homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Easter Message : Christ did not die for sin (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Easter Message : Christ did not die for sin
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Richard Collins:

quote:
Forgiveness, like repentance, is so much more than a 'mental ascent' to NOW think something which one had previously not thought.

It, if it is to copy the very nature of God, must involve a fundamental shift in desire and aim. A metamorphasis of the heart.

I'm not certain of that. I think one of the big problems with PSA is that it understands God's forgiveness to be entirely like our forgiveness. When +Willesden forgives UCCF, to take a topical example, he changes from a state of indignation towards UCCF to a state of non-indignation. I quite simply don't think that God is like that. When we talk about God's forgiveness we are talking about a change in us, not in God who is immutable. St Augustine writes:

quote:
Let not the fact, then, of our having been reconciled unto God through the death of His Son be so listened to or so understood, as if the Son reconciled us to Him in this respect, that He now began to love those whom He formerly hated, in the same way as enemy is reconciled to enemy, so that thereafter they become friends, and mutual love takes the place of their mutual hatred; but we were reconciled unto Him who already loved us, but with whom we were at enmity because of our sin.
(Incidentally we ought to chalk this one up to the thesis that the Fathers may have used PSA like language but did not teach PSA.)

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
(Incidentally we ought to chalk this one up to the thesis that the Fathers may have used PSA like language but did not teach PSA.)

Not unlike the Bishope of Durham in that case. [Razz]

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
But my answer is that it IS retribution not forgiveness if taken out on the guilty party. The point is that Jesus as God takes the "retribution" and pain thereof on himself: so God's attitude towards us is "forgiveness".

I think that I do understand this. But I also think that the concept of "God punishing himself" opens up the possibility of expressing atonement in a non-violent way. I think "God punishing himself" opens up the possibility of saying "God graciously forgives"

quote:
I do think Atkins has it right that PSA is far more about God saying "sin matters to me" than it is about retributive justice, because, as many people have pointed out, substitution actually gets in the way of retribution.

I always thought that the historic theory of substitionary atonement was more about saying "sin matters to God". But, if that's the case, is it then so wrong to simply posit the idea that sin matters vitally but that God forgives? Why do so very many[1] PSAers get so upset with the rest of us about doing so? Why do so many[1] claim that 'without PSA there is no salvation'?

Again, I think Miroslav Volf does a darn good job of putting forward all the constructs for saying "sin matters vitally to God, but God forgives graciously" in his book Free of Charge even though the book never once argues for any particular theory of atonement. Volf ain't no liberal (or, who knows, maybe he is to some people?)

[1] Please note that I have deliberately avoided saying "all" because I know that there are a number of PSA-people out there who don't consign the rest of us to non-salvation.

[ 27. April 2007, 10:36: Message edited by: Seeker963 ]

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qupe
Shipmate
# 12388

- Posted      Profile for Qupe   Email Qupe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit wary of posting this as I've dipped in and out of this thread and I've lost count of who has said what, so please forgive me if I just repeat what everyone else is saying! [Hot and Hormonal]

Anyway, I've been following this debate about PSA and it has perplexed me! (Doesn't take much..!) [Biased] because I have not found it at all easy to say with any great certainty 'where I stand' (to use an awful overused christian expression) on the issue. I have always believed that Jesus took my punishment on the cross; yet the idea of God the Father punishing Jesus in my place is a bit questionable...

I belong to an Anglican evo church and recently we had a sermon basically saying 'PSA is true; it's in the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation'. The sermon left me a bit dissatisfied and feeling that our vicar, lovely though he is, had not even begun to address the issues raised by Jeffrey John or Steve Chalke. (IMO there's been a lot of knee-jerk reactions going on).

Anyway I had one of those 'eureka!' moments yesterday when the whole thing suddenly started to make sense to me. IMHO, it's all about understanding the Holy Trinity - it's not that nasty angry authoritarian God sent poor little innocent Jesus into the world to be killed - as Jeffrey John said, if any human behaved like that they would be a monster. No, appreciating the Trinity teaches us that in Christ, God himself came into the world and of his own choice, out of love, took upon himself the sin of the world.

There can be no status or heirachy in the Trinity, can there? God is God is God, whether manifested through the father in heaven, the suffering man on the cross, or the Spirit at work in the world today. Therefore Christ on the cross was the highest expression of God there is, because every moment of his life was the higest expression of God. So the idea of God the Father being the authority which must be placated suggests that the Father has a greater status within the Trinity than the Son - that doesn't sound right to me. As Jeffrey JOhn said, the Trinity cannot be divided.

The whole thing about 'cosmic child abuse' becomes a nonsense when the gospel is interpreted in a trinitarian way. People who choose, with full understanding of what they are doing, to give their lives for a higher cause, in order to benefit others, are considered heroes. Isn't that just what God did on the cross?

Sorry to have rambled, or 'stated the bleeding obvious' (John Cleese, Fawlty Towers!) [Smile]

What does anyone make of this argument? Any glaringly obvious holes in it?

