homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2010 SoF Celebrity Death Pool (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2010 SoF Celebrity Death Pool
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, it is once again that time of year when our thoughts turn to the future and the natural morbid curiosity which lies within us all idly begins to wonder who's going to kick the bucket in the next twelve months.

And seeing as this is the Circus, we shall make a game out of it [Big Grin] . So, I am pleased to announce the 2010 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool.

For the uninitiated, the gist of it is that you have to pick who is going to die in the next calendar year. If one of your choices does pop their clogs, you are awarded points as explained below. The winner is the person with the most points. The deadline for posting your list is the end of this year (which we shall take to be 23.59 GMT on December 31st, 2009) and if you miss this deadline you will not be able to take any further part.

So, have fun, think carefully, and read the rules below!

1. You must pick 13 well-known people whom you think will shuffle off this mortal coil in 2010. That is, starting from 00.01 GMT on January 1st 2010 and ending at 23.59 GMT on December 31st 2010.
  2. The definition of well-known is that their deaths will be reported by at least one major news outlet. Examples outlets include The Guardian, CNN, IMDB, or CNNSI.
  3. Points are awarded according to the following formula: the celebrity's age at the time of death subtracted from 100. For example, if the person you choose dies at the age of 67, you will earn 33 points.
  4. You earn 50 bonus points if the death occurs in such a way as to clearly prove the existence of God (for example, if some doofus dies from burns after trying to torch a church).
  5. You cannot choose anyone under the age of 18.
  6. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed, but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. For example, a shiv in the stomach counts, lethal injection does not.
  7. You are disqualified if you contribute in any way to the death of one of your chosen candidates. The one exception is if you are a police officer or member of the armed services and kill someone in the line of duty.
  8. All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 GMT on December 31st 2009. No entries will be accepted after this time. You may however make changes to your list up until this time, but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or you've put someone in twice.

There are also a couple of extraneous categories:

Inside Track with the Grim Reaper Award: person who picks the first death of 2010.

Quantity Not Quality Award: person who picks the most people who croak in 2010, regardless of their points value.

This is now the 7th time we have done this, and each time someone questions the merits of what we are doing. Please bear in mind:
  • This is only a game
  • These are not death "Wish Lists" - You choose who you think might die, not who you want to die.
  • The Circus is the place for games, not discussion, so debating the rights and wrongs of what we are doing should be done somewhere else.

Have fun, and remember to post your selection.

Imaginary Friend
Circus Host

P.S. Those of you who are eagle-eyed about the times posted might wonder what happens to someone who dies exactly on the stroke of midnight between 2009 and 2010. I say that's so unlikely that they should count for both years.

[ 12. July 2016, 12:14: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My list for this year is identical with last year as if I change a name the person I miss out will doubtless pop their clogs in the early hours of New Year's Day and I will be upset!

1. Murdoch of Twisted News Corp.

2. General Than Shwe, leader of the military government in Burma.

3. L K Advani - Indian politician and promoter of hatred and communal violence.

4. Thatcher, Margaret Hilda the truly appalling.

5. Jyoti Basu - Bengali communist politician and former Chief Minister.

6. Jean Marie LePen, French politician and promoter of hatred and communal violence.

7. Robert Mugabe, the ruination of Zimbabwe.

8. Bal Thackeray - another promoter of hatred and communal violence in India, and admirer of Hitler.

9. Pat Robertson - alleged Christian.

10. Ian Paisley - another alleged Christian and promoter of hatred and communal violence in Ireland this time.

11. John McCain - I reckon that the election campaign did nothing to add to his health.

12. Gerry Adams - just to be fair.

13. Philip Mountbatten, of Greece, Denmark and Britain, husband of "Brenda".

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
p.s. it is my considered opinion that it would be only fair to grant a 50 point head start to the first person to post their list.

[Cool]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
andythehat

Ship's Flying Monk
# 10399

- Posted      Profile for andythehat   Email andythehat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, first-time player. This could be interesting...

1. Margaret Thatcher, she of the Iron Handbag.
2. Amy Winehouse, drug-addled waste of space.
3. Cliff Richard, from the shock of not having a No1 this decade.
4. Robert Mugabe, Golden Asshat.
5. Gary Glitter, real name Paul Gadd, kiddy-fiddler extraordinaire.
6. Muhammed Ali, man who could punch a bit.
7. Fidel Castro, cigar afficionado.
8. Kim Jong-Il, North Korea's Glorious Leader.
9. Phil the Greek, otherwise known as the Duke of Edinburgh.
10. Pete Burns, ex-Dead or Alive singer and all round media whore.
11. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, Lockerbie bomber
12. Nelson Mandela, terrorist or freedom fighter?
13. Ronnie Biggs, Great Train Robber no longer sunning himself in Brazil.

