homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: What is a 'fresh expression' and what is it good for? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: What is a 'fresh expression' and what is it good for?
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a previous thread, I somewhat naughtily said the following:

quote:
Originally posted by S. Bacchus:
but my impression has always been that 'Pioneer Ministry' is (to paraphrase a Fry and Laurie sketch about the SAS) less of a reality on the ground and more of masturbatory aid for aging archdeacons and balding bishops who want to prove they're 'still with it'. The same is broadly true, although perhaps to a lesser extent, of 'Fresh Expressions' (which is conclusively and damning discussed by the Rev'd Prof. Alison Millbank, a brilliant theologian who also happens to be a woman and ordained).

I say 'somewhat naughtily' because my phrasing was, if I'm honest, meant in part to shock and also because I have absolutely no experience of 'Fresh Expressions'. There are certainly none where I live.

Frankly, I have little idea about what's meant by the term. From an (breathlessly adulatory) Mystery Worshiper, it looks like a pretty standard CofE liturgy plus a bit of technology, some rather middle class attempts at being multicultural (which definitely sound open to accusations of cultural appropriation). I can't help but feel it's just window dressing aimed at a very specific demographic (evidently middle class, white baby boomers). I seem to remember the correspondent for the Church Times was unimpressed.

Now, fine, if people want to do that sort of thing, then I'm sure it's the sort of thing they'll want to do. But it doesn't seem likely that it's going to set the church ablaze.

The Church of England is liturgically very broad. I myself find a wide range of liturgical styles very helpful and moving, from the traditional Anglo-Catholic Pontifical High Mass down to a BCP said service in tippet and surplice (by way of such variations as the modern Catholic concelabrated mass, the MOTR Cathedral Eucharist, and even the much-derrided 'folk mass'). I also adore choral mattins and like a nice hymn sandwich from time to time. I short, there's not much liturgical variety in the Church of England of which I have not taken part. I've been to services in London where a (predominately Jamaican congregation) sang the ordinary of the mass accompanied by steel drums, and I've been to 'jazz Evensong'. I've even sung one or two worship choruses ( I may even have enjoyed them [Razz] ).

Given this huge variety, I'm not sure what Fresh Expressions is meant to add that isn't there already. I suppose that's not too much of a problem, but I do have two further concerns:

1. Fresh Expressions seems fetishized at the expense of the ministry of normal 'parochial' and chaplaincy clergy, who after all do the overwhelming majority of ministry in the Church of England. of the

2. I feel that Fresh Expressions is meant to engage the young. It doesn't. They're not interested in it. I'm in my twenties myself, and I feel reasonably confident in saying that young people either go to church or don't,* and that those that do overwhelmingly go to 'normal' parish churches (often higher than average, in fact). I know far more ordinands than can possibly be healthy (seriously, is everyone being ordained these days?) and none of them are training for 'Pioneer Ministry' (does this really exist, I've seen zero evidence for it).

Am I missing some Damascene insight on this issue?

*There is an additional category of young people who have some connection Christianity but don't go to church. In my experience, though, they're not likely to be good candidates for Fresh Expressions given that the churches with which they identify (but to which they do not go), are in more or less descending order, the Roman Catholic Church, MOTR to highish Anglicanism, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and Welsh Chapel/Northern English Non-conformism.

[ 04. March 2014, 09:31: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's right-on masturbatory aid for certain clergymen. It's good for nothing but destroying or denigrating the parish ministry.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, a FE church has managed to keep me, Mrs Backslider and the kids within the church when we'd nearly given up.

So you know what you can do with your ignorant and judgemental bullshit, don't you? Fuck off.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Meanwhile, a FE church has managed to keep me, Mrs Backslider and the kids within the church when we'd nearly given up.

So you know what you can do with your ignorant and judgemental bullshit, don't you? Fuck off.

So why don't you explain what it is about FE that engages you and your wife and your children?

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will, when I've calmed down a bit after Vade's insulting shite.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Calming down would be a good idea all round. Discuss the matter in hand or call elsewhere. Engagement with the topic would be a fine idea ... or I shall say some most unecclesiastinculated things.

