homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Salvation Army - the 'what do you want to know?' thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Salvation Army - the 'what do you want to know?' thread
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I started this because someone asked me and i couldn't find one that was done previously. Rather than me just publicisise the Army and because this is a discussion forum, maybe I could answer any questions that you have and maybe a debate will arise on each particular subject. As this is ecclesiantics, I guess it will have to major on our chcurch practices rather than our theology, and certainly not stray into charity work.

[ 22. October 2009, 07:34: Message edited by: Think² ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Please don't laugh at my questions!]

Does every member hold a rank?
If one of us joined up, what rank would we receive?
Does every member wear a uniform?
How does one get promoted?
What rank must one have to lead a church?
Does anybody go "Ooooh! Their church is headed by a commander. We just have a lieutenant."

Do you have any order of service guidelines at all? Suggestions given by national or international organizations?

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've attended (secular) meetings at the Salvation Army Hall on Oxford Street and noticed that the layout of the building is very different to a traditional church. I do vaguely remember reading some of the notices around explaining why there was such a high platform and seats around the base to kneel up to, facing this platform, but can't remember exactly what this signified. Sorry to be vague, but can you explain this further?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pointyhat
Apprentice
# 11163

- Posted      Profile for Pointyhat         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:

Does anybody go "Ooooh! Their church is headed by a commander. We just have a lieutenant."

Do you have any order of service guidelines at all? Suggestions given by national or international organizations?

Why would we laugh? There are so many mis-understandings about the Army, yours are no worse than anyone else's!
The answer is thus: the Salvation Army has two types of members - soldiers and officers. Soldiers are members, just like the members of any church, who have committed themselves to worship, service and giving in the local corps. They have signed "The Articles of War" which is a doctrinal statement of beliefs and a list of rules about behaviours eg not to drink alcohol etc. They may or may not wear uniform as they choose. They do not and can not have a rank, except that some of them will become sergeants or sergeant-majors if they accept special responsibilities in the corps.
Officers are full-time, trained and ordained, the same as a vicar or minister. They are promoted from Captain to Major after a set number of years service, then to higher ranks if they are given more responsibility.
It is a general principle that the larger the corps, the more experienced and senior your officer will be.
By the way, I am an ex-Salvationist, having left the Army about 15 years ago, so some of what I say may now be out of date.

Posts: 31 | From: Derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You can be a 'friend' - a member of the congregation.
You can be an 'adherent' - someone who is happy to accept the officer as his/her minister and be placed on the membership roll. Adherents have to profess salvation.
You can be a 'soldier' which is a covenanted member as previously stated.

If you join up you become a soldier and you can (should IMHO) wear uniform though it's not compulsory unless you are in a band, choir or other active role.

Promotion is role-based. A soldier might become a 'local officer' which is akin to a steward - LOs include treasurer, secretary, bandmaster, Corps Sergeant Major (Chief steward). Other minor 'sergeant' positions include colour sergeant, primary sergeant (for the smallest subnday school kids) and other roles like teachers, etc.

Normally churches are led by commissioned and ordained officers - Lieutenant, Captain, Major and occasionally Lieutenant-Colonel. Some congregations are led by warranted (as opposed to commissioned)'Envoys' who are akin to lay preachers/readers.

Sadly there are still those who see rank as a mark of superiority. It is of course a sign of length of service and experience and respect is accorded but there should be no sense of pride that one church has a Major and the other has a Captain. As in all churches, some younger ministers are far better than the old ones.

We have no orders of service, no liturgy. But we do have our own song book and while we are free to use other sources, in the main we would use this. Music is a tremendous part of our meetings. We would be low evangelical rather than charismatic. A bit like excited Methodists perhaps.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I've attended (secular) meetings at the Salvation Army Hall on Oxford Street and noticed that the layout of the building is very different to a traditional church. I do vaguely remember reading some of the notices around explaining why there was such a high platform and seats around the base to kneel up to, facing this platform, but can't remember exactly what this signified. Sorry to be vague, but can you explain this further?