--------------------
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Posts: 802 | From: Down the road from the chocolate factory | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan,

I wasn't meaning to say that I thought God's forgiveness involved a 'shift' from hating to loving - but was trying to say that in our forgiving we seek to attain the immutable 'state of God' which - as you rightly point out - is always loving.

I was trying to refute the articulation of atonement which made 'forgiveness' a sort of 'conjuring trick with metaphysical propositions'.

When I was a more conservative evangelical, it was often said that we 'ought' to now behave in a loving way out of gratitude to Christ who went through his passion for us. This 'ethics of guilt' didn't do much for me (and still doesn't). However, when my stubborn and hating heart experiences the love of God-in-Christ-through-the-Spirit I find (stalling and falteringly) that I can come to love the formerly unlovable and forgive the abuser.

In which case my experience of atonement (and I think +Tom in emphasising the 'meal' is pointing to human experience rather than theory) is greater than any notion of being told I'm 'off the hook 'cos Jesus took the penalty for me'.

But I suspect we're onto the psychology of faith as well as Christian assurance.

Incidentally I note that chimichanga has quoted Romans 3 about Christ 'demonstrating God's justice/dikaiosune' and wonder whether differing understanding of atonement flow from the whole 'new perspective' debate?

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Richard Collins:

quote:
I wasn't meaning to say that I thought God's forgiveness involved a 'shift' from hating to loving - but was trying to say that in our forgiving we seek to attain the immutable 'state of God' which - as you rightly point out - is always loving.
In that case I agree with you.

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

Not unlike the Bishope of Durham in that case. [Razz]

Nicely done! Out of interest what would you see as the difference between +Wright's position and that of PSA proper, as it were.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doulos:
it's not that nasty angry authoritarian God sent poor little innocent Jesus into the world to be killed - as Jeffrey John said, if any human behaved like that they would be a monster. No, appreciating the Trinity teaches us that in Christ, God himself came into the world and of his own choice, out of love, took upon himself the sin of the world.

I agree with this bit.

quote:
There can be no status or heirachy in the Trinity, can there?
Well... actually there can in some sense. I don't think I would be guilty of subordinationism if I pointed out that according to orthodox belief the Father begets the Son and breathes the Holy Spirit, yet the Holy Spirit neither begets not breathes either of the other two hypostases.

quote:
God is God is God, whether manifested through the father in heaven, the suffering man on the cross, or the Spirit at work in the world today. Therefore Christ on the cross was the highest expression of God there is, because every moment of his life was the higest expression of God. So the idea of God the Father being the authority which must be placated suggests that the Father has a greater status within the Trinity than the Son - that doesn't sound right to me. As Jeffrey JOhn said, the Trinity cannot be divided.
Although I don't think you're wrong in what you're saying, it seems to me that you might have to approach modalism in order to make the argument strong enough to stand. Jesus Christ suffered and died on the Cross, the Father and the Holy Spirit didn't.

In any case, does it help with the arguments against PSA? I never accepted that the main argument was that it makes God indifferent to the identity of the victim - Lep's been working with that one on this thread. No, the main problem for me is how justice is satisfied by an innocent party taking the rap, and it makes no difference if that party is the son of the judge or the judge himself. It wouldn't be just according to my understanding of justice, if I killed myself in order to save a murderer from punishment.

quote:
The whole thing about 'cosmic child abuse' becomes a nonsense when the gospel is interpreted in a trinitarian way. People who choose, with full understanding of what they are doing, to give their lives for a higher cause, in order to benefit others, are considered heroes. Isn't that just what God did on the cross?
What you're missing is what his life was given for. Now I find this bit very interesting, because I perceive a split between two views both claiming to be PSA here:

1. Christ died because God's justice demands that someone suffers punishment for our sins - that's open to all the question about what justice is, the examples of shooting random people in the street and so on.

2. Christ died because God's justice demands that his hatred of sin be expressed - that's open to the question, "Why?" which can lead to Christus Victor or Abelard quite easily, and isn't what I mean by PSA.

Is that fair?

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The point being, of course, that the price HAS been paid and acknowledged, and we are therefore free to forgive.

I thought you might say that. It doesn't hold water, though.

Assume for a moment that my wife has done something which has really upset me. For example, I've planned a great meal out for our wedding anniversary and she forgets to be there.

I love her - but what do I say?

"I can't forgive you until reparation has been paid"? Of course not.

"I can forgive you but only because Jesus has paid the price on the cross"? No - that won't do either.

"I forgive you because I love you". That's what I would say. It doesn't ignore the hurt but chooses to freely forgive. Why does there have to be a price attached to forgiveness? Why can't it just be freely given?

quote:
I'd say that models Christian forgiveness far more clearly than any of the other atonement "models".

And that just seems to indicate that you have a poor understanding of other atonement models and also of what forgiveness is really all about.