/Hosting

In the meantime I shall try to sort my way through the UBB of the OP

And, no, I'm not speaking in a foreign tongue.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope. Sorry. That UBB cocktail is beyond me. Perhaps the OP can PM me if he has any indication where his "somewhat naughty" quote appears. Or doesn't. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fresh Expressions" probably manifests differently in different dioceses, but it seems to me to be a desparate attempt by bishops who see falling congregations to deploy clergy to something novel and different and off the wall and totally unproven with no track record in the desparate hope it may prove popular. So parishes are being starved of clergy and meanwhile a whacky young clergyperson can set up some nonsensical and improbably non-parish-based ministry, with no accountability to a PCC, no parish duties such as weddings an dfunerals and nursing homes an dschools, and become the bishop's blue-eyed boy (or girl) based purely in hype and self report of "innovation" and "rechaing the unreached".

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fresh Expressions" probably manifests differently in different dioceses, but it seems to me to be a desparate attempt by bishops who see falling congregations to deploy clergy to something novel and different and off the wall and totally unproven with no track record in the desparate hope it may prove popular. So parishes are being starved of clergy and meanwhile a whacky young clergyperson can set up some nonsensical and improbably non-parish-based ministry, with no accountability to a PCC, no parish duties such as weddings an dfunerals and nursing homes an dschools, and become the bishop's blue-eyed boy (or girl) based purely in hype and self report of "innovation" and "rechaing the unreached".

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Nope. Sorry. That UBB cocktail is beyond me. Perhaps the OP can PM me if he has any indication where his "somewhat naughty" quote appears. Or doesn't. [Ultra confused]

I think he's referring to this

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If it had actually contributed to your progress in the Church, we might expect less doubt about the virgin birth, the resurrection of Christ, and the Real Presence... As it is, I can only imagine it's stroking your spiritual ego, or equivalent.

This is one of the problems with FE: it's usually (not often, but too frequently to be an accident) devoid of any sense of theology or ecclesiology, and very light on doctrine or catechesis. What began as a (slightly sad and retrograde) attempt to return people (quite rightly) to the Church became instead the fatuous "new way of being Church" (a phrase to loath for its grammar if nothing else), to the detriment of Parish life and an ordered understanding of the Church.

Much of which is admirably counter-attacked in Andrew Davison and Alison Milbank, "For the Parish: A Critique of Fresh Expressions"

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
If it had actually contributed to your progress in the Church, we might expect less doubt about the virgin birth, the resurrection of Christ, and the Real Presence... As it is, I can only imagine it's stroking your spiritual ego, or equivalent.

Good to know that participation in the "mainstream" church contributes so obviously to the development of humility, charity and generosity of spirit...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This is one of the problems with FE: it's usually (not often, but too frequently to be an accident) devoid of any sense of theology or ecclesiology, and very light on doctrine or catechesis. What began as a (slightly sad and retrograde) attempt to return people (quite rightly) to the Church became instead the fatuous "new way of being Church" (a phrase to loath for its grammar if nothing else), to the detriment of Parish life and an ordered understanding of the Church.

Much of which is admirably counter-attacked in Andrew Davison and Alison Milbank, "For the Parish: A Critique of Fresh Expressions"

Not really. New ways of being church isn't just an Anglican thing, other denominations are doing it too. FE was never intended to be a replacement for traditional church, more of a supplement to it - for those who wanted / needed something different to mainstream church. When you've stopped sneering, it's worth bearing in mind that many of the people who attend FE type things wouldn't be in church otherwise. As long as God is worshipped in spirit and truth, does it matter how?!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tubbs, I think that your "in spirit and truth" are precisely where VM's objections come from here.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Are we trying to bring people to Christ, or to theology? If people don't come to traditional services, why not try new types of services? The resources may or may not be excessive, but I doubt that redirecting the various Fresh Expressions clergy to parishes would solve the crisis of parish and rural ministry.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You're presenting a ridiculous false zero-sum fight between Fresh Expressions and True Parish Church, in which Fresh Expressions is stealing away members from TPC. Karl is suggesting that, for some people, it's really between Fresh Expressions and No Church; True Parish Church won't happen for them. Some might at least hope that there's an eventual FE -> TPC move, in a way that there won't really be a No Church -> TPC move for most people.

Others would say that Christian worship is Christian worship, and that it's better than no worship at all, no matter what its precise form.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Implements of Hosting ON

Woah, woah, woah.

Vade Mecum, you have just been told by my co-Host Zappa to restrict yourself to debating the matter at hand. This attack on another poster's faith is completely inappropriate for Ecclesiantics.

