homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: GeoGuesser Tournament (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: GeoGuesser Tournament
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found a highly addictive game GeoGuesser.

You are given five Google Street View scenes* and you are to guess where in the world (literally) the scenes might be. You get to move around and zoom in and out as well as turn around in a circle. You get points for accuracy, not timing.

So far, my closest guess was 75 km off. My worst was somewhere in Canada when it was really Australia.

Give it a try and then post your closest guess and your highest score.

[ 19. February 2014, 20:39: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7.189 km for somewhere just shy of Lea Park, Alberta.

Which actually isn't that impressive, given that there's a sign advertising the Lea Park Pro Rodeo 10 miles north of the location.

Almost got Novosibirsk—it was a 50/50 toss-up between it and Ekaterinberg (again, reading advertising signs on the river overpass), and I figured that the Google pics of the Ekaterinberg skyline looked better. Still got Central Asia, but still.

Worst was putting northern Sweden somewhere in Colorado.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5735 points apparently. I managed to guess correctly that one scene was indeed in North America, though in Colorado not in Salt Lake City where I'd dumped the cursor before realizing you could zoom the map to make your guess more precise.

Probably my most way out guess was thinking a scene of a bridge with fancy Victorian lamp posts was in New Zealand when it was actually in Poland.

[ 08. June 2013, 19:26: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, second play through: guessed one spot in southern Australia was in the Channel Islands of California. 97 points. Next one? Found the Marden Pharmacy in both the picture and on the map. 19 meters off, 6478 points. On a dirt road in a desert somewhere...wait, that dust cloud must have been kicked up by the van, and it's juuust slightly on the wrong side...we're in Australia. Further northeast than I would have thought, but hey. Next? Recognized that there's probably only one place with a mosque in what's obviously a kremlin—turns out Kazan. 113 meters off for guessing the wrong side of the mosque, 6470 points. Last one? Wow, that looks like Flanders. Hey, that looks like Flemish! Ah, a cafe with a beer sign! Yes, it's... well, only 71 km off, even if it's in the Netherlands. It counts, right?

18749 points, even if I got one on the complete wrong side of the planet.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10230 points this time. I'm pleased to say that thanks to a helpful estate agent's sign I pinpointed a location in Northern France to within 120 miles.

Some part of Brazil does look awfully like West Africa though.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

18749 points, even if I got one on the complete wrong side of the planet.

That beats my 14,517. I got one in Omsk within 10km, and another about 70 km (I guessed Hong Kong, but it was Macau), a couple about 1000 km away (but let's face it, one flat part of the US with fields looks pretty much like another) and one pretty hopeless (it was Brazil, and I said Oklahoma).
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10497 total points. Closest guess was a part of Canada I have visited. Only about 650km out....
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first guess was far and away my most accurate - about 200km out (I guessed Holland and it was Germany). Thought I was being clever in one by guessing Australia because the road signs were on the left; it was actually South Africa. Didn't know they drive on the left too.

It's very addictive though - I may end up calling Tortuf to Hell ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Thought I was being clever in one by guessing Australia because the road signs were on the left; it was actually South Africa. Didn't know they drive on the left too.

It's very addictive though - I may end up calling Tortuf to Hell ... [Devil]

Oh, that one tripped you up too?
I think I may join in on the dogpiling when you make your call.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't even got enough time to dogpile Tortuf...so much for getting up early to get some work done......... [Roll Eyes]

I'm not as good at this as some of you but am rather pleased to be getting the right country much of the time, even if sometimes quite some way out. I'm doing better than I thought I would, and that's quite satisfying enough for me. I have to admit how exciting I find it when I see a person, albeit ever so briefly, in the picture.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, someone in Brazil actually got off his bicycle to stare.

Best guess was thanks to a Korean road sign, so only about 100 miles out.

Given some pause for thought by a bilingual school bus that had both English and Hebrew on it, except that the buildings and landscape were pretty definitely North American.

Worst guess - mistaking Chile for Canada and being a few thousand miles out, but that could happen to anyone...