One thing I come back to is this:

Jesus talking to the paralysed man:
quote:
"Friend, your sins are forgiven you."
Jesus talking to the women who anointed his feet:
quote:
Your sins are forgiven."
Not "your sins will be forgiven as soon as I've been nailed to a cross". Jesus forgave sins then and there - where is the price being paid? There was none. That's because forgiveness isn't the same as retribution - forgiveness doesn't need a price.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

Assume for a moment that my wife has done something which has really upset me. For example, I've planned a great meal out for our wedding anniversary and she forgets to be there.

I love her - but what do I say?

"I can't forgive you until reparation has been paid"? Of course not.

"I can forgive you but only because Jesus has paid the price on the cross"? No - that won't do either.

"I forgive you because I love you". That's what I would say. It doesn't ignore the hurt but chooses to freely forgive. Why does there have to be a price attached to forgiveness? Why can't it just be freely given?

There are a number of issues here.

You may forgive your wife because you love her. But let's take the situation that is much more like the Bible describes: your wife has an affair, sells your wedding ring to buy a present for her new boyfriend, and isn't sorry.

Is it then right that you should say "I forgive you because I love you" and that be the end of it? Maybe you say yes. That's fine. I think, and I think the Bible says about God that he demands there be some recognition that that was wrong, that it did not deserve forgiveness. Not that he is unwilling to forgive, but sees that wrong should be resognised as wrong. That's the heart of PSA.

The other issue is why forgiveness has to have a price. Well, its linked, but I guess that depends on how you think the Bible (and church tradition if that's your bag) is concerned with God being seen to be God and sin being seen to be sin. As I said on a few pages before, that's why one of the key questions is whether you think the important effect of sin is on us or on God. Classic PSA, influenced very strongly by the Reformers and Augustine's emphasis that the Gospel is God-centred and ultimately he saves for his glory, puts the "effect" our sin has on God at the centre of the atonement.

I guess Callan, in answer to your question why I think Tom Wright is miles away from classic PSA. The idea of Jesus as lightning conductor drawing evil away from us is S, but not P, because it is not God's attitude to sin being vindicated, but God getting us out of a mess. God is not an active agent in punishing (which is, after all why the word penal is in there!) I guess that's why his view is acceptable to so many who reject classic PSA, which is fair enough, but I think he should come clean!

That's also why I think PSA and CV are so closely linked as to be inseparable; in punishing Jesus God asserts his true character on creation, thus beginning his restoration of his true rule, character and Kingdom in creation (which is where, ironically, Jesus and the Victory of God is so helpful).

Right, that is a long post with a lot packed in: but it's hard trying to answer everyone's objections! Sorry if I missed yours!

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
You may forgive your wife because you love her. But let's take the situation that is much more like the Bible describes: your wife has an affair, sells your wedding ring to buy a present for her new boyfriend, and isn't sorry.

Is it then right that you should say "I forgive you because I love you" and that be the end of it? Maybe you say yes. That's fine. I think, and I think the Bible says about God that he demands there be some recognition that that was wrong, that it did not deserve forgiveness. Not that he is unwilling to forgive, but sees that wrong should be resognised as wrong. That's the heart of PSA.

Of course, for those of us who support SA but not PSA one should freely forgive the wife but the relationship can only be restored if she makes some kind of effort to restore the relationship. Which is what Christ does.

quote:
The other issue is why forgiveness has to have a price. Well, its linked, but I guess that depends on how you think the Bible (and church tradition if that's your bag) is concerned with God being seen to be God and sin being seen to be sin. As I said on a few pages before, that's why one of the key questions is whether you think the important effect of sin is on us or on God. Classic PSA, influenced very strongly by the Reformers and Augustine's emphasis that the Gospel is God-centred and ultimately he saves for his glory, puts the "effect" our sin has on God at the centre of the atonement.
I think I agree with you that sin has a price, in the sense that it has consequences. The crucifixion is, in that sense, the price, the consequences of the crucifying world human beings have created. As you note we differ as to for whose benefit the atonement takes place.

quote:
I guess Callan, in answer to your question why I think Tom Wright is miles away from classic PSA. The idea of Jesus as lightning conductor drawing evil away from us is S, but not P, because it is not God's attitude to sin being vindicated, but God getting us out of a mess. God is not an active agent in punishing (which is, after all why the word penal is in there!) I guess that's why his view is acceptable to so many who reject classic PSA, which is fair enough, but I think he should come clean!
Thanks for that. I pretty agree with you which is why I found Wright's article so annoying!

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know we've had these discussions ad nauseam, Lep, but I still can't see why God insisting on punishment being involved in the "remedying", if you like, of sin, shows God in a better light that Him absorbing the sin into Himself, as +Tom would maybe put it, in other words, forgiving without anyone being punished. Surely the second view places God even higher in the glory stakes, if I can be so irreverent, because He is even further removed from sin, his victory even more absolute. Maybe I'm just being thick, or maybe our moral constitutions are just wired differently, but ISTM that the person who forgives, as it were, ex nihilo, is much more remarkable than one who is able to forgive only on condition that the offence is also punished.

So I agree with you, in a funny sort of way, that the issue revolves around God's glory, but I think that is vindicated more by a non-penal than by a penal view of the atonement.

