homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Liturgy of Christian Unrest (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Liturgy of Christian Unrest
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Posted to MW and SF]

Simon and I recently had lunch, and over coffee discussed the idea of Ship-of-Fools writing it's own Liturgy; a Liturgy of Christian Unrest.

This is a follow on from the recent txt message competition and How Great Thou Aren't; the idea being to produce a set of prayers that reflect the reality of our lives, and the nature of Christian Unrest.

The aim would be to produce Ship of Fools very own Office. A typical formulation could be:

Preparation
Greeting
A Prayer of Preparation / Confession
A Collect of Christian Unrest

Liturgy of the Word
An Expression of Faith
Space for Readings
Psalms (perhaps our own "translation")
A meditation / canticle (perhaps our own "translation")

Prayers
Intercessions and Thanksgivings
The Lords Prayer (perhaps our own "translation")

Conclusion
Dismissal

That isn't really a lot of work, and I'm sure that the SoF has many fine budding liturgists on its MW, SF and main boards. In time we would hope to have enough material to produce variations for different days of the week; different collects, meditations, or canticles.

Simon says:

quote:
The idea is to start developing worship resources which give expression to Christian unrest... the kind of prayers you might expect to find on Ship of Fools. Edward suggested (only half-jokingly, I think) a dismissal prayer of: "Now get us off our arses to actually do something."
Providing an online daily office of our own really appeals. We could also develop our own lectionary, too, to run in parallel with the western lectionary... I'm sure we could fairly easily put together 52 weekly readings on foolishness in the Bible, for example.

So would people here be interested in contributing to the project on this thread?

[ 10. March 2003, 01:47: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I have a gut feeling that this request will be more successful at Small Fire ie. I don't think such an office will lend itself to absurd amounts of exalted tat. (That which is necessary to lure your average MW devotee out of hiding).

And even if there was the promise of an orgiastic tat festival, well, it still wouldn't be, you know, the real thing.

So actually, help a dense little coot out, is the object to create a humorous and make-believe 'office' (in which case you're in with a chance) or um, is it, oof! I can't bring myself to say it.

(Repeats in the manner of a Litany: Gregory of Nyssa Gregory of Nyssa)

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As my good friend Fr.Tony(RC) recently reminded me being "catholic" isn't about what you wear or what you do, but about a living tradition of spirituality. I would expect that a "catholic" of any sort is likely to keep a daily office, especially those in the Priesthood.

I accompany my office with incense and icons if at home. If I am in town I may well visit LSM and pray some devotions to Mary, if near my church I will go into the chapel where we reserve the most holy sacrament, genuflect (of course) and say my office.

Take the tat, the ceremony, and the processions, but do not take away from me what truly makes me "catholic".

Before I get this thread sent to Hell perhaps we ought to think about the sort of office that would be a Liturgy of Christian unrest.

For ideas why not have a look a oremus to give you a starting place.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[If I can make a quick response without getting us sent to purgatory: my idea of a catholic spirituality involves continuity of worship eg. the orthodox concept of continuity of worship. ie. they still faithfully use the Liturgy of St John Chysostom]

But it was a real question - I genuinely was unsure as to whether the idea of a Ship of Fools liturgy was a joke idea or not. Ahem. Your response leads me to conclude it is serious - but even this I can't reconcile with a dismissal prayer of: "Now get us off our arses to actually do something."

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Sorry got carried away before...

quote:
Originally posted by The Happy Coot:
So actually, help a dense little coot out, is the object to create a humorous and make-believe 'office' (in which case you're in with a chance) or um, is it, oof! I can't bring myself to say it.

(Repeats in the manner of a Litany: Gregory of Nyssa Gregory of Nyssa)

Well, think about the SoF. It is kind of funny, but also very serious. Something serious enough to use at a meet, but with a sharp edge to it ...

Is that clearer ... perhaps not ...

