homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I'm just getting a bit confused here on the personal/hosting bit. The lines are getting a bit blurred.

If you're confused, then you're an idiot.

Change my opinion of your posting style (by virtue of your future posts), or you will be banned. Is that clear enough for you?

-RooK
Admin

Can you clarify what you mean by my posting style please?

Is this just in Hell or on the rest of the ship too? You threatened me previously that if any other hosts had a problem with me, you would love hearing from them.

Have any other hosts complained? I don't recall having trouble with any others. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You accuse me in Hell of being an attention whore and a troll.

May I ask how this different from any other poster in Hell?

[ 05. January 2015, 23:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Certainly. My perception is that your primary interest is purely in generating conflict, completely without any ameliorating engagement. Which, frankly, is additionally soured by your own crowing about winding people up. At this point I'm 95% convinced that the cumulative Commandment-1 class jerkishness that you inflict outweighs your meager input or any principled hope of making allowances for minority dissenting voices.

quote:
Most poignantly, any other poster in Hell winding people up will get my very unsubtle hints about the fact that they're heading too close to the realm of unacceptability. There's more than a couple regulars who are notorious wind-up merchants, but they've demonstrated the desired ilk of self-control that lets Hosts and Admins tolerate them venturing near the edge. Every single time I noted my discomfort with your apparent jerkishness, you took that opportunity to take another step closer to the edge. This is the classic behaviour of a not-uncommon self-destructive sort that's best to heave overboard before they go exponential and make a mess.

And, here we are: at the edge. Care to pick a direction?

[ 04. October 2010, 06:40: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Certainly. My perception is that your primary interest is purely in generating conflict, completely without any ameliorating engagement. Which, frankly, is additionally soured by your own crowing about winding people up.
FWIW (which is nothing) I happen to disagree with RooK on this, at least to a point. But that's not the point ES. I have said before I would be sorry to lose you from these boards. Can I recommend that you examine your posting style and see if you think there is any justification for RooK's assessment?

quote:
Choose life. Stick around.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting to look at what folks have actually been doing, sometimes.

Evensong has not been winding people up on the vocations thread in all saints, but has rather been supportive.

Evensong has welcomed newbies (in the dedicated thread) in a warm manner.

Evensong has made contributions as sensible as anyone else in purgatory.

Evensong seems to have played nice in the Circus.

Evensong can be rude and annoying (in an almost gifted, but not always appealing way) in Hell. You could say the same about a lot of other folks in Hell, not least Rook.

So far, so unexceptional. What's the problem?

Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong doesn't know enough to back off a bit when the hosts and admins bark. (One of the traits that seems to lead to ending up with permanent shore leave.)

You don't have to agree with hostly or adminly rebukes (I didn't agree with a lot of what Erin slapped me and others for way back when), but a simple "Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am" or an even more simple silence, combined with letting it drop and getting on with your life works wonders.

The H&As are happy, you don't end up wasting a bunch of time (yours and others') arguing, nobody's blood pressure goes up, you go into the collective consciousness as an OK person, and are perhaps free to sin again.

C'mon people, it's a discussion forum on a website. Save your crusading and self-immolation energy for Real Life situations where it might really make a difference!

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong asked a question. RooK answered it.

Although I speak not for any admin, Cadfael, I am not sure that good behavior in some areas means that a poster can get away with directly disobeying an admin in another area. Whether you agree with the admin's call or not, it does not seem like a good idea to continue that behavior in the facce of a warning directed at you.

This does not mean I think Evensong is trolling. That is not my call.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Evensong doesn't know enough to back off a bit when the hosts and admins bark. (One of the traits that seems to lead to ending up with permanent shore leave.)

You don't have to agree with hostly or adminly rebukes (I didn't agree with a lot of what Erin slapped me and others for way back when), but a simple "Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am" or an even more simple silence, combined with letting it drop and getting on with your life works wonders.

The H&As are happy, you don't end up wasting a bunch of time (yours and others') arguing, nobody's blood pressure goes up, you go into the collective consciousness as an OK person, and are perhaps free to sin again.