ETA:
btw, I agree with you about +Tom being non-PSA - That's why I like what he says so much! [Biased] [Big Grin] Like Callan, though, I do think he's being less than straightforward about this.

[ 27. April 2007, 13:47: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doulos:
There can be no status or heirachy in the Trinity, can there?

Yes, there can be. The Father is the source of the Son and the Spirit in a way the Son is not of the Father (or the Spirit, depending whether you ask the RCC or the EOC), and the Spirit is the source of neither the Son nor the Father.

quote:
God is God is God, whether manifested through the father in heaven, the suffering man on the cross, or the Spirit at work in the world today.
This sounds like modalism to me. How God manifests Herself to the world is quite different from the persons of the Trinity.

quote:
So the idea of God the Father being the authority which must be placated suggests that the Father has a greater status within the Trinity than the Son - that doesn't sound right to me.
Which is exactly why I reject PSA. Well, one of the many reasons, anyway.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've re-read Tom Wright's Fulcrum piece, and with apologies for the extent of the quotation, I find it really hard to see how anyone can say that this idea of SA is not penal.

From N.T. Wright here
quote:
The biblical doctrine of God's wrath is rooted in the doctrine of God as the good, wise and loving creator, who hates - yes, hates, and hates implacably - anything that spoils, defaces, distorts or damages his beautiful creation, and in particular anything that does that to his image-bearing creatures. If God does not hate racial prejudice, he is neither good nor loving. If God is not wrathful at child abuse, he is neither good nor loving. If God is not utterly determined to root out from his creation, in an act of proper wrath and judgment, the arrogance that allows people to exploit, bomb, bully and enslave one another, he is neither loving, nor good, nor wise.
<snip>
if you get one part of Isaiah 53 you probably get the whole thing, and with it not only a substitutionary death but a penal substitutionary death, yet without any of the problems that the caricature would carry:

He was wounded for our transgressions
and bruised for our iniquities;
upon him was the punishment that brought us peace
and with his stripes we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned every one to his own way;
And YHWH has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
(Isaiah 53:5-6.)
<snip>
He is the wise and loving creator who cannot abide his creation being despoiled. On the cross he drew the full force not only of that despoiling, but of his own proper, judicial, punitive rejection of it, on to himself. That is what the New Testament says. That is what Jesus himself, I have argued elsewhere, believed what was going on.
<snip>
"God is love, say [some], and therefore he does not require a propitiation. God is love, say the Apostles, and therefore he provides a propitiation. Which of these doctrines appeals best to the conscience? Which of them gives reality, and contents, and substance, to the love of God? Is it not the apostolic doctrine? Does not the other cut out and cast away that very thing which made the soul of God's love to Paul and John? . . . Nobody has any right to borrow the words 'God is love' from an apostle, and then to put them in circulation after carefully emptying them of their apostolic import. . . . But this is what they do who appeal to love against propitiation. To take the condemnation out of the Cross is to take the nerve out of the Gospel . . . Its whole virtue, its consistency with God's character, its aptness to man's need, its real dimensions as a revelation of love, depend ultimately on this, that mercy comes to us in it through judgment." (James Denney, The Second Epistle to the Corinthians, Expositor's Bible, Hodder, 1894, p. 221f.)

When I read that, it sounded as though Denney were addressing Dr John directly. And I was put in mind of a characteristically gentle remark of Henry Chadwick, in his introductory lectures on doctrine which I attended my first year in Oxford. After carefully discussing all the various theories of atonement, Dr Chadwick allowed that there were of course some problems with the idea of penal substitution. But he said, 'until something like this has been said, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the full story has not yet been told.'
<snip>
Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and all because of the unstoppable love of the one creator God. There is 'no condemnation' for those who are in Christ, because on the cross God condemned sin in the flesh of the Son who, as the expression of his own self-giving love, had been sent for that very purpose.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BroJames, the clue is here, in the last paragraph you cited:
quote:
Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and all because of the unstoppable love of the one creator God. There is 'no condemnation' for those who are in Christ, because on the cross God condemned sin in the flesh of the Son who, as the expression of his own self-giving love, had been sent for that very purpose.
God is, in Christ, condemning our sin. Thus God's wrath is directed at our sin, not at us. Thus this is substitutionary, but not penal, because "sin", being a non-sentient concept, cannot suffer and thus cannot materially be punished.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sorry - but this is just setting up a pointless diversion and I don't think it is at all "much more like the Bible describes". It may be what you would like the Bible to describe, but that's another matter. I guess you're trying to describe "total depravity", but as that is a concept I find as alien to Christian faith as PSA, you're not really helping me at all.

I notice that you didn't comment on the way that Jesus forgave people in the Gospels - without price. This utterly undermines the PSA argument that forgiveness requires some sort of payment.