When you signed up for the Ship, you agreed to abide by the Ten Commandments - I suggest you take a read of them, with particular reference to numbers 3, 5 and 6.

The rest of you - please keep the personal attacks for Hell and kindly refrain from being tempted to 'junior host'.

Any further mud-flinging will be brought before Adminly attention.

Now, if it is possible, perhaps we can return to a civil discussion to the place of 'Fresh Expressions' in the worship of the Church.

Thank you.

Implements of Hosting OFF

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Sorry do not buy. There are more liturgically traditionalist Catholic Anglicans who are liberal way beyond that theologically and not into Fresh Expressions as there are people in Fresh Expression.

Indeed I am beginning to wonder if we have
conservative theology= inculturated worship
vs
liberal theology= traditional worship

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
quote:

You're presenting a ridiculous false zero-sum fight between Fresh Expressions and True Parish Church, in which Fresh Expressions is stealing away members from TPC. Karl is suggesting that, for some people, it's really between Fresh Expressions and No Church; True Parish Church won't happen for them. Some might at least hope that there's an eventual FE -> TPC move, in a way that there won't really be a No Church -> TPC move for most people.

Others would say that Christian worship is Christian worship, and that it's better than no worship at all, no matter what its precise form.

I don't contend for one moment that FE steals people (clerical or lay) away from Parish ministry (though it may very well do): rather that it saps energy, imagination and intellectual manpower, draining it away from revitalisation of the liturgy, of parochial ministry, of the clerical calling, and drains it into a great sink-hole which, to mix metaphors, is indeed a blind alley leading nowhere.

And this is, as Thurible discerns so succinctly, the problem I have (I am far from alone, it seems): what began as Fresh Expression of Church is now usually just Fresh Expressions - a linguistic mirror of the emptiness of so many of these benighted enterprises, too often novel for the sake of novelty.

Were we not so fixated on these bright and eminently sell-able baubles, we might stand a chance of renewal, rather than further the idea that the Anglican Church (I confess I now absolutely nothing of other FE expressions in other communions) doesn't really believe in anything, or matter much, or is capable of shaking anything out of its complacency. Which is frustrating.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Tubbs, I think that your "in spirit and truth" are precisely where VM's objections come from here.

Thurible

But where would you draw that particular line?! [Biased] It has to be based on something more meaningful than worship I like is whilst worship I don't isn't.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

dj_ordinaire: right you are. Ceasing and desisting.

Unreserved apologies to KLB for that paragraph. It really was too much.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect it does rather depend on what you are calling Fresh Expressions. I was surprised to hear a number of long running outreach initiatives described as Fresh Expressions by someone on placement whilst exploring their vocation. He included
  • the pram service - which deliberately fed into the church services;
  • the monthly support group for bereaved following funerals;
  • youth work in the community (I really questioned this one)
He missed seeing the Beer and Bible bible reading group that's based in a pub - a monthly group who choose to meet in a pub. I *think*, but am not sure, that they meet in an upstairs room, not in the bar.

I do wonder about some Fresh Expressions. I went to Applecart when it ran regularly in a pub. My impression of those attending was that they, like me, had attended church in the morning and it wasn't reaching unchurched people it was hoping to.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just put in a reminder that Fresh Expressions (FE) under it's formal banner extends beyond the CofE, and that for others involved with FE (as for some within the CofE), there is not a do trad or FE it is more often do both.

Also I think that FE is a label that has brought together a lot of things that might have been happening otherwise, such as those that Curiosity killed ... lists. What I think the label allows is some working together on things.

Also going back to the OP, I don't think there is a Damascus road thing here. And for some it is the latest fashion accessory that is the must have. However for some idea about what it is http://www.freshexpressions.org.uk/ might be a source.

[ 10. September 2013, 21:31: Message edited by: gog ]

Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...the fatuous "new way of being Church" (a phrase to loath for its grammar if nothing else), to the detriment of Parish life and an ordered understanding of the Church...

As I take part in discussions here and as I work through the theology course I'm doing, it seems ever clearer to me that ecclesiology is at the root of many, many disagreements. In contrast to Vade Mecum, I love the phrase 'new way of being church'; for me it perfectly encapsulates how 'church' is something we are, not something we do.

A church is a group of people, so a 'fresh expression' of church is simply a group of people being church together in a non-traditional way. And as others have said already, that's exactly what some people need in order for them to get involved in a church. So Fresh Expressions is IMO something to celebrate (along with other endeavours that look similar but don't come under the F.E. banner).