Do I get a 25 point headstart for being second...?! [Snigger]

--------------------
Get your warm fuzzy feeling here!

Posts: 302 | From: Cambridge, but now Malmesbury, Wiltshire | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do realise that Cliff Richard is probably going to have a number 1 hit now, don't you? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
You do realise that Cliff Richard is probably going to have a number 1 hit now, don't you? [Disappointed]

A thought considerably sicker than the Death Pool...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right. We should cancel the whole show now in an attempt to undo this terrible thing. [Help] [Ultra confused] [Disappointed] [Waterworks]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is mostly not a wish-list:

1. Margaret, Baroness Thatcher
2. The Rev'd. Dr. Ian Paisley
3. HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
4. HM The Queen
5. His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
6. Fidel Castro
7. Kim Jong-Il
8. Nelson Mandela
9. Barack Obama
10. Amy Winehouse
11. Pete Doherty
12. Sir Terry Pratchett
13. Robert Mugabe (OK, he would be on a wish-list)

I expect that'll be the kiss of life for most of them ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Barack Obama (God forbid)
2. Bill Clinton
3. Jimmy Carter
4. Betty Ford
5. Nancy Reagan
6. Osama Bin Laden
7. Billy Graham
8. Oprah Winfrey
9. Michael J. Fox
10. Elizabeth Taylor
11. Aretha Franklin
12. Britney Spears
13. Woody Allen

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 Margaret Thatcher
2 Denis Healey
3 Prince Philip
4 June Whitfield
5 Clive Dunn (yes he is still alive)
6 Kylie Minogue
7 Bruce Forsyth
8 Ken Dodd
9 Ronnie Wood
10 Peter Sallis
11 Jimmy Saville
12 Robert Mugabe
13 Norman Wisdom

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
1 Margaret Thatcher
2 Denis Healey
3 Prince Philip
4 June Whitfield
5 Clive Dunn (yes he is still alive)
6 Kylie Minogue
7 Bruce Forsyth
8 Ken Dodd
9 Ronnie Wood
10 Peter Sallis
11 Jimmy Saville
12 Robert Mugabe
13 Norman Wisdom

Here Ken Dodd looks as if he died sometime ago and they just dug him up for the photoshoot!

That is one SCARY photo!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Here Ken Dodd looks as if he died sometime ago and they just dug him up for the photoshoot!

Which * of * them * doesn't?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

bonabri
Shipmate
# 304

- Posted      Profile for bonabri   Email bonabri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the Anglican Communion count as a nominee?
Posts: 274 | From: Brighton and Hove, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bonabri: Since the Anglican Communion is more than 100 years old, if it does "perish" [Roll Eyes] in this year, then you will be minus 21 points*. In my junior hosting opinion.

* from 1888, date of Chicago something-or-other.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Margaret Thatcher
2. Brad Pitt
3. Robert Mugabe
4. Nelson Mandela
5. Alex Ferguson
6. Prince Philip
7. Prince Harry
8. Amy Winehouse
9. Pope Benedict
10. Carla Bruni
11. Leonard Cohen
12. Archbishop Desmond Tutu
13. Daniel Radcliffe

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presenting for the 4th year running:

Death List for 2010

1. Earl Pulvermacher (aka Pius XIII) b. 1918
2. George H, Bush (Satan)
3. James Earl Carter
4. George W. Bush (Spawn of Satan)
5. Robert Mugabe
6. H.R.H The Prince Philip (just because)
7. HM the Queen (her kiss of life from her devoted subject)
8. Knowlton Nash (CBC News Presenter)
9. Margaret Hilda, Baroness Thatcher (the Bloody Baron – isn’t she dead yet?
10. Clifford Olson (May he get his wish and be released into the general Prison population)
11. Stephen Hawking (well he’s a medical miracle, he’s gotta go sometime!)
12.The Countess Mountbatten of Burma (she’s getting a little long in the tooth)
13. The Earl of Harewood (the Queen’s eldest cousin on her father’s side)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Billy Graham
2. Margaret Thatcher
3. HM Queen Elizabeth II
4. Billy Idol
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Osama Bin Laden
7. Rick Parfitt
8. Bernie Eccleston
9. Patrick Moore
10. Stephen Hawking
11. John McCain
12. Ian Paisley
13. Jimmy Saville

Substantially the same as last year. I mean how many years do I have to post them to score something.

