homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Addressing a female Anglican priest (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Addressing a female Anglican priest
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Gevena Gown ON]
Ok. This is NOT going to be a discussion about whether or not women can or should be clergy, nor how to show one's disapproval for ordained women.

oldccboy--If you want to haul this particular discussion out yet again, take it to Hell, where I'm sure you'll get the response you richly deserve. I'm rather put out that you can't get it through your head that this is not the appropriate venue.

[Geneva Gown OFF]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a certain priest in the Diocese of London who is widely referred to as "Mother". The priest in question is actually a "he" - so where does that leave us?
Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
But it took less time than that for a person to appear at my elbow saying , "This is a Forward in Faith Parish."

How does one respond in these circumstances?
What about :- "That's alright, together we can pull through."?

Corpus
(who would happily have a woman priest on the staff just to p**s off the people who are as rude as those you describe. Theology is one thing, but bad manners are something entirely different. There's simply no escuse.... [Mad] )

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Geneva Gown ON AGAIN!]
Ok.. let me say again... we are not going to discuss the subject of women in the priesthood or how they are treated by various parishes or groups in this thread. As requested earlier, either start a new discussion in Hell, or add it to the Men and women? Merely different plumbing? thread in Dead Horses.
[Geneva Gown OFF--and it better hadn't go on again for this thread!]

--------------------
Siegfried

Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Regina Caeli:
  • Prebendary (wtf?) - The Revd Prebendary
  • As I understand it 'old foundation' cathedrals have Prebendaries and 'new foundation' cathedrals have Hon. Canons. No difference in status, just in title.

As regards the original question - a priest who's a bloke is 'Father', so what's wrong with 'Mother' for a woman?!

By the by - the use of the term 'Rev' as a form of addressing someone is OK if used with the Christian name - i.e. Rev Robert or Rev Roberta. Incorrect is Rev Jones.

--------------------
    The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Degs

Friend of dorothy
    # 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Apologies for the double post.

RC, my dear, dear friend, why the (wtf?)? [Confused]

--------------------
    The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
    babybear
    Bear faced and cheeky with it
    # 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Some suggestions...

• esteemed brood-sybling
    • non-genetic parental unit
    bb
    Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Chorister

Completely Frocked
    # 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    or with the form of address used by a former churchwarden to any female in the church;

either:

'ello Maid

or:

'ello Flowerrrrr

both said with great affection [Sunny]

--------------------
    Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Cosmo
    Shipmate
    # 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Decanus:
    By the by - the use of the term 'Rev' as a form of addressing someone is OK if used with the Christian name - i.e. Rev Robert or Rev Roberta. Incorrect is Rev Jones.

That is not correct at all. The word 'Reverend' must always be preceded by the definite article. Whether or not it is the clerics Christian name or their surname which is used is quite irrelevant.

'Fr Peter' or 'Fr Jones' is quite acceptable as a method of address ('Fr' being an honorific rather than a title or style) but 'Rev'd Peter' or 'Rev'd Jones' is not.

Cosmo

Rev per Minute
    Shipmate
    # 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    As to 'vicars' and 'rectors', I was told that (at least until team vicars and rectorial benefices came about) the title depended on the accommodation -that is, if the parish had a Vicarage the incumbent was called Vicar, and if there was a Rectory he was called Rector. It seems as sensible as any other reason in the Church of England!

--------------------
    "Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
    # 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhisiart:
    As to 'vicars' and 'rectors', I was told that (at least until team vicars and rectorial benefices came about) the title depended on the accommodation -that is, if the parish had a Vicarage the incumbent was called Vicar, and if there was a Rectory he was called Rector. It seems as sensible as any other reason in the Church of England!

The Rectory and the Vicarage take their names from the person living in them, not the other way round.

The difference, which is now, I believe, of largely historical interest, dates from the time when the income from the parish (such as the compulsory tithe and the income from church land let out) belonged to a particular person, not to the parish or the church as a whole. Rectors got to keep the income (and thus possession of a living as a Rector could be very financially rewarding). Some individuals found the business of actually living in a parish and conducting services a bit onerous, so appointed someone else to take the services (acting vicariously on their behalf - so they were called vicars), paid them a pittance and still pocketed the money.

This is why 'The Old Rectory' is a prestigious address, but 'The Old Vicarage' is much less so.