I still maintain that you can only really hold to PSA by having an impoverished understanding of forgiveness. I can't see anything in what you have written so far that leads me to think that you really have grasped what it means to be forgiven. You seem to know what it means to buy someone off (which is what PSA is basically about) - but that ain't forgiveness.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:

Sorry - but this is just setting up a pointless diversion and I don't think it is at all "much more like the Bible describes". It may be what you would like the Bible to describe, but that's another matter. I guess you're trying to describe "total depravity", but as that is a concept I find as alien to Christian faith as PSA, you're not really helping me at all.
I was actually trying to rewrite the story to be more like the story of Hosea, which is the nearest the Bible gets to "God as the wounded lover" analogy that you were playing on as far as I can see.
quote:

I still maintain that you can only really hold to PSA by having an impoverished understanding of forgiveness. I can't see anything in what you have written so far that leads me to think that you really have grasped what it means to be forgiven. You seem to know what it means to buy someone off (which is what PSA is basically about) - but that ain't forgiveness.

I have tried very hard to engage in this debate without questioning anyone's relationship with God or appreciation of the grace of God in Christ. I don't really want to continue in the conversation if you won't extend the same courtesy.

[ 27. April 2007, 16:37: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
BroJames, the clue is here, in the last paragraph you cited:
quote:
God is, in Christ, condemning our sin. Thus God's wrath is directed at our sin, not at us. Thus this is substitutionary, but not penal, because "sin", being a non-sentient concept, cannot suffer and thus cannot materially be punished.
Yes, but sin does not exist in a vacuum. It is always enfleshed, as it were. It is because God enfleshes himself incarnationally in Christ that in that enfleshment in Jesus he bears the penalty of sin.
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Well I could equally say that cancer does not exist in a vacuum, that it can only exist enfleshed in the victim. That does not stop the surgeon hating cancer, nor does it mean that in order to destroy the cancer, he has to hate the person (OK, not necessarly hate, but punish) the victim in order to excise it. If you doubt that +Tom's view is different from the understanding of most (all?) PSAers, consider the lengths he goes to in order not to say that God's wrath is directed towards sinners.

--------------------

Wolfgang
Shipmate
# 10809

- Posted      Profile for Wolfgang   Email Wolfgang   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Yes, but sin does not exist in a vacuum. It is always enfleshed, as it were. It is because God enfleshes himself incarnationally in Christ that in that enfleshment in Jesus he bears the penalty of sin.

Obviously I can't speak for him, but I guess Wright would be comfortable with this analysis. In The Resurrection of the Son of God he comments on Galatians 3, writing

quote:
The transformed fulfilment of the Jewish hope is one of Paul's main subjects in galatians 3. He describes in verses 10-14 how the promise to Abraham, that the whole world would be blessed 'in him', had apparently got stuck when Israel fell victim to the curse of the law. But Israel's God has acted through the Messiah, who bore the law's curse on Israel's behalf , so that "the blessing of Abraham might come on the gentiles in the Messiah, Jesus..."

(p.221)

--------------------
"The socialist who is a Christian is more to be dreaded than a socialist who is an atheist" - Dostoevksy

Posts: 121 | From: The North | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Well I could equally say that cancer does not exist in a vacuum, that it can only exist enfleshed in the victim. That does not stop the surgeon hating cancer, nor does it mean that in order to destroy the cancer, he has to hate the person (OK, not necessarly hate, but punish) the victim in order to excise it. If you doubt that +Tom's view is different from the understanding of most (all?) PSAers, consider the lengths he goes to in order not to say that God's wrath is directed towards sinners.

I'll go with your analogy of cancer and say that it is like a cancer that has spread to every part of the patient's body. There is no part of the patient's body which will escape the impact of the attack upon the cancer. In the same way that the surgeon in working out his hatred of the cancer would affect the whole of the patient, so God's 'hatred' of sin affects the whole human person. The mystery of the atonement is that God himself in Christ bears the whole weight of that hatred "in his own body on the tree"
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe somebody can help me out here with a Bible question. Is the term "wrath" ever used in connexion with the crucifixion, in either the NT, or in OT texts which are thought to be prophecies of the event? I don't mean wrath at sin outside the context of the crucifixion. If as PSA seems to suppose the crucifixion was a matter of Christ redirecting God's wrath from us to himself, which scriptures attest to that?

Thanks.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

BroJames, I think I'd pretty well go along with that account. Of course it is a fuller healing than we have yet discussed, because he not only (to push an analogy probably too far) excises the "cancer" but he restores us such that we are more "healthy" afterwards than we would have been had we never had the "cancer" in the first place! I don't, however, see this as being PSA, since it works perfectly well as an analogy without any penal element.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
I have tried very hard to engage in this debate without questioning anyone's relationship with God or appreciation of the grace of God in Christ. I don't really want to continue in the conversation if you won't extend the same courtesy.

I am sorry if I have upset you. BUT....

I did not question your relationship with God, so don't make out I did. I am also not questioning your appreciation of the grace of God in Christ.

What I AM doing is saying that you (like many other Con Evos - Gordon Cheng, for example who just wrote this: God actually doesn't forgive in the loose sense of that word; which is something sentimental like "Well you have done a bad thing, but let's just pretend it hasn't happened and forget about it.") appear to have a serious failure of understanding about what forgiveness really is.