Added Billy Idol, on the grounds that he also looks dead and pickled.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my 2010 list then:

1.Clare Balding
2.Seve Ballasteros
3.Pete Doherty
4.Dave Gahan
5.Jim Marshall
6.Marguerite Patten
7.Terry Pratchett
8.Phil Spector
9.Eric Sykes
10.Peter Tork
11.Robbie Williams
12.Amy Winehouse
13.Michael Winner

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

That is one SCARY photo!

Peter Stringfellow has been my walking corpse of choice for the last couple of years. I'd swear he's dead already and just hasn't stopped moving about.

(back with the rest of my selection later. This year I actually have some hits to replace [Snigger] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
...9. Michael J. Fox ...

I put him on and took him off again, Amanda B. - I decided that fifty-something points didn't justify the Tempting of Fate. Mind you, if I'd left him on, the Kiss of Life Situation might have kicked in ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm doing a theme team again this year. Sorry if some of my picks are a bit obscure. Hopefully the broadsheets will do them justice. [Roll Eyes]

1)Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria
2)Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria
3)Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil, Major Archbishop of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
4)His Holiness Patriarch Antonious, Primate of the Eritrean Orthodox Church
5)Bishop Richard Williamson
6)Patriarch Mesrob II, Mutafyan of Constantinople
7)Cardinal Paul Shan Kuo-hsi
8)The Rev Dr Edward Cornelis Florentius Alfonsus Schillebeeckx
9)Cahal Cardinal Daly
10)Archbishop Emeritus Lawrence Aloysius Burke of Kingston
11)The Rt Revd and Rt Hon. The Lord Habgood PC
12)Kevin McDonald, Archbishop of Southwark,
13) The Most Reverend and Most Holy Father, His Beatitude Ignatius IV, Patriarch of Antioch, the Great City of God, of Syria, Lebanon, Arabia, Cilicia, Mesopotamia and all the East

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How deliciously morbid. Here's mine:

• 1 Keith Richards (65)
  • 2 Elizabeth Taylor (77)
  • 3 Mike Tyson (43)
  • 4 Muhammed Ali (67)
  • 5 Jodie Marsh (30)
  • 6 Mickey Rourke (57)
  • 7 Anthony Dryden Marshall (85)
  • 8 Aretha Franklin (67)
  • 9 Ariel Sharon (81)
  • 10 Hugh Hefner (83)
  • 11 Ozzy Osbourne (61)
  • 12 Nelson Mandela (91)
  • 13 Kirk Douglas (93)

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Fidel Castro
2. Nelson Mandela
3. Helmut Schmidt (over 90 and still chain-smoking)
4. The Duke of Edinburgh
5. Frederik Willem de Klerk
6. Pope Shenouda
7. Michael Schumacher (one tree must be in the way one day)
8. Alexander Huber (I hope to be wrong but someone doing
this regularly has to be a candidate)
9. Valérie Giscard d'Estaing
10. Viktor Kortschnoij (chess player)
11. Ottmar Walter (Football World Cup winner 1954)
12. Tommy Gemmell (Lisbon Lion)
13. Silvio Berlusconi

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the reported death of S.S. Pope Pius XIII last St Andrew's day, I would like to substitute Billy Graham, if the anti-pope's death can be substantiated.

Ta muchly.

[ 10. December 2009, 14:44: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Bob Dylan
2) Jack Nicholson
3) Pope Benedict
4) David Letterman
5) Miley Cyrus
6) Muhammed Ali
7) Rod Stewart
8) Bill Wyman
9) Tony Blair
10) George Bush (Snr)
11) Neil Kinnock
12) Britney Spears
13) Katie Price (aka Jordan)

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Miley Cyrus eighteen yet?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Nope. November 23, 1992.

These hellhosts! [Disappointed]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Given the reported death of S.S. Pope Pius XIII last St Andrew's day, I would like to substitute Billy Graham, if the anti-pope's death can be substantiated.

Ta muchly.

Pulvermacher's death confirmed. Live long and well, Billy Graham!

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I select people in a so called 'radio soap' in the UK? I am a member of a group who understands that The Archers is an account of a real, unholy and murderous community in the U.K. I want to select those members who are most annoying...the Vicar and his Hindu wife, the evil Vet and his even more wicked wife,their Demon child, the man currently in custody and his bitch wife, the Jail Bird Post Mistress...
I could go on, but I need a bit of a lie down.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone mulling over there list might want to consider some advice from a previous winner. Age is no reliable guide to chance of death. The year I picked the 13 oldest people in the world (all aged 108+), 8 of them survived. Dodgy lifestyle is also unreliable, some people chainsmoke for years without keeling over. The best indicator is ill health, particularly cancer.

