homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Bethel brainwashing (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Bethel brainwashing
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This just in from Bethel church, Redding, California:

Sixteen flood victims raised from the dead in Brazil

Now, if someone can come up with some decent evidence, I'll just have to repent. But this article smells rotten from the start. No names and confused writing. The link to the alleged article in the local paper on that page is broken, but I found it on this blog. The screenshot of the page looks like a bad photoshop and while my Portuguese isn't up to much, I don't think the lead story is about 16 resurrections.

Besides, the local paper is actually online and has a list of articles by date. The only available article for the alleged date of publication, Jan 16, is the list of local dead.

This is the church whose leader got an enthusiastic reception at New Wine a few years back and whose conferences, while clearly charismatic, are exerting influence well beyond that sphere.

How can any church claiming to be a responsible organisation make such huge (and, to the victims, grossly insensitive) claims without better substantiation - and get away with it? It took me all of five minutes to dig up those links above. Are they so self-deluded they can't even be bothered to check the veracity of any testimony they get sent?

How long before the whistle gets blown on this deception?

[ 10. January 2015, 20:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup - looks like a load of bollocks to me.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a bit of numerology at the end of the article, which sends my bullshitometer off the scale.

This kind of thing doesn't glorify God. Stop it Bethel and your nutjob mates.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did a little reading up on the church. It appears to be an Assemblies of God church on the far, far end of the charismatic prosperity gospel spectrum. Just an example of one of the teachers who will be teaching at an event in February:

Bob Jones:

"When only seven years old and walking on a dirt road in Arkansas; the Arch Angel Gabriel appeared to Bob Jones on a white horse and blew a double silver trumpet in his face. He then threw an old bull skin mantle at Bob’s feet. Although fearful at the time he ran, however, many years later he returned to pick up that old mantle which is that of a Seer Prophet. Bob Jones is known as a contemporary prophet with a great love for the Lord Jesus and His truth. His prophesies have spanned over four decades as the Lord has enabled him to foretell earthquakes, tidal waves, comets, and weather patterns. Like Daniel who functioned at an incredible level, Bob has often told leaders their dreams and experiences, as well as the interpretation.

After his death experience in 1975 God sent him back to minister to church leadership and reach the multitudes with His love, truth and equipping the saints with understanding of the spiritual gifts. God promised Bob that he would see the beginning of one billion souls coming into the kingdom in one great wave of the end time harvest.

Bob moves with a clear revelatory gifting, accompanied by gifts of healing and miracles."

This is one church I'd run from as fast as I could.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's parody, right?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
It's parody, right?

Nope.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
After his death experience in 1975

Death experience?

Does that mean the guy is actually dead, or merely toyed with the idea of death in a non-fatal way?

Because, you know, if there's an actual dead guy preaching the Word, I don't know whether to book a front row seat or practice my head-shots...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
It's parody, right?

Nope.
If you're in the kind of CofE church from which people go to New Wine, the chances are good that folks from your congregation have heard the leader of Bethel, Bill Johnson, speak.

[ 23. January 2011, 13:01: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
If you're in the kind of CofE church from which people go to New Wine, the chances are good that folks from your congregation have heard the leader of Bethel, Bill Johnson, speak.

You just triggered the memory of meeting this pastor when I was working for a brief time with a ministry team in Weaverville back in 1979. Small world. Bethel is not one I'd visit or work with now, going by the "testimony" in your OP and some of the guest teachers they have.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Because, you know, if there's an actual dead guy preaching the Word, I don't know whether to book a front row seat or practice my head-shots...

Depending on how well the head-shot practice goes you may still need a front row seat.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The whistle gets blown often. Few are listening, though.

It's like that story of the angel in a remote chinese village who showed up with bibles and converted this village that hadn't heard of Christianity. As farcical as it is, it keeps showing back up, even on here.

This one is easier to debunk, but still....if it takes hold, it'll be there for quite a while.

All this makes me wonder if, in Revelation, there shouldn't've been a verse "And anyone who shall make up fake feel-good bullshit in My name shall be well and fucked when his day comes."

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only thing keeping me interested in this story is the question of exactly who fabricated what, and when.

But taking it at face value, I'm surprised that no one at Bethel's noticed the obvious symbolism of what happened. This occurred in Brazil, an overwhelmingly Catholic country, and 16 people were resurrected (10+5+1, as they say, or to put it another way, XVI). Clearly, this is a call to the nations to return to the bosom of Rome under Benedict XVI. Surprisingly, this seems to have escaped them - I wonder why?

(All obviously very tongue-in-cheek, but I'd expect such a remarkable miracle to be accompanied some sort of prophetic word, and I've heard much more hung on much less.)

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
quote:

The whistle gets blown often. Few are listening, though.
Yes, but this is not just some backwoods tin hut mission. It's a ministry that many mainstream Anglicans (for instance) seem to take seriously (although I hear that some big shot from New Wine has since called BS on it in a polite, non-confrontational way...).