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
[If I can make a quick response without getting us sent to purgatory: my idea of a catholic spirituality involves continuity of worship eg. the orthodox concept of continuity of worship. ie. they still faithfully use the Liturgy of St John Chysostom]

I think the term "Living Tradition" sums up my approach. I would expect the SoF liturgy to include elements of tradition, but also new content that followed a Liturgical form. Common Worship has adopted this approach I feel. New Liturgies in this form have been created by various neo-monastic communities, such as Northumbria and Iona.

quote:
But it was a real question - I genuinely was unsure as to whether the idea of a Ship of Fools liturgy was a joke idea or not. Ahem. Your response leads me to conclude it is serious - but even this I can't reconcile with a dismissal prayer of: "Now get us off our arses to actually do something."

Well the dismissal prayer is a Joke in my mind, but represents a tradition of dismissals that can be seen in the following Post-Communion prayer

quote:
Almighty God,
we thank you for feeding us
with the body and blood of your Son Jesus Christ.
Through him we offer you our souls and bodies
to be a living sacrifice.
Send us out
in the power of your Spirit
to live and work
to your praise and glory.
Amen.

In short ... get off our arses.

I think Simon and I were hoping for something usable but unusual.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found that when I have been worshipping in a tradition that is not my own things surprise me, and cause me to think. When the NT was published in Scots I found the Lord's Prayer to be very challenging, and very fresh.

Is there a way of creating a new liturgy that would make others think a bit deeper, or surprise them. Some people need to pray that God would get them off their arses and start doing things. Others will heed "Go into the world, and be an example of compassion and justice as Christ was."

Can you think of something that is meaningful to you, that might aid another?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Well the answer is no. Are there really no liturgists on MW? Do with love Liturgy, or just one Liturgy?

One of the elements of the SoF Office would be a Expression of Faith. Should we use a creed, or something like this from the northumbria community?

I am rather fond of the Tirechans Creed. How do other people feel?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up for it, Tedward. Count me in.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Hm. S3, I just checked the Small Fire version of the thread... I think you minced up the 'dispute' a bit. It wasn't a dispute! It was me trying to establish the exact nature of the beast; and gently and jokingly conveying my suspicions that MWers would be a bit reserved in partaking.

Modern thematic liturgy doesn't turn me on. In fact. I hate it. However. The Ship is such a cool place that I feel obliged to offer some sort of support - if only feedback or my prayers that you will create something that others will find edifying.

The Coot,
Who says what others only think.

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Who says what others only think.

Me 2.

Sorry for mincing. I find its the only way to swing (a thurible).

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What level (high, motr, low) is being aimed at?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

well being an office it should be fairly broad in its appeal. I know some low types don't use complin and such, but i generally find a variety of churchmanships can sit and share a basic liturgy fairly well.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:
well being an office it should be fairly broad in its appeal. <snip> I generally find a variety of churchmanships can sit and share a basic liturgy fairly well.

It seems to me that before writing a listurgy [sic :-)], we need to do some work of discernment. Are we being called by God to pray together as a group? About what? Is this calling one that needs to be answered with collective and corporate prayer? If so, are there already existing forms which will serve to allow us to answer the call?

I'm suggesting here that creating a liturgical form divorced from a community need to pray it may be rather an empty exercise. It might have modest virtues as an aesthetic work or as a didactic device, but it's not likely something that will be of much help to building the body and supporting our prayer.

Please don't consider this cold water, however. We may well indeed be called to pray together in someway - but we first need to determine if we are called to journey together to a particular destination before making travel plans and building a vehicle.

Cheers from Boston - Joan Rasch

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Joan the SoF is an online community. We live, laugh and suffer together. We are united by the sense of unrest we feel.

Liturgy should flow like water from that interaction.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:
Joan the SoF is an online community. We live, laugh and suffer together. We are united by the sense of unrest we feel.

Liturgy should flow like water from that interaction.

I completely agree - but we still need to do the work of discernment. If we are indeed "united by the sense of unrest we feel", we still need to work together to articulate the content of that 'unrest' and hear how God might be calling us to respond. I will confess to being a relative newbie here, but I'm not yet clear in my mind on either the content or the calling.

But I do look forward to doing this work if others are so inclined.