Phrases in the media give an indication. "At death's door" means they were very ill but are getting better, while "seriously ill" and especially "gravely ill" usually mean not long to go.

Picking a "Stephen Gately" i.e. young'un to earn big points is like buying a lottery ticket, very unlikely to gain. I find popstars in their 60s are a more reliable pick.

Finally, leave your posting late. Wait for the other Shippies to put their lists up, check through them for the 13 most ill and post it up on New Years Eve. These guidelines should see you alright.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
...9. Michael J. Fox ...

I put him on and took him off again, Amanda B. - I decided that fifty-something points didn't justify the Tempting of Fate. Mind you, if I'd left him on, the Kiss of Life Situation might have kicked in ... [Ultra confused]
I expect he'll survive (and hope he does, if that's his wish). Surely he's getting the best of medical care. After all, Katharine Hepburn outlived all predictions of (and hopes for) her demise until she felt she was good and ready!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
Anyone mulling over there list might want to consider some advice from a previous winner.
<snip> Dodgy lifestyle is ... unreliable, some people chainsmoke for years without keeling over. The best indicator is ill health, particularly cancer.

Phrases in the media give an indication. "At death's door" means they were very ill but are getting better, while "seriously ill" and especially "gravely ill" usually mean not long to go.

<snip>

Finally, leave your posting late. Wait for the other Shippies to put their lists up, check through them for the 13 most ill and post it up on New Years Eve. These guidelines should see you alright.

This is more or less what I did this year.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
Can I select people in a so called 'radio soap' in the UK? I am a member of a group who understands that The Archers is an account of a real, unholy and murderous community in the U.K. I want to select those members who are most annoying...the Vicar and his Hindu wife, the evil Vet and his even more wicked wife,their Demon child, the man currently in custody and his bitch wife, the Jail Bird Post Mistress...
I could go on, but I need a bit of a lie down.

[irrelevant aside] I gave up on the whole village a few years ago after Roooth groped yet another farmhand - hopefully it is David who is now in custody - may he be committed to Rampton for eternity! But why can't she go too? Committing The Village Bicycle wouldn't be such a bad idea either.[/irrelevant aside]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1/ Elizabeth Windsor
2/ Joseph Ratzinger
3/ Margaret Thatcher
4/ Nelson Mandela
5/ Fidel Castro
6/ Osama Bin Laden
7/ Ariel Sharon
8/ Paul Gasgoine
9/ Diego Maradona
10/ Jesse Ventura
11/ Binyamin Netanyahu
12/ Philip Windsor
13/ Pete Doherty

I was about to post something facile about breaking my duck but there are thirteen people with family and friends who would be very happy for me to retain my 'nul points' status.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Oprah Winfrey
2. Michael J. Fox
3. Woody Allen
4. Amy Winehouse
5. Stephen Hawking
6. Muhammed Ali
7. Hugh Hefner
8. Ozzy Ozbourne
9. Rod Steward
10. Elton John
11. "Lady" GaGa
12. Pat Robertson
13. Maestro James Levine

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've usually waited until the last minute, but then I risk running afoul of the PST-GMT time difference, so:

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
2. Ernest Borgnine
3. Peter Tork
4. Fidel Castro
5. Margaret Thatcher
6. Dennis Hopper
7. Bill Wyman
8. Amy Winehouse
9. Robert Mugabe
10. Andrew Lloyd Webber
11. Doris Lessing
12. Peter Falk
13. James Garner

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these are "kiss of life" situations; others, well, I think we all hope to boost my point count.

1. President Obama--the man is a target and there are people with weapons who don't like him, after all.
2. The Duke of Edinburgh--He's how old? Low point value, sure, but it's a lock.
3. Kim Jong-Il--Shouldn't be on this list. Shoulda bit it in oh-eight.
4. Fidel Castro--See above.
5. Keith Richards--What the @#$%???? The Stoneds are still alive? And still touring????? This year, we find out the truth: someone's put anamatronic controls in their drug-bloated corpses.
6. Mick Jagger--See above.
7. Marion Barry--Everyone's Favorite "Moral Politician" gets term-limited by God. B#$% set him up.
8. Mir Houssein Moussavi--So only official executions are forbidden in this game? He's gonna disappear in the middle of the night, get caught in "accidental" crossfire, etc. Might not even make it 'til this game starts in January.
9. Hamid Karzai--Go buy a newspaper.
10. Robert Mugabe--Can't come soon enough.
11. Nancy Pelosi--Angry people with guns decide to bring about the Revolution Timothy McVeigh style.
12. Felipe Calderon--Again, buy a newspaper. Bad things happen to those who act like law and order might be a good idea in Mexico.
13. Philip Glass--Seriously, you're that old and tomcatting around on Wife #4 with some hot 'cellist? Karma's Gonna Getcha.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Gough Whitlam, sad

