homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seeing as the old thread appears to have gone the way of Oblivion (and I think the Anniversary episode is coming up), here's the news that some videos of Patrick Troughton-era Doctor Who have been found in Nigeria, including that of "The web of fear".

Article in Guardian

[ 30. December 2014, 00:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amazing! I remember the yeti in the underground story from when it was first shown. It really freaked me out. The nearest impact I can compare it to is the "don't blink" angels - which was REALLY freaky.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see the DVDs are being rushed through production and will be out around the time of the 50th birthday, with episode 3 of The Web of Fear as a reconstruction featuring audio and still screenshots.

This is extraordinary news. If I had to make a list of Troughton stories I'd want to see recovered, I think only The Power of the Daleks would come higher on the list than these two. There are those that hail Enemy of the World as a particular treasure, because it features Troughton playing two very different roles. He really was an exceptional and subtle actor.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
If I had to make a list of Troughton stories I'd want to see recovered, I think only The Power of the Daleks would come higher on the list than these two.

I might have wished for The Macra Terror and/or Evil of the Daleks in addition to The Power. But yes, those two will do.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Delighted, but have to wait for the DVDs to come out as iTunes in Ireland is an inferior product that doesn't do TV programmes. But hey I could buy and download the Peter Cushing "Dr. Who and the Daleks" movie [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't cope with downloading and stuff (sad but true) so I've just pre-ordered the DVDs. Great news [Smile] !

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Dafyd, The Macra Terror is an intriguing one. When late '60s tv was good, it was very very good. I'd really like to see it. And of course, Fury from the Deep, notoriously scary.

The BBC have put trailers for the new discoveries on youtube:

The Enemy of the World
The Web of Fear

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh. My. God.

Nine episodes of Troughton in one hit? NINE????

*falls off chair*

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a strange compulsion to drop everything, fly to Africa and spend the next goodness knows how long travelling around from TV station to TV station, looking in dark corners and seeing how many more missing gems there are to be found....

Ship expedition, anyone?

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is wonderful, but I was really hoping for some more Hartnell. The story I most want to be found is The Myth Makers, where there are no episodes surviving - as far as we know.....

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
I have a strange compulsion to drop everything, fly to Africa and spend the next goodness knows how long travelling around from TV station to TV station, looking in dark corners and seeing how many more missing gems there are to be found....

Ship expedition, anyone?

There is actually a website where someone compiled all the known information about each copy of a serial that the BBC sent overseas, including the ones that went from country to country in Africa. Truly staggering stuff, and it gives you somewhere to pick up where the trail led circa early 1970s.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

Ship expedition, anyone?

If you did, you might find yourelf pitted against Phillip Morris, the Indiana Jones of the film world. He's the person we have to thank for this.

I was going through some of Philip Sandifer's blog, Tardis Eruditorum, for his thoughts on the two "new" stories. I've always found him fascinating, and mostly agree with his assessments. His entries on these two back in 2011 were, of course, based on reconstructions. You can read them here (Enemy) and here (Web). He's now seen the rediscovered and restored episodes. The short version of what he thinks of them is that Enemy is the classic he believed it to be, and then some (largely thanks to Troughton); and Web perhaps isn't quite the turkey he thought it was.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The BBC have put trailers for the new discoveries on youtube:

The Enemy of the World
The Web of Fear

I didn't actually look at the trailers initially, but the crispness and clarity of Enemy of the World, especially, is astonishing. Fantastic work on the remastering.

[ 12. October 2013, 11:36: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
and Web perhaps isn't quite the turkey he thought it was.

He doesn't think it's a turkey; just that he doesn't think it's one of the towering heights of Doctor Who and other people, whom he wants to argue with, do.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Hey. I haven't seen it since it was first shown on the Beeb. I can't comment on whether it was a "classic" or not. All I can say is that both my wife and I (independently) remember it as something that scared the shit out of us at the time. At the end of the day - THAT's what Dr Who should do. If more children were scared shitless on a regular basis, this country would be a far better place. (BTW - that's not my opinion - it's my daughter's firmly held and frequently articulated belief)

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Okay, "turkey" is too strong (although I'm sure I remember Sandifer using the word somewhere). Interestingly, he mentions the theory of how some lost stories gained their classic status: either through the novelisations, or through nightmares. It seems to be a popular opinion that Terrance Dicks's novelisation of Web is pretty good (I don't think so: I think Dicks was much better when he was given the time and a sufficiently generous word count to indulge his imagination). But what seems to have contributed to Web's status is its nightmare factor - there are some key moments and images that are just brilliant, and haunt the imagination. Even when I watched the trailer, the scene where the foam/fungus is filling the mouth of the Underground tunnel is somehow scary. And there's the truly creepy sequence right at the beginning of episode 1 where the Yeti comes to life (accompanied by the same eerie piece of Bartok that Kubrick used in The Shining!).