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:

Depending on how well the head-shot practice goes you may still need a front row seat.
*gives tgb my best 1000-yard stare*

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
This occurred in Brazil, an overwhelmingly Catholic country

I understand pentecostalism is sweeping Brazil and between that and secularization the RCC is feeling squeezed.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Bob Jones:
"When only seven years old and walking on a dirt road in Arkansas; the Arch Angel Gabriel appeared to Bob Jones on a white horse and blew a double silver trumpet in his face. He then threw an old bull skin mantle at Bob’s feet. Although fearful at the time he ran, however, many years later he returned to pick up that old mantle which is that of a Seer Prophet.."

When I read this it was an entirely different part of the bull that came to mind [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Just checked with a Brazilian Portuguese colleague. According to her, even allowing for the sub-Grauniad spelling of journalists, the article is so full of basic grammatical errors that it there is no way it was published in a newspaper.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Sixteen flood victims raised from the dead in Brazil (...) The link to the alleged article in the local paper on that page is broken, but I found it on this blog.

I see someone has found time to "fix" the link on the Bethel page, but it doesn't point to what they claim it points to... it points here, which shows lots of pictures of dead bodies and coffins, but no resurrections
[Disappointed]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
After his death experience in 1975

Death experience?

Does that mean the guy is actually dead, or merely toyed with the idea of death in a non-fatal way?

Indeed; surely some material there for George A Romero?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
This occurred in Brazil, an overwhelmingly Catholic country

I understand pentecostalism is sweeping Brazil and between that and secularization the RCC is feeling squeezed.
Sure, go ahead and spoil my fun. But you learn something new every day, so thanks.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

They've pulled the alleged newspaper report and the related link and put up a pathetic disclaimer which alleges all the same things on even less evidence. I have a screengrab of the original page and of the "newspaper report", though...

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ammo is cheap, so always remember Rule#2. Double-tap.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not that I am particularly a fan, but I have heard that New Wine are consciously distancing themselves from the whole prosperity/neo-gnostic thing they got embroiled with a few years ago. Last year's list was a lot more 'centrist' - someone told me there was something of an apology to church leaders for the speakers booked around 2005 - 2008.

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Any chance of finding a link? I think it's high time Bethel was exposed, not just quietly dropped.

--------------------

ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Any chance of finding a link? I think it's high time Bethel was exposed, not just quietly dropped.

Afraid not. It was all word of mouth. You know how these things work [Eek!]
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad New Wine are distancing themselves from Bethel and doing 'the decent thing'.

They will do this in a quietly Anglican way, no doubt.

It's a shame they aren't more Anglican in everything else ...

[Razz] [Biased]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
quote:

Ammo is cheap, so always remember Rule#2. Double-tap.
Or even go for the Mozambique drill?

Also I notice that Bethel has pulled the testimony in question: "Sorry, looks like you were trying to locate something that we couldn't find." The last listed testimony is now from the 18th Jan. At least they're not incompetent as well as credulous.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
Sure, go ahead and spoil my fun. But you learn something new every day, so thanks.

I wish there was another way...

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
At least they're not incompetent as well as credulous.

No retraction and no apology, though. And I don't expect they'll be saying anything to their folks who picked up on it, either.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"Sorry, looks like you were trying to locate something we couldn't find."

Yes, signs of intelligent life.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

It's a shame they aren't more Anglican in everything else ...

[Razz] [Biased]

[Overused]

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
At least they're not incompetent as well as credulous.

No retraction and no apology, though. And I don't expect they'll be saying anything to their folks who picked up on it, either.
First rule of urban legends: retractions don't propagate. The truth is uninteresting compared to the spicy story that you had to share, and retraction causes the retractor to lose face. And thus the story carries on doing the rounds, and Craig Shergold continues to receive cards.

Unfortunately, stories of answered prayers and other miraculous happening propagate in exactly the same way as urban legends, and retractions are socially taboo in church circles. It worries me that some people seem to build their entire basis of faith around those type of stories.

- Chris.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
It worries me that some people seem to build their entire basis of faith around those type of stories.

Indeed. ISTM that the entire culture of Bethel is devoted to this. They actively discourage even healthy scepticism (remember that "building a doctrine out of a disappointment" quote?).

Thus you have an emperor's new clothes type of set-up. They might be scared to retract for fear of undermining people's faith, so they don't. So they are in even more of a tricky position the next time round. And so it goes on, in larger and larger proportions.