Yes, there is a 'traditional' Salvation Army style from the nineteenth century when all our purpose-built halls were made to resemble music halls. Huge stages, wrap around balconies, etc.
This is not the style now though our halls are usually plain and minimalist.

The bench that leans up against the platform facing the congregation is our Mercy Seat or Penitent Form. We borrowed this from revivalist Methodism (where our roots lie) and it is the place where people come and kneel, facing the platform, on the occasion of an altar call. It's called the Mercy Seat because in the OT it was the place God's presence was found and God said he would meet the people at the Mercy seat. It was also a place of atonement.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Hi Pointyhat. Good to meet you. God bless you.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mudfrog , as I recall an earlier thread, another poster described street marches as being a part of the Army's liturgy. On reflection, that seemed to me correct; it may not be a liturgy of the same kind as eg a multi-con-celebrated Papal High Mass, but nonetheless it is a form of worship following a set pattern capable of regular repetition. so I'd disagree with at least part of your statement: "We have no orders of service, no liturgy".

And welcome aboard Pointyhat .

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pointyhat
Apprentice
# 11163

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Hi, good to meet you too.
Would I be right in thinking that in the years since I left the Army, it has become a bit less "Army-fied" and a bit more "church-fied"? I have noticed that corps sometimes refer to themselves as church centres, with ministers and choirs, rather thn officers and songsters. Is this just to help comprehension, is it modernisation, or is it that the Army is becoming more mainstream?
And what else has changed while my back has been turned?

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Mudfrog , as I recall an earlier thread, another poster described street marches as being a part of the Army's liturgy. On reflection, that seemed to me correct; it may not be a liturgy of the same kind as eg a multi-con-celebrated Papal High Mass, but nonetheless it is a form of worship following a set pattern capable of regular repetition. so I'd disagree with at least part of your statement: "We have no orders of service, no liturgy".

And welcome aboard Pointyhat .

Hmmm, I would prefer to say that an Army band marching is more of an act of witness than an act of worship. It is designed - music, flags and uniforms - to raise awareness, draw attention and just 'make a joyful noise'. It's a parade that says 'Look at us! Now listen to what we say!"

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Pointyhat:
quote:

Hi, good to meet you too.
Would I be right in thinking that in the years since I left the Army, it has become a bit less "Army-fied" and a bit more "church-fied"? I have noticed that corps sometimes refer to themselves as church centres, with ministers and choirs, rather thn officers and songsters. Is this just to help comprehension, is it modernisation, or is it that the Army is becoming more mainstream?
And what else has changed while my back has been turned?

Only in the sense of communication. Quite often the 'church' words will be placed in brackets e.g. I am an officer (minister) of the corps (church). It does worry me slightly. It's also a symptom of the rather irrational dislike some people have to the Army identity.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pointyhat
Apprentice
# 11163

The military terminology is not PC, is it? I know people who are uncomfortable with it, and some of it just sounds quaint in this day and age.
I wonder how many Salvationists would still refer to "firing their cartridge" for example?

Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A follow-up about your worship - If you have a song book but no written liturgy, do your services have a typical "shape" - e.g. six songs with a sermon of x length after the third, etc? Is there more than one basic type or can they all be announced as "Service at 10am" "Service at 6pm"?

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Pointyhat:
The military terminology is not PC, is it? I know people who are uncomfortable with it, and some of it just sounds quaint in this day and age.
I wonder how many Salvationists would still refer to "firing their cartridge" for example?

Ha! Yes we still have cartridge envelopes but no one really talks about firing cartridges any more - it's 'personal giving' or just 'the collection'.
I don't think anyone thinks about PC issues really. It's a non-argument. I think the Bible is quite sufficient in its justification of military metaphor.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Joan_of_Quark:
A follow-up about your worship - If you have a song book but no written liturgy, do your services have a typical "shape" - e.g. six songs with a sermon of x length after the third, etc? Is there more than one basic type or can they all be announced as "Service at 10am" "Service at 6pm"?

