homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When...
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
* When you start to remember at least as many words in fictional languages as you do in various real ones ("batleth", "flay-rah", "emmide", "silmaril"...)

* When you look at the waistband of your underwear, at the "FTL" on the tag, and the phrase "Fruit Of The Loom" never enters your mind -- you always, every time, automatically, think "Faster Than Light"!

so says Janine, owner of Faster Than Light panties...

"palantir"... "pon far"... "mahendo'sat"...

[ 29. August 2005, 15:44: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whew! I thought *I* was the only one who thought of hyperspeed undies during Laundry Day.

You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When:
  • When you watch sf movies/tv shows, you automatically know which aliens are friendly and which are invaders.
  • If an alien saucer zipped down in front of you and the pilot offered to take you on an inter-galactic odyssey, the first word out of your mouth would be, "Cool!"
  • You've thought space travel is wasted on astronauts.
  • You can barely contain your frustration during movies/tv shows showing human-alien negotiation/interaction because the humans act like morons.
  • You can't understand why you're dateless--again--on a Saturday night vis-a-vis human women when Capt. Kirk scored with an alien babe every week.
  • You secretly yearn for a hand-held particle beam weapon. Lasers are for wussies.
  • You'd rather live on Deep Space 9 than where you do now.
  • Piloting a starship--how hard could it be?
  • Aliens are idiots; they're always appearing to lonely farmers, never to someone who could really appreciate them--you.
  • You've noticed people in sf movies/tv shows never have to go to the bathroom.
  • If you're male, as a boy you secretly prayed for Lt. Uhura to bend over to pick up a dropped paperclip.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
[*]You'd rather live on Deep Space 9 than where you do now.

Even under the Cardassians? (If yes, you've really got it bad).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
[...] so says Janine, owner of Faster Than Light panties...

Do those take advantage of worm holes or some sort of jump drive?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

HopPik
Shipmate
# 8510

- Posted      Profile for HopPik     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:

Neither... they take advantage of data transfer on the sub-ether net.

--------------------
Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and supposedly the pig enjoys it. G.B. Shaw

Posts: 2084 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
orinocco
Shipmate
# 5083

- Posted      Profile for orinocco   Author's homepage   Email orinocco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you've worked out how the elvish runes correpond to the Latin alaphabet and tried to translate anything in Tolkein that is written in runes.

--------------------
overground, underground, wombling free

My Live Journal

Posts: 364 | From: The birthplace of St. George (allegedly) | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You were a member of the Tolkein Club in junior high (in which everyone took a name from the books) and you got a valentine from another member and the valentine used runes from the books and you could read the valentine without looking up anything in the books--but it didn't get through your thick skull at the time that what it all meant was that the sender of the valentine liked you. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, Ruth, it's no good unless you spell Tolkien correctly. [Big Grin]

I'm out of the loop on recent Star Trek reiterations, but I do know a shocking amount of Tolkien geekery. I think "Remmirath" when I see the Pleiades and "Menelvagor the hunter" for Orion.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopPik:
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:

Neither... they take advantage of data transfer on the sub-ether net.
I thought each was its own 'specially-created mini-universe, being so speedy simply by being everywhere at once.

Some days I certainly feel as if my backside is that vast.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orinocco:
When you've worked out how the elvish runes correpond to the Latin alaphabet and tried to translate anything in Tolkein that is written in runes.

Or Feanorian script!

My last name makes a lovely glyph, by the way!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

... When your first ever fan letter, and the only one you've ever felt compelled to write to an actor, was to Roddy MacDowell for his work with the Planet of the Apes movies and TV series.

--------------------

tej
Shipmate
# 7913

- Posted      Profile for tej   Email tej   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you realize that most of the stuff in the orginal Star Trek we have right now.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 80 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wandering Crucifer
Shipmate
# 7497

- Posted      Profile for Wandering Crucifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you've gone overboard with the sci-fi and fantasy when...

• A single word, used in an innocent context, can bring to mind some quote from Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams,
  • You can start quoting the Hitchhiker's Radio Series from the beginning and keep going for several minutes, even pronouncing words in the same way as the actors,
  • You are a member of a fan club, and
  • You use a quote from Douglas Adams as your .sig.

