Wesleyans. And Ken. They are really Apostolic Christians in disguise.

If the argument works for Dawkins ...

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Shot then argued with.
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:

Do we even have any pagans?

If one uses the traditional definition meaning adherents to non-Abrahamic religions, then yes. [Smile]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:

Do we even have any pagans?

If one uses the traditional definition meaning adherents to non-Abrahamic religions, then yes. [Smile]
Well, yes [Smile] but I rather meant neopagans such as those of the Wiccan variety.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Well, yes [Smile] but I rather meant neopagans such as those of the Wiccan variety.

Mertseger seems to fit the bill, though he doesn't seem to have posted for a while.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

True, I had forgotten about him. I hope he will forgive me. He seems to have a foot in each camp, IIRC. Always had good insights about whatever he posted on, too.

--------------------

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I should stick up for Evangelicalism at this point. I know I've waffled a lot in that Purg thread on the Golden Age - but it's made me realise that actually, the idea of the mythical Golden Age of the Primitive Church at Pentecost does have some things going for it.

Okay, so it might not actually be true. Perhaps there wasn't really ever a Golden Age. But if we overlook minor details like that, I am now starting to see how you can build a pretty convincing theology on top of the legend. Certainly had me going for a while - so, credit where credit is due, I think the Puritans were onto something there.

And I have no intention of going all iconoclastic and saying that Evangelicalism must be smashed! Like they smashed the saints icons!

Blah.

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will someone please explain why people here get so upset about Prostate-Specific Antigen? [Confused]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Probably don't like French cars.

--------------------

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Is Evangelicalism committed to a bimodal modernist ontological dualism?
    Irrelevant. Too many long words. Don't you know you can educate yourself right out of saving faith? Tammy Faye Baker said that.

• Why are all evangelicals stupid?
    They aren't necessarily all stupid. Only deluded. (Dawk. 3:16)

• Why do no evangelicals have a sense of humour?
    When you can say things like "The Bible is the true Word of God" with a straight face, everything else loses its comedy value.

• Why do they all hate gays and women so much?
    'Cos the only sex they get is with rent boys on meths. They're only bitter.

• Did Jesus really have to die?
    No, but don't tell them. They've built their whole religion on this shtick.

• How can anyone worship the nasty cruel child-abusing-drunken-father-in-the-sky god invented by Saint Augustine and fobbed off on the entire western Roman Empire in three weeks flat by force or arms?
    Because momma and that nice man told them to?

• How come they don't all leave the Church of England and found their own sects?
    The CofE is good cover - no one would ever think of looking for Christians there.

• What do they get off on with all this sexual submission stuff?
    Haven't you heard? Evangelicalism is a BDSM club for horsey little rich girls in jodhpurs.

• What is all this harsh bivalent Western philosophy for?
    Confusing slant-eyes, so their zen magic cannot have power over us.

• What is it about the anti-christian evil and self-contradictory theory of Penal Substitutional Atonement that appeals to these hardline stupid idiots?
    Just typical Tory hang'em flog'em nonsense on a cosmic scale. A bit gross amongst ourselves, but it appeals to the lower orders.

• What sort of idiot pretends to believe that Jesus could somehow be both God and man?
    A stupid idiot with "a very vivid imagination" and a fondness for fantasy literature where the laws of physics do not apply?

• Why do they let Luther edit the Bible for them?
    They tried a Catholic editor first, but it came back too long and smelling of garlic.

• What went so badly wrong with the Evangelicals that they failed to develop a liturgical vocabulary?
    Liturgy is just one step away from Amateur Dramatics, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more.

• Where do they go to to have their brains turned into a calcified mass of inert limestone?
    Church? Bible study? Bible camp? Alpha course?

• Who made Fred Phelps Archbishop of Canterbury?
    Teh gayz

• Why do they think there is One Right Answer to every question?
    Well, that's just not true, is it. There are lots of right answers to every question: it's just that all but one will send you straight to the pits of hell.

• Why don't they realise that the United Methodistical Congregation of Central Canada is the One True Church because it has all teh gayz in it?
    Beats me. Yankee plot?

• Do they not realise that the idea that Jesus died to save us from our sins was just a drunken misreading of Homer made by an otherwise obscure mediaeval Pope while buggering his third post-prandial catamite?
    Never engage in buggery straight after dinner, that's my motto.

• Is evangelicalism an inevitable product of the destruction of True Christianity in western Europe by the Franco-Norman barbarians under the banner of false monkish Augustinianism?No. Just the replacement of one absurd fantasy by another one (with worse outfits).

• What is the difference between a young-earth creationist, a fundamentalist, and evangelical, a pentecostalist, and a mass murderer?
    The police care enough to launch a public enquiry when a mass murderer is killed.

• Who was this Paul bloke anyway?
    He was one of teh gayz - but very much in the closet.

• Why can't they see that the meta-meta-narratives of post-ironic post-post-modernism prove they are all shit and their docrtrin is meaningless drivel that no-one under the age of four hundred and sixteen could believe unless they were using it to oppress the downtrodden white liberal middle classes?
    It's hard to see what the building looks like when you are shitting all over the living room carpet.

• Why do they believe that Jesus died for us when no-one died for anyone in the Old Testament? It was all a Greek idea, which the whole world forgot until it was revealed to me in a flash of green light after when my roommate threw me to the floor and split my head open one day in college when we'd been drinking rye whiskey all day on top of some ketamine. All Hail King Goat!!!!!!
    You obviously had more interesting roommates than I did.