There will be songs of praise, testimony, teaching, challenge, etc. The meeting leader will compile an order of service that suits the occason. There will often be a songster song, the band will often play an intrumental piece of music too.

Traditionally the morning meeting is for teaching and encouraging Christian holiness and tends to be more devotional. The evening meeting tends to be more gospel-focused and would traditionally be called a 'salvation' meeting.

Nowadays these distinctions are often blurred.

Prayers are usually extempore and there will be no reciting of the creeds or anything like that.
There will normally be an 'opening prayer', a prayer of commitment following the sermon and a final benediction or the grace.

Sometimes in the morning there might be a children's story.
It's all very free and easy and there will be variations in where and when songs are placed in the running.

In my meetings, the sermon is near the end and will be followed by a chorus or song of response, a prayer and then a final song.

[ 13. August 2009, 17:54: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A serious question: is is 'publicise the Salvation Army week' or something?

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Liverpool fan:
A serious question: is is 'publicise the Salvation Army week' or something?

No, I was asked by a host to start the thread.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, right. Wasn't being funny like. Us Quakers had such a week earlier this year.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There will be songs of praise, testimony, teaching, challenge, etc. The meeting leader will compile an order of service that suits the occason. There will often be a songster song, the band will often play an intrumental piece of music too.

Traditionally the morning meeting is for teaching and encouraging Christian holiness and tends to be more devotional. The evening meeting tends to be more gospel-focused and would traditionally be called a 'salvation' meeting.

Couple of questions, what's 'challenge' in this context ? And is it then standard that you have a morning and evening service of a Sunday - do you have any other days you worship on and do you follow any kind of liturgical calendar ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laurie17
Shipmate
# 14889

- Posted      Profile for Laurie17   Email Laurie17   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very interesting thread. Thanks.

I had some SA experience as a youngster and still have a soft spot. It was never my 'main' church though, by any means. I ahve also had other forms of contact more recently, including professional contacts, and my old friend from school days wh happens to be gay, and of high rank. Also loves his pint, while I am tt !!

My parents used to bring The War Cry back home --

from the pub ! [Frown]

--------------------
when thee touched my heart
I were undone like dropped blossom
Daw'r ffordd yn glir yn araf deg.

Posts: 659 | From: off hand | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
songster song

[Confused]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:

Couple of questions, what's 'challenge' in this context ? And is it then standard that you have a morning and evening service of a Sunday - do you have any other days you worship on and do you follow any kind of liturgical calendar ?
A challenge would be seen in the invitation to accept Christ or the invitation to make a fresh commitment to be holy.

Most places will have morning and evening meetings - and a Sunday school. Some places will have just the morning. One very small congregation near here only has an evening service.

We keep the main feasts and festivals - we don't go a bundle on Lent and Advent though. Good Friday there'll be a meeting - or even 2! We never keep Saints days.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Laurie17:

I had some SA experience as a youngster and still have a soft spot. It was never my 'main' church though, by any means. I ahve also had other forms of contact more recently, including professional contacts, and my old friend from school days wh happens to be gay, and of high rank. Also loves his pint, while I am tt !!

My parents used to bring The War Cry back home --

from the pub ! [Frown]

Hmmm, interesting comment.

Your old school friend - the gay drinker of pints: when you say 'of high rank', what exactly do you understand by that? In what context is he highly ranking?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
songster song

[Confused]
Sorry - terminology.

Our choir members are called songsters.
The choir is commonly referred to as The Songsters. They don't lead singing or sing responses or anything like that, but they will contribute one song during the service and occasionally will put on a musical concert of their songs.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Basically what we'd call an anthem, then, although the actual music may well be different.

