homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is?
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Calling BigAL to Hell thread , young Wood foolishly posted:
quote:
Speaking as the Most Protestant Person On The Ship By A Long Way™ (and I DEFY you to prove otherwise) Josephine is in fact, for once, right.
Is he RIGHT?

[ 13. September 2003, 08:16: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

This poll has been moved to another board.

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Foolishly? I think not.

I voted "yes" and "no" (inasmuch as BEING Wood, I can't be more Protestant than me [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
[Killing me]

Foolishly? I think not.

I voted "yes" and "no" (inasmuch as BEING Wood, I can't be more Protestant than me [Big Grin] )

Oh Tarnation!! I hadn't entertained the possibility of you voting. Oh well - well done for navigating the logical obstacles!

Pax out, y'all,
anglicanrascal

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've fixed the poll.

P'shaw! Who are these pretenders?

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

People who are more Protestant than Wood:

Please identify yourselves and give your reasons.

Wood
# 7

[Testosterone fueled bravado]
Yes! defend your Protestant-ness before me!
[/Testosterone fueled bravado]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't these questions tautological - if you believe that there is no-one more Protestant than Wood, then you cannot say that you are more Protestant than Wood, can you? And if you believe that you are more P- than Wood, he therefore cannot be the most P- person on the ship - I think?

[i before e except after c...]

[ 02. July 2003, 12:37: Message edited by: Rhisiart ]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am really very protestant.
But Wood - what on earth qualifies you?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/stephenhillmusic

Posts: 1269 | From: Dublin. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

I know why I'm a Protestant, and I'm prepared to fight you for it.

[Ian Paisley voice]
SHIP OF FOOLS SAYS NO!
[/Ian Paisley voice]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Care to share your protestant credentials with us?

[ 02. July 2003, 12:40: Message edited by: Jimi Kendricks ]

--------------------

Wood
# 7

Hah!

You'll not catch me with your trick questions!

I have no credentials! Just loads of Bibles! That's the point! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more of a Protestant than Wood; whatever everyone else thinks, I will protest against it.
And Ian Paisley certainly has his good points.

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't voted because I don't understand the question. Could Wood please explain why he thinks he is the most protestant person here, and why?

I have read his profile and some of his web site, and they indicate that he is very creative but not that he is very protestant (apart from a bald assertion of that fact in his profile, but anyone can say that)!

Does Wood have some ultra-protestant writings that I can peruse? Can we see pictures of him indulging in very protestant behaviours? Enquiring minds want to know!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

Not at all! You only need one bible - as long as it's the right translation, of which there is also only one.

--------------------

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ps Wood, if you ever want to challenge me to a debate in Hell about who is more Protestant I'm up for it, I am sure the rest of the ship would enjoy the laugh.
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hah!

You'll not catch me with your trick questions!

I have no credentials! Just loads of Bibles! That's the point! [Big Grin]

[John Cleese voice] You've got loads of Bibles? That's it? Your whole argument?[/John Cleese voice]

I bet the Pope's got more Bibles than you. So is he more Protestant? [Razz]

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

Ignore the wee idiot, let's keep the bitching here.

Wood, you're either afraid of exposing your fraudulent claims or you're writing a big-ass defense of your non-conformist zeal.

Which is it? You're deceiving no-one here. We will not be duped by your rhetoric.

--------------------

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by junior fool:
ps Wood, if you ever want to challenge me to a debate in Hell about who is more Protestant I'm up for it, I am sure the rest of the ship would enjoy the laugh.

Why would you being crushed like a bug be particularly funny, exactly?

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Moth:

But they wouldn't be real Bibles. They would be Popish ones with all those extra non-canonical books in them.

They.just.don't.count.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
quote:

But they wouldn't be real Bibles. They would be Popish ones with all those extra non-canonical books in them.

They.just.don't.count.

[Killing me]

Call me self-absorbed, but I an LOVING this thread.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

I'm sure someone would find me being crushed amusing. That said it sounds like you believe your own propaganda just a little more than you should.

[ 02. July 2003, 13:11: Message edited by: junior fool ]

Wood
# 7

quote:
I'm sure someone would find me being crushed amusing. That said it sounds like like believe your own propaganda just a little more than you should.

Think you should go check out some of the threads in Limbo. I don't have any propaganda.

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

OK - here's a question to decide who is the most Protestant. The first one to reply wins a point.

Question 1

On which day does the Church celebrate the solemn feast of Sts Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley?

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

Of course, I was expecting you to admit that you did. Forgive me for being so stupid.
Wood
# 7

Q. On which day...?

A. I don't know.

[ 02. July 2003, 13:14: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

The church??

Which "The Church"?

--------------------

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

I object to the labeling of particular men as saints; only God knows the heart. Saints days are because the CofE is only partially Reformed.
Wood
# 7

quote:
Of course, I was expecting you to admit that you did. Forgive me for being so stupid.

You're forgiven given that was a public and not private! confession.

Find some, I'll admit it.

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Jimi Kendricks:
The church??

Which "The Church"?

How many Churches do you think there are, Jimi Kendricks?

[Be very VERY careful. Points may be at stake here!]

Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:
The church??

Which "The Church"?

How many Churches do you think there are, Jimi Kendricks?