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, there is a "fresh expression" for you.
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
He included
  • the pram service - which deliberately fed into the church services;
  • the monthly support group for bereaved following funerals;
  • youth work in the community (I really questioned this one)
He missed seeing the Beer and Bible bible reading group that's based in a pub - a monthly group who choose to meet in a pub. I *think*, but am not sure, that they meet in an upstairs room, not in the bar.

Well, those all sound like good things. I share your confusion about what exactly makes them special as 'Fresh Expressions', though.

And I have to say that I agree with Vade Mecum and disagree with SCK: the construction 'being Church' drives me mad. It seems like an attention seeking disregard for normal English usage, and I can't imagine it ever sounding natural coming from anybody.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't contend for one moment that FE steals people (clerical or lay) away from Parish ministry (though it may very well do): rather that it saps energy, imagination and intellectual manpower, draining it away from revitalisation of the liturgy, of parochial ministry, of the clerical calling, and drains it into a great sink-hole which, to mix metaphors, is indeed a blind alley leading nowhere.

And this is, as Thurible discerns so succinctly, the problem I have (I am far from alone, it seems): what began as Fresh Expression of Church is now usually just Fresh Expressions - a linguistic mirror of the emptiness of so many of these benighted enterprises, too often novel for the sake of novelty.

I'm a firm believer in having diverse forms of church, because we need to have many different ways to help people to learn about Jesus and to start to worship him. I'd love to find a suitable FE that I could commit to.

However, I agree that there are issues regarding resources and manpower. FEs are usually started and funded by individual congregations, which means that only very well-heeled congregations in nice areas will do so, because only they can afford to divert manpower and funds for this purpose. This isn't always true, but it seems relatively common from what I've seen and heard. Yet poorer areas often have a greater need. I'd prefer individual congregations to be encouraged to invest in their own transformation, because this would be more generally affordable. Harder to do, though.

I don't know to what extent FEs suffer from an evacuation of Christian spiritual content. It seems harsh accuse them of this without proof! My impression is that some of them intend to function as independent congregations on a permanent basis, whereas others are set up with the hope of eventually channelling people towards more traditional worship. The latter probably have somewhat less Christian content. I think the former is a more authentic FE approach.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Right. Calmed down. Sorry Zappa, Vade. Ironically, our church exists on Bookface as a significant part of its community activity, and this very morning as is our Community Development Worker writes:

"When somebody's actions or attitude frustrates or grates on you and the anger rises, do not respond in kind. Instead, consider the exacerbation you would cause, the division you would create.
In all things let Christ be known and let him be seen."

[Hot and Hormonal]

So much for feeding my ego.

So let me tell you a story. Some background information might be useful; from a charismatic evangelical start I'd migrated up the candle and across the theological spectrum to liberal Anglo-Catholic, and for my part was quite comfortable there, and by happy coincidence that was the position of the parish church. It was a bit awkward socially; at 35 (at the time we started there) I was the second youngest there by about twenty years; Mrs Backslider was the youngest, but church isn't a social club, we said, so that shouldn't matter that much. Nevertheless, I never quite felt part of the community; I put that down to me being me and, if not actually on the Austistic Spectrum, at least shall we say "differently wired", and Mrs Backslider being from a free church background and never really feeling properly Anglican.

Then we bred.

Naturally enough, church with a baby is, well, church with a baby. Let it not be said that the congregation were in any way negative about this. And the babies became children, and they were fractious in services, and there was no Sunday School.

Not to worry; we formed one, with some people from another church in the Benefice. It was only twice a month, and we had to run it one of those Sundays, but it did mean that at least sometimes we had the opportunity to concentrate on the service.

In order to "fill in the gaps" in the month, as it were, on an experimental basis we started an all-age service on the First Sunday, where we replaced the sermon with a more interactive approach with stories and quizzes and so on and pared the wordy liturgy to the minimum the rubrics allowed. This worked quite well; it wasn't "dumbed down" for the adults, but some of the barriers for children were lowered.

Then the Rector retired. During the interegnum the pattern was suspended and there were no all-age services, although the Sunday School carried on. However, this ran into difficulties - we discovered that our children behaved perfectly for the other team running their work, but played up for us. After trying various strategies, we were then told by one of the other team (each team had only two people in it) that she had had enough (as a schoolteacher I think it was just too much to do it on a Sunday as well) which left us with a gap. And around the same time we also concluded that we couldn't carry on running sessions as a couple because the dynamic with the group largely being our children (there were our three and one from each of the other two leaders) wasn't working.

