homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to make something Christmassy for my friend Daniele and her family. Her husband is very seriously ill with cancer, so the plan is for the family to gather at their home for what is likely to be their last Christmas together. As you can imagine, she's not feeling terribly festive, but wants to do this. I'd like to help in some way, by making a few festive goodies. BUT
her granddaughter has many allergies, and can't eat nuts or eggs.
her son is gluten intolerant.
her other son is vegetarian.
her son in law has low sodium diet.
Paul can't eat raw vegetables and is now type 2 diabetic.

Please can any of you brilliant people suggest some things I could make that might help relieve the burden on Daniele a little?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It almost looks as though you would need to cook a separate dish for each guest, but there's a website here that might give you some useful recipes to cover several of the special dietary requirements in one dish.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am thinking risotto. Arborio rice, onions, white wine, vegetable stock - in itself, a satisfying dish. Add more luxury vegetables - peas, asparagus, artichoke hearts. Put out little bowls of additions and toppings - Parmesan, veggie grated cheese, crispy lardons, pine nuts, crispy fried onions, prawns etc. Make a mega salad of green leaf and crunchy veg (lettuce, rocket, spinach leaves, red pepper, olives, cherry tomatoes) plus a couple of dressings people can add to taste (vineagarette, creamy).

Pudding - choice of fresh fruits and dried fruits with greek yoghurt or mascapone for them as can take it.

Wine - there are dry whites suitable for diabetics (in Austria, they make some specially) with richer whites, and, if possible, some sparkling.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse, are dairy products OK? I've been feeding vegetarians for decades and have a pretty good stock of favorites, but my husband and his brothers love their cheese.

If bean dishes are acceptable, I have some favorites for those, too.

Some of our standard holiday goodies for the non-carnivores (which the carnivores happily devour as side dishes) are:

Moosewood Cookbook Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Broccoli-Cheese Casserole (sort of a pate: grated cheddar cheese, cream cheese, grated carrots, onions, eggs (sorry!), with the broccoli as a filling; all baked in a bain marie).

A crock-pot soup of white beans, sweet potatoes, garlic, fresh ginger, a bit of hot pepper, tomatoes, and kale or spinach and more.

Once I find the recipes for these and maybe others, I'll post the details. I haven't yet moved all the cookbooks and recipe files from Tiny Town to Tinier Town, but that's on my To-Do list to prepare for Christmas!

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to mention the ratatouille. I'll dig out a recipe, but I just make it ad lib because I like potatoes more than summer squashes. Goes nicely with rice, plain or maybe that risotto.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Moosewood Cookbook Spaghetti Squash Casserole

That looks yummy!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Indeed it is. And all my suggested recipes (once I find them and post them) have the proper holiday meal attribute of being yummy as leftovers. The Broccoli-Cheese, like turkey, is good both cold and re-warmed. [Smile]

Sadly, I have never found a following for my modified (less sweet plus some chopped cabbage for crunch, nutrition, and a little peppery zest) version of a Jell-O salad from my childhood. *sigh*

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also like the look of the spaghetti squash casserole. I grow them, but never know quite what to do with them other than bake, butter, and sprinkle with herbs. It will be good to be able to make a proper dish.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If one were to have a, say, 1.5kg joint of topside (as Sainsbury's seem to like selling it in - we are in a recession after all, and I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that Jamie's recipe suggests a 1.5kg joint), can one sensibly cook half to rare-medium and the other medium-well done?

I can only think of chopping it in half when it's just about to think about passing rare and letting the rest carry on. Presumably, though, thinking about letting meat rest, etc., the joint wouldn't like that.

I realise I could just get two smaller joints or just serve it how we like it rather than some of the guests do but I've also got in mind that meat's easier to roast in bigger bits.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I can only think of chopping it in half when it's just about to think about passing rare and letting the rest carry on.

Why not chop it in half before you start cooking it? Add the bit-that's-to-be-rarer later, and then whip the whole lot out at the same time.

I don't think size matters (in this instance). It is X minutes per Y weight whatever.

[ 15. December 2010, 22:22: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the request of ferijen, here is the recipe for my yummy Christmas truffles.

