homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Apocalyptic writings (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Apocalyptic writings
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Bible study group will be tackling Revelation in a month or two. I have studied Revelation twice before using Michael Wilcock's The Message of Revelation (original title, I Saw Heaven Opened). I couldn't have gotten anywhere without it, but I still don't get Revelation the way I do most of the rest of the Bible.

One thing I learned from Wilcock is that Revelation is like a description of an enormous picture. It's much to big to describe all at once, so it is described in pieces. This means that if something occurs several chapters after something else, this is not a chronological statement. The other useful thing I learned from Wilcock was that if something in Revelation is bewildering, the thing to do is see whether this occurs anywhere else in the Bible. If it does and the meaning in that other place is clear, try applying that meaning to the passage in Revelation.

I have read a commentary on Daniel which said that apocalyptic writing began when it became clear that the glory days of Israel were over. The apocalyptic writings made the statement that God was in charge and that everything would be all right in the end.

This is basically what I understand. Can anyone give me more information?

Moo

[ 28. May 2016, 01:59: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd agree with all of that. The most helpful book I've read on Revelation is Eugene Boring's commentary in the Interpretation series. One of the things he stresses is that for all of the violence in the book, none of it is promoted as Christian action, but rather heavenly. The Christian response to persecution is martyrdom.

I'm currently reading Gordon Wenham's book on ethics in the Psalter, and he makes a similar point about the cursing psalms: while the psalmist asks God to wreak vengeance, the psalmist doesn't see any place for himself in that. His response is prayer.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the picture thing--

You can look at it as if you were scanning your way across a big, BIG picture like The Last Judgment (no, I didn't pick that one on purpose!), first at (say) 10 feet off the ground, the second time at 20, and so forth. That's what I do with the sevens--the trumpets, the bowls, and so forth. I suspect these are pictures of basically the same events but shown from very different angles.

Or think of it as someone drawing pictures of a sculpture/group of people. You stand in one place and do what you can, then move to a different side and start over (which may look very different indeed), then move again...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two other things I keep in mind with any difficult piece of writing.
1. "What is this particular difficult piece trying to communicate?" For example, the bit about the elders, the living creatures, etc. around the throne--the focus is on the worship and honor of God, not on what a crown represents, or why a particular animal is incorporated into a living creature. Working backwards you can occasionally come up with something, i.e. "This is about glorifying God--who or what is doing that? Maybe the living creatures stand for nature/the animal creation, among other things"

2. Then ask yourself "What effect DOES this passage actually create on me/other readers?" Because sometimes the confusion/fear/ecstasy/whatever isn't simply because you don't have a fully-clued in reader. Sometimes that might actually be the intended effect.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think those are all potentially useful tools in taking a broad view.

One of the most useful (albeit blindingly obvious) observations I've found is that apocalypic language does what it says on the tin. An apocalypse is a revelation. Not as in common parlance a lurid end-of-the-world discourse. Or in other words, it is a genre that seeks to explain the underlying eternal significance of things.

An obvious example is the churches being described as lamps on stands (not, n.b. like lamps on stands) because casting a light on things is what John wants you to understand their function to be in this bit of narrative.

Well, that one's easy because he actually explains it. Some of the others are more tricky. But it is a Jewish genre, and faithful Jews believed in The Age to Come. A lot of "end of the world" type imagery revolves around that. Jews didn't believe the earth was going to be destroyed!

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam wrote:

quote:
One of the things he stresses is that for all of the violence in the book, none of it is promoted as Christian action, but rather heavenly. The Christian response to persecution is martyrdom.

Hm. So, it's kinda like saying "Oh no, I'M not gonna beat the living hell out of you and slit your throat. The guy I work for is gonna do that."

I suppose there is a distinction to be made there. It still seems pretty clearly to be crowing about the fact that someone you hate is gonna get beat up and murdered. Hence a somewhat incongruous statement to situate within the same text as, for example, the Sermon On The Mount.

[ 19. June 2015, 17:15: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Hence a somewhat incongruous statement to situate within the same text as, for example, the Sermon On The Mount.

The Sermon on the Mount ends with the houses of those who ignore these words being violently destroyed. I don't think there's as much of a wedge here as we might like.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
quote:
Hence a somewhat incongruous statement to situate within the same text as, for example, the Sermon On The Mount.

The Sermon on the Mount ends with the houses of those who ignore these words being violently destroyed. I don't think there's as much of a wedge here as we might like.
But it doesn't say that God himself will come down and destroy those houses. In fact, it doesn't say that any houses will actually be destroyed, just that people who ignore the words can be "likened" to people who build their houses in unsafe places. It's like saying "If you don't study hard at univeristy, you're dead."