Here the SA seems to have a position that I could describe as "semi-establishment", i.e. apart from the Anglicans they are perhaps the denomination most likely to have a formal involvement in civic events. For example, at the borough Remembrance Sunday service at the Fairfield Halls the music is provided by our choir and the SA band. Is that situation common elsewhere?

We (liberal catholic Anglicans) have good relations with the local citadel over the road. (Are they still called citadels?) When they were having some work done several years they joined us for our Sunday Eucharist for a couple of weeks, with the SA major preaching on one of them. They didn't half boost the volume of the congregational singing [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
Basically what we'd call an anthem, then, although the actual music may well be different.

Here the SA seems to have a position that I could describe as "semi-establishment", i.e. apart from the Anglicans they are perhaps the denomination most likely to have a formal involvement in civic events. For example, at the borough Remembrance Sunday service at the Fairfield Halls the music is provided by our choir and the SA band. Is that situation common elsewhere?

We (liberal catholic Anglicans) have good relations with the local citadel over the road. (Are they still called citadels?) When they were having some work done several years they joined us for our Sunday Eucharist for a couple of weeks, with the SA major preaching on one of them. They didn't half boost the volume of the congregational singing [Big Grin] .

The bands are used a lot in civic type situations. It's because they provide portable music I guess.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

wheelie racer
Shipmate
# 13854

- Posted      Profile for wheelie racer   Email wheelie racer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another ex- salvationist here [Smile]

--------------------
Disability Rights: To boldly go where everyone else has gone..

Posts: 171 | From: off this planet | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by wheelie racer:
Another ex- salvationist here [Smile]

Hi there!
[Smile]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have mentioned the initiation cermeony on the boards - what orm does it take, cos I thought you didn't do baptism ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Laurie17
Shipmate
# 14889

- Posted      Profile for Laurie17   Email Laurie17   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too would be interested in the orm it takes. thanks

--------------------

Laurie17
Shipmate
# 14889

quote:
quote:

I had some SA experience as a youngster and still have a soft spot.

Hmmm, interesting comment.

Your old school friend - the gay drinker of pints: when you say 'of high rank', what exactly do you understand by that? In what context is he highly ranking?

I meant of high rank in the SA of course ! He has a great ministry (stipendiary) I am shure he drinks his pints in moderation so fret not. I think the tt thing is in obeyance in churhces these days. Most church members like a glass of wine or beer , it seems.

Whereas the Brethren of my childhood were totally tt. Church parties were great fun with children's games' enjoyed by all --the adults were 100% sober and entered into the fun. More fun than drink fuelled occasions so common in and out of church circles these days. Still I mustnt be a miserable s ! Must I !

[ 18. August 2009, 22:50: Message edited by: Laurie17 ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You have mentioned the initiation cermeony on the boards - what orm does it take, cos I thought you didn't do baptism ?

quote:
I too would be interested in the orm it takes. thanks

Just because it's a four-letter word beginning with 'f', it doesn't mean you have to censor it, you know?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[Razz]

I noticed the typo of form sometime after I had posted, and felt it would be an abuse of my hostly powers to edit waaaay after the usual flood control just to make my typing look swanky.

--------------------

Pointyhat
Apprentice
# 11163

By "initiation ceremony" do you mean for infants or adults? You are correct in thinking that the Army does not baptise. However, babies born to Salvation Army families can be dedicated in a ceremony similar to baptism. No water or trinitarian formula of course. It's a ceremony of thanksgiving and a public declaration of intent to raise the child in a Christian home.
Adults who wish to become soldiers go through a "confirmation" ceremony of swearing in, under the flag. Conducted by the corps officer, it includes taking vows to live according to Christian principles and the Army Articles of War, which are publically signed.
And as far as I am aware, the Army has in no way removed the requirement for soldiers to be teetotal. Have I missed something here?

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Below you will find the transcripts of the Salvation Army's full dedication ceremony and also the thamnksgiving ceremony.

THE DEDICATION CEREMONY

1. When the ceremony begins, the child should be held by one of the parents. It is usual for the parents to stand together to the left of the officer conducting the ceremony. The flag may be used for all dedications, and the colour sergeant should stand behind the officer.