Basic recipe:

Melt 250gms of dark chocolate over hot water. WHen its melted, stir in 7 tablespoons of double cream until it's lovely and glossy and yummy looking. Bung it in the fridge for about an hour or until it's a good consistency for handling. If it's too firm leave it out of the fridge until it softens a bit *keep an eye on it - mines back in the fridge again because I forgot about it!*

Roll into nice truffle sized balls using hands and teaspoons.

Cover with melted chocolate/dessicated coconut/chocolate strands / cocoa powder...

Give as yummy presents

Those quantities make about 36 truffles.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick cross-pond question: when an American recipe calls for all-purpose flour, is that what we would call self raising or plain?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Plain.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Righty ho, it's not as if we bought something without any real idea of what to do with it, or are trying to lure out any particular Wodderwickshipmates, but...

We've got a collection of Indian spices - turmeric, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, black onion seeds, fenugreek seeds and black mustard seeds. The thought was that we'd make a curry with some diced mutton (and possibly some diced pumpkin that needs eating up). The problem is that we've not got the foggiest where to start - any ideas?

We also have a fairly well stocked kitchen so we are not short of ginger, tomatoes, garam masala, onions, garlic etc, so there's plenty of extras. We just aren't sure what to do with the spices, as we've not used most of them before.

Bright ideas would be much appreciated - thank you!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
At the request of ferijen, here is the recipe for my yummy Christmas truffles.

Basic recipe:

Melt 250gms of dark chocolate over hot water. WHen its melted, stir in 7 tablespoons of double cream until it's lovely and glossy and yummy looking. Bung it in the fridge for about an hour or until it's a good consistency for handling. If it's too firm leave it out of the fridge until it softens a bit *keep an eye on it - mines back in the fridge again because I forgot about it!*

Roll into nice truffle sized balls using hands and teaspoons.

Cover with melted chocolate/dessicated coconut/chocolate strands / cocoa powder...

Give as yummy presents

Those quantities make about 36 truffles.

With the exception of 'give as yummy presents' I can confirm this is a tasty recipe.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

While waiting for Wodders to waft in on a lotus...

Here is recipe from Madhur Jaffrey** which I've done countless times:

1" cube of fresh ginger*
8 cloves garlic*
2 lbs lamb (or beef)
10 whole cardamon pods
2 bay leaves
6 cloves
10 peppercorns
half a cinnamon stick
Finely chopped onion
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp paprika mixed with half tsp cayenne (or to taste)
pinch salt
6 tblsp plain yoghurt
pinch garam marsala

Make a paste from the ginger, garlic and a little water.*

Brown the cubed meat in a little oil over a highish heat. Remove from the pan and put in the cardamon, bay, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon and stir briefly. Add the onion and fry until it begins to brown. Put in the ginger-garlic paste and stir. Add the coriander, cumin, paprika/cayenne and salt. Tip back the meat and its juices. Blend in the yoghurt at tablespoonful at a time. Stir and fry for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Add half pint water, bring to the boil, lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about an hour (or until tender).

Raise the heat to reduce the sauce, and sprinkle on the garam marsala. Eat.

*ginger/garlic paste is a very frequent basic constituent. You can even buy ready-mixed minced garlic and ginger in jars. But it does taste better made fresh.

**Her Indian Cookery is still the one to get if you are starting out. I've been using it for 20 years.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum bought Madhur Jaffrey's Indian cookbook many moons ago, and it was notable for having the first recipe I ever saw with eight cloves of garlic in it ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
**Her Indian Cookery is still the one to get if you are starting out. I've been using it for 20 years.

Wholeheartedly seconded. I've had my copy for about the same length of time and cooked my way through most of it.

[ 22. December 2010, 07:05: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing to remember with Black Mustard Seed is that it should always be dropped into hot oil as pretty much the first ingredient in the recipe. It will sputter and pop but then that is what it is supposed to do. If using cumin/jeera seed, rather then powder, this should be added to hot oil AFTER the mustard seed.

You could easily adapt my, or rather HWMBO's, Kadai Vegetable recipe above for meat - if you do I'd still add some fresh chopped tomato and/or capsicum a few minutes before the end or, indeed, after you turn off the heat, to give it a lovely fresh, zingy flavour.