• Why do they hate gays and women and want to kill all liberal Christians and allow America to be taken over by hordes of slavering undereducated Nigerians?
    That is what their Master, Satan, requires of them.

• Why do they hate women so much?
    That's the price of a very expensive education. Sorry, not education. Schooling. Education can go hang, so long as you can hit a six, sing the school song v. loudly and take a hot crumpet from behind without blubbing (And they go straight from that sort of School to CU at an old-fashioned university, where they have rampant sex with a girl they met at the Young Conservatives, and project their self-loathing onto the rest of the female gender from there on in).

• Why is it that 112% of all known child abusers are evangelicals?
    Cos they get better growth stats than the Catholics.

• Why would weevangelicals chop their legs off rather than study the Bible in its original languages?
    Next you'll be saying how Jesus was foreign!

• Was God an Astronaut?
    Cosmonaut, surely?

• Who cares about Africa anyway?
    China does. Well, for a given value of "cares".

• Why do they hate us so much?
    Because, deep down, we know you have the Truth, we are being convicted by the Holy Spirit, but our natural selves are in rebellion. Either that, or because Evangelicals cling to a brittle, narrow, shallow religion that the rest of us either avoided in the first place, or have since grown out of.

[ 13. July 2010, 19:51: Message edited by: RadicalWhig ]

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
    Beats me. Yankee plot?

Penis envy. ken is bitter because he likes to brag about his progressive evo Anglican parish in Southwark with female priests, he can't stand to see his liberal street cred diminished by hick colonials from across the Pond.

Would someone please pass the lemon and tonic water? Thanks.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that's it. I'm flying to London and stealing ken's thesaurus.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Ken. Brilliant.

Call it persecution complex, penis envy, whatever, but that OP is an art form.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
that's it. I'm flying to London and stealing ken's thesaurus.

He'll be able to tell you how it evolved from a pelicosaur in the Devonian period and prove that its closest living relatives are really birds not crocodiles.

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
From personal experience they do have a liturgical vocabulary, but any evidence of education is limited. They are keen of 'verbing', hence abominations like 'fellowshipping' and 'impacting prayer'. Extemporare prayer has a lot to answer for too: the great game of counting 'Lord Jesus' against 'Father God' is a handy alternative to listening to these, the most tedious and self-indulgent utterances since 1970's progressive rock music. I really feel for God.
SS, you didn't take my comment seriously, did you? Or did you?

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:

So long as you remember to love the Evangelicals but hate the Evangelicalism.
Okay, THAT made the thread worth reading.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Since when did Evangelicals have a monopoly on this idiocy?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Shhh! Don't tell them! They think they're the only Christians!

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sometimes they act all hard, as though they have the arguments to end all arguments: they say "Come and have a go (with our theology) if you think you're hard enough" .... and then .... when you do - oooh, look, we are being persecuted, right here right now, quick plug for the important work that the Barnabas Fund does!
Indeed so unlike the fucking Nicky-Gumbel-stole-my-sweeties liberal whingefests we get on these boards every other day, so obviously motivated by the fact that HTB packs 'em in while The First Church of Liberation Theology and the Painfully Right On has to make do with five distressingly white, straight and unoppressed old grannies who only stay because they're too deaf to understand the latest sermon on how Jesus was really crucified by homophobic priests for being a lesbian. Seriously, I love this thread. I spend half my life observing liberalism and evangelicalism and wondering which irritates the shit out of me more (obviously I know the solution is the join The Plot and spend the rest of my life in a stone cell on Mount Athos chanting 'Lord have mer-see' ten thousand times while banging my head on the floor, which has been especially sharpened for the purpose, but I need time to absorb this).

Anyway, Ken and Radical Whig [Overused]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Actually banging your head on the floor was never in style on Athos. You're thinking of Sinai, maybe, or Scetis.

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Actually banging your head on the floor was never in style on Athos. You're thinking of Sinai, maybe, or Scetis.

Apologies....though of course being a woman I wouldn't be allowed on Mount Athos anyway....OPPRESSION!!!!!!!!!!
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Shhh! Don't disturb them! They think they're the only church.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Shut up, bloody peasant!

Just think of Athos as a giant men's locker room. I'm sure it smells it. There are plenty of women's monasteries that I'm sure would be happy to welcome you! [Biased]

[damned crossposting interlopers!]

[ 14. July 2010, 08:49: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
You forgot "Lord, we just wanna praise you / pray to you / thank you (delete as appropriate)". Though I'm equally amused at people who bang on about The Marginalised in far away countries while turning their nose up at the sort of worship The Marginalised in far away countries seem to actually quite like.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
while turning their nose up at the sort of worship The Marginalised in far away countries seem to actually quite like.

You mean Catholicism?

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
There are plenty of women's monasteries that I'm sure would be happy to welcome you!

But do they bless themselves from the left with two fingers bent slightly inwards or from the right with three fingers bent very inwards? [Paranoid] See, I'm nearly ready to be Orthodox...
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
while turning their nose up at the sort of worship The Marginalised in far away countries seem to actually quite like.

You mean Catholicism?
I was more thinking Pentecostalism, about I don't think their Catholicism would pass muster either. Most South American Catholics wouldn't know what a maniple was if it bit them on the arse.

Anyway, they hate women too....even when they are women

[ 14. July 2010, 08:58: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
[Paranoid] See, I'm nearly ready to be Orthodox...

You sound like a double-crosser.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016