--------------------
There is no end to the writing of books, and too much study will wear you out.
(Ecclesiastes 12:12, GNB)

Posts: 259 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
You were a member of the Tolkein Club in junior high (in which everyone took a name from the books)

The Blakes' Seven Fan Club, actually. [Roll Eyes] But I can still write in runes.
DarkEnergy
Shipmate
# 9096

- Posted      Profile for DarkEnergy   Email DarkEnergy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you have gone too far with SF&F when

You have 10 times more SF&F books on your shelves than you have Christian books (including all the books in the bible)

You have read all the above books more than once and your 'theologically sound' christian books have only been read the once and will only be ever read the once!

You can quote SF&F books more easily than the bible.

You like the idea of real dragons, hand and a half bastard swords, impaling, beheading and burning your enemies.

And finally your fondest memories of fellowship with other christians at university involved two weeks solid role playing and your characters were Benny the Bastard and Baldric the Buggerer.
[Snigger]
I am sure that Karl the Backslider and Alaric can add more.

--------------------
OUCH! GP pulled out my toenail, who says men don't know how painful childbirth is!!!

Posts: 59 | From: Rugby | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you've gone too far when ...

... you know which season of Voyager you're watching by what Capt. Janeway's hairstyle is like.

... you open your wardrobe door and out falls the replica of Dr Who's scarf your aunt knitted for you thirty years ago!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Garfield
Ship's cat
# 1567

- Posted      Profile for Garfield   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...you want to hit the uneducated moron who just mentioned 'proton' torpedoes...

...you know under which fingernail Data keeps his emotion chip...

...you can watch LotR films without the elfin-english subtitles...or not watch LotR films because they're nothing like the original books...

[typo]

[ 27. February 2005, 15:38: Message edited by: Garfield ]

--------------------
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"
Faithless (the group, not my disposition)

Posts: 375 | From: Devon or Cardiff | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
when you don't immediately rule out giving your child a name from LOTR

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you know with absolute certainty that The Empire would kick The Federation's ass any day of the week.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
When you know with absolute certainty that The Empire would kick The Federation's ass any day of the week.

But neither would stand a chance against The Culture.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm personally waiting for the great Empire vs Borg bout.

By the way, Janine, I never doubted for a second your panties were faster than light. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkEnergy:
You know you have gone too far with SF&F when:

You like the idea of real dragons, hand and a half bastard swords, impaling, beheading and burning your enemies.

Oh, the joys!

[Overused]

x

AV

[ 27. February 2005, 16:56: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'm personally waiting for the great Empire vs Borg bout.

The Empire would murder them. No contest.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belfry Bat
Apprentice
# 9000

- Posted      Profile for Belfry Bat   Email Belfry Bat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you've gone overboard when:

You find yourself shouting in the cinema during LoTR
part 1 " What is Arwen doing on Glorfindel's horse"?

You've translated the runes and learned whole swathes of sindarin etc.

You've read LoTR at least 3 times every year for .....years.

You're also addicted to Eddings, McCaffery, Moorcock and Pratchett.

You know the answer's 42.

You're a hopeless Trekkie.

and I own and wear a Dr Who scarf - Tom Baker
style.
I guess I'm just hopeless [Help]

--------------------
Look to, Treble's going, she's gone!

Posts: 13 | From: Sussex by the sea | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you find yourself swearing using made-for-tv swear words ("What the crak do you mean Smeghead? Cruk off!")

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You go to your local Leather Crafter with pictures off the net of the latest Star wars characters and ask for "Three belt pouches exactly like the ones on this Imperial Guard please."

P (true story)

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You choose as an avatar some character from an obscure, 50's Sci-Fi movie.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean "obscure", Gort? TDTESS is a classic, the standard by which all following SF is measured.

Klaatu barada nichto.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You correct Campellite's spelling of "nikto."

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe he was speaking like a Scottish klingon.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

You've always wondered how the order, "Pick me up and put me in the ship, then go and retrieve Klaatu and return him to the ship"...was condensed into "Klaatu barada nikto"! [Confused]

--------------------

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You dress your new baby in a tiny Starfleet uniform for his hospital photo.