I'm not trying to insult you - I am really seriously concerned. Forgiveness (not retribution) lies at the heart of the Christian gospel.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
Maybe somebody can help me out here with a Bible question. Is the term "wrath" ever used in connexion with the crucifixion, in either the NT, or in OT texts which are thought to be prophecies of the event? I don't mean wrath at sin outside the context of the crucifixion. If as PSA seems to suppose the crucifixion was a matter of Christ redirecting God's wrath from us to himself, which scriptures attest to that?

I don't think the term "wrath" is ever used in connection with the crucifixion, in either the NT, or in OT texts which are thought to be prophecies of the event. Of course the wrd "wrath" is used about 200 times in the Bible, and many of those times seem to refer to humanity's ultimate judgment because of sin. So the connection is easy to make.

Lots of passages say things like:
quote:
Jeremiah 31:10 “ Hear the word of the LORD, O nations,
And declare it in the isles afar off, and say,
‘ He who scattered Israel will gather him,
And keep him as a shepherd does his flock.’
11 For the LORD has redeemed Jacob,
And ransomed him from the hand of one stronger than he.
12 Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion,
Streaming to the goodness of the LORD—
For wheat and new wine and oil,
For the young of the flock and the herd;
Their souls shall be like a well-watered garden,
And they shall sorrow no more at all.

So God scatters Jacob in wrath, but He also redeems and gathers him.

God's wrath is directed at death:
quote:
Hosea 13:13 The sorrows of a woman in childbirth shall come upon him.
He is an unwise son,
For he should not stay long where children are born.
14 “ I will ransom them from the power of the grave;
I will redeem them from death.
O Death, I will be your plagues!
O Grave, I will be your destruction!
Pity is hidden from My eyes.”

So it's all pretty confusing if we are thinking in terms of where the wrath is directed, how the ransom works, and what redemption is. [Paranoid]

[ 28. April 2007, 12:06: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
So the connection is easy to make.

The connection is easy to make if one already has a presupposition in favour of PSA. Otherwise 'the connection' is question begging.

And I think this is a lot of the problem with the PSA debate. People who have encountered the Bible only within the context of PSA-believing churches simply find themselves unable to read certain texts without seeing PSA in them. Those of us who are not in this situation find ourselves baffled by the fact that they read these texts in this way. And never the twain shall meet.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DOD I agree completely. We read our presuppositions into the texts - which almost always conveniently lend themselves to multiple interpretations.

To me the trick is to find the interpretation that works most consistently for ALL of the texts.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For all the people all of the time?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Martin, I guess that's a decision that everyone needs to make for themselves.

However, there are explanations that are more widely accepted, and others that are less widely accepted. Explanations come under criticism that points out their flaws. Opinions change only very gradually.

My thought is that there is progress over long periods of time - and that better explanations will win out in the long run.

I think that this is what we see happen in every area of knowledge. Why not religion?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I finally get burned out enough, although I have been wondering for a week now what the reconciliation of all this is, I finally toddle off to my former cult which was delivered some 10 years ago and sure enough there is wisdom there as ever.

Can I ask if there is any exception here to this: we have '... a trust in salvation by grace based on Christ’s crucifixion ... There is a basic "core" Christianity — a belief that we can be set right with God through the death of Jesus Christ, as revealed in the Scriptures'.

This is in an article you have to drill down for, there is no link per se, itself inspired by John Stott's Evangelical Truth: A Personal Plea for Unity, Integrity and Faithfulness (InterVarsity, 1999). If one goes to the WCG site, bottom left hand corner, [ Search our site ], [substitutionary atonement ], 5 articles, 1 & 5 are most accessible.

I'm sorry for where I have been dysfunctional, unnecessarily alienating, as at the end of the 5th: "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another" (1 John 4:9-11).

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dobbo
Shipmate
# 5850

- Posted      Profile for Dobbo   Email Dobbo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:

I don't think the term "wrath" is ever used in connection with the crucifixion, in either the NT, or in OT texts which are thought to be prophecies of the event. Of course the wrd "wrath" is used about 200 times in the Bible, and many of those times seem to refer to humanity's ultimate judgment because of sin. So the connection is easy to make.

Lots of passages say things like:
quote:
Jeremiah 31:10 “ Hear the word of the LORD, O nations,
And declare it in the isles afar off, and say,
‘ He who scattered Israel will gather him,
And keep him as a shepherd does his flock.’
11 For the LORD has redeemed Jacob,
And ransomed him from the hand of one stronger than he.
12 Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion,
Streaming to the goodness of the LORD—
For wheat and new wine and oil,
For the young of the flock and the herd;
Their souls shall be like a well-watered garden,
And they shall sorrow no more at all.

So God scatters Jacob in wrath, but He also redeems and gathers him.

God's wrath is directed at death:
quote:
Hosea 13:13 The sorrows of a woman in childbirth shall come upon him.
He is an unwise son,
For he should not stay long where children are born.
14 “ I will ransom them from the power of the grave;
I will redeem them from death.
O Death, I will be your plagues!
O Grave, I will be your destruction!
Pity is hidden from My eyes.”