Cheers from Boston - Joan Rasch

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To match the tone of the dismissal, a greeting of "Ready or not ... The Lord is with us"

More seriously and because I feel that a general confession taken at breakneck speed and an absolution which follows hard on the heels smacks of "let's get this out of the way and not associate it with our lives as we lead them": a confession

"Lord, we have said too much and said too little." (pause to reflect on insensitive remarks and lack of comfort/encouraging remarks)

"Lord, we have done too much and done too little." (pause to reflect on being too busy and procrastinating)

"Lord, we have prayed too much and prayed too little." (pause to reflect on praying to change the order of things to suit ourselves and ignoring real injustice)

"Lord, we have thought too much and thought too little." (pause to reflect on hair-splitting and prejudice)

"Lord, we have loved too much and loved too little." (pause to reflect on infatuation or smother-love and ignoring those who don't interest you)

(it needs a conclusion, anyone?)

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Brilliant Ann.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
(it needs a conclusion, anyone?)

how about:

Lord, we have confessed too much, and confessed too little. Enough already.

The Lord forgives (we hope). Any guilt you still have is your own problem. Move on.

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Posts: 992 | From: sunny scarborough, uk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like that. Sounds far too much like "Hitchhikers guid to the galaxy". It is too dismissive and abrupt.

The Lord forgives; never too much, never too little. In the Lord there is perfection and peace. Be still and receive the forgiveness and peace of the Lord.

bb

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: babybear ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hmm. not sure that's restless enough for me. we get told stuff like that all the time in church. exactly what does it mean? why should i accept it?

(and what is this website's obsession with the hitchhikers guide? it's a good radio program and book which gradually ended up as a series of poor sequels. get over it people)

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Posts: 992 | From: sunny scarborough, uk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Combine them:

[add this to the end of Ann's contribution]
Lord, we have confessed too much, and confessed too little. (reflect on the minor transgressions that you've blown up so that they obscure the major transgressions.)

[use this as a bridge]
Lord, You know all that is said and unsaid,
done and undone,
prayed for and unprayed for,
thought and ignored,
loved and unloved,
confessed and hidden.

[end with BabyBear's contribuation]
The Lord forgives; never too much, never too little. In the Lord there is perfection and peace. Be still and recieve the forgiveness and peace of the Lord.

--------------------
Siegfried

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is just wonderful

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Works for me. Thanks Siegfried.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant, Siegfried!
Thanks....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

I think that I might well print that off tonight and use it just before bed.

bb

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit to using Compline before bed.I'm a fan of the opening lines of Ps 91

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Thanks folks, but I didn't really do anything other than put your pieces together!
That, and I misspelled 'receive' in the last line!!

Sieg

babybear
# 34

Lord, we have said too much and said too little.
(pause to reflect on insensitive remarks and lack of comfort/encouraging remarks)

Lord, we have done too much and done too little.
(pause to reflect on being too busy and procrastinating)

Lord, we have prayed too much and prayed too little.
(pause to reflect on praying to change the order of things to suit ourselves and ignoring real injustice)

Lord, we have thought too much and thought too little.
(pause to reflect on hair-splitting and prejudice)

Lord, we have loved too much and loved too little.
(pause to reflect on infatuation or smother-love and ignoring those who don't interest you)

Lord, we have confessed too much, and confessed too little.
(reflect on the minor transgressions that you've blown up so that they obscure the major transgressions.)

Lord,
You know all that is said and unsaid,
done and undone,
thought and ignored,
loved and unloved,
confessed and hidden.

The Lord forgives; never too much,
never too little.
In the Lord there is perfection and peace.
Be still and receive the forgiveness and peace of the Lord.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Thanks for posting the compiled version.

I typed it up and have it stuck to the wall in my cube at the moment.

--------------------
Siegfried

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks guys - I really like that confession and absolution

Will try and work on a Collect of Unrest while I'm on holiday

For a psalm - how about Fiona-Jane's version of Psalm 34 (I can provide a copy if required)

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

Where is FJ's Psalm? If it is something that she wrote 'off-ship' then we need to ask for her permission to use it. If it was written 'on-board' then it would be polite to ask for it to be included.

Since Tony is currently unemployed I commission him to contact FJ about the psalm.

bb

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bb - FJ contacted as ordered, o great one

She originally posted it on the Ship in 1999, and gave me permission to use it, provided I named her as the author - but I have referred her to this thread

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Fudge

Pictish free citizen
# 425

- Posted      Profile for Fudge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tony, and all, I have given permission. My version of Psalm 34 was written in the beginning of me having a nervous breakdown because of being bullied at work and more or less being forced out of the job because no-one would stand up to the bully.