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, 13682. Score helped a lot by getting the parking lot of a national park in Spain where I managed to read one of the signs. Also, long straight American roads through cornfields are practically impossible to pin down!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

13557, no Googling, all of it rural roads through mountains. Turns out I really know my mountains, and can pick out where an Interstate is passing through the western Mojave Desert within a 50 km radius. Still not as good as yesterday's 22,000+ score, but that one handed me a couple really good clues, including Kiev's Maidan Nezalezhnosti, which is about as recognizable as "major landmark in a national capitol" as you can get—and reading "Hotel Ukrane" on one of the biggest buildings kinda narrows down which national capitol you're in.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long straight roads anywhere are impossible to pin down. Worst guess was for Norfolk (Though I have ben on similar roads in Lincolnshire( which turned out to be Southern Australia, only 43 points for that.

Best guess was a parallel road to the one the picture was taken on in Sweden. The road sign to a nearby town helped.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Closest is 129 m., relying on a road sign that identified the actual (large) building in Hay, NSW

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I scored 10794 - with one truly lucky photo which actually showed a sign for the University of Alaska at Fairbanks.

Other than that I mistook Mexico for Italy, Kansas for Wyoming, Japan for China, and Tasmania for Southern California. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Best "gee, I wonder where this is" photo so far: Lenin's Tomb.
Best "wow, that's a really cool place!" photo: either the main tourist drag of Pirenópolis, Brazil or the UBB-code breaking Kul Sharif Mosque in Kazan.
Worst blunder: confusing southeastern Oklahoma for Finland.
Best stroke of genius: learning exactly what the Canadian Rockies look like in Vancouver.
Least fair photo: a back alley carpark somewhere in a city, no moving around. I felt good enough that I guessed it was somewhere in Eastern Europe.
Best guesses for everything: Eastern European/Central Asian metropoloi; Western Canada (especially BC!)/eastern Alaska; northern Scandanavia; South Africa/Australia if it looks deserty; Brazil if it looks tropical.

[ 10. June 2013, 00:17: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
22 km. That's it for tonight.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
22km???? That's almost indecent. I was mostly rubbish tonight, until the last one, which I got to within just over 300km, and I was in the right state! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
14k points, and yeah this is way too interesting, so my first try will not be improved upon for a while. I'd better do other things!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After spending like an hour at it this time I improved my scoreby about 4000 points... This time my worst confusion was thinking western Ontario was California. (I couldn't remember where the Ojibway Indians live.) Also I mixed St. Johns, Newfoundland with Halifax, NS... sorry, piglet!
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First attempt: I wasn't playing correctly. How come you have a different starting point every time? I assumed that you were measuring from your original "start point". I don't geddit [Frown] But I did ID all 5 pics pretty well. [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five pictures of long straight roads with bushes to one side.

One had a roadsign in it. You can guess which:

Your guess was 1465.474 km from the correct location and gave 2054 points.
Your guess was 1945.198 km from the correct location and gave 1962 points.
Your guess was 1.984 km from the correct location and gave 6314 points.
Your guess was 11232.359 km from the correct location and gave 331 points.
Your guess was 10221.523 km from the correct location and gave 459 points.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm already happy when I guess the right continent! [Eek!]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, I got a windmill and people on bicycles now. I wonder which country that would be?

[ETA: It was Sweden! They're not playing fair!! [Waterworks] ]

[ 10. June 2013, 18:48: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
84 metres out! Trivial though cos there was a cenotaph, a number of skyscrapers, roadsigns in Chinese and English, and mountains visible oin the horizon. We're not in Kansas any more...

Actually I'm prouder of missing another one by 120 km. No cars, no signs, no buildings, no mountains, straight road, pretty flat, northern hemisphere. Not much of anything. So I guessed the boring bit of Texas and I was right [Biased] And I got 212 km on a picutre of somewhere in South Africa that had a different view of a similar mountain to ome I missed by 10,221 km miss the first time.

--------------------
Ken

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

LOL, there was one in a Brazilian village with a beauty parlour showing the phone number with an area code.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Either the world has a heck of a lot of long, straight, roads with no visible human habitation in sight, or else some masochist is actually searchign such places out to take pictures of them. I mean, I've been to lots of places, and I've hardly ever seen a dead straight section of road longer than a couple of miles or so (and not many of them in Britain) Here in London there are effectively no logn straight roads at all. Not even Edgeware Road or Shooters Hill, though they look straight on the map.

heck, I find Gower Street disturbingly straight so I deliberately avoid it when walking or cycling so I don;t have to look up and down it. And its about half a mile long.

