homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What is the way of salvation? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What is the way of salvation?
Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

- Posted      Profile for Jim Powell         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A---is it faith alone in Christ?

B---is it faith plus works?

C---is it a system of works?

If those who find it necessary to discredit by Pastor and Church will cease their crusade I will be grateful..

Please give simple and short answers answers
Many thanks Jim powell [Cool]

[ 10. March 2003, 02:15: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
After being judged for our sins,Our Lord said"It is finished"
(The work of our salvation)

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grace
oilinmylamp
Apprentice
# 583

- Posted      Profile for oilinmylamp     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i agree with Angel
Posts: 2 | From: Saranac Lake NY | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Will
Shipmate
# 356

- Posted      Profile for Will   Author's homepage   Email Will   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Faith in G-d (which results in a natural outpouring of works).

--------------------
Shalom, Will.

Posts: 60 | From: Tx. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
splodge
Shipmate
# 156

- Posted      Profile for splodge   Email splodge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grace received by faith and inevitably (if there is real faith and grace) demonstrated by works.

Splodge

--------------------
Splodge

Posts: 145 | From: Newport | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Powell:

Faith in the God who has worked through his Christ.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

- Posted      Profile for Phil R.   Email Phil R.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I hate doing this, agreeing with people)

Grace.

Faith will cause works, but works will not cause faith.

Posts: 216 | From: Sussex, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The correct doctrine.

Not.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How about none of the above.

Jesus said, "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17).

Someone doing works, or a system of works, might be doing them hypocritically. But keeping the commandments in your heart allows God to work within you so that you are spiritually reborn.

The exhortations to have faith imply that if you believe in God you will do as He commands. Otherwise you are foolish, as Jesus said.

You need to be purified so that you are fit for heaven, as it says in the purgatory heading. It takes a while, and it is not easy - but it is God who does it, not you.

That is how I see the Bible message.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rewboss
Shipmate
# 566

- Posted      Profile for rewboss   Author's homepage   Email rewboss   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
Jesus said, "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17).
But if you read the rest of the story, you'll find that that was simply not enough.
quote:
Someone doing works, or a system of works, might be doing them hypocritically. But keeping the commandments in your heart allows God to work within you so that you are spiritually reborn.
I think you might have to "unpack" that a little. What do you mean when you say "keep the commandments in your heart"?

I think the idea of purification was picked up by the Israelites from Zoastrianism (oh boy, more syncretism). How do you purify metal? You stick it in a fire, and all the impurities are burned away. If the metal is especially impure, you might be left with very little at all. So it might be (said the Babylonians) with the soul: on death, you pass through a purifying fire. What's left goes to heaven. If you're completely impure, none of you will make it.

Sorry, I'm rambling...

Jesus said that the two commandments which are most important are: Love God with all your heart etc etc; and Love your neighbour as yourself. Seeing as Christians are encouraged to see God in other people, I take that to be two sides of the same commandment: if you love God, you can't hate your neighbour; and vice versa. And if you truly love God, this will be reflected in your life for all to see.

So how about: "True love for God of the sort which leads to works." Faith leads to action. Works, when done not for one's own gain and/or recognition but for the true benefit of others, might be considered love for God -- even if the individual concerned might not think so.

--------------------
The latest from the world of rewboss

Posts: 1334 | From: Lower Franconia, Germany | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

:

To me it is rather wrapped-up with the question of what is salvation. I don't think it is about 'getting to heaven' or avoiding 'hell' which all seems rather medieval.

I view salvation as more about being brought into 'eternal life' which starts now. The fruits of eternal life are growth in a relation with God, good works and hopefully strengthening faith. As is said at the administration of the eucharist at many (Anglican) churches - may the body of Christ KEEP you in eternal life - not get you into heaven.

I struggle with the 'faith alone' idea of salvation as it opposes the idea that I share with some others on this board that there is 'salvation' for others than only those that have faith in Christ. Though I can believe that no body is saved except through Christ - even if they personally do not have faith in him here and now.

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go along with Angel

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree. Grace.

I believe that the way in which this happens is different for everyone, but the common thread is that one - grace.

And Manx Taffy is right - it isn't about getting your card validated for heaven - it's about entering eternal life now.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BarbaraG
Shipmate
# 399

- Posted      Profile for BarbaraG     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Grace of God - demonstrated in his willingness to sacrifice his own son on the cross.

The wonderful thing about grace, is that it frees us from worrying whether we are good enough for God (we're not, but he accepts us anyway). And with all that energy we save by not worrying about our salvation, and with the thankfulness we have in our hearts from knowing we are loved by God, we have the time and enery and motivation to overflow into love and compassion and service to our neighbour.