Also had to face up to lots of unresolved problems and unconfessed sins. Funny, had a terrible week this week in a job that I love and there are only decent workmates. The management are a bit hypersenstive and I really stood on someone's toes this week and was terrified that I might get sacked. All the old paranoia was back and the devil was laughing at me again.

this time it wasn't the shipmates who rallied round, cos I haven't been on the boards lately, but my non-xtian workmates! God used them to show me that there is no way I'm going to lose this job cos He put me in it, and I just gotta stop and trust!

So it's a Psalm written out of unrest, just like David did. I had my own "Saul" to be frightened of, and that which I wrote was the result.

If it helps, have it. I've lost my copy so I'd appreciate the chance to retrieve it from Tony to go on my poems page on my own website at Fudge's marshmallow World

FJ (managers!?)

--------------------
Stay me flagons ... or maybe tappit hens.

Posts: 347 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

... and here it is....

Psalm 34, or otherwise

I cried unto the Lord and He heard me,
And sent me the love of all my dear friends,
The Angel of the Lord encamps round about them that fear Him,
And creates a shield from the prayers of those closest to me.

Such kindness and friendship in a wicked world,
Was indeed a treasure to discover.
An oasis in the boiling seas of life,
Where all my shipmates came to gather round me.
I had not thought such love
Still existed in this fast decaying time,
But you all care more than any
A balm to a troubled spirit and frightened heart.
Reminded me who holds the chart,
Who the pilot of my ship is,
Who has the answers and listens when I scream and stamp.
Who puts the sun behind the clouds
To burst through a billion times brighter
When the storm passes.

My guardian angels were the hearts of my friends,
There in the time of need,
Let me praise you and the Captain,
Whose sons and daughters we all are,
For giving such clear assurance,
He's still in charge.
----------------------------
Land ahoy, me lads,
The Journey won't be much longer,
Press on towards the shore,
To gain an eternal harbour secure.

Author: Fiona-Jane Brown, SoF

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Thank you everybody for the contributions so far. They are brilliant.

It's great to see something like this grow.

What directin do you think we should go with as an expression of faith. Should we go for a creed or something else?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Sorry to double post, but the expressions of faith found here may help us think.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

babybear
# 34

I have just shown the bit that we have done to a friend. She was very impressed and asked to use it in a service.

bb

babybear
# 34

I suggest that the next task be a re-working of the Lord's Prayer.

bb

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
something to put in the creed...

we believe in unrest, to separate the chaff from the wheat.
we believe in doubt, in questions, in opinions. god has them; jesus has them, why shouldn't we?
we believe in ourselves - the only people who can change things.
we believe in jesus, the subversive, the rebel. he regarded people rather than laws as important. he felt all feelings, including anger, pain and abandonment.
we believe in a god who uses misfits, oddballs, unlikely, ordinanry people to tell his story.

it's late, and i'm running dry. will maybe add more later.....

any one else?

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that.Mind if I nick and Use?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently attended Community Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Kansas City, MO. During the passing of the peace, they said something which I liked so much I have started using it in my congregation:

"God loves you, and there is nothing you can do about it."

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

So this is what we have ....

Preparation

Greeting:
God loves you, and there is nothing you can do about it

A Prayer of Preparation / Confession:
Lord, we have said too much and said too little.
(pause to reflect on insensitive remarks and lack of comfort/encouraging remarks)
Lord, we have done too much and done too little.
(pause to reflect on being too busy and procrastinating)

Lord, we have prayed too much and prayed too little.
(pause to reflect on praying to change the order of things to suit ourselves and ignoring real injustice)

Lord, we have thought too much and thought too little.
(pause to reflect on hair-splitting and prejudice)

Lord, we have loved too much and loved too little.
(pause to reflect on infatuation or smother-love and ignoring those who don't interest you)

Lord, we have confessed too much, and confessed too little.
(reflect on the minor transgressions that you've blown up so that they obscure the major transgressions.)

Lord,
You know all that is said and unsaid,
done and undone,
thought and ignored,
loved and unloved,
confessed and hidden.