(not me, I swear! Our baby had his own varsity sweater)

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tera'nganbej neH jIH 'ach 'e' vIQIjlaH

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

...When some of your fondest most vivid early childhood memories involve watching the Sunday Morning Movie before Mass, at which time was always featured space aliens invading or mutating escaped lab creatures or ghoulish graverobbing.

I mean, Channel 8 out of New Orleans featured that stuff in the movie timeslot. I didn't see Godzilla or any Triffids at Mass.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:

You keep your accidental frog where!!????

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I didn't see Godzilla or any Triffids at Mass.

More's the pity, I'm sure the RCC could get some converts that way. [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kiwigoldfish:
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:

You keep your accidental frog where!!????
Hegh Hutlh quv pemHov poS SuD baS bIQ Ha'DIbaH!

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
You were a member of the Tolkein Club in junior high (in which everyone took a name from the books) and you got a valentine from another member and the valentine used runes from the books and you could read the valentine without looking up anything in the books--but it didn't get through your thick skull at the time that what it all meant was that the sender of the valentine liked you. [Hot and Hormonal]

Oh my God. This is EXACTLY how it happened. I was on the other side of the transaction. Ermm, and don't bet on the sender actually realising that's what it meant either. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You used to write letters to your boyfriend in runes.

Your best friend at school had the nickname 'Bilbo' and you were called 'Frodo'.

[ 28. February 2005, 05:30: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

How about when you can quote dialog from a cartoon insectoid alien invader to use as your sig.?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... you treat yourself to the Doctor Who Book of Trivial Facts and discover you already know more of them than you ought to.

... you wonder about day to day life and what Tom Bombadil really does all day; if you'd have trouble finding the bathroom in the Tardis, and if they have a rota for cooking the meals on board the Liberator. If so, what would Avon cook?

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You find yourself musing that getting used to a new vicar is a bit like getting used to a new Dr Who ... [Roll Eyes]

Friends in our church have given their children names from SF/Fantasy, but very normal ones - Torin and Logan. However, the guy did accidentally (honestly) wear a Borg T-shirt to his civil marriage service. It read 'You will be assimilated'. Since he'd held out against getting married for 13 years, this was considered the joke of the season.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you find yourself thinking 'What would Granny Weatherwax do?'...
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided that when I am old I will be like Granny Weatherwax about half the time, and Nanny the other half-ish. But so as to add a little spice to the mix, I shan't tell anyone which one I am, and I might just slip in a bit of Goodie Whemper or Old Mother Dismass.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, dear.
Part of the time I think I am Magrat Garlick.
And I own a hand and a half bastard sword - and chainmail - and a Norman helmet....
And I can swear in Klingon.
And I've written poems in Elvish.
And I once convinced a friend that fire lizards really exist in this world for a full five minutes!
I know which episode of Classic Trek the 30 second security guard appears in, too, and how to use an ahn woon, and if someone were to yell "Kroykah!" at me, I'd freeze.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-When you try to explain the concept of the Holy Spirit to your 6 year old and begin by saying, "You know how a Jedi can use the power of the Force...?"

-When you have an Empowered Woman from a fantasy series as your (exciting new!) avatar and a quote from an Empowered Woman from a sci-fi movie as your sig line.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems a bit tame to say, "When you persuade your daughter to read sci-fi/fantasy so you can 'give' her scads of books, thus freeing up your own shelves..."

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
What do you mean "obscure", Gort? TDTESS is a classic, the standard by which all following SF is measured.

"Michael Rennie was ill,
the day the Earth stood still,
but he told us where we stand..."

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... when one shoulder tattoo is Darth Vader and the other one is "May The Force Be With You" in Imperial code (my elder son).
... when you watch ANH just to see a Stormtrooper bang his head on a door and to see an Imperial informer unwittingly bend his rubber nose.
... when you get more angry with Lucas for Phantom Menace than with the government for taxes.
... when you wish Brain Aldiss was one of your drinking mates.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016