Around this time the new Rector started. He didn't immediately restart the all-age worship. He understood the problems the Sunday School were having, and proposed a re-launch as a Junior Church with a bit more formality. However, there was a snag.

No-one came forward to lead it. We needed one person to make up the four so that we could split along different lines and continue to run the work. But there was no fourth person.

Then we turned up one Sunday when we were under the impression someone had been found to do the Junior Church, to learn that no-one had, and it had been cancelled. Ended. No more. Even though I was on the PCC I knew nothing of this. But there it was.

The church in the neighbouring parish does have a running Sunday School, but has its own problems - a wide age range from 3 to 13 (only about half a dozen actual children) all in one group, with activities geared to the youngest. With our older children rapidly learning to loathe church we needed something more engaging for them. I know lots of people find their children actually prefer the main service to Sunday School/Junior Church anyway, and sit through it and engage with it and participate and yadda yadda, but ours Didn't with a capital "D". They were bored; bored beyond description. In February of last year Mrs Backslider had basically said that either the church experience has to change, or we'd have to find a new church. Now our hand was forced. This was difficult to me, because I like liturgy (yes, really) and get on badly with hymn prayer sandwiches and even worse with 'hands in the air let's just sing that a thirtieth time because some people aren't dancing yet'. Besides, the main concern was whether it would even more estrange the children from church than we'd already managed.

We knew of the FE church in town, which I'm not going to name although two minutes on Google and the SoF search function could find it. We gave it a try. Ironically there is no separate children's work. However, since the actual liturgy only takes about 30 minutes, that hasn't been a problem. Oldest child has gone from being nearly dragged kicking and screaming out on a Sunday morning through sitting there with his fingers in his ears to actively listening and taking part in the service. We don't get desperate pleas not to go like we used to. We actually feel part of the church community in a way we haven't in the past; perhaps it's because there are a larger contingent of people our own age, some of whom make super-annuated poster boy for Too old to rock and roll, too young to die here look positively normal; we have actually made friends, but whatever the reason it has actually made all of us see church with something other than dread - the children simple dread of boredom, us dread of having to somehow get through a church service with three bored children.

Given that whatever some people may think of my faith, it has actually given it a new lease of life and some actual enthusiasm, you might understand my initial anger at having it written off in such offensive terms, not to mention one of the hardest working ministers I know written off as engaging in "right on masturbation".

Open invitation to come along and actually find out what it's about if you're willing to be open-minded. Stay away if you're not.

[Biased]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by gog:
Can I just put in a reminder that Fresh Expressions (FE) under it's formal banner extends beyond the CofE, and that for others involved with FE (as for some within the CofE), there is not a do trad or FE it is more often do both.

Also I think that FE is a label that has brought together a lot of things that might have been happening otherwise, such as those that Curiosity killed ... lists. What I think the label allows is some working together on things.

Also going back to the OP, I don't think there is a Damascus road thing here. And for some it is the latest fashion accessory that is the must have. However for some idea about what it is http://www.freshexpressions.org.uk/ might be a source.

Indeed; perusal of that site would show that the things in that list are probably not what would be considered FE by the actual FE programme. I sometimes wonder if people hear the expression, don't realise it refers to a specific programme, and assume they can plonk it on anything a bit different. Not that these initiatives aren't necessarily worthwhile, but FE as understood by the above website and the official programme they are not. The church in the pub might be [Biased]

Svit - I'm not aware that our FE was set up by an existing congregation, well-heeled or otherwise - in fact, I'm pretty sure it was cut out of whole cloth.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one, Karl: Liberal Backslider, and respect to you for such a measured and thoughtful post. I'd pop by to one of your meetings if I lived round your way.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Svit - I'm not aware that our FE was set up by an existing congregation, well-heeled or otherwise - in fact, I'm pretty sure it was cut out of whole cloth.

So would you describe it more as a church plant, then? My impression, garnered admittedly from the Methodist experience, was that FEs usually grew out of the vision of a particular congregation, and therefore had to be funded by them. Maybe the vision normally develops at a higher structural level in the CofE.