A little fresh green coriander/cilantro is good as a garnish as well.

If adding yogurt always do it at a fairly high heat as it should be fried in so it doesn't curdle. In typical South Indian fashion I prefer my yogurt on the side in a little dish so I can have a little mouthful of "curd rice" occasionally or right at the end of the meal.

I wasn't going to have any lunch today as I am alone but now I'm hungry - and it's all your fault!

[ 22. December 2010, 07:25: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's also worth adding that you can go for Indian flavour without necessarily doing a proper recipe.

Last night I covered a baking tray with chicken joints, chunks of potato and cauliflower*. I sprinkled them lavishly with cumin, coriander, tumeric, chopped fresh chili and a little cayenne. Drizzled on some oil, and turned everything until it was coated. Roast for about 40 minutes, and there you have an entire meal.

*roasted cauliflower is more interesting than boiled. Had I been doing things more carefully, I would have added it after about 20 minutes, so it was less soft at finish.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Wholeheartedly seconded. I've had my copy for about the same length of time and cooked my way through most of it.
I've also been using it for years.

Depending on how you cook it, 8 cloves of garlic is not a lot. I have Italian recipes which call for baked garlic bulbs; and when kept whole garlic does not turn out very garlicky.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very true, LK; chicken with 40 cloves of garlic (left whole in their little papery jackets and baked with the chicken) is indeed very garlicky, but in a Very Good Way.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Very true, LK; chicken with 40 cloves of garlic (left whole in their little papery jackets and baked with the chicken) is indeed very garlicky, but in a Very Good Way.

Then again, if I'm thinking of the same recipe as you seem to be, the large amount of butter also contributes to the great flavour. However, unless one knew of 40 cloves of garlic in the recipe, it would be hard to estimate anywhere near that number.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone more learned than I [that doesn't narrow it down much, I know] once explained it is because the stuff that makes garlic, garlic is a "binary flavour" and until it is cut the fullness isn't revealed.

Now that I have exhibited my level of ignorance perhaps someone with some knowledge of chemistry will happen along and confuse me even more.

[ 23. December 2010, 04:37: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following a request from Kingsfold on another thread - sausage, pumpkin and sage casserole.

This is a recipe that can be adapted and still works well. I left out the banana shallots and beans, and used somewhat less stock than the recipe asked for. I can only say that this proved so delicious I've since made it a few more times and passed the original recipe on to a friend (who also amended it in his own way, and ended up very pleased with the results).

It might be possible to make this with butternut squash, pumpkins being in short supply. Neither of us has tried yet but it's a possibility for when I run out of pumpkins.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm. That does sound good - thanks Ariel.

Co-incidentally, I've got a butternut squash sitting around somewhere....

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How much pumpkin by weight do you usually use, do you happen to know? I have half of a very large pumpkin and I'm not sure how many small pumpkins this might equate to.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

A small pumpkin would be about 2 lb when peeled and prepared. I used about 1 lb, but I was only cooking for myself, and my largest casserole dish isn't that large.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Following some discussion on the British thread in AS, here's my kipper pâté recipe:

1 x 250g packet plain Philly cheese
2 tins kipper fillets, drained
1 clove garlic, crushed or chopped
2-3 tbs olive oil
A small knob of butter, melted
About 1 tbs lemon juice
Very small pinch of salt and very generous grind of pepper.

Whizz everything together in a food-processor until it's all amalgamated, tasting and adjusting the seasoning (including the lemon juice) at the end.

Serve with toast or crackers.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - we went with Firenze's, and have also stolen Mother Knotweed's copy of Madhur Jaffrey. I can see an outbreak of curry monster coming...

The plan was to try HWMBO's veg recipe last night, but I suddenly reached the point of couldn't keep my eye's open, and had a nap, so we ended up frying some mushrooms in the leftover olive oil from an Olives et Al jar and bunging them on pasta.

We had every ingredient except the cayenne (since remedied!) and it was absolutely delicious - and the intensive prep at the start followed by a long "stew" was ideal for sorting everything else out too.