I notice, by the way, that the DVD of Web will be released in February, three months after Enemy - and there's already speculation that this means they're commissioning an animated version of episode 3, rather than a reconstruction. [Yipee]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Web also has the advantage of having the first appearance of Lethbridge-Stewart (before he is promoted to Brigadier) which is enough to make the story "classic" for some. Like, ummm, me.

An animated version of the missing episode would be great. I just finished watching The Ice Warriors with two of the 6 episodes animated.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Sandifer has a bee in his bonnet about season 5 as a whole that pushes him into some exaggerated statements. I'm aware that this is a reaction to other people's statements about season 5 (how wonderful it is and how great 'bases under siege' are) - and in fact Sandifer himself sometimes discusses how fandom worked as it developed in the 1980s and no-one could actually see episodes for themselves - but I still think some views of season 5 on both sides are caricatures. Half of the claimed 'bases under siege' either don't involve a 'base' or don't involve a 'siege'.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...how some lost stories gained their classic status: either through the novelisations, or through nightmares.

Works for me.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Photos released from 50th anniversary show.

John Hurt in the Tardis!

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone see the speculation going around on Facebook that the pictures of John Hurt in the TARDIS showed him wearing the Ninth Doctor's jacket over the Eighth Doctor's suit?

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually now that I see the photos more closely that doesn't even seem like speculation or a theory, that pretty much seems to be just what he's wearing.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A link to the Guardian from that page brought up this which I found interesting. If the episode is already written (anyone know if they have filmed yet?) that is some scary stuff from Mark Gatiss. I mean Web of Fear would not have been found when it was written?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Presumably he saw it first time round - is he old enough? Or else read the book. Or else is being economical with the actuality and is really referencing a bona fide Holmes story involving the Underground.
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other day Mr Marten and I watched 'The Aztecs' (Hartnell) which I'd recorded from Watch channel (currently showing a season of Who episodes and related interviews etc.). I don't recall seeing it first time round, although we did used to view every week, but what struck me were:

a) Barbara's spiritedness and strength of character
b) the Doctor's inventiveness and anger
c) the fact that a female character immediately fell in love with the Doctor (so - not a new feature of the stories [Biased] )
d) the Doctor's insistence that they should not interfere and rewrite history
e) the ham acting of the man playing Tlotoxl, which looked like he'd seen every bad production of 'Richard III'

An interesting and thoughtful story. Anyone else wallowing in Watch's season?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Oo, I didn't know Watch were screening old episodes. I must look out for them. The Aztecs is one of my favourite stories - obviously a bit slow by modern standards, but a brilliant script, nicely acted. I even like Tlotoxl, who really does ham it up like crazy. I think the character works because he's so obviously the opposite of everything that the High Priest (Tonila?) is - quiet, rational and dignified.

I treated myself to a DVD copy of The Tenth Planet last week. Hartnell's last story, and the Cybermen's first. I like it - it's very good in places - but I wouldn't call it great. It's a pity Hartnell isn't in it very much, because when he is, he's on excellent form, playing against Robert Beatty as General Cutler. Both characters assume they're in charge, and the scenes where they're competing to demand respect are excellent.

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I treated myself to a DVD copy of The Tenth Planet last week. Hartnell's last story, and the Cybermen's first. I like it - it's very good in places - but I wouldn't call it great. It's a pity Hartnell isn't in it very much, because when he is, he's on excellent form, playing against Robert Beatty as General Cutler. Both characters assume they're in charge, and the scenes where they're competing to demand respect are excellent.

It's just a shame about the Cybermen - Charles Hawtrey in silver bodystockings.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Okay, "turkey" is too strong (although I'm sure I remember Sandifer using the word somewhere). Interestingly, he mentions the theory of how some lost stories gained their classic status: either through the novelisations, or through nightmares. It seems to be a popular opinion that Terrance Dicks's novelisation of Web is pretty good (I don't think so: I think Dicks was much better when he was given the time and a sufficiently generous word count to indulge his imagination). But what seems to have contributed to Web's status is its nightmare factor - there are some key moments and images that are just brilliant, and haunt the imagination. Even when I watched the trailer, the scene where the foam/fungus is filling the mouth of the Underground tunnel is somehow scary. And there's the truly creepy sequence right at the beginning of episode 1 where the Yeti comes to life (accompanied by the same eerie piece of Bartok that Kubrick used in The Shining!).