With the BoR, I don't quite get the idea that the Battle Of Armageddon, for example, is meant to be understood as a metaphor for people messing up their own lives by ignoring good advice. I think it's pretty clear that God is actively inflcting violence upon people.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

There is such a thing as justice--and rejoicing in justice. And no, it is not the same thing as wanting revenge.

Case in point: We are dealing right now with a case where a woman allegedly shook an infant to death (a child she was babysitting). The baby took several days to die of his injuries.

It is now five years on (her lawyers have been delaying and delaying and delaying the case) and just as they were ready to go to trial, suddenly all record of the case disappears from the online court system. It appears very much as if the case has been simply dismissed--and if so, probably because it's been so bloody long that they can no longer gather the evidence/witnesses.

I know the woman who is/was up for murder, and have known her for 30 years. I don't know whether she committed it, though my gut tells me not to rule it out. I don't hate her. I don't like her either, though I have been involved in her medical care at times. I am in fact about as neutral as I can be on the matter.

I want to see this case go to trial. I want to see her either acquitted, or found guilty, one way or another. I want this thing over--I want that baby's death to have some impact on the world, to be acknowledged, to have at least an attempt at justice made. Not just erased as if he had never lived, never suffered, never died. His death meant something. It shouldn't end this way.

I think those who cry out for justice, including the souls beneath the altar in Revelation, are feeling something similar. It is not revenge. It is a demand to have suffering and death matter--to have a screw-up in the universal equation rectified as far as that may be. Which in this world rarely happens. But in God's court, yes.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Apocalypse of St. John the Apostle I think describes the same events two or three times. It is largely figurative, as are most apocalyptic writings, and as such proves the Chiliasts wrong.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see Revelation as the abstract canvas which incorporates the whole Bible. Its symbolism picks up echoes from every book.

I think it is meant to help God-loving people to hold on to their faith when living under persecution, to trust that God's justice will prevail.

It helps to have this in mind as it is being read, then it can be enjoyed, even revelled in.

That is, from chapter four onwards. The first three chapters stand alone, don't they?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure why anyone would want to study Revelation, unless they have already done the whole bible at least twice. Ok - the seven letters make for an interesting set of discussions, but after that you're into seriously apocalyptic imagery which most people will find utterly baffling.

I read Wilcock's book many years ago. I have to say that I found it very weak and didn't come away very enlightened. The only positive thing in its favour was that it wasn't as bad as some of the other books I had read on Revelation.

But if the group is insistent on studying Revelation, I would suggest a couple of ground rules. First of all, everyone needs to understand that Revelation is NOT about what is going to happen in the future and is totally about what was happening when the book was written. (As no-one can quite agree when that was - under Vespasian? under Domitian? under Nero? - this makes interpreting the book a little difficult)

If anyone suggests that the book is a timeline for the Endtimes (or that they have worked out who 666 (or 616) refers to), take that person outside and shoot them. It is kindest thing to do for all concerned.

The point about the visions in Revelation not being chronological is important to remember. Rather than understand them as glimpses of a bigger picture, another analogy which may help would be to understand them as visions of the same thing, seen from different angles - sort of like getting a 3D picture.

But overall, I think that there should be regular reminders to people in the group that there will be much they they do not (and will never) understand, and that there may be little which they find spiritually nourishing (other than the letters!).

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
But if the group is insistent on studying Revelation, I would suggest a couple of ground rules. First of all, everyone needs to understand that Revelation is NOT about what is going to happen in the future and is totally about what was happening when the book was written. (As no-one can quite agree when that was - under Vespasian? under Domitian? under Nero? - this makes interpreting the book a little difficult)

Apocalyptic imagery is baffling and presents some impossible scenarios when taken as a prediction of literal events, but the opening verses are rather explicit about it being about "the things which must soon take place" and apply the word "prophecy" to what follows, so I'm surprised by what you propose for ground rules.

I can't say that I read it with complete understanding, but I do find the whole book spiritually nourishing in a particularly satisfying way. As is so often stated explicitly in the letters to the churches, I think the whole book is all about perseverance and hope in the face of trials and adversity. God is promising to set everything right and make everything turn out well in the end, but we need to realize that God will do so only when the time is right.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the word "soon" is part of the prophecy, then it was wrong, wasn't it?

I have a friend who is sure that the book describes an asteroid impact, which could not have been in the experience of the writer or anyone he knew. I go for an extrapolation of a volcanic eruption, which could. We do not argue much on the subject.