I believe that there is a certain status in being a Rector rather than a Vicar, but that is the only difference nowadays (except in team ministries). In the CofE all 'new' parishes have Vicars.

--------------------
    Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
    CorgiGreta
    Shipmate
    # 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Chapelhead,

It may be quite acceptable to use the term "The Old Rectory", but I caution you against referring to a Rector Emeritus as "The Old Rector".

Prior to a construction project at a church I sometimes attend, there was a special parking space for the rector (not yet retired but getting close). The parking spot and the driveway to the spot were to be eliminated in the construction. The curate posted this unfortuate sign: "Do not walk across the old rector's driveway".

Greta

Degs

Friend of dorothy
    # 2824

quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmo:
    That is not correct at all.

Thank you for your precise, nay curt, reply.

Most of us live outside of the rarified air of the Savoy Grill (though we would love to live in the G&S world of the Savoy Theatre).

So I repeat my assertion that it is not inappropriate to use the term 'Rev' with the Christian name.

Of course it's not right to refer to The Rev Smith, but it is proper to refer to the Rev John Smith or the Rev Joan Smith, and it is not inappropriate to address a clergyperson as Rev John or Rev Joan

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
    # 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    It seems to me that difficulties in title can be avoided by using the form that Newman's Own mentioned on Pg. 1, 'Your/Her/His Reverence'. I'm rather taken with it and will attempt to popularise it in the Diocese.

Now what about this 'Your Ladyship'/'My Lady' and 'Your Lordship'/'My Lord'? Is the first or second form more correct when addressing Bishops? I've always plumped for 'My Lord'. What's the distinction? Out with the De Brett's ladies and gents.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    The Alchemist
    Shipmate
    # 2178

- Posted      Profile for The Alchemist   Author's homepage   Email The Alchemist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by sarkycow:

Parson is an old term recently defined in our church magazine [Smile] Here's the definition:
    For years clergy have been unofficially called parsons. The word means the person. Before the days of probation officers, social services and citizens' advice bureaux, the parson was the person to go to. Allocting money to the poor, coping with vagrants, overseeing almshouses were all his concerns. He was not the most important person in the community, but ordinary people could not approach important folk like the Lord of the Manor with their concerns. The parish priest was the person to go to with problems or in times of need. These days vicars do not hold such a commanding community role(!). Hence the term parson is rarely used - and then mostly by elderly people in remote communities [Big Grin]

Just catching up with this thread...

My priest told me it was from the Greek persona, meaning (literally) an actor's mask and (by extension) someone acting in a particular role. So when we call a priest 'parson', it's emphasizing the fact that we're speaking to him or her as a priest rather than in any other capacity.

Posts: 197 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
    babybear
    Bear faced and cheeky with it
    # 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Decanus:
    So I repeat my assertion that it is not inappropriate to use the term 'Rev' with the Christian name.

It does seem to come down to whether you are CofE or not. CofE revs refer to themselves and others as "the Revd John Smith", whereas non-conformists called themselves "Rev John Smith".

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Anselmina
    Ship's barmaid
    # 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    "Please Mistress - anything but the whip!!" usually works for me..... [Devil]

--------------------
    Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Koovie
    Ship's Supply Organist
    # 4434

- Posted      Profile for Koovie   Author's homepage   Email Koovie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Out here in British Columbia, we usually address all clergy by their first names...

On the Rector/Vicar question; if I remember correctly, isn't a Rector in charge of a self-supporting parish (whether it be one church or many churches) and a Vicar in charge of a parish whether it be one church or many churches) supported by the diocese?

Another question, is the term "Incumbent" used alot in Europe and in places other than British Columbia?

Posts: 216 | From: Virden, Manitoba | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
    Rowen
    Shipmate
    # 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I have been known to respond to "Hey you" and even "Thingie"! (But only from my friends, not parishioners) [Big Grin]

--------------------
    "May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Augustine the Aleut
    Shipmate
    # 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I am open to correctino on this, but I have been led to believe that Incumbent is the canonical and legal term used for the priest responsible for a parish in the diocese of Ottawa, owing to a precise legal use of the word Rector, originating in the early 1800s when the Governor and Council established Rectories. My informant (now gathered among the the celestial choir of archdeacons) told me that those instituted as Rectors to those parishes (Cornwall, Smith's Falls, Perth and Bytown/Ottawa were irremovable, causing inconvenience to bishops who liked to move their clergy about.
    Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
    ChastMastr
    Shipmate
    # 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    The priest at the church to which I seem to be returning is quite happy to be called "Mother Leslie," and as I have accepted the validity of the ordination of women (for those who didn't know this, since I posted a lot beforehand) I am happy to call her that as well. [Smile]