I notice, by the way, that the DVD of Web will be released in February, three months after Enemy - and there's already speculation that this means they're commissioning an animated version of episode 3, rather than a reconstruction. [Yipee]

As prepration for the 50th Anniversary edition, I've been reading the anniversary novels the BBC has bunged out. First Who books I've read since the 80's. Terrance Dicks wrote for 6 - Players - and it's excellent. As are the ones for 2 and 5. The others are okay, but I'm only up to 6 so I'll report back.

Tubbs

PS New, vintage Who. [Yipee] That's Christmas sorted.

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:

....e) the ham acting of the man playing Tlotoxl, which looked like he'd seen every bad production of 'Richard III'...

BTW don't you think that Matt Smith would be an excellent choice to play Richard in any new dramatisation following the events of this year? He's the right age, and certainly got the hair, the nose and the jaw!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I have just been watching The Ice Warriors and The Krotons. I have watched one episode of the Krotons before - it was on television between Tom Baker and Peter Davison.
Conclusion: the Ice Warriors is by far the more competent script, the Ice Warriors are better villains, the actors are all excellent, and it's just all a little dull. The Krotons by contrast - the script's got holes a mile wide, the Krotons are actually not bad, some of the actors are just reciting their lines, and um... it's just a whole lot of fun. They should have got that scriptwriter in again - once he's got a bit of practice he might turn out quite good.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

The BBC website has a vote for the best Doctor Who villain feature at the moment. (There is obviously only one answer to that. And no, it's not the Weeping Angels.) What strikes me is the choice of villains for the shortlist. The Sontarans and the Yeti / Great Intelligence have not made the cut, unlike such new series classics as er... the Ood, those clockwork robots from Girl in the Fireplace, and the Judoon. (Certainly, the clockwork robots are brilliant one-off monsters - with the emphasis on one-off.) It could be worse I suppose - twenty-five years ago we might have got the Valeyard or the Vervoids.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
The BBC website has a vote for the best Doctor Who villain feature at the moment. (There is obviously only one answer to that. And no, it's not the Weeping Angels.) What strikes me is the choice of villains for the shortlist. The Sontarans and the Yeti / Great Intelligence have not made the cut, unlike such new series classics as er... the Ood, those clockwork robots from Girl in the Fireplace, and the Judoon. (Certainly, the clockwork robots are brilliant one-off monsters - with the emphasis on one-off.) It could be worse I suppose - twenty-five years ago we might have got the Valeyard or the Vervoids.

[Disappointed]

I was under the impression that the Ood and the Judoon, while both being used as "Special Guest Monster" on a regular basis, were actually good guys, just hampered by unfortunate alien quirks, such as looking creepy or being Vogonifically officious in doing their duty. If they're being described as villains, that's even more wrong than the total absence of any monster that hasn't appeared in NuWho. Presumably the Sontarans don't make the cut because they're officially potato-headed comic relief now.

Still, at least they didn't include the bloody Slitheen.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The BBC website has a vote for the best Doctor Who villain feature at the moment. (There is obviously only one answer to that. And no, it's not the Weeping Angels.)

Well, what is the "obvious" answer? I'm hesitating between three. The Daleks or the Master if we're thinking across all the decades, and the Silence were quite creepy in the new series. The Weeping Angels could have had it but lost the plot in later episodes. To win the accolade it needs to be a long-term enemy rather than a one-off.
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Photos released from 50th anniversary show.

John Hurt in the Tardis!

He seems to had a good rummage through the Doctor's old wardrobe. Is that 9's leather jacket?!

Did anyone else spot Kate Stewart, daughter of the Brigader in the background?! [Yipee]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Well, what is the "obvious" answer? I'm hesitating between three. The Daleks or the Master if we're thinking across all the decades, and the Silence were quite creepy in the new series. The Weeping Angels could have had it but lost the plot in later episodes. To win the accolade it needs to be a long-term enemy rather than a one-off.

The Silence have only appeared in two stories, both in the same season. They don't count. Besides, they're obviously stand-ins because Moffat didn't want to use the Weeping Angels again.
As for the Master: evil masterminds who are villainous counterparts to the hero are not exactly unique or even original to Doctor Who. The best Master story - Survival - is partly about what a rubbish villain he is. I don't think the Weeping Angels have lost the plot, but they're still only runners-up. It has to be the daleks. How could it not be the daleks?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Whether or not it's the Daleks depends very much on who's writing them.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Did anyone else spot Kate Stewart, daughter of the Brigader in the background?!