So it's all pretty confusing if we are thinking in terms of where the wrath is directed, how the ransom works, and what redemption is. [Paranoid]

God's wrath can be turned away at least by implication in Ezra 10 v 14 in certain circumstances

web page

quote:
until the fierce wrath of our God is turned away from us in this matter

--------------------
I'm holding out for Grace......, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity
Bono

Posts: 395 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't Romans 5 v 9 link the cross directly with averting God's wrath or am I missing something?

Is it actually possible to forgive someone who doesn't want to be forgiven? (I can think of instances where people have been terribly offended to hear 'I forgive you' because they don't think they have done anything wrong!)Surely unconditional forgiveness would only be possible by forcing others to accept their guilt?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
Is it actually possible to forgive someone who doesn't want to be forgiven? (I can think of instances where people have been terribly offended to hear 'I forgive you' because they don't think they have done anything wrong!)Surely unconditional forgiveness would only be possible by forcing others to accept their guilt?

There's forgiveness, which can be unconditional. Then there's acceptance of that forgiveness, which as you point out cannot be forced. But I think it's a mistake to conflate the two.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And possibly the offering of forgiveness being irritating is part of the Christian's Revenge -- the heaping of burning coals upon the offender's head, a la Proverbs 25:21 & Romans 12:20.

I enjoy it, anyway. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it is just semantics but I don't understand what forgiveness means without it being willing accepted - isn't forgiveness, by definition, a relational term?

Interesting to quote from Romans 12 in this discussion. There Paul's ethic is one of offering forgiveness unconditionally (no need for the guilty person to appease the innocent). However, the BASIS of Paul's ethic is that God's wrath will avenge the wrongdoing (Romans 12 v 19)

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Maybe it is just semantics but I don't understand what forgiveness means without it being willing accepted - isn't forgiveness, by definition, a relational term?

Interesting to quote from Romans 12 in this discussion. There Paul's ethic is one of offering forgiveness unconditionally (no need for the guilty person to appease the innocent). However, the BASIS of Paul's ethic is that God's wrath will avenge the wrongdoing (Romans 12 v 19)

Well forgiveness is certainly relational, but not necessarily reciprocal. I can choose to forgive someone unconditionally, whether or not they even accept that they have offended me. Should they choose not to accept that forgiveness, it doesn't mean they aren't forgiven, only that they don't accept that forgiveness, that it cannot, if you like, bear fruit in their life. So it also is with God.

Restoration of the relationship is a different kettle of fish, however, and that does require that the forgiven party is willing to accept that forgiveness.

I think it is a huge exegesical step to move from "God is able to vindicate you, so don't take revenge, and here is an OT writing that backs me up", to "You can only forgive if you accept that somewhere, someone has to be made to pay for the wrongdoing". I would see the basis of Paul's ethic as being, "Because you have been freely forgiven, freely forgive others." IMHO this seems to be Jesus' thinking as well.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I think it is a huge exegesical step to move from "God is able to vindicate you, so don't take revenge, and here is an OT writing that backs me up", to "You can only forgive if you accept that somewhere, someone has to be made to pay for the wrongdoing". I would see the basis of Paul's ethic as being, "Because you have been freely forgiven, freely forgive others." IMHO this seems to be Jesus' thinking as well.

(Thanks for the comments about forgiveness - I need to think about that more.)

I agree that there is big jump between the two ideas above. However, my point was that Paul does not base his ethic on "God is able to vindicate you, so don't take revenge..." you are changing what Paul said. He specifically speaks about 'leaving room for God's wrath'.

ISTM that those who have a problem with PSA usually do so because they are rejecting a notion of God being angry with people, and not just their sin. And yet in Romans 5 v 9 Paul says that this is what we are saved from by Jesus.

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
I agree that there is big jump between the two ideas above. However, my point was that Paul does not base his ethic on "God is able to vindicate you, so don't take revenge..." you are changing what Paul said. He specifically speaks about 'leaving room for God's wrath'.

He does indeed, but don't leave out the next verses, also. "I will repay", says the LOrd. Indeed He will, He will repay evil with good, sin with restoration, rebelliousness with repentance. As it says, do not let evil defeat you (i.e. by participating in it) but instead repay evil with good. Don't you think Paul got that from somewhere?

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Sorry to double post, your last paragraph refers to Roman's 5:9. I agree that it is possible to exegise this passage in the way that you have, but it isn't the only, and I don't think it's the best, way to interpret it. Paul is setting up a series of contrasts, a before and after type discourse. Now the question is, do these refer to the objective status of those to whom he writes, or are they descriptive of how they perceive themselves to be. Which is the more consonant interpretation. Those who are into PSA would probably think the first, those who reject PSA for other good reasons find it easier to harmonise the complete message of scripture if they follow the second course.

The other point is that, if we are to take 5:9 in a literal sense, then it doesn't seem to back PSA, because Paul is saying, you have been put right with God - therefore, if God is able to do that, then you will also be saved from God's wrath. This is not the same as saying that the saving from God's wrath and the being put right with God refer to the same event.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
He will repay evil with good, sin with restoration, rebelliousness with repentance. As it says, do not let evil defeat you (i.e. by participating in it) but instead repay evil with good. Don't you think Paul got that from somewhere?