It would be interesting to see some research on the funding and resourcing of FEs. To me as a former church steward who's been through a church closure, this is a big issue. But on a purely spiritual level I do appreciate what alternative forms church can do for individuals and for families.

Shipmate
# 76

It's a new congregation outside of the parish system.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Yes, I gathered that. But I'm wondering how it was set up. Sorry if it's a rather boring question, but I tend to think that foundational matters can be quite instructive to the church at large. (I'm quite interested in congregational histories in general, not just in FE.)
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

quote:

How would its leadership respond to the sort of criticisms made in 'For the Parish'? The fact that it's 'outside the parish system' would seem to mean that it's precisely the sort of arrangement which most concerns the Rev'd Drs and Milband and Davison.

--------------------

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding of the history of the term 'fresh expression' is that it started as a means of classifying things that were viewed as non-traditional. It's a concept that exists to help the church hierarchy classify things. As such, there isn't a coherent 'fresh expression movement' that can defend its actions. (There are several such movements representing some subsets of fresh expressions)

quote:
quote:

How would its leadership respond to the sort of criticisms made in 'For the Parish'? The fact that it's 'outside the parish system' would seem to mean that it's precisely the sort of arrangement which most concerns the Rev'd Drs and Milband and Davison.
My view is that no-one would object to living in a world where society is sufficiently homogeneous that the parish can put on one set of services that everyone is happy with, but the people who are founding fresh expressions have found that isn't their reality. The options that exist are to pretend it is the reality, and bemoan the fact that churches are empty and people like Karl don't go to church for 'inexplicable reasons' or accept that there needs to be a range of different styles of church, and provide a framework for keeping track of them.
Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post. I have a question:
What exactly (in practice) is a pioneer minister?

How does their training differ to that of an ordinary ordinand (now that there are pioneer ministry paths at some colleges)? How many actually exist, what do they typically do and how many of those have stipends?

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So a proprietary chapel under another name?

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
quote:

Wikipedia says that "A proprietary chapel is a chapel that originally belonged to a private person." - if that is so, then no, it isn't.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

I used to be very in favour of the parish system. However, my experience is that in the real world it doesn't work. It hardly even exists in practice - at many parish churches you'll find a significant, if variable, proportion of the congregation who live outside the parish. And you'll find that there are churchgoers who do live in the parish but attend a church in another parish, usually for reasons of demography, subculture or churchmanship.

And what *Leon* said. Would you be so kind to read my long post again where I explain in some detail how the parish system didn't work for us?

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The 'outside the Parish system' issue has existed for many years, I remember it being raised in one of those oft written, rarely acted upon, reports for the CofE back in the 2000's and continues to be an issue up to this day, even of those FE initiatives which began within the Parish system...

In the parish I am in, we have just implemented new structures and oversight of what was a 'fresh expression' endeavour which had started out under Parish oversight (many moons ago now) but had drifted away into a separate body altogether without Episcopal or Parish oversight and monitoring, yet still claiming its links to the Parish (to continue to use our resources etc.) It had become a 'denomination' of sorts in its own right, with an ethos at odds with the rest of the Parish and with decisions and control being exercised without the Parish leadership playing any role, as a result it became stagnant and inward looking rather than outward looking and missionary as was its original intentions...

What was my point again...

Oh yes...

This issue with 'Fresh Expressions' in Parish organised Churches is long in existence and probably merits a lot more research into the long-term health of the FE groups and the health of the Parish/Deanery in which they exist.

As for Pioneer Ministry/Ministers, that has also been raised, the CinW sent one person for training last year...

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:

How does their training differ to that of an ordinary ordinand (now that there are pioneer ministry paths at some colleges)? How many actually exist, what do they typically do and how many of those have stipends?

You'd probably be best addressing those questions to +Graham Cray's office. He's the head honcho for FE in the CofE.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The people who most seem to value the idea of 'their' parish are the very ones who don't go to church each week. Particularly in rural areas. The parish church means a lot for funerals and weddings, especially for those families with a long history in the area.

I'm all for Fresh Expressions when they are in addition to what already works in a particular church - if the new initiative works out then you have added to the number affiliated with the church; if it doesn't, you haven't needlessly destroyed what already works for the vain possibility of something even better. But of course this always supposes enough staff or willing volunteers to adequately resource extra initiatives - something which is often in short supply these days, particularly in rural areas.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

quote:
Would you be so kind to read my long post again where I explain in some detail how the parish system didn't work for us?