David

--------------------
    My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Siegfried
    Ship's ferret
    # 29

Geneva Gown ON
    Welcome aboard, Matt Koovisk!
    Just a reminder that you should check out the Ship's FAQs and the 10 Commandments (in case you haven't already read them), which explain how things are run.
    Geneva Gown OFF

[ 23. April 2003, 17:21: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
    Siegfried

Adrian1
    Shipmate
    # 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I would just be natural and address her (as I do male clergy who don't object) by the Christian name.

[Wink]

--------------------
    The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
    ken
    Ship's Roundhead
    # 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Matt Koovisk:
    Another question, is the term "Incumbent" used alot in Europe and in places other than British Columbia?

In the CofE it is the technical term for what everyone calls the "vicar". It is different to a "priest in charge" (who can be sacked) or a "curate" (who is temporary)

--------------------
    Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Panis Angelicus
    Shipmate
    # 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    On topic, I was interested to see a resolution for the upcoming General Convention of the Episcopal Church which would mandate equality in forms of address for those ordained in the ECUSA, regardless of gender. Some church periodicals persist in calling female clergy of all orders "Miss/Ms./Mrs.", and my hunch is that this is directed specifically toward their editorial practice. This would seem to be a resolution likely to pass without very much debate, though on that I could be wrong.

--------------------
    "Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Posts: 406 | From: New York City | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Amos

Shipmate
    # 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I was pleased to see that Lucy Winkett is now 'Canon and Precentor' which should simplify the matter of how to address her. (I never know how to address a minor canon)

--------------------
    At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Sacristan
    Shipmate
    # 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    The resolution in question probably is meant to address The Living Church's custom of calling all male priests "Father" while females are labeled "Miss, Ms,Mrs.". I do not understand how General Convention can change that since The Living Church is an independent magazine, not under the auspices of The Episcopal Church.

I hope that the resolution does not try to further dictate parish usage as far as how to address clergy. Most resolutions calling for inclusiveness usually mean "be inclusive-this is how-only those who think like we do are inclusive."

--------------------
    More abomination, more abomination

Posts: 1008 | From: West of Gotham | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
    mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
    # 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I suppose "Yo! Mama!" is out of the question. [Roll Eyes]

But seriously, has anybody mentioned that you might just ask her how she would like to be addressed?

Reader Alexis

--------------------
    This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Al Eluia

Inquisitor
    # 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Out here in British Columbia, we usually address all clergy by their first names...

On the Rector/Vicar question; if I remember correctly, isn't a Rector in charge of a self-supporting parish (whether it be one church or many churches) and a Vicar in charge of a parish whether it be one church or many churches) supported by the diocese?

Usage in the Anglican Church of Canada sounds like that in ECUSA, where the priest in charge of a full-fledged parish is the Rector, while the priest in charge of a mission church is the Vicar (the Rector of a mission church being the Bishop).

--------------------
    Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
    https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Panis Angelicus
    Shipmate
    # 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:

Yes, in Saskatchewan it is.

--------------------
    "Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Mr Cantata
    Shipmate
    # 3304

- Posted      Profile for Mr Cantata   Email Mr Cantata   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Being from the Diocese of Bible Believing Sydney, I would have to say that we should all be Brothers and Sisters.

I had the term "Mother Maxine" sprung on me at a mass recently, referring to a religious working in our community. The cringe factor in the congregation was very evident.

So, in my moment of revealed Sydney Diocese truth, Brothers and Sisters embrace each other with your correct title.

Sister Mr Contemplative
    [Yipee]

--------------------
    Mr Cantata Signing Off

Posts: 88 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Newman's Own
    Shipmate
    # 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Panis Angelicus:
    On topic, I was interested to see a resolution for the upcoming General Convention of the Episcopal Church which would mandate equality in forms of address for those ordained in the ECUSA, regardless of gender.

