homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Longest Night Service/Blue Christmas

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Longest Night Service/Blue Christmas
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our church is planning to hold a Longest Night/Blue Christmas Service on 21st December. It's a service of carols and readings which retell the Christmas story in a reflective way for people for whom Christmas is a difficult time (because of bereavement/family separation/anxiety etc).

Is anyone else planning something similar - what are you including in it?

Curious

[ 29. April 2013, 22:00: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you actually call it something like the Longest Night or Blue Christmas? Surely that's not going to cheer anyone up?

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not supposed to 'cheer people up'!

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, perhaps I was a little flippant, but though I can certainly see the usefulness of services for those in such situations, I can't see how it would help to overtly advertise it as such.

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue Christmas - I love it!

At one church where I worked, my fellow-priest and I conspired one year that, to rescue ourselves from our respective families, we'd make the excuse of "having to" go and say evening prayer in church about 5pm. We did, and basked in our feelings of self-congratulatory deceit.

The next year, we did it again. And were joined by about 6 other people.

The next year, we did it again and got a congregation of 20 ...

It was never a big "event". Just a quiet half hour when people could either excuse themselves from festivities they were tired of, or come and find some company after a day spent alone. It was beautiful.

[ 08. November 2012, 21:47: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't put them on, but wherever I've known them they have been 'blue' - but dersigned not with the idea of 'cheering up' but of incarnating christ and resurrection hope within sorrow

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
anon four
Shipmate
# 15938

- Posted      Profile for anon four   Email anon four   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have one here - about two weeks before Christmas proper. It is advertised as being especially for those living with grief, or unemployment or worry as the world plunges into sparkly joy....

It is hugely popular - with regulars and those less familiar with the church.

"O come, o come Emmanuel" takes on fresh power when sung by the mourning and anxious. Some Taizé, Iona, even "O little town of Bethlehem" (a tad early I know!) fits well.

"Comfort my people" from Isaiah.

We allow room and instrumental music for reflection.

A meditation on finding space to beathe when your pain is swamped by other people's tinsel.

People are told they are free to sing - or not. To say prayers - or not. Just finding the strength to sit is enough for some.

Some will wonder over to the votive candles as we sing.

We light candles centrally for those who have lost folk through death, or lost a job, or relationship, or face uncertainty etc.

And yes, we call it "Blue Christmas".

--------------------
Ό δε ανεξέταστος βίος ου βιωτος ανθρώπω.

Posts: 82 | From: Sunny South Coast, UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hezekiah:
Ok, perhaps I was a little flippant, but though I can certainly see the usefulness of services for those in such situations, I can't see how it would help to overtly advertise it as such.

Why not advertise it for what it is? That's how the people for whom it's intended know it's there. It's a specific kind of service aimed at people for whom Christmas brings difficulty or sadness as much as joy. Why hide that?

We have ours about 2 weeks before Christmas.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to one. It was not advertised as "longest night" which could have solstice celebration implications, it was advertised as a service for people for whom Christmas has some sadness, "Maybe a loved one died near Christmas, or you have outlived your family and are alone for holidays," etc.

Quiet, meditative, Taize and similar music. The God who is with you in sorrow to embrace you.

Roughly 1/3rd the usual Sunday morning congregation size, I was surprised how many came.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm recalling now that we have called ours a "Quiet Christmas" service.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

I like 'Quiet Christmas'. Maybe if we hold it again next year that's what we'll go with.
I'm not worried if 1 or 20 people turn up. It's about the church recognising the reality of life as against the overly perfect, chirpy advert Christmas.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We put on a 'Longest Night' service at a previous church I worked in. It was a deeply moving experience, and one of the best things I have been involved in. Here's my recollections, for what they're worth.

The service itself started at 7.30pm, and as others have said, consisted mainly of readings, some of the quieter carols, and prayers. However, the church itself was open from 6pm. We encouraged people to come whenever suited them, and if they didn't want to come to the service itself, they could simply go into the church, light a candle on the communion table, and sit in the candlelight for a few moments before leaving. All this time the church was in silence, and there was a text projected on the screen: "Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light." (Micah 7:8) We made sure that there was always a member of the pastoral team in the church, just sitting in a pew as well, so that there was someone there to help if need be. (And to keep an eye on the candles!)

At the same time, teas, coffees and mince pies were available in the adjoining hall, and there were plenty of helpers on hand to talk to anyone who wanted to. We were surprised at how many turned up early for this, and some important conversations were had.

We also purchased a beautiful "Book of Remembrance", and set it in a quiet hall space, just outside the sanctuary. This was for people to write in their prayers and remembrances. This book was taken into the church at the beginning of the service and laid on the Communion Table. Almost everyone made use of this, and it has been saved for future years as well. (It was not read out at any time, and is kept safe and private by the minister.)

Finally, at the end of the service, everyone was given a prayer card as they left to take home with them. Outside the church, we gathered around the Christmas tree, and the lights were switched on. We sang "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", and then everyone went home. This was designed to give a sense of 'moving out' from the quiet inner space and back into the world.