I did actually. It seems to me that your complaint was essentially that the parish churches in your area didn't have particularly good programs for children. I must admit that such programs have never been high on my own list for a church (even when I was a child, I much preferred 'grown up' church), but I can see why it would be for some people. However, it seems to be at most a critique of parish churches in your area, rather than evidence that the parochial system has failed per se.

--------------------

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:

You'd probably be best addressing those questions to +Graham Cray's office. He's the head honcho for FE in the CofE.
Does that answer imply that a pioneer minister is exactly the same as someone who does fresh expressions? I was wondering whether, since they aren't called 'fresh expression ministers', the definition of pioneer ministry might be subtly different from 'fresh expressions'
Shipmate
# 76

We seem to be confused as to what an FE is.

From the horse's mouth: http://www.freshexpressions.org.uk/guide/about/whatis

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
Would you be so kind to read my long post again where I explain in some detail how the parish system didn't work for us?

I did actually. It seems to me that your complaint was essentially that the parish churches in your area didn't have particularly good programs for children. I must admit that such programs have never been high on my own list for a church (even when I was a child, I much preferred 'grown up' church), but I can see why it would be for some people. However, it seems to be at most a critique of parish churches in your area, rather than evidence that the parochial system has failed per se.
The children issue was the crunch point, sure. But if the parish system has failed around here (and I don't buy that North East Derbyshire has a particular issue and it's rosy everywhere else) then it has still failed, and there's therefore still room - nay, need - for alternatives.

Can I spell this out clearly: If the FE church we now attend had not been in existence, we'd very likely no longer be attending church AT ALL

Would you rather that?

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
quote:
quote:

Wikipedia says that "A proprietary chapel is a chapel that originally belonged to a private person." - if that is so, then no, it isn't.
That's a bit narrow on the legal definition of a person. To pick a particularly (in)famous example, take a look at what Emmanuel Church, Wimbledon, have to say about themselves:

"It is fully self-supporting in funding Emmanuel staff and ministry, and appoints its own clergy under the guidance of an appointed group of patrons. It has always owned and funded its own buildings."

Is that the basic reality of the FE set up?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't agree with the general tenor of this post, nor with Davidson and Milbank's critique which seems to present a ridiculously rosy-hued picture of what the Parish Church can do, without recognising the cultural complexity of the present day.

Nevertheless, it is certainly the case in some denominations that money and people are being placed into FE rather than resourcing "old expressions". There is nothing wrong with new initiatives but we mustn't neglect traditional Church either ... especially as (in my opinion) it is often they who end up resourcing FE which rarely seem to be able to support themselves. There's a balance to be had here, but I'm not quite sure where it is.

BTW, am I right in thinking that the most "proper" FEs are considered to be those which stand alone, rather than those which are new ministries of already-established (small "e"!) congregations?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's a bit narrow on the legal definition of a person. To pick a particularly (in)famous example, take a look at what Emmanuel Church, Wimbledon, have to say about themselves:

"It is fully self-supporting in funding Emmanuel staff and ministry, and appoints its own clergy under the guidance of an appointed group of patrons. It has always owned and funded its own buildings."

Is that the basic reality of the FE set up?

TBH I neither know nor much care. I'd like to know where you're going with this. You seem to want me to say "yes, it's basically that" and I want to know why you want me to say that, frankly.

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only pop onto the ship occasionally, but it seems (yet again?) our experience is mirroring Karls.

We were on the verge of giving up on church for a whole host of reasons (I've worked for a church and I have an Oxford theology degree - I'm not uneducated theologically!)The final straw was having bred, we had small people to entertain/keep quiet and was a period in our life when we began to question the point of going to church if it was just an excruciatingly painful time of Trying To Control Children.

We attend a CofE Fresh Expressions church, it is outside of the parish system and has a C of E minister. I'm not 100% sure how it is funded, I very much doubt our small group raises enough for the stipend. It has a lot of community involvement and community initiatives though, despite its small size.

It suits us for now. My children happily join in when church has its meeting in a cafe. Once a month there is a more church-like service, but it is made accesible for children. The very first time we went we had pass-the-parcel prayer and a gruffalo story. Once a month people meet up in each others homes or go elsewhere....

It's quite low key but with an emphasis on community, and a rule of life is adopted by regulars.

I like it. I know it would get up the wick of tonnes of people here but its better than us not being in church, and far more valid for us at the moemnt.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016