My mother, who had a Bishop's Certificate, having trained at Brighton Diocesan College, passed on to me a piece of advice about theology. "Avoid," she told me, "any group which bases their teaching on Revelation, Daniel, or Matthew 24." So I do. I have passed this on to my friend. He has not listened.

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

I don't take the word "soon" to apply to literal time any more than I take a description of a dragon's tail drawing a third of the stars from the sky to apply to literal space.

I have no problem understanding why anyone would conclude that Revelation offers them nothing of value, but I do wonder why anyone would suggest that it's not even possible for me (or anyone else) to do so before knowing anything about how I approach it, let alone how I end up interpreting it. There are plenty of objectionable interpretations, but that doesn't mean every interpretation is guaranteed to be objectionable.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:

I don't take the word "soon" to apply to literal time any more than I take a description of a dragon's tail drawing a third of the stars from the sky to apply to literal space.
That's an interesting interpretation of the word "soon". And one that, ISTM, flies in the face of the evidence. I think you have to make your case that "soon" does NOT have a literal temporal meaning.

I would maintain (strongly) that John the Revelator was writing firmly for his contemporary context. The word "soon" is actually key to this, rather than being something that can be glibly swatted away.

quote:
I have no problem understanding why anyone would conclude that Revelation offers them nothing of value, but I do wonder why anyone would suggest that it's not even possible for me (or anyone else) to do so before knowing anything about how I approach it, let alone how I end up interpreting it. There are plenty of objectionable interpretations, but that doesn't mean every interpretation is guaranteed to be objectionable.

No, but the fact remains that experience shows that it is very hard to mine something of value from Revelation, once you get past the letters to the churches. Quite apart from anything else, if (as I have suggested) the various visions are alternative ways of viewing the same thing, then studying the visions is likely to end up with a lot of going over the same ground. (Whether that ground is particularly edifying or not is another question!)

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For an interesting and progressive approach, try The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation by Lutheran theologian Barbara Rossing.

quote:
[Rossing]places the Revelation in a tradition of apocalypse and prophecy that has less to do with violence or prediction than with vision. In so doing she argues powerfully against the fascination with violence characteristic of much dispensational thinking. For Rossing, the Revelation is "a rapture in reverse"--God raptured, so to speak, into the world as Immanuel, God-with-us. That, she says, is a vision of a new Jerusalem, a beloved community--a vision of peace and justice that has inspired a host of good stories and still inspires persistent hope in the face of oppression and violence.
(Excerpt from a review at the Amazon link above.)

[ 23. June 2015, 18:40: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

quote:
I think you have to make your case that "soon" does NOT have a literal temporal meaning.

Yes, that's true, if I'm ever in a position of trying to persuade someone.

Naturally, I don't think of myself as glibly swatting away a key word, but I'll grant you that I am using a non-intuitive approach. However, I think it's clear that any attempt to make sense of the later chapters requires an approach that is non-intuitive and non-obvious.

A discussion ground rule that I would propose is that no one should try to come up with any definite conclusions or clear interpretations.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
A discussion ground rule that I would propose is that no one should try to come up with any definite conclusions or clear interpretations.

I would concur with that. Although quite what someone would get out of such a study is a little baffling. Perhaps (gasp!) some bits of the Bible aren't meant to be studied?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps (gasp!) some bits of the Bible aren't meant to be studied?

Then why are they there?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:

I share Moo's surprise at this. Not every text (/book) is equally suitable for every Bible study group, but I don't think there's anything in scripture that should be out of bounds to studying.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Revelation is one of those books which, rather like the Nag Hammadi writings, make me think that this is something which must once have meant a great deal to some people but which really doesn't convey a lot now. Perhaps that's partly because of the various daft treatments end-of-the-world enthusiasts have given it, but I seem to remember that it had a tough time making it into the canon in the first place, and even now it isn't included in the lectionary of the Orthodox churches. I suppose it gives an interesting insight into the way some Christians round about the end of the first century were thinking,
though, and it's worth looking at for that reason.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
quote:

I share Moo's surprise at this. Not every text (/book) is equally suitable for every Bible study group, but I don't think there's anything in scripture that should be out of bounds to studying.
Not "out of bounds" but just "not suited". The books of the Bible weren't brought together for the purposes of "Bible Study". The idea of "studying" books like Revelation is actually rather strange when you stop and think about it. That's not what they were originally written for. You could say the same thing about (for example) Leviticus or even the Psalms. When we "study" them, we ought at least to continually bear in mind that this is alien to their purpose. Would we "study" Hymns Ancient and Modern?