2. The cradle roll sergeant and the young people’s sergeant-major, and any other participating local officer, should stand on the other side of the officer from the parents.

3. Other children of the family may stand with their parents, if this is desired. If they do so, the officer should acknowledge their presence and speak to them about their own place in the life of the family.

4. Suitable introductory comments should emphasise the importance placed by The Salvation Army upon Christ-centred family life and the responsibilities of parenthood.

5. A suitable passage of Scripture should be read.

6. The officer shall then say to the parents:
"In the dedication of this child you desire to give him/her fully to God. You wish to thank God for entrusting this precious life into your hands, and you want him/her to be nurtured in all that is pure, lovely and honest. To this end you promise that you will keep from him/her, so far as you are able, everything which is likely to harm him/her in body, mind or spirit.
You also promise that, as he/she grows in wisdom and stature, you will teach him/her the truths of the gospel, encourage him/her to seek Christ as Saviour, and support him/her in the commitment of his/her life to the service of God. You must be
to him/her an example of a true Christian.
If you are willing to make these promises, I will receive the child in the name of God, and on behalf of The Salvation Army."

7. The officer shall take the child and ask the congregation to stand. Where the child is no longer an infant the officer should take him by the hand and lead him to his side. He shall then address the congregation as follows:
"In the name of the Lord and on behalf of the ... Corps of The Salvation Army, I receive this child ... (and here he will give all the names of the child) in recognition of the promises which have been made by his/her parents this day.

8. The officer (or some other person) shall then offer prayer.

9. The officer shall, at this or some other convenient point, address the congregation, reminding them that they are not only witnesses to the ceremony, but also participants in it, and as a such are pledged to support the parents in their spiritual responsibilities.

10. The officer shall then say to the parents:
"In returning ... (first name of the child) into your care, I charge you to care for him/her in the name of the Lord, and to keep the promises that you have made concerning him/her."

11. The officer shall then return the child to the parents and present the certificate of dedication.

12. The parents, before leaving the hall, shall sign the dedication register.

13. If the cradle roll sergeant has not previously enrolled the child, this should be done without further delay and a cradle roll certificate presented.

THE THANKSGIVING AND PRESENTATION CEREMONY

1. This ceremony is not intended for salvationists, but is for use when parents are reluctant to make the promises required by the dedication ceremony. The parents are not asked to make any specific commitment to a Christian upbringing; the ceremony is intended, however, to encourage those spiritual desires, however faint, which have prompted the request for a religious service.

2. The officer should therefore use every opportunity, both in private counselling and during the ceremony, to commend to the parents the benefits of regular worship and training in Christian values.

3. The ceremony should normally take place in the Army hall, but not necessarily in a public meeting. The Army flag may be used at the officer’s discretion.

4. The officer shall say to the parents:
"In presenting this child to God, you wish to give thanks to him for his precious gift. You want him/her to grow up to be healthy, wise and good, and you therefore promise that you will keep from him/her, so far as you are able, everything which is likely to harm him/her in body, mind or soul. If this is your intention, I will receive the child."

5. The officer shall then take the child and pray as follows:
"Dear heavenly Father, we thank you for the precious gift of this child ... (and here he shall give all the names of the child). Take him/her into your care and give to his/her parents wisdom to teach and train him/her in all that is pure, lovely and honest. In accepting this responsibility, may they at all times seek your help and guidance, In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

6. The officer shall then return the child to the parents, and offer such further words of advice as he considers suitable.

7. Names of children for whom this ceremony is used will be entered in the dedication register, and a thanksgiving and presentation certificate given to the parents. The child’s name should also be entered on the cradle roll and a cradle roll certificate issued.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Here is the ceremony of enrolment of a soldier in The Salvation Army:

SECTION 1: THE ENROLMENT OF SOLDIERS

1. The public enrolment ceremony of
Salvation Army soldiers is an important occasion both in the life of the prospective soldier and in the life of the corps. The officiating officer should seek to make the ceremony a means of impressing the principles of Christian discipleship and salvationism upon those about to be enrolled and upon Salvationists and others in the meeting.