All told, about 35 people came along, which was more than we expected for a first-time event. I would estimate that more than half of these were not regular church-goers. We advertised widely around the parish, and were helped immensely by a column on "Longest Night" services in a popular Sunday newspaper the day before! I also think that the timing really worked: 21st December is both close enough to Christmas to feel properly Christmassy, and yet far enough away that people still felt they could spare an hour or two. And the 'Longest Night' symbolism was perfect. I'll definitely be doing it again.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
It was not advertised as "longest night" which could have solstice celebration implications...

Hah! not down here (well, solstice, but not longest night). Which is another reason I think the Southern Hemisphere should reverse its liturgical year. But I fear that's a tangent.

[ 10. November 2012, 05:51: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the idea of a Blue Christmas service - it's a bit late for this year, but maybe we could do something at our place in 2013 (21st December is a Saturday, so perhaps Friday 20th might be an alternative possibility).

Are there any useful online resources with suggestions for readings, hymns etc.?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's an excellent idea and I'd love to see it happen at my church. Sadly, I don't think there's much chance of that.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue Christmas doesn't happen here, because it's involved in a Light up a Life service in early December.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the first time I've encountered this but given how difficult Christmas must be for those who are bereaved - the first Christmas after my mum died was a time for reflection rather than jollity, no doubt about it.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Here are some online resources - but if you pm me with an email address I'm happy to send the liturgy that I used a few years ago:
Blue CHristmas liturgy
Ideas for using the service
Blue CHristmas Order of Service
Canadian version
Hope they're helpful.
Curious

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
I like 'Quiet Christmas'. Maybe if we hold it again next year that's what we'll go with.
I'm not worried if 1 or 20 people turn up. It's about the church recognising the reality of life as against the overly perfect, chirpy advert Christmas.

Indeed. A good point, I think. Even if only two or three come its good to pray together at this time of year for those who find Christmas sad.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was an interesting commentary on the Blue Christmas idea. Essentially the author says that if we are celebrating Advent as we should, Blue Christmas is not necessary. He also points out that the daily Lectionary readings for the day are appropriate for such an observance. It may add fuel for conversation.

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I think Blue Christmas is normally and primarily pitched at those who are infrequent in liturgical attendance, and therefore not 'doing advent properly' ...

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I've done advent as "properly" as a regular person could and have had times where I still needed and thoroughly appreciated Blue Christmas services. A wide offering of worship experiences is better than a narrow one-size-fits-all.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't do a special service, but the church is open from 10 - 2 on Christmas Eve for quiet reflection. (It is also my excuse for giving myself some quiet time).

--------------------
Less is more ...

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, we've given ours up. new vicar didn't think enough people attended.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a muppet! This sort of service is surely important to those who attend, no matter how many or few.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never ever heard of this service or these names till now. But it makes sense.

I have been to solstice celebrations of course - but not this.

Where do I sign up ?

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What a muppet! This sort of service is surely important to those who attend, no matter how many or few.....

Ian J.

I agree and I too get annoyed by clergy who cancel because few attend.

Surely one aspect of this service is praying on behalf of those having a blue Christmas. Two or three could do that...

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be leading our Blue Christmas Service this Sunday evening, here in NZ it is almost midsummer but the pastoral need is the same whatever the season.
It is a service of comparatively few words and those we use are gentle and reflective. We use a range of recorded music "What if God were one of us?" for example. And we use symbol and sacrament. Like many things I do if I were to judge it by the numbers I wouldn't bother - there might be a dozen at the most but I know the comfort, peace and the ability to face Christmas that people have found in it.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Matariki:
there might be a dozen at the most but I know the comfort, peace and the ability to face Christmas that people have found in it.

Absobloodylutely ...

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard Blue Christmas mentioned in Creamtealand. However, we do have 'Light up a Life' services - one year due to family circumstances I found that one particularly helpful; plus we also have quiet services advertised for the Saints' days immediately following Christmas (St. Stephen, St. John, Holy Innocents) which I rather suspect are attended by those who find Christmas itself rather a trial.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Ian J.

I agree and I too get annoyed by clergy who cancel because few attend.

Surely one aspect of this service is praying on behalf of those having a blue Christmas. Two or three could do that...

The point of worship is, well, the worship, not the amount of people there.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

True indeed.

Two or three praying on behalf of others can be beautiful.

The sad events in Conneticut will no doubt make Blue Christmas services even more poignant.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We ran our third Blue Christmas a week before Christmas this year.

Each year there's been 12-15 folks out of a church of 200+. Each year it's been the most moving service of all.

We use music (This year Bruce Springsteen's "Missing" and John Gorka's version of "Christmas Bells") to open and close. With various guided reflections, prayers, communion, candle lighting allowing space to be honest about the blue feelings some might have, to offer those to God as part of our Christmas worship, to reach out for whatever hope and strength might be found.

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Sadly, we've given ours up. new vicar didn't think enough people attended.

He has reconsidered in the lights of comments since the non-event. So i have reread this thread and made notes to help us plan nearer the time.

Thanks to all who contributed with ideas and accounts.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016