Thank you!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been given a whole pecan pie by some friends. We will be away from our own kitchen for a few days. What is the best way to store it? Fridge? Freezer? Cold window ledge?

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Properly covered, it shouldbe ok in the freezer. Just remember to thaw (and warm a little, if having ice creams with it.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

If you freeze it, you might want to cut it into quarters, so you can thaw and a reasonable amount. If you do cut it up, you could experiment by storing a slice or two in the refrigerator and on that window ledge.

Pecan pie being pretty much just nuts and sugar, I would expect it to survive at cool room temperatures (50-60F - maybe 'cold' by most people's standards) for at least up to a week. I suspect the pastry (because of the fat) will be the limiting factor in how long it keeps.

I store pumpkin and fruit pies in my oven (it's convenient and prevents cats from licking at the pumpkin!). They are fine for up to three days (the longest they've ever gone before the last piece was eaten). This for pies which the experts insist 'must be refrigerated' or they will be unsafe.

ETA: My 'cool' kitchen temps (for an old house with a wood stove) are averages. The pies survive fluctuations from 45F to 70F+ during the course of the day in winter.

[ 24. December 2010, 15:21: Message edited by: jlg ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Well, that's Christmas Eve dinner done - scallops on Stornoway black pudding with crispy bacon and new potatoes in butter and parsley.

A Heidsieck with, and a 21-year old sherry cask Bruichladdich to follow.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided to try to cook a harvest chili. It contains three winter squash(butternut, acorn, and one whose name I forget), diced carrot, 2 serrano chilies, some garlic and onion. I sauteed these together and put in a pot with diced tomatoes and vegetable broth then boil down. I also used cumin, chili powder, and oregano. It smells great so far.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... an Olives et Al jar ...

Is that as nice as it sounds? Olives et what?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every year I buy a jar of cranberry sauce to have with the Christmas turkey, and every year we only use a few spoonfuls. Are there any recipes which use cranberry sauce?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to go and dig it out, but somewhere I've got a recipe for a cranberry cheese cake - it's a baked cheese cake, so very unfashionable.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May be unfashionable bur sounds good!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

OK you gourmandistas, bring out your best chicken marinades. Hogmanay looms, and I've said I'll bring slivers of chicken, done at least 3 ways. Bonus points for anything which can be successfully reheated in a microwave.
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I'll have to go and dig it out, but somewhere I've got a recipe for a cranberry cheese cake - it's a baked cheese cake, so very unfashionable.

Baked cheesecakes are the best. Fashion be damned.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear, hear! Although I'm not a big cranberry fan.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
OK you gourmandistas, bring out your best chicken marinades. Hogmanay looms, and I've said I'll bring slivers of chicken, done at least 3 ways. Bonus points for anything which can be successfully reheated in a microwave.

I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure the combination of microwaving leftover cranberry sauce and turkey (for which chicken will suffice) is out there just waiting for you to google.

The usual thing would be some stuffing and gravy, but unless you want to resort to the prepared stuff out of a jar or bag rather than the real thing, you won't have it.

So maybe one with a bit of last-minute in the microwave cheese (parm?) and herbs (rosemary?), another with lemon and tarragon and pepper, and the third with that simply that cranberry sauce?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
OK you gourmandistas, bring out your best chicken marinades.

I'd suggest marinating chicken pieces in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper. It's probably helpful to blend the mixture so flavours are distributed evenly, though this isn't essential.

If you want to be a bit more elaborate, you can add some chopped fresh thyme, a pinch of cayenne and a little paprika to the marinade. Or you can substitute cinnamon for the thyme. Either way, serve with a garlic sauce (made from the ingredients for the basic marinade, so just the lemon, garlic, oil, salt and pepper, blended smoothly). These are both classic Middle Eastern ways of doing them.