2. Only those people may be received into soldiership who:
(a) Have professed salvation through faith in
Christ and now acknowledge him as Lord and Saviour.
(b) Have studied the doctrines, principles and
evangelistic witness of the Army as embodied in the Soldier's Covenant and fully explained in Chosen to be a Soldier (Orders and Regulations for Soldiers of The Salvation Army) and The Salvation Army Handbook of Doctrine. Such studies
should be undertaken with the guidance of
the corps officer and the recruiting sergeant
or other person designated.
(c) Have been accepted by the senior pastoral
care council in accordance with Orders and
Regulations for Senior Pastoral Care Councils.
(d) Have signed the Soldier's Covenant.

3. The officer should use the opportunity to challenge the uncommitted with the claims of the gospel and urge salvationists and Christian friends to rededicate themselves to the service of God.

4. At the time of the enrolment, the recruits should be called to the platform and stand under the flag.

5. The recruiting sergeant, or another representative local officer, should also be invited to stand with the recruits. The young people's sergeant-major should participate when junior soldiers are being enrolled as senior soldiers.

6. When all are assembled, an appropriate passage of Scripture should be read by the officiating
officer or some other suitable person.

7. The officer may then lead the recruits in affirming their faith by reading in unison the doctrines accepted by the salvationists. The congregation could also be invited to join in the united reading.

8. An appropriate chorus may be sung, after which the officer shall refer to the articles of war (a soldier's covenant) by saying:
"All who wish to become soldiers of The Salvation
Army are required to sign the Soldier's Covenant.
In so doing, they testify that:
• They worship God as Father, Son and Holy
Spirit.
• They have accepted Jesus Christ as Saviour
and Lord.
• They desire to fulfil their membership of his
Church on earth as a soldier of The Salvation Army.
They affirm their belief in the Bible as the word of God and their acceptance of The Salvation Army’s articles of faith.
They declare that:
• They will be responsive to the Holy Spirit
and seek to grow in grace.
• They will make the values of the Kingdom of
God the standard for their lives, showing Christian integrity in their deeds, maintaining Christian ideals in their relationships, and upholding the sanctity of marriage and family life.
• They will be faithful stewards of all they
have and are.
• They will abstain from the use of all enslaving substances and harmful activities.
• They will be active in God's work both in sharing the gospel and in serving the needy, and will contribute financially to its support.
• They will be true to the principles of The
Salvation Army.
They witness that they freely enter into this
covenant, convinced that the love of Christ requires the devotion of their lives to his service for the salvation of the whole world.
And they declare their determination, by God's
help, to be true soldiers of The Salvation Army.

9. The officer shall then say to the recruits:
"Do you (each) declare, in the presence of God and
this congregation, that you undertake, by the help
of the Holy Spirit, to live and work as a true soldier of Jesus Christ and of The Salvation Army,
according to the witness and promises you make
this day. If so, raise your right hand and say: ‘I
do.’"
They shall each reply: 'I do.'

10. The names of the new soldiers shall be called, and, if desired, they may be invited to sign a presentation copy of the Soldier's Covenant. The officer shall then briefly charge them to keep their promises and, by the grace of God, to be of blessing to the world in which they live. In particular, he should encourage them to
testify openly for Christ, to wear uniform, to give prayer a central place in their home life and, as stewards of their time, abilities and financial resources, to offer these to the Lord, recognising this as the only adequate response to
Christ's sacrifice for them. The officer should conclude by presenting to each soldier the illuminated copy of the Soldier's Covenant, offering the hand of fellowship as he says:
"In the name of the Lord whom we love and serve, I
accept your declarations and receive you as (a) soldier(s) of the ... Corps of The Salvation Army.