The Lord forgives; never too much,
never too little.
In the Lord there is perfection and peace.
Be still and receive the forgiveness and peace of the Lord.

A Collect of Christian Unrest:
TonyK? Anything yet?

Liturgy of the Word

An Expression of Faith:
we believe in unrest, to separate the chaff from the wheat.
we believe in doubt, in questions, in opinions. god has them; jesus has them, why shouldn't we?
we believe in ourselves - the only people who can change things.
we believe in jesus, the subversive, the rebel. he regarded people rather than laws as important. he felt all feelings, including anger, pain and abandonment.
we believe in a god who uses misfits, oddballs, unlikely, ordinanry people to tell his story.

Space for Readings:

Psalm:
Psalm 34, or otherwise

I cried unto the Lord and He heard me,
And sent me the love of all my dear friends,
The Angel of the Lord encamps round about them that fear Him,
And creates a shield from the prayers of those closest to me.

Such kindness and friendship in a wicked world,
Was indeed a treasure to discover.
An oasis in the boiling seas of life,
Where all my shipmates came to gather round me.
I had not thought such love
Still existed in this fast decaying time,
But you all care more than any
A balm to a troubled spirit and frightened heart.
Reminded me who holds the chart,
Who the pilot of my ship is,
Who has the answers and listens when I scream and stamp.
Who puts the sun behind the clouds
To burst through a billion times brighter
When the storm passes.

My guardian angels were the hearts of my friends,
There in the time of need,
Let me praise you and the Captain,
Whose sons and daughters we all are,
For giving such clear assurance,
He's still in charge.
----------------------------
Land ahoy, me lads,
The Journey won't be much longer,
Press on towards the shore,
To gain an eternal harbour secure.

Prayers
Intercessions and Thanksgivings
The Lords Prayer (perhaps our own "translation")

Conclusion
Dismissal:

So that leaves us the collect of unrest, a pattern for intercessions, and a dismissal, and maybe a lords prayer translation?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible dismissal:

Go with God, and stay with God.

?

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

This is a dismisal that I really like.

quote:
Paul Sheppy from "Prayers for a New Millennium".
The worship is over; the service begins.
Go, people of Go, into God's world.
Mett Christ in friend and stranger,
serve him in all you meet.
And may the blessing of God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit fill you
and the whole of creation,
now and always.

bb

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On second thoughts, mine's not a v. good dismissal.

Possible addition to the creed:

We believe in love, that comforts and challenges, that never lets us stay still but always draws us towards God.

The Lord Prayer will be quite hard, je pense. Interestingly, though, I think the Our father/hallowed be your name dichotomy will fit in quite well with the restless tension there seems to be in the rest of what's been written... How about starting:

God, whose home is heaven, who we on Earth love, and laugh with, and revere...

And for the 'forgive us our sins':

Challenged by the knowledge of your complete forgiveness, help us to forgive others.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

I love the simplicity of Joan's dismissal. Please don't just dismiss it.

bb

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

bb - after looking at it a bit, I got the feeling of a scolding mother letting a little child out with a family friend saying "and mind you stay close to God"!!! Maybe that's just to my mind, thought . I do like 'the worship is over, the service begins'.

Here's an offering for the Lords Prayer:

God, whose home is heaven, who we on Earth love, and laugh with, and revere, may we help to build your Kingdom right here and now, uniting Earth with Heaven in one creation centred on you and living by your light and your love.

You became an embodied spirit, like us, and you know our needs of body and soul. May we have what we need to live so that we may give ourselves wholly to you.

Challenged by the knowledge of your complete forgiveness, help us to forgive others. Forgive us that we are afraid to receive only the forgiveness we have given.

We believe you will not break us, but if we must be tested for your glory and our growth then give us strength.

Do not abandon us in the darkness that is sometimes our own minds, and stand between us and others who may try to imprison us in the darkness of the world.

We ask this of you because from you comes all goodness and love, all strength and all the light that pierces the darkness, for all time and outside time.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

I like Lords prayer very much. As for the dismissal how about something short and sweet like:

The worship is over; the service begins.
Go with God, and stay with God.

or some other fusion?

I also like the creed additions too.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

I definitely like Joan's version of the LP, and sacredthree's dismissal.

--------------------
Siegfried

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016