I guess that what I am saying is that Revelation was not intended for detailed analysis and decoding, with the aim of drawing inspirational insights.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
The books of the Bible weren't brought together for the purposes of "Bible Study". The idea of "studying" books like Revelation is actually rather strange when you stop and think about it. That's not what they were originally written for. You could say the same thing about (for example) Leviticus or even the Psalms. When we "study" them, we ought at least to continually bear in mind that this is alien to their purpose. Would we "study" Hymns Ancient and Modern?

I guess that what I am saying is that Revelation was not intended for detailed analysis and decoding, with the aim of drawing inspirational insights.

I think you and I have different definitions of 'studying'. I just want to understand what the author meant and how the people who first heard it were likely to have understood it. I don't believe in 'decoding' anything in the Bible.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Depends on your viewpoint of time. In Geological time, soon is a few 100,000 years. If to God 1000 years is like a day, even to a literalist soon can be several thousand years away.

It's pointless to try to predict when Yellowstone will blow - some say it's overdue and can happen any time from today to 50,000 years from now.

If someone says Yellowstone will blow soon he's not wrong just because it doesn't blow this year.

Same with Jesus' return.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admitting my ignorance, I have a question. Someone mentioned the notion that the book is in some sense referring to the depredations of Nero or another Roman emperor. I normally assume the books of the New Testament were written in Palestine. Would the people there have known in any detail what the emperors were doing? Would they have heard from travelers or from imperial proclamations?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Admitting my ignorance, I have a question. Someone mentioned the notion that the book is in some sense referring to the depredations of Nero or another Roman emperor. I normally assume the books of the New Testament were written in Palestine.

Well, the author says he's writing on the island of Patmos, which is in Greece, and he addresses churches throughout Asia Minor. Beyond that, I would suggest that the various books and letters of the NT suggest a general awareness of what is going on elsewhere in the Empire.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our bible study group looked at Revelation fairly recently and we tried to skim through it as quickly as possible - trying to get the big themes rather than getting stuck in the details. Many of which I still find deeply troubling.
However there was some good stuff in there about God calling time on injustice and oppression.
The main thing that helped was seeing that the middle sections of the letter keep circling back over the same themes and events but from different perspectives .
Personally in terms of preparation I found Tom Wright's Revelation for Everyone the most help (but not always totally satisfying).

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need a good, strong and well-read leader to study Revelations, otherwise you run the real risk of diversion into crackpot territory. I recall reading of a leading Puritan in the 1630's, who was convinced that the pouring out of the 4th vial was a reference to the forthcoming publication of his book. By comparison to many other interpretations, that is relatively sane.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed - a friend of mine went to a women's group where they were worried that the rapture might come before they had time to collect their kids from school.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I can't recall any mention of the rapture in Revelation. The theory was cobbled together from 1 Thessalonians and Luke.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
which shows how these Bible study groups get bits of stuff from all over the place rather than paying close attention to the text
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps some of them had been reading the Left Behind series, which manages to scramble together just about every idea about the eschaton in the NT, including (according to my husband who has somehow succeeded in reading the lot) a very, very long and literal account of all the events in Revelation.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I can't recall any mention of the rapture in Revelation. The theory was cobbled together from 1 Thessalonians and Luke.

Moo

True. But I think it was then linked to (cobbled into) a timeline trying to fit the events if Revelation into a linear sequence including a total of 7 years of tribulation followed by a literal 1000 years of Christ's rule (rev 20). I don't know enough about it but it may be based on the call to "come out of her" (Babylon) in Rev 18:4.

All highly dubious in my view but anyway.

In terms of how to approach Revelation the things I found helpful were:
1. Start from the question of how would the original recipients interpreted this? Difficult to know for sure but leads you pretty quickly to things like Babylon is symbolic of Rome.
2. Start with the assumption that the events being described have already happened rather than they are predictive (unless very strong evidence to the contrary)
3. Assume everything is symbolic not literal
4. Follow the links to the OT - so much of the imagery is drawn from there so does that shed any light? Particularly the OT Exodus story of salvation (parallels with the plagues, etc):
  • Rescue from slavery & oppression (through blood sacrifice)
  • Time of tribulation (wilderness wanderings)
  • Entry into the Promise (taking possession of the land)
5. Revelation is divided into scenes so for each scene, as mentioned upthread, ask is this a repeat of a previous scene from a different angle?

Having said all of that it is still hard work to figure out what is going on sometimes. The most disturbing question being: where is the grace?