Wouldn't there be potential here for all sorts of problems? I have visions of protests, long-winded articles, etc., arising from this being a mandate. Based on this thread alone, there is no uniformity in how clergy, male or female, are addressed. In fact, until I read some of the responses here, I had not realised how much customs varied. (Of course, if a periodical terms all of the male clergy "Father," and the women "Ms," that sounds like an editorial, which would be offensive.)

Then again, in print (such as newspapers), to refer to the clergy as "Mr" always was standard, as far as I know, and would not be offensive to those who prefer being called "Father" in their parishes. I never lived anywhere that it would have been considered appropriate (quite the contrary) to address the clergy (or those of an older generation) as "John or Jane" unless one was invited to do so - but I'm wondering if, within a generation, there will be a uniform "Mr or Mrs/Ms/Miss" in print, and a standard John or Jane in speech.

--------------------
    Cheers,
    Elizabeth
    “History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Mr Cantata
    Shipmate
    # 3304

- Posted      Profile for Mr Cantata   Email Mr Cantata   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I'm definately trying a "Yo Mumma" on Sunday

--------------------
    Mr Cantata Signing Off

Posts: 88 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Amos

Shipmate
    # 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    That should be 'Yo, Mama' if it's ebonics you propose to attempt. If you leave out the comma, it becomes an insulting quip to a member of either sex, which would be written as 'Yo' mama....' and means that you could, if you wished, impugn the character of that person's mother. As it is, 'Yo, Mama,' may come off as more come-hitherish than you mean to be.

--------------------
    At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    ken
    Ship's Roundhead
    # 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Newman's Own:
    I never lived anywhere that it would have been considered appropriate (quite the contrary) to address the clergy (or those of an older generation) as "John or Jane" unless one was invited to do so - but I'm wondering if, within a generation, there will be a uniform "Mr or Mrs/Ms/Miss" in print, and a standard John or Jane in speech.

Wow! I thought this horse was pushing up the daisies!

People my age and (I assume) younger have more or less grown up not using titles or surnames in general conversation, so I expect that this problem will cease to exist soon - I'm nearer 50 than 40 already, so the clergy will soon be running out of people younger than them who feel embarrassed about calling them by name. Rather the other way around, it is formality that now causes unease.

I'm excercising my memory here...

I can remember 7 or 8 of the last few vicars & curates in our CofE parish, , all have been generally known by their names (Trevor, Dave, Chris, April, Pat...) Of neighbouring parishes whose clergy I have met, 5 or 6 use Christian names, 5 or 6 "Father" - but even then it is "Father Peter", "Father Owen" & so on, and informally, just the name. The

The split between "Father N" and "N" is a simple split between ACs and the rest. The ACs use "Father" almost all the time, nobody else ever does at all.

I have once or twice heard some of the Anglo-Catholic clergy refer to women priests as "mother" so-and-so, but never any of their congregation. Of course their congregations are unlikely to have women priests so the question will rarely arise.

--------------------
    Ken

Aggie
    Ship's cat
    # 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Amos:
    A person who calls all male clergy by a title of courtesy and first-names all female clergy would inevitably give the impression that he wished to make a point of his contempt for ordained women. However the clergy receive it, it makes the person in question look very bad. Really, I should reconsider this custom.
    I would also contest the assumption that theologically orthodox High Churchwomen are not likely to have vocations to the priesthood.
    All of this reminds me of the occasion a few weeks ago when I was in Croydon, having business in Lunar House. It took all day, it was the kind of thing that one wears a black suit and collar for, and I was exhausted when I came out, having a long journey home ahead of me. Seeing a church open, I went in to sit down for a few minutes of quiet. But it took less time than that for a person to appear at my elbow saying , "This is a Forward in Faith Parish." When I didn't seem to realize what was meant, the words were repeated.

--------------------
    “I see his blood upon the rose
    And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
    His body gleams amid eternal snows,
    His tears fall from the skies.”
    (Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
    Aggie
    Ship's cat
    # 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Sorry made a mistake re: above.

I assume that this church that Amos visited was St Michael's Croydon. I beleive that this is a Forward in Faith parish, and I have only been there the once and found that it was the least friendly church that I had ever been to. I'd say that the people were not only unfriendly but down right rude and they were certainly rather an eccentric lot

--------------------
    “I see his blood upon the rose
    And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
    His body gleams amid eternal snows,
    His tears fall from the skies.”
    (Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
    jlg

What is this place?
    Why am I here?
    # 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Host Mobcap ON

Welcome aboard, Aggie. I trust you've poked around the Ship and read the FAQs and guidelines and all. Glad to have you with us.