Otherwise I'd do a teriyaki or Chinese style - soy sauce, rice wine/dry sherry, sugar, five spice, grated ginger, a little crushed garlic.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, ancient from a magazine - so ancient it doesn't have metric equivalents, and another for bonus where I found it. They are obviously advertorial recipes for Ocean Spray cranberry sauce and jelly, and I've only ever tried the cheesecake, but liked it enough to keep the recipe

CRANBERRY CHEESECAKE

FOR THE BASE
4oz digestive biscuits
2oz butter
2 level teaspoonfuls caster sugar
½ level teaspoonful cinnamon
9" round flan case, preferably with a loose base

FOR THE FILLING
8oz cream cheese or curd cheese
2 eggs size 3 or 4
1 level tablespoonful cornflour
1½ oz caster sugar
Half a 13½oz jar or whole 6½oz jar Cranberry Sauce

FOR THE TOPPING AND DECORATION
¼ pint soured cream
4 level tablespoonfuls Cranberry Sauce

Crush the digestive biscuits (you don't need the instructions in the recipe about a plastic bag and rolling pin, do you?). Melt the butter and add the biscuit crumbs, sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Press into base of the flan tin. The recipe suggests a potato masher does this well.

Beat the cream or curd cheese to soften it, then beat in the eggs, cornflour and caster sugar. Stir in the cranberry sauce, and pour the mixture on top of the biscuit base.

Bake just above the centre of the oven at Gas Mark 5 or 375F or 190C for 25 minutes until the cheese cake is lightly set. Take the cheesecake from the oven and increase the temperature to Gas Mark 8, 450F or 220C, stir the soured cream and spoon it gently over the cheesecake. Return to the oven for 5 minutes exactly. Leave the cheese cake to cool before removing it from the tin. Spoon cranberry sauce around the edge before serving.

Apparently it freezes well. (And I costed it up whenever I made it at £1.20! - this goes back to when I was a student, when I was cooking from Madhur Jaffrey's An Invitation to Indian Cookery, too, and was when every bistro was selling cheesecake as pudding as the height of sophistication - the horrible early uncooked ones with blackcurrants cooked to a jam. This one was refreshingly less revoltingly sweet.)

CRANBERRY MOUSSE

1 packet raspberry jelly
half a 13½ oz jar or a whole 6½ oz jar cranberry jelly
4 eggs
2oz caster sugar

FOR THE DECORATION
¼ pint double cream
¼ pint single cream
2 level teaspoonfuls of cranberry sauce
piping bag with large star pipe attached

Dissolve the raspberry jelly in ¼ pint of boiling water then stir in the cranberry jelly. Leave to cool.

Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the sugar until light and fluffy. When the jelly is almost on the point of setting stir it into the yolks. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry and lightly fold into the mixture, then pour into a glass bowl and leave to set.

Whisk the creams together until stiff enough to pipe, and fill the piping bag with the star pipe attached. Pipe rosettes of cream on top of the mousse and decorate each rosette with a little cranberry sauce.

Apparently - never made it, so can't comment - this mousse is equally delicious made with strawberry or orange jelly.

other suggestions

other than eating it with other meats, particularly cold ham or tongue, they suggest using cranberry jelly in gravy to add colour and flavour to liver, venison, jugged hare and curry sauce!?
They also suggest cranberry sauce or jelly with ice cream, any flavour, but particularly with chocolate.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Tandoori chicken strips? Not sure about reheating it in the microwave, but that's a marinade and then cooking - if you wanted to be really entertaining, disposable barbecue and grill them properly!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Right, I think I'm going with Ariel's near eastern, a sticky honey-soy-ginger Chinesy one, and something Tex-Mex with way too much chili.

Cooking on site would be better, but impractical, giving the space available, number of people and, to be frank, the likely sobriety of the cook.

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... an Olives et Al jar ...

Is that as nice as it sounds? Olives et what?
Sorry, off-line for Boxing Day, then visiting people with no net connection till this evening. Olives et al are very nice indeed (where's the drooling smiley gone?), and that bit of cooking was the oil from a jar of these. They do deliver outside the UK, but I've no idea what that might cost! (But their customer service people always replied to emails when I had problems with the old site.)

Be warned, they use good ingredients, so when it says it tastes of garlic it does.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, CK - that site looks utterly yummy, but I may have to make do with what I can get over here. Then again, I might try one of these.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

At a French Market at Farnham in surrey a few years ago we got some olives marinated in Celery and Garlic - they were SUPERB!!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016