BarbaraG

--------------------
still trying to make sense of the world

Posts: 143 | From: Nottinghamshire | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TC
Shipmate
# 70

- Posted      Profile for TC   Email TC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The wonderful thing about grace, is that it frees us from worrying whether we are good enough for God (we're not, but he accepts us anyway). And with all that energy we save by not worrying about our salvation, and with the thankfulness we have in our hearts from knowing we are loved by God, we have the time and enery and motivation to overflow into love and compassion and service to our neighbour.

Yeah ...

TC...

--------------------
'Perhaps the dream is dreaming us ... ' Sting, Soul Cages

TC
Shipmate
# 70

- Posted      Profile for TC   Email TC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also,

I think Manx Taffy has a point in that our motivation can't be avoiding hell. This to me seems fear based rather that a desire to be near God and can't be helpful when sharing our faith.

My 2 pence worth anyway.

TC...

--------------------
'Perhaps the dream is dreaming us ... ' Sting, Soul Cages

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Repentance proved by deeds.

W

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grace.

Christ said the two great commandments were to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and mind” and “to love your neighbour as yourself”.

If you love God with your Heart then you’ll be open to him working within you to change you and make you more like Him.

If you love God with your Mind then you’ll have a faith that is capable of engaging with others and listening and learning from them.

If you love your neighbour as yourself there will be a visible difference in your attitudes to others, the environment, the poor etc.

To me, you need all three but it’s a long process – sometimes painful and sometimes fun – but always worth it. The Christian that I am now is different to the one I was when I got saved is different to the one I will be in the future.

Jim, you haven’t said what you think. – A or B or C or what?!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wibblethorpe:
Repentance proved by deeds.
W

I change my vote. I'm with Wib. After all, that is what the disciples were sent out to preach in Luke and Matthew.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Grace on this one. (When do I get to meet her? )

Repentence is the acceptence of that grace.

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a wild-eyed dribbling fundamentalist, I shall quote a verse of Scripture and consider the matter closed:

"A person is justified by works, and not by faith alone." James 2:24

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I add that I'm dismayed by Jim Powell's liberal muliple-choice approach to the issue, suggesting that there is more than one possible answer to questions of faith!

Typical of this wayward postmodern generation.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

- Posted      Profile for Jim Powell         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tubbs, I will allow all who wish to reply do so then I will comment.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Kelly

BANNED
# 577

- Posted      Profile for Kelly         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the posters who stated that salvation is grace. But; everything God does is gracious, so a more specific answer is needed (I feel).

Eph. 2:8&9 declares that we are saved by our faith & not works.

John 3:15 states that if a person simply believes in Jesus Christ, they are saved.

John 6:47 declares that belief in Jesus Christ is all that is required for eternal life.

Good works are a bye-product of slavation, not a requirement.

Faith in Jesus Christ is the only requirement for salvation.

Tony
Apprentice
# 318

- Posted      Profile for Tony   Email Tony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please Sir!. . .Please Sir! I know the answer!

Jim - how will you know when all who wish to reply have done so?

Tony

Posts: 32 | From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Jesus talked about sheep and goats, based on what people had done, and said that not everyone who called Him 'Lord' would enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those whodid the will of His Father in heaven.

There is a tension here. The answer is more complex than Jim's A B C.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, the one time when Jesus was actually asked this question, he replied, "Sell everything you have and go and give it to the poor". Hmm....

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Kelly.
I delight in your salvation!!!!!!Its a thrill to hear the truth
All the best Jim Powell

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

But the rest of us are all wrong, eh Jim?

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Karl.
I will give a full answer in a day or two.
All the best Jim Powell.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are saved by faith in Christ alone

but what does this mean? is there a minimum knowledge about the mechanism by which Christ saves us that we need to understand or assent to? Does that mean those who can't understand such a (hypothetical) minimum knowledge can't be saved?

Alan

[typo corrected]

[ 21 June 2001: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
getting into the thread late...

d... all of the above.

because they are all linked inextricably.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, Karl, this was evidently a test, rather than a sincere and honest question designed to open dialogue on a very important aspect of our faith. The "short answers" demand showed that from the start. And I am most unhappy about it.

I sincerely hope that Jim's next post will interact in some meaningful way with the responses he's received. Otherwise he will be following Max right out the door.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if faith alone is enough without action. There is a lot of stuff in the Bible about “faith without works being meaningless” [James but other passages support this view]. The implication is that Jesus expected a living and growing faith to have practical outworkings and that you couldn't have one without the other

Come on Jim …!

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Erin.
You dont mind if I allow people a little time to give their answers do you.
I will respond shortly.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

Erin, I think you're being very hard on Jim just because he wants to set himself up as our teacher and guru unasked or unwanted.
After all, if he's able to proclaim Kelly saved on the basis of her ability to pick three verses he likes out of the 31,173 in the Bible he is obviously a man of profound insight and wisdom.

I think the rest of us should all shut up and listen to the sermon he has to preach and receive the blessings he has been sent to deliver.