Host Mobcap OFF

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    ChastMastr
    Shipmate
    # 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mousethief:
    I suppose "Yo! Mama!" is out of the question. [Roll Eyes]

Only if she's a famous musician.

Sorry, that's Yo-Yo Ma. My mistake. [Wink]

--------------------
    My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Anselmina
    Ship's barmaid
    # 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I don't care what address people use for me, so long as there's a big fat cheque in the envelope! [Wink]

--------------------
    Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
    CorgiGreta
    Shipmate
    # 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Ken,

In the United States, there is no divide between Anglo-Catholics and "the rest" regarding addressing a priest as father. Here, for example is a local full-fledged evangelical parish that has no qualms about adddressing their rector as "Father".

http://stjamesnewportbeach.org/

Greta

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
    # 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Greta, since the rector of that church is named the Rev. Praveen Bunyan, I think "father" is definitely the way to go.
    Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
    # 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    The first woman priest I knew was adamantly opposed to being addressed as "Mother"- thought it made her sound like the head of a convent. She decided to be called Vicar. Only Vicar. Paired with her given name it would be Vicar Victoria. Her Bishop, Robert, joked that they should start a Vicar Vicky and Bishop Bob Show.

My current rector is addressed as Mother Joanna, Joanna, or jauntily as MoJo. [Cool]

I'm not sure if this got explained at some point but in ECUSA a vicar is a priest of a mission church, a church being supported under the care and guidance of the diocese. The vicar is hired by the diososan bishop. A rector is the priest of a self-supporting parish and is hired and paid by that parish. At least that how I've always understood it.

Lyda Rose [Smile]

--------------------
    "Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
    basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
    # 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    My rector strongly prefers to be called by her first name. I understand that there was a bit of a problem with some of the older members of the congregation when she arrived (this is before my time) which she settled by telling anyone who asked that they should call her either by her name or "Madam Rector".

Everybody calls her by name.

basso

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
    Newman's Own
    Shipmate
    # 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Actually, in a formal setting, I rather like "Madam Rector" - it is dignified.

--------------------
    Cheers,
    Elizabeth
    “History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
    mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
    # 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Anselmina:
    I don't care what address people use for me, so long as there's a big fat cheque in the envelope! [Wink]

What diocese are YOU in?

Reader Alexis

--------------------
    This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
    ken
    Ship's Roundhead
    # 2460

quote:
    Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
    In the United States, there is no divide between Anglo-Catholics and "the rest" regarding addressing a priest as father.

Previous threads here in the ship have convinced mne that the centre of ECUSA churchmanship is far to the ecclesiological right of the average CofE church!

Of course I'm not sure that the "average" CofE church actually exists - everybody thinks they are "central" (so the words means nothing in practice) and there is clear water between the churchmanship of different local churches.

--------------------
    Ken

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
    # 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken:
    centre of ECUSA churchmanship is far to the ecclesiological right of the average CofE church!

Sorry, what is the "ecclesiological right"?
    Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Panis Angelicus
    Shipmate
    # 3795

quote:
    Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
    In the United States, there is no divide between Anglo-Catholics and "the rest" regarding addressing a priest as father. Here, for example is a local full-fledged evangelical parish that has no qualms about adddressing their rector as "Father".
    http://stjamesnewportbeach.org/

Dear Greta,

I think this may be true in some evangelical congregations, but it has not in my experience been true across the board. Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh Diocese) has its fair share of Low Church clergymen who would still prefer to be called (and are called) "Mr." This has also been true within my hearing in parishes throughout Maryland and Virginia.

--------------------

CorgiGreta
    Shipmate
    # 443

Panis,

I should have stated that the divide would be among "the rest", and I think it tends to vary by diocese. In the (not particularly high) diocese of Los Angeles, all four evangelical parishes address their priests as "Father", as do countless m.o.t.r. parishes. At the other extreme, I have the impression that in Virginia, use of the term "Father" would be considered hopeless Papalism. In Fond du Lac, on the other hand, failure to use the term would be a sure sign of unsoundness.

Greta

Greta

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
     - Printer-friendly view
    Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016