2. Henry Kissinger, inevitable

3. Benedict XVI, scary (and inevitable)

4. Valentino Rossi, living dangerously

5. Hillary Clinton, prominent American and a woman; she is a double target

6. Dali Lama, inevitable and repeated

7. Joe Tripodi, very well fed

8. Joe Biden, just unlucky

9. Phillip Adams, lungs

10. Peter Jensen, last seen having a stroke

11. Robert Mugabe, deservingly

12. Hugo Chavez, more instability for uncertainty

13. Marcia Hines, Australian TV would use this as the saddest thing of the year

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry,for Phillip Adams it should have been, 'lungs ( sad and a great loss )'

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A change of strategy from last year. I removed everyone from last year's list who was over the age of 70, and looked for replacements who were younger, and who had health problems (mostly cancer)

Stephen Hawking 68
Muhammad Ali 68
Peter Tork 67
Terry Pratchett 62
Elizabeth Edwards 61
Steve Jobs 55
Hamid Karzai 53
Scott Hamilton 52
Michael J. Fox 49
Mike Tyson 44
Pete Doherty 31
Amy Winehouse 27
Lady Gaga 24

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, so I felt a tiny bit guilty over Jade last year.... but here goes:

1. The Pope
2. Ian Paisley
3. Liz Taylor
4. Maggie Thatcher
5. Bishop Akinola
6. Kim Jong Il
7. HH Dalai Lama (does it count when they are re-born?)
8. Eamon Holmes
9. Brian Friel
and last but not least........
10. Graham Kendrick

[Two face]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
...Lady Gaga 24

Good grief, I could have sworn Margaret Thatcher was older than that.

Fletcher Christian, you only chose 10 not 13, which could seriously impede your potential point scoring.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
woops, thought it was only 10. Ok here goes then
1. The Pope
2. Ian Paisley
3. Liz Taylor
4. Maggie Thatcher
5. Bishop Akinola
6. Kim Jong Il
7. HH Dalai Lama (does it count when they are re-born?)
8. Eamon Holmes
9. Brian Friel
10. Paris Hilton
11. Dan Brown
12. Bishop david Jenkins
and last but not least........
13. Graham Kendrick

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presenting my 2010 list..

1. Fidel Castro
2. Lesley Phillips
3. Amy Winehouse
4. Nelson Mandela
5. Ariel Sharon
6. Norman Wisdom
7. Billy Graham
8. Mariah Carey
9. Muhammad Ali
10. Pete Doherty
11. Robert Mugabe
12. George Bush Snr
13. Maggie Thatcher

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Courtney Love
2. Amy Winehouse
3. Barry Manilow
4. Susan Powter
5. Gary Coleman
6. Helen Hunter
7. Nena, the German singer
8. Mariah Carey
9. Perez Hilton
10. Matt Drudge
11. Faith Hill
12. Johnny Rotten
13. Rosanne Barr

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I got one right this year, so I need to think up another person.

1. QE II
  2. Malcolm Fraser
  3. Gough Whitlam
  4. George Bush Jnr
  5. Delta Goodram
  6. Elton John
  7. Julie Andrews
  8. Billy Graham
  9. Richard Branson
  10. Will Smith
  11. Margaret Thatcher
  12. Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin
  13. John Cleese

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
&aelig; = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just one change from last year......

1 - Billy Graham
2 - Ringo Starr
3 - Nelson Mandela
4 - Margaret Thatcher
5 - Prince Philip
6 - Fran Cotton
7 - Charlie Watts
8 - Cliff Richard
9 - Richard Briers
10 - John Bardon
11 - Betty Driver
12 - Peter Sallis
13 - Niki Lauda

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Margaret Thatcher
2. Prince Philip
3. Bruce Forsyth
4. Clive Dunn
5. Maya Angelou
6. Olivia Newton-John
7. Antony Worrall Thompson
8. Dave Swarbrick
9. Hank Marvin
10. Ozzy Osbourne
11. Raymond Briggs
12. Rick Wakeman
13. Shirley Williams

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Light User:

Fr. Ted obiit December 23,2009

pick another theologian!

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Light User:

Fr. Ted obiit December 23,2009

pick another theologian!

at 95 years.

That's 5 points to Light User for this year, though.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016