The "disclaimer" (which has itself now disappeared and which, unlike the original article, I didn't get a screengrab of), said something to the effect that "we've taken down the newspaper article because so many people wrote in, but we still think it's true". The implicit blame is on the people calling BS for not playing along, not a calling into question of the facts.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Found a very similar disclaimer here, though:

quote:
It has come to our attention that the alleged newspaper article originally included in this post needs further investigation therefore we have removed it from the post.
However, at this point, we remain confident that our source is reliable and this story is true. All testimonies from God, like gifts, are received by faith. The choice is yours to believe

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

There's nothing new under the sun.

quote:
Falsehood flies, and Truth comes limping after it; so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late, the jest is over, and the tale has had its effect: like a man who has thought of a good repartee, when the discourse is changed, or the company parted: or, like a physician who has found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
(J. Swift)

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Found a very similar disclaimer here, though:

quote:
It has come to our attention that the alleged newspaper article originally included in this post needs further investigation therefore we have removed it from the post.
However, at this point, we remain confident that our source is reliable and this story is true. All testimonies from God, like gifts, are received by faith. The choice is yours to believe

[Roll Eyes]
And of course, if you don't believe the testimony you don't have faith.

I highly doubt there will be another word on the site about the Brazilian "resurrections".

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:
There's nothing new under the sun.

quote:
Falsehood flies, and Truth comes limping after it; so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late, the jest is over, and the tale has had its effect: like a man who has thought of a good repartee, when the discourse is changed, or the company parted: or, like a physician who has found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
(J. Swift)
Love the quote!

- Chris.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From their Contact Us page

"Because of a high volume in e-mails and phone calls, we may not be able to get back to you. This does not pertain to conference registration or ibethel store orders. Thank you for understanding."

Translation? - We may not bother to get back to you unless you're trying to give us money. You will understand that people who aren't trying to give us money can go to hell.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the link to the Healing Herald site, this paragraph jumped out at me:

quote:
After chapel on Saturday morning when they fell under the power, the team went out into the streets and the morgue and raised 16 people who had died in the floods 3 days earlier from the dead
(Bold added by me)In the summer in Brazil, bodies from a flood that had been lying around for three days????

oops, silly me!!!! I just didn't get the obvious resurrection implication. And the circumstances were so similar [Help]

[ 26. January 2011, 02:57: Message edited by: Geneviève ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Follow-up: this story was still being held up as an example to follow in a local church last Sunday. [Disappointed]

Meanwhile, this just in from Bill Johnson:

"You can only hold on to one thing at a time - the promise of God or disappointment. You'll have to drop one to embrace the other." [Mad]

--------------------

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Geez... hearing this kind of stuff is NOT good for my soul. This idea that you can't be a conscientious observer and still have faith drives me mad! Honestly, I say let the likes of Bill Johnson drink the purple cool-aid... it's the one's who blindly follow them chanting "hallelujah" that I feel sorry for.

This is one of the reasons I'm starting to seriously question the entire Protestant line of thinking, any cowboy with a Bible in his hand can claim to be a "leader", or an "apostle", or what-have-you and he'll get people following him right up to the vat. They're not accountable to anyone to explain their action, theology, or in this case the use of the "testimony" they collect; and God forbid you ask to look into their finances!

I really think the Orthodox and Catholics might have something with that whole hierarchy thing.

~Jake

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Um, welcome to Hell. That's a brave place to make a maiden post...

[ 25. February 2011, 07:38: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eh... I can take it. [Help]

Actually, you're the one that brought me to the ship, I was researching NFI you see...

But don't let me drag the thread off topic, I'm just saying "thanks for the welcome."

~Jake

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

That's all right. They leave virginity at the Door, didn't you, my sweet?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

This one looks like he might fit right in [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And thus the story carries on doing the rounds, and Craig Shergold continues to receive cards.

Craig beat his cancer, and grew up to have a successful comedy career on Peep Show, QI and That Mitchell and Webb Look.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Eutychus: I have a screengrab of the original page and of the "newspaper report", though...
Is this the screengrab? To the left the original newspaper, to the right the same paper after it was Photoshopped by Bethel. Yes, the newspaper report is *very* convincing [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The one on the right is the initial purported article which according to a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker colleague of mine is absolutely not worthy of a newspaper article grammar-wise and everything else (she refused to waste her time translating it).

Besides, the font is wrong. If we've got any native Brazilian Portuguese speakers on board willing to waste their time *cough* I mean "perform a valuable service in the interests of the Ship community and the Truth™", and attempt a translation into English, I'll find my bigger screengrab when I can.

(at first glance the one on the left is bona fide; but as I said upthread, I see bodies, not resurrections...).

[actually, looking at the title of your screengrab more closely, I wonder whether a link to wherever it was posted might be productive. It seems to be being discussed in Brazil for some reason [Smile] ]

[ 25. February 2011, 11:34: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Eutychus: It seems to be being discussed in Brazil for some reason [Smile]
I did a search on Brazilian sites, but in fact I found very little. I can do a translation if you find the text (or at least point out how many errors there are.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Eutychus: (at first glance the one on the left is bona fide; but as I said upthread, I see bodies, not resurrections...).
I'm sorry for the double post, but I'm afraid you didn't understand. The picture on the left is the real front page from O Diário de Teresópolis that day, which mentions nothing about people being raised from the dead.

The picture on the right is... something else.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016