In fact we should rename the whole thing The Ship of Jim Powell.
We could have Gadgets for Jim Powell, the Jim Powell Zone, Urban Jim Powells, Mystery Jim Powell...

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
Of course, the one time when Jesus was actually asked this question, he replied, "Sell everything you have and go and give it to the poor". Hmm....

No, He said, "Keep the commandments." The man asked which ones and Jesus responded specifying six of the ten commandments. When the man said that he had done these, that is when Jesus said to sell everything (Matthew 19.16-22).

An obvious reference, I think, to laying up for yourself treasure in heaven (Matthew 6.19).

--------------------

Charles
Shipmate
# 357

- Posted      Profile for Charles   Email Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This question has been asked so often by Jim and others on this web site and on the Church Net that it seems somewhat superfluous to be asking it again.
Faith is essential for salvation but faith without works is dead (James).
Matthew 25 verses 31 to 46 is most specific.
In so far as you neglected to do this to one of the least of these, you neglected to do it to me. And they will go away to eternal punishment, and the virtuous to eternal life.
Charles

--------------------
Charles

Posts: 115 | From: Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
This question has been asked so often by Jim and others on this web site and on the Church Net that it seems somewhat superfluous to be asking it again.

Yes but it is interesting for us who are new.

Not that I don't know what Jim's "correct" answer is.

I am most interested in the mechanism of salvation. Do people really accept the vicarious atonement? It seems so contrary to what Jesus Himself actually taught.

--------------------

Kelly

BANNED
# 577

- Posted      Profile for Kelly         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 10 commandments & the Jewish law were given to the Hebrews for various benefits & reasons. For correction, society, government ect. But they were also a litmus test to help the Jews gauge their own righteousness. I pose the question ...who has kept all the commandments perfectly? Noone has, only Jesus Christ has done this. The Bible states that all have sinned & fallen short of the glory of God.

When the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he could do to obtain eternal life, Jesus basically told him to be perfect & sinless. The rich man & people today misconstrue this statement into thinking they can go about setting their own righteousness by lying to themselves into thinking they can actually do this. The rich ruler wasn't in the repentant frame of mind when he confronted Jesus, the rich ruler was seeking something that he alone could do to gain acceptance from God. The rich ruler needed to change his mind & realize he was helpless & needed a redeemer. Since noone can keep the commandments perfectly, we have to rely (trust) in the One who did accomplish this, Jesus Christ. By trusting in Christ, we swap our righteousness (which is unacceptable to God) for Christ's righteousness.

The book of James was written to the 12 scattered tribes of Israel. There were many new Christians among these tribes. James was encouraging these disillusioned, new Christians to be happy to be 'tested' in their new faith. Many of the new Christians had become disheartened in their new faith because of their failure to pass the tests and as a result their faith was 'dead'.

These 'dead faith' Christians weren't 'lost' because their faith was now dead. They were just confused & scared and falling for all sorts of false doctrines.

James was simply telling the Christian Jews to pass their tests of faith, thus there faith would grow and their faith would in turn be made perfect. They would then be fruitful Christians and be able to be used of the Lord.

All Christians face this test everday of their lives. Will we pass the faith tests or not? That is the question.

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Tubbs,Phil,Angel,Oilinlamp,Steve,Karl,Stevetom.

You all said grace which is true,but this grace is accepted by faith alone in Christ alone.
The book of James was written to the brethern therefore
does not talk of salvation ,but the believers way of life.
Calling Jesus lord is not the way of salvation,religious people do this,and are not saved(if they have not just believed in Christ's completed work of the cross.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly:
I pose the question ...who has kept all the commandments perfectly?

Who said anything about keeping them all perfectly? It is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

No one of their own power can keep any commandment. But God helps you to turn away from sin, if you let Him - because the power is in Him.

The alternative is that the Christian need not worry about keeping the commandments, since his salvation does not depend on this.

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Will,Dyfrig.
Christ alone is the issue ,nearly everyone believes in God one way or another.Christ said when he was judged for all sins"it is finished"The work of salvation was complete.

Now we choose to believe or not.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Splodge,Nicol.
By grace through faith A
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Freddy,Rewboss.
Obey the commandment of faith in Christ 1John;3:23 Imputed righteousness for all those who believe,now we are able in the power of the spirit know and love God.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Manx Taffy.
We can believe in Christ for salvation up to our death ,after that its to late.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Thank you, Jim, I am glad that my answer seems to meet with your approval.

Of course, you can only receive this grace by being properly accepted by baptism into the holy, apostolic, catholic church.

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

TC, Barbara.

Avoid Hell gain Heaven,perhaps the carrot and stick.By grace through faith alone in Christ alone.
All the best Jim

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Alan Cresswell,
Agreed,and God is fair and just al those who do not reach accountability go to heaven.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

Wibblethorpe.
Repent means to change ones mind about Christ and believe in him,hopefully deeds will follow.
All the best Jim.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016