--------------------
Ken

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

They have lavender fields in Alaska??? That's a long way from my guess in the South of France.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Yes!! There's one in Recife! I know exactly where this is.

[ETA: 14m from the correct location!]

[ 10. June 2013, 19:34: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I scored 18,149 points. I made two almost perfect guesses, two pretty darn close, and only one that was significant, although I was on the right continent.

Who has time for this???

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Dear Australians,

Could you please not be so far from the rest of the world?

You're costing me lots of points.

Ta much.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got a spot that I literally drove by 11 days ago, halfway between Cabo San Lucas Mexico and Todos Santos Mexico. it looked like pretty much any road side beer stop in Northern Mexico, and I was lucky enough to guess the western side of the country. I still managed to be 300 KM off, which I have learned is not bad for this game if you don't get any give-away clues.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Er... I'm just getting a very dark street now.

[ETA: I must be on the inside of a tunnel!]

[ 10. June 2013, 23:36: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, if it looks vaguely like rural Latin America, I have found it helpful to look for a beer sign- that will get you in the right country, at least.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Og, King of Bashan: For what it's worth, if it looks vaguely like rural Latin America, I have found it helpful to look for a beer sign- that will get you in the right country, at least.
Definitely! I already got a couple right in this way.

It seems to me that I only get a small number of countries though:
  • Canada
  • USA
  • Mexico
  • Brazil (I usually get those within 150km)
  • Norway
  • Russia (the Cyrillic script is a giveaway)
  • South-Africa
  • Thailand (same for the Thai script)
  • Japan
  • Australia
I usually lose the most points because for many rural roads I don't have a clue whether they're in the US or in Australia.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I've spent enough time driving through Kansas and Texas to know what an American great plains rural road looks like. The only problem is that all of the small towns look exactly the same. I keep guessing Texas and getting Nebraska. The lack of a big Texas flag anywhere should be a giveaway.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

I usually lose the most points because for many rural roads I don't have a clue whether they're in the US or in Australia.

US = driving right side of the road and measurements are in miles
Australia = driving on the left side of the road and the pictures will be upside down.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
lilBuddha: US = driving right side of the road and measurements are in miles
Australia = driving on the left side of the road and the pictures will be upside down.

LOL, I read the first sentence and was already getting ready to post "I know that". Then I read the second sentence and you completely caught me there!
[Killing me]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
84 metres out!

I was happy with my 1.935 km until I saw this. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ahem:

quote:
LeRoc: [ETA: 14m from the correct location!]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sorry, missed that amongst all those wrong continent posts...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
lilBuddha: Sorry, missed that amongst all those wrong continent posts...
Yeah, rub it in [Biased]

I was lucky though: when I'm in that part of Brazil, I pass by that place daily.

--------------------

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
20,591 that time. Three right on the money, one barely off, one WAY off.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, .0451 km out just proves one can Google. [Big Grin] It was pointy, but 18.5k or so only, so not even close to Grits. (Nice!)
Hardest was the search the Japanese location! For all the signs, I couldn't see anything to search.

[ 11. June 2013, 02:50: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

.52km, but not really fair as it dropped me in Baydon. Right next to a sign.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
24,184. Not sure I'll beat that. Started off badly, mistaking Western Australia for the US midwest, but was dumped outside the main station in Frankfurt for the second, then a couple of giveaway roadsigns and a good guess at the part of Russia the Russian street scene was in.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

.117 km. OTOH I have no patience for roads out in the middle of nowhere.
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

Are we allowed to Google?

ETA I see a couple of people have mentioned searching and I am certainly going to start doing it if we're allowed!

[ 11. June 2013, 03:18: Message edited by: Antisocial Alto ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Aren't any rules against, AFAIK. Besides, how would we know?

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
mistaking Western Australia for the US midwest,

People mention this, but they are very distinctive to me. The roads are different, even when they are in similar condition. The soil is different.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016