[Be very VERY careful. Points may be at stake here!]

The church is all believers. Duh.

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
I object to the labeling of particular men as saints; only God knows the heart. Saints days are because the CofE is only partially Reformed.

1 point for junior fool.

You are looking a bit shaky here, Wood.

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted that I was less protestant than you, Wood. Have you drawn this thread to the attention of Fr. Gregory, Jesuitical Lad, Cosmo et. al.?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
quote:
quote:

They.just.don't.count.

[Killing me]

Call me self-absorbed, but I an LOVING this thread.

OK, you're self-absorbed. But are you Protestant and self-absorbed, eh?

Until I see some clear scriptural authority for your claims, I will not believe!

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more protestant than Wood, but I have to keep it quiet as me other half's anglo-catholic.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

quote:
Which "The Church"?

The question was a misnomer. There are many churches that think they are "The Church", but God knows who His children are.

--------------------

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
The church is all believers. Duh.

OK, 1 point for you too, Wood.

Question 2

When a Bishop ordains a person to the Diaconate, what colour stole should that person wear over his/her alb?

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am FAR more Protestant than either Wood or JK. Were not the Goths responsible for the Sack of Rome in 410? Do I not go to a Baptist church? Do I not possess a 'Cults and Heresies' book which has as its first chapter 'Roman Catholicism'? Did I not find St Mark's (Venice) a depressing and over-ornamented place, an argument for Not Being a Catholic?
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
OK, you're self-absorbed. But are you Protestant and self-absorbed, eh?

Until I see some clear scriptural authority for your claims, I will not believe!

Well, there's the bit in Jeremiah where they say "They say to Wood, 'You are my father!'"

Or, um, there's the "life-giving wood of the True Cross found in every Orthodox Altar of the Mid-

Oh.

Bugger.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to back down and go off to do some work.

See you later, my more Protestant brothers and sisters (and props to the Catholics and Orthodox types, too)! [Big Grin]

[You must all bow to me. I just mended the post-code of a single number member, and with a 2 minute edit chance! Hurrah [Big Grin] ]

[ 02. July 2003, 15:00: Message edited by: ChrisT ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
I'm more protestant than Wood, but I have to keep it quiet as me other half's anglo-catholic.

-1 point for Stoo. (2 Cor 6:14)
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

Alaric T G - we haven't even started boasting of our credentials yet, just answering standard Q's.

Church tradition is historically responsible for the misleading the church. Using a stole is meaningless and the colour of it is therefore irrelevant.

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:

When a Bishop ordains a person to the Diaconate, what colour stole should that person wear over his/her alb?

What colour is the alb?

--------------------

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Church tradition is historically responsible for the misleading the church. Using a stole is meaningless and the colour of it is therefore irrelevant.

1/3 point for Jimi Kendricks. (Could do better - why no condemnation of Bishops or Romish Albs in your answer?)
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oi!

Anglo catholics are still protestants!

And it's white (the stole)

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

Change the line of questioning AnglicanRascal, my answer to Q.2 is along the same lines as the second part of my answer to Q.1
The Goths weren't really protestants, although sacking Rome would be a good way of protesting.
Wood as regards propaganda I simply meant the quote at the top of the thread; I don't think you have some secret Protestant manifesto stashed away somewhere.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
What colour is the alb?

Is this a trick question? Albs can only be white. The word Alb derives for a Latin(?) word meaning "White".

+1 point to Moth for not knowing the Latin (=Popish) word for white.

Wood
# 7

Right. It's a fair cop; I've been shamed as a closet pseudo papist now, and I REALLY HAVE TO GO, but Junior Fool:
I hope this is enlightening.

[ 02. July 2003, 13:33: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:

[Disappointed] -1 point
quote:
And it's white (the stole)

[Disappointed] -1 point. Stoles are Romish and therefore a tool of the Devil. The same goes for Albs, Chasubles, Dalmatics and Tunicles. For the proper way to deal with use of such items, see the Announcements of Divine Service and Clerical Vestures Ordinance 1949 from Sydney Diocese.
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:

quote:

Only in a sociological, rather than a doctrinal sense! Unless genuflecting before the blessed sacrament and venerating our Lady are protestant practices.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

quote:
1/3 point for Jimi Kendricks. (Could do better - why no condemnation of Bishops or Romish Albs in your answer?)

I protest. That's worth 2 points at least.
Concerning bishops - most of them are so apostate that they don't deserve mention. Regarding the term "bishop", it is a valid translation of the original text, though in my fellowship we prefer the term "pastor".
Romish Albs? The devils DIY toolkit I'm sure, but I don't make it my priority to know more about RCs than is necessary (and I include High-Anglicans and indeed, most Anglicans under the term RC, although there is a handful of well-meaning misled amongst them).

[ 02. July 2003, 13:39: Message edited by: Jimi Kendricks ]

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
quote:
What colour is the alb?

Is this a trick question? Albs can only be white. The word Alb derives for a Latin(?) word meaning "White".

+1 point to Moth for not knowing the Latin (=Popish) word for white.

Thank you for the point, but I was being economical with the truth! See here for proof of my perfidy! Still, I could have learnt Latin for the express purpose of revealing Popish trickery!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016