homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Ship Social Action: Support local foodbanks July 1st-7th (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Ship Social Action: Support local foodbanks July 1st-7th
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first action proposed as a result of the Social Action and Shipmeets thread is to donate to a local foodbank/soup kitchen during the week of 1st-7th July.

This thread is here to discuss this. Maybe you know of local organisations that run foodbanks, and you can post their contact info. Maybe you want to discuss getting together with others from your city and volunteering at a foodbank for a few hours that week. Maybe you just want to add your name to show that you'll be supporting the idea.

Paul W

[ 05. October 2007, 22:40: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be donating during the week of July 1-7.

I'm also going to see what the local food banks, food pantries, and soup kitchens need in terms of volunteers. It might be possible at some future time to invite some Shipmates from the region where I live to come and devote half a day to the food bank and then have social time for ourselves.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in - and, as per Olivia G's suggestion on the Social Action thread, I'll make a monetary contribution to the food bank. No chance of a service shipmeet here, unfortunately, but I'll check out volunteer opportunities.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of you who are going to give non-monetary donations, keep in mind that many food banks also distribute diapers, soap, and other baby or personal hygeine items.

sabine

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in on this. At lunchtime I visited Sainsburys and noticed they had a foodbank tolley by the exit. It reminded me that at the vets where I take my moggies there is also one - for animal food. I think I'll stick to the human one this time though.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have e-mailed the Greater Vancouver Food Bank to ask if there are any benefit events in Vancouver or short-term volunteer opportunities during that week. Cheers, OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope also to be a part of this. Our church started a homeless bagged lunch idea. One of our members walked by a homeless man during his lunch one day, and just handed him his lunch. The next day, he brought two and handed both of those out. Pretty soon he was walking and putting out lunches in the less than savory places in the city. If the people were asleep, or not responding, he'd just leave the lunch there. I think we're up to about 500 lunches a day now. So, I will see if I can help out that week to prepare some.

Are we also to check in when done and report on what we did?

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church I go to in St Albans has a project called Feed. If anyone wants any information please PM me.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of a larder in farnborough, hampshire if anyone wants to donate. I will be!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found my local food bank, I will ring them tomorrow. I we meant to be saying we're with SoF, or just going forth to love and serve the Lord ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
Are we also to check in when done and report on what we did?

Sure I for one would like to hear any interesting stories that come out of this.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Are we meant to be saying we're with SoF, or just going forth to love and serve the Lord?

Good question. On one hand I really hate self promotion. On the other hand you could be introducing some good people to the ship. I think that I will just drop off the food and if asked I will say it is from the SoF on-line community.

[ 21. June 2007, 18:46: Message edited by: rugasaw ]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a plan [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... I wonder if we could work up a "Mystery Worshipper" type card to include with the box of canned goods, etc.

"From your friends at Ship-of-Fools.com"

Give it some thought.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have volunteered at The Manna Centre near London Bridge in the past - we donate as a church at Harvest Festival too.

The latest donation list is here and they are saying that stocks run short around this time of year, so good thinking Batman (whoever it was).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If people are struggling to find a place to give / serve then a call to the local Salvation Army ought to yield the information you'll need.

We may well be in France that week, so will get creative in finding a way to be involved.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parish collects on the third Sunday of every month (and donates the food to a food bank at another Episcopal church) -- but I'll hand in my donation on the 1st of July.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Second Harvest has a lot of ties with churches in my area-- if the bank itself is hard to get to, a local church may have a drop box.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does my own church's food bank count?

We keep a pantry stocked with a long list of staple items, foods and hygiene stuff, "hurricane food" as well. Members would be welcome to the stuff, if they needed it, but the focus is on people in the community who call for help.

That's upstairs among the classrooms by the kitchen.

Downstairs in the auditorium, we have a big box where we put similar stuff, meant for a children's home up in Arkansas. A big van comes around to pick it up quarterly.

Shall the FG and I stock up these two aspects of our church's food bank and return here to report?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Hmm... I wonder if we could work up a "Mystery Worshipper" type card to include with the box of canned goods, etc.

Masked man carrying a couple of grocery bags? I like the idea!
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

I don't see why not.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You would not believe the amount of groceries our little church hands out on a weekly basis. It's not unusual to give out 6 bags a day. We're on a main road, and word gets around, you know? We give most everyone two bags, with canned goods and other staples, toiletries if we have them. The homeless or transients want stuff that doesn't have to be prepared, so we try to keep "pop-top" type food available for them. One of our regulars recently acquired some means of heating AND a hosepipe, so the last time he asked for something he could actually try and "cook".

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
Those of you who are going to give non-monetary donations, keep in mind that many food banks also distribute diapers, soap, and other baby or personal hygeine items.

And people who run food pantries or shelters or soup kitchens would frequently love to have them to give out. That and clean socks.

Those little travel sizes (like you get in a hotel) are good for transient populations. Bigger containers are good for shelters - women's shelters especially appreciate shampoo and baby items. (We have an ongoing "blankies and jammies" project with ours.)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
quote:

I don't see why not.
Well, I wondered, because I would be doing it anyway. So I feel like I'm getting all the warm fuzzy let's-all-do-this feelings fraudulently. [Razz]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a soup kitchen not too far from my church which we contribute to frequently. Our church is also doing a Christmas in July event through Share. I think I can do both in the name of SoF! How do we make arrangements for these cool cards which my friend Campbellite thought up?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:

If we all agree on the wording, we can print them ourselves and hand them out.

sabine

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First draft:
quote:
Ship of Fools: the Magazine of Christian Unrest
supports local foodbanks
July 1 - 7, 2007

From your friends at www.ship-of-fools.com

Copy and paste in a word processing program. Center. Print on blank business cards.