11. A dedicatory prayer should be offered.

12. If there is time, each new soldier should
testify; otherwise one or two representatives should do so.

13. The congregation should then be asked to join
the new soldiers in singing a verse promising faithfulness to God.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

It sounds similar to a confirmation.

Slightly different question, cos after all this is Eccles - are there any uniform variations for particular sub-groupings ?

--------------------

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't remember this at my confirmation.

quote:
They will abstain from the use of all enslaving substances and harmful activities.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I was thinking more in terms of the standing and giving formal assent to a set of principles.

Not a bad promise to make though, is it ?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

Slightly different question, cos after all this is Eccles - are there any uniform variations for particular sub-groupings ?

There is a basic standard uniform and it would be the trimmings that would change.

An officer (clergy) have red epaulettes with insignia that goes with whatever rank they hold (1 star for Lieutenant, 2 for captain, crest for Major)

Musicians and singers have blue epaulettes

Other soldiers have black epaulettes.

Overseas in African they wear white or khaki uniforms instead of dark blue serge. In India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, etc, the women wear Salvation Army saris or those trouser suits.

Scotland has its own Salvation Army tartan!! but it's rarely worn.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
I was thinking more in terms of the standing and giving formal assent to a set of principles.

Not a bad promise to make though, is it ?

Interestingly in times of great awakening and renewal the churches have often made teetotalism and other lifestyle commitments a pre-requisite for believers' baptism.

In Russia after the fall of communism, I heard that baptist churches were requiring lifestyle commitments before their baptisms.

In the UK one of the differences between 'Church' and 'Chapel' was that Church people drank and Chapel people didn't.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I hath googled and found:

I understand that SA uniforms are sometimes known to members colloquially as 'sally suits' - have you come across this ? Also, looking at the prices, I take it you subsidise the uniforms for soldiers with low incomes ?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
I hath googled and found:

I understand that SA uniforms are sometimes known to members colloquially as 'sally suits' - have you come across this ? Also, looking at the prices, I take it you subsidise the uniforms for soldiers with low incomes ?

Never heard it called a sally suit here in UK.
We don't subsidise uniforms for soldiers. Officers get a taxable allowance for uniforms because it's 'workwear' for them.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Laurie17
Shipmate
# 14889

quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
I don't remember this at my confirmation.

quote:
They will abstain from the use of all enslaving substances and harmful activities.

Nice parallel with the *Five Precepts* embraced at the beginning of Buddhist Commitment to a life of Mindfulness / meditation -also known as Pancil.

* Also known as the Five Mindfulness Trainings.( by Thich Nhat Hanh)

[ 30. August 2009, 12:59: Message edited by: Laurie17 ]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

I would prefer to see it as our version of adult believers' baptism. We 'dry-clean' in The Salvation Army!

Interesting thought here:

The original meaning of the word 'sacramentum' was an oath made to a commanding officer by a new soldier in the Roman army.

We don't say that the swearing-in of a SA soldier is a sacrament but we would, as I have said, see a parallel with baptism.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Do you make use of any sacraments ?

[ 31. August 2009, 10:16: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Has there been any serious discussion within SA circles about the development of a Sacramental theology?

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you regard yourselves as a church? Or as a para-church organisation?
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Do you make use of any sacraments ?

Trick question really.

I think what you are asking is whether we have the Eucharist and water baptism of any kind. The answer to that is no.

Do we perform actions that convey Christ's presence and can be a means of grace? Then yes, of course. All life and everything the church does in the name of Christ is a means of grace, a sacrament.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Raspberry Rabbit:
1. Has there been any serious discussion within SA circles about the development of a Sacramental theology?

Indeed there has. There have been books written over the years and a little over 10 years ago a Spiritual Life Commission sat and produced a considered document.

Go HERE and scroll down to page 103 to find the statement.

There is also THIS which is our response to "Baptism, Eucharist and Ministry".

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016