[ 22. July 2015, 10:04: Message edited by: Jammy Dodger ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Margaret wrote:

quote:
I seem to remember that it had a tough time making it into the canon in the first place, and even now it isn't included in the lectionary of the Orthodox churches
Interesting that the city of Archangel in Russia(a decidely Orthodox country) has as its coat-of-arms this pretty direct reference to the Book Of Revelation.

Not that I'm doubting you at all, just that it's kind of an interesting incongruity.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Jammy wrote:

quote:
Having said all of that it is still hard work to figure out what is going on sometimes. The most disturbing question being: where is the grace?

I think it was Hal Lindsey, the epitome of pre-mil Revenge Theology, who said that: "God's love on the cross was for his enemies; in Revelation, it's for his friends."

In other words, there is no grace. The whole book is just a literary Two-Minute Hate.

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is interested, a couple of professors from Yale Divinity School chew the cud on the Book of Revelation in a series of shortish videos (10-15 mins each).

Just having read this thread, thought occurred: What would the impact be on the interpretation of the surreal parts (as the Yale couple call them!) of seeing the seven letters in chapters 1-3 as the defining framework?

I think those letters were intentionally placed where they are by the author, so I wondered whether the interpretation of the whole should be constrained and informed by what those letters say (i.e., we can't go off on one over the revelations)

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
In other words, there is no grace. The whole book is just a literary Two-Minute Hate.

Yes that is how some of it seems which is why I feel like Zi'm missing something!

--------------------

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
If anyone is interested, a couple of professors from Yale Divinity School chew the cud on the Book of Revelation in a series of shortish videos (10-15 mins each).

Just having read this thread, thought occurred: What would the impact be on the interpretation of the surreal parts (as the Yale couple call them!) of seeing the seven letters in chapters 1-3 as the defining framework?

I think those letters were intentionally placed where they are by the author, so I wondered whether the interpretation of the whole should be constrained and informed by what those letters say (i.e., we can't go off on one over the revelations)

There may be something to this. Not sure if there is enough for a framework but certainly a number of the key ideas in the letters are developed in the later visions.

--------------------

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
My Bible study group will be tackling Revelation in a month or two....
Moo

Given this was the original prompt for this thread Moo it would be great to hear about any questions that arise from the group - would you be happy to share some of these for discussion here?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this is still of interest, but one of the blogs I read has just given a strong recommendation of Peter Williamson's "Revelation", as an accessible and thorough MOTcathR commentary.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's MOTcathR?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I'm guessing "Middle Of The Catholic Road".
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
quote:
Moo

Given this was the original prompt for this thread Moo it would be great to hear about any questions that arise from the group - would you be happy to share some of these for discussion here?
We haven't started yet, but I'll give an update when we do.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
quote:
quote:
Moo

We haven't started yet, but I'll give an update when we do.

Moo

Great thanks - I'm interested to know what crops up!

--------------------

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are looking for a book to give you a handle on the book of Revelation, I would recommend Graeme Goldsworthy's "Gospel and Revelation" which is now bundled up with two other of his works in The Goldsworthy Trilogy. He suggests what he calls a 'sabbatical' structure of Revelation - namely seven cycles of seven (seven letters, seven plagues, seven trumpets etc) that are perspectives, or facets, of the theological age in which we live now (ie NOT some sort of predicted timeline of the end of the world), and culminating in the seventh section of the book which is the famous vision of the new heavens and earth (C21-22), the great sabbath rest.

My 2 cents worth of advice is there are three interpretive keys to be used in unpacking Revelation
  • The Gospel of Jesus - namely the narrative of his life, death and resurrection, and his return
  • The Immediate Context of the Original readers - outlined in the 'seven letters'. John's message is aimed at speaking a word to these churches and the situations that they find themselves in
  • Old Testament imagery - events such as Mt Sinai, the Exodus, the Babylonian exile etc etc
I've written some studies that I've used to take various bible study groups through Revelation. Would be happy to send them for you to read, handout, adapt, use as coffee cup coasters, whatever.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

Hey Moo - how did your group get on with Revelation? Any insights you can share?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Hey Moo - how did your group get on with Revelation? Any insights you can share?

Actually, it has mostly deepened the understanding that I already had. See my OP. The one thing I noticed that I hadn't before was that all the spectacular bad stuff happens after the martyrs plead with God for justice.

Revelation is mostly a promise that they have not been forgotten.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Sheesh. I never noticed that. Thank you.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

One other thing I noticed is Revelation 7:9
quote:
After this I looked, and there was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, robed in white, with palm branches in their hands.
I hadn't realized that Heaven included people from every tribe, nation, and language. I had thought that Revelation was narrower.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016