Comments?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Could we get the Captain's permission to use the Sof logo on them ?

--------------------

Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Give it some thought.

Nice idea.

I don't know of any places near me and the soup kitchen closed I think... I'll do a little local research.

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

If there are no foodbanks, salvation army, etc. near, you can always go with Lady A's thought. Hand a bag lunch to a homeless person. Just make sure you take a friend with you(safety and all).

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the card idea, it would be nice to put something in, even though we're not doing it for the purposes of advertising.

There's a list of loads of foodbanks in Toronto (where I am at the moment) at 211Toronto.ca. I wonder if there are similar things for other cities?

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'm in! My own church runs a casserole bank, and even though I'm not much of a cook, I will happily donate a crate of disposable containers next week for those who regularly fill the freezer at church. I probably would not have even thought about it without this thread. Will that do?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a food bank in Southampton (UK) - details at Scratch. I plan to give them a ring and see what they need most and then go on a shop. If any other local Southampton people want to join me/give me something towards it, then i'm happy to do that.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've inspired me. I've found a local homeless shelter and their list of wanted tins. I'll get some stuff together and drop it off next week.

Am happy to include a card if that's the general idea.

Thanks for provoking some action [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

*sigh*

If I want to include a card I will have to slip it in somehow where it won't be noticed.

If the pewmates find out I am

a) telling people anyone but the pewmates had something to do with that food there being given out by the pewmates, and

b) telling people to go look at a website that has Foul Language on it --

Well, the Ship will hit the fan.

Tell ya what...

I will of course be adding to the food pantry stuff and the orphans' box, since that needs to be done anyway --

But I will look for another context for the Ship-o-Fools card.

There's the battered women's shelter, I bring them food sometimes. I could do that.

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

Yeah, don't worry about the card thing if it's just going to cause problems.

It seems to be more difficult than I'd expected to find foodbanks that want volunteers at fairly short notice for just a couple of days. I might have to just give them a donation if I can't find anywhere.

Anyone else thinking about doing something for this?

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church has a monthly food drive for a local pantry on the 3rd Sunday. We cook dinner at the homeless men's shelter monthly on the 4th Sunday. I could easily support either of these efforts in advance with either food or funds during the appointed week.

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
quote:

Well, the Ship will hit the fan.

Is that a new strapline? [Angel] [/tangent]

I'm going to make up some kind of card to add to my donations to Share and the soup kitchen. This is such a great (and fun!) idea!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Church collects all the time for The Swindon Food Bank I will pop some extra in tomorrow if I remember - my 3 year old normally reminds me just before we leave home! No card though - no time sorry.

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not heard of a direct appeal for food for the flood victims but there is bound to be somewhere to give something to the good people of Sheffield...

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a list of food banks in the UK > here and ways to donate to their work.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
There is a list of food banks in the UK > here and ways to donate to their work.

Many thanks Curiosity killed... [Overused]

I was finding the thought of doing the necessary research a tad daunting, but I can easily manage making an online donation to my local food-bank.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity killed ... - perfect solution, many thanks.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Sheffield Forum this post tells people how to contact the Humanitarian Assistance Centre set up by the Council.

Spent some time seeing if I could find any other appeals on the Web but none so far. If people seriously want to give, I suggest people keep an ear to their denominational network and see what the requests are.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we've picked a good project for this time of year. Our local paper ran an article yesterday which mentioned that Second Harvest Food Bank (a big operation around here) is always low on donations during the summer months.

My bag is only about 1/4 filled, so I'm off to the grocery tomorrow.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Thank you Curiosity - I was trying to work out how to donate without making an extra journey (nearest food bank project to me is about 12 miles away) and this is the perfect answer!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we have food bank drop-offs in all the supermarkets which makes it very easy to donate food. I just did my own grocery shopping and picked up 2 bags of non-perishables for the food bank along with the bags I got for my own family. Hope to do that at least once more this week. It's one of those "always mean to, never get around to it" things that I'm glad I had the Ship reminder to motivate me!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone can't participate directly, for whatever reason, you might do the free click-to-donate at the Hunger Site. You can do one click each day

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Golden Key, what a wonderful idea! I don't know why that didn't occur to me earlier.

And if you have a personal webpage, make a link to it so you can encourage others to click. [Cool]

[ETA: because I can]

[ 03. July 2007, 20:22: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vancouver Shipmates, here's part of an e-mail I received from the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society:
quote:
We could use two to 4 more volunteers this Saturday, July 7th. At Safeway Sasamat where we are doing a car wash/ BBQ with the SAfway store as our partner.

They have been involved with helping us raise money(we are currently at $12,000.00) for the efforts so far this past 7months.

Let me know if you are available for this event.

The long-range forecast for Saturday, July 7 is a mix of sun and cloud, with a high of 23. Who's up for some good clean fun? OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

Double-posting to add more info:
quote:
The event runs from 10am to 5pm.

We would like the volunteers to commit to 3 hours minimum time.

That could be 10 to 1pm or 11 to 2pm or 2 to 5pm etc.

It is pretty flexible in that regard.

OliviaG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016