I'd forgotten who Jemma Redgrave would be playing.

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
and Web perhaps isn't quite the turkey he thought it was.

He doesn't think it's a turkey; just that he doesn't think it's one of the towering heights of Doctor Who and other people, whom he wants to argue with, do.
0:41 in the above youtube link:

"London, in fact the whole of England might be completely wiped out!"
"...Oh dear."

Anyone think this episode might have been lost on purpose?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went into Waterstone's to buy my nephew a book token, and was sidetracked by a very low down display of Dr Who books. Only 2 from the 50th set, plus Douglas Adam's Shada, but also "Summer Falls" bound with a detective story "by" Melody, and a Victorian melodrama "by" someone else, with linking parts "by" or about Amelia Williams, and what look like hints.
Didn't buy it - going to look for e-versions. Summer wasn't that marvellous.
Spent too much on the latest science collaboration by Pratchett et al, and the folk thing about Discworld as well.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Whether or not it's the Daleks depends very much on who's writing them.

I doubt that there are any monsters that are proof against bad writers.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I doubt that there are any monsters that are proof against bad writers.

Well, there's the Cybermen, but only if the writers don't have gold pens. [Razz]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I've gone back to watching 'classic' Doctor Who, namely the first 2 seasons of the Pertwee era.

I'm up to The Claws of Axos and it's just flat out strange. I know the creatures are supposed to be strange, but that doesn't necessarily mean the editing and dialogue should be so peculiar as well.

I did thoroughly enjoy The Mind of Evil. And I was impressed by Inferno too. Nothing like watching the world be destroyed to create a sense of doom.

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Tom Bakerite here. The earlier Docs are brilliant but still stick to him. I am not alone as 'The Talons of Weng Chiang' and 'City of Death' regularly vie for the top spot in 'best of the classic series' polls.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

I saw the first episode of The Enemy of the World the other evening, courtesy of a friend who bought the iTunes version. It was utterly superb. In fact I think I'd say it's the best single Troughton episode I've ever seen. What surprised me most (and made me smile) is how flirty the Doctor is with Astrid! I'm really very much looking forward to the DVD release.

I assume we've all seen the trailer for The Day of the Doctor? Superb montage - it's the sort of thing I find myself wanting to watch one frame at a time!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I assume we've all seen the trailer for The Day of the Doctor? Superb montage - it's the sort of thing I find myself wanting to watch one frame at a time!

I've been playing the "Match the sonic screwdriver to the Doctor" game with that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there any word as to what will be done when we lose the 12th Doctor? Presumably that's the end of the character, but one notion might be to bring back the Doctor's daughter and have her inherit the Tardis. What do you think?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

They'll just pull some elaborate timey-wimey trick to break the 'rules'. I mean, in recent years Doctor Who finales are absolutely FULL of that kind of stuff.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Is there any word as to what will be done when we lose the 12th Doctor? Presumably that's the end of the character, but one notion might be to bring back the Doctor's daughter and have her inherit the Tardis. What do you think?

The "twelve regenerations" thing (by which we get thirteen Doctors, not twelve) was a plot device used by Robert Holmes in The Deadly Assassin to explain why the Master couldn't regenerate out of his decayed form. Holmes seemed to enjoy stuff like that - potentially big ideas thrown away on details of plot that could have been solved any number of ways. (Either that or - my theory - he only did it to annoy the Doctor Who Appreciation Society, who were very annoyed by The Deadly Assassin.)

We won't lose the Doctor. It'll be re-fudged somehow. After all, the Master seems to have been blessed with a new regeneration cycle. One of the most popular ideas in fandom is that among Time Lords, twelve regenerations is an imposed limit rather than a natural one - so with the Time Lords gone ....

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to a wonderful friend, who gave me Lost in Time, I am currently on a Hartnell tour, working my way through the DVDs (where they exist) and the excellent audio reconstructions (where the pictures have been lost). Those early episodes are wonderful, with a haunting quality that gets lost later on. However, the word on the time stream is that there are a lot more missing episodes due to be unveiled soon; the nine that have just come out are not the end.

In addition, I'm going to the big celebration at Excel on 24th November. Will any other Shipmates be there?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's my birthday! Raise a screwdriver for me, willya?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016