How is God going to do all that without coercion? Otherwise will heaven be heaven?
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
The other point is that, if we are to take 5:9 in a literal sense, then it doesn't seem to back PSA, because Paul is saying, you have been put right with God - therefore, if God is able to do that, then you will also be saved from God's wrath. This is not the same as saying that the saving from God's wrath and the being put right with God refer to the same event.

Point taken, but it seems a bit pointless for Paul to talk about it unless there is wrath that we need to be saved from. Clearly there is a sense here of being under God's wrath and then for something to 'change God's mind' (for want of a better expression)
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

He will also repay with correction, punishment, wrath, death where necessary. As He is.

--------------------
Love wins

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:
He will repay evil with good, sin with restoration, rebelliousness with repentance. As it says, do not let evil defeat you (i.e. by participating in it) but instead repay evil with good. Don't you think Paul got that from somewhere?

How is God going to do all that without coercion? Otherwise will heaven be heaven?
See my post on the UCCF thread. We are in bondage to the law of sin and death. Jesus' death/resurrection breaks the power of this bondage. We still sin, because we are trapped in a fallen body, but when we die we will receive a new resurrection body. Freed from our bondage, our wills will be restored as they were originally intended to be, and we will be freed to chose the choices we would have made, had it not been for our bondage, if you see what I mean.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:

Point taken, but it seems a bit pointless for Paul to talk about it unless there is wrath that we need to be saved from. Clearly there is a sense here of being under God's wrath and then for something to 'change God's mind' (for want of a better expression)
But, of course, that is how it seems to us. People fear (in the non-theological sense of the word) God, because they don't understand that He is loving and forgiving. One of the aims of Jesus' ministry was to replace this image of a wrathful God in people's minds with that of the loving Father.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
But, of course, that is how it seems to us. People fear (in the non-theological sense of the word) God, because they don't understand that He is loving and forgiving. One of the aims of Jesus' ministry was to replace this image of a wrathful God in people's minds with that of the loving Father.

So presumably Jesus didn't do a very good job on Paul - poor Paul [Biased]

"But of course, that is how it seems to us... people assume that God loves us and never punishes sin and therefore we read this into the Bible" [Biased]

I'm sorry, but as soon as you start saying 'how it seems to us' you've lost me. Anybody could use that to say (pretty much) anything.

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Rather, the people of Rome hadn't met Jesus in the flesh, so Paul was filling them in. He was responding to the specific needs of his congo there. Not that there was much "special" about them. The same attitudes are alive and well today.

obviously one of us is right and one is wrong, and we can each pick verses that seem to back our pov. That's the problem with proof texting. The question is which interpretation is the more valid when viewed in the light of the whole of scripture.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
obviously one of us is right and one is wrong, and we can each pick verses that seem to back our pov. That's the problem with proof texting. The question is which interpretation is the more valid when viewed in the light of the whole of scripture.

Too true!

I'm reminded of a story I once heard of an elderly Christian farmer in Ireland who people sought from miles around for his wisdom. No one could understand why someone with no formal education was so wise. When pressed he once, reluctantly, replied ... "oh well, if there is anything in it, it might just be that I've been a Christian for 42 years and in which time I've read the bible 40 times!"

I'm well behind... perhaps it's only right that I go off to church now to read the bible and listen to someone else explain it to me.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 4 Maccabees, ‘expiation’ is used of any Jewish martyr under the Seleucids.(17:22) and they become ‘a ransom for the nation’ 17:21
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
In 4 Maccabees, ‘expiation’ is used of any Jewish martyr under the Seleucids.(17:22) and they become ‘a ransom for the nation’ 17:21

That's right. And the prophets were able to "bear the iniquities" of the Israel and Judah:
quote:
Ezekiel 4.4 “Lie also on your left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it. According to the number of the days that you lie on it, you shall bear their iniquity. 5 For I have laid on you the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days; so you shall bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. 6 And when you have completed them, lie again on your right side; then you shall bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days. I have laid on you a day for each year.

Ezekiel 14:10 And they shall bear their iniquity; the punishment of the prophet shall be the same as the punishment of the one who inquired,

Lamentations 5:7 Our fathers sinned and are no more, But we bear their iniquities.

Micah 6:16 And you walk in their counsels, That I may make you a desolation, And your inhabitants a hissing. Therefore you shall bear the reproach of My people.”

I don't think that Christ bore our iniquities in any difference sense than this.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Good post, Freddy. I hadn't seen the significance in that text before, vis-a-vis Is. 53.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Good post, Freddy. I hadn't seen the significance in that text before, vis-a-vis Is. 53.

Thanks. Yes, that's the sense, I think, of Christ bearing our sins in Is. 53. He suffered for them in the same way the prophets did.

The difference is that He not only suffered, He overcame them - although it appeared that they overcame Him.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016