C'mon people, it's a discussion forum on a website. Save your crusading and self-immolation energy for Real Life situations where it might really make a difference!

Three points:

1) With all due respect, This is supposed to be the place where H&A opinions can be respectfully questioned. It ought to be safe for that, if done within the rules.

2) I cannot understand why it would be appropriate to agree with opinions you believe to be wrong, for the sake of convenience. Every sentiment revolts against it.

3) Who, in this thread, is crusading? I'm damn well not - I'm just hoping to contribute honestly to a discussion that disturbs me.

For the avoidance of doubt, jlg, I have no issue with the wonderfully irenic sentiment of your post. But what do you have to say about the substance of earlier posts? Was I wrong in my observations?

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sensible words. Although I'm a Hellhost, I'm posting here as a shipmate.

Getting an Admin warning in Hell is only slightly less rare than hen's teeth. If an Admin does pull you up in Hell, you'd better take notice. Even the Hellhosts shake with fear when that sort of thing happens.

[ 04. October 2010, 22:41: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cadfael:
2) I cannot understand why it would be appropriate to agree with opinions you believe to be wrong, for the sake of convenience. Every sentiment revolts against it.

It's been a long time since I've been involved in the member admin side of things, but to be honest, the prevailing attitudes amongst the admins isn't that you have to agree with an opinion you believe to be wrong. All we want you to do is straighten up when we tell you to. If RooK tells someone to stop being a dick in Hell, then they should stop being a dick in Hell; their opinion on said dickishness call doesn't come into it. Feel free to disagree from now until the Judgment Day, I really don't care. Just stop doing whatever it is we're telling you to stop doing.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

jlg, Tortuf, & Erin: I hope that you felt my contributions to be a genuine response to the issues raised. I certainly meant them that way. My apologies for any other interpretations that may have been possible; or for any naiveté on my part, for possibly disturbing a more extensive web of pertinent debate of which I was, and remain, unaware.

C.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cadfael, you just proved my point.

A former host tried to explain how things work here and invoked one of the people who created this place. And that person showed up and posted.

Your response was "big deal".

This isn't some fly-by-night website and if you can't be bothered to learn something about the old-timers, then perhaps you might think about whether we should spend time learning about you.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For myself, I've found Evensong's behaviour in Hell incomprehensible. And funnily enough I think it's about integrity. One can be hellish, annoying, provocative and swear like a trooper all one likes in Hell, but still be recognizably the same poster who makes sane, supportive and reasonable posts elsewhere.

I wouldn't say that appearing to be two completely different kinds of people on the boards is a great recommendation!

In fact, I would say that being able to recognize the integrity - the true character - of an otherwise okay poster often helps them if they are sincere in having a rant involving potentially unpalatable views.

I'm afraid I just don't believe that Evensong is sincere in her thread, and I think she thinks that the Hell board is just about winding people up and being contrary. I think she thinks she's playing 'the game', treating everything like a joke; but in fact she's misunderstood the purpose of Hell.

Hence even netural posts get bizaare or insulting responses from her. I had rather hoped she would see this after a while. I personally have no wish to see her planked.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

jlg, I admit that I have only been engaged with this site for four years, which is a short time in relation to many others. But I honestly have no idea what point of yours I was proving in my last post.

I did not seek to appeal for anyone to get to know me in my last post, but simply sought to apologize for my clumsiness in seeking to honestly contribute to the issues that I read, which it seems were more complex than the surface debate indicated.

Basically, I meant my last post as an apology for inadvertent offence that might have been caused, a sentiment which - now in dazed confusion- I can only repeat. I am really sorry to upset anyone, however unintentionally, and I only sought to contribute to discussion within the terms of the board and had no intention to communicate any 'big deal' response in relation to accepted practice here.

There seems to be nothing further that I can add to this tangential line of discussion, except to wish you well.

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish you well as well, Cadfael.
I really like your online name; have you read a number of books by Edith Pargeter?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laws, Cadfael, I thought that I was engaging in discussion with you.

I was being my usual stuffy self. You may have mistaken that for disapproval.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

Tortuf, you were all politeness - it was really the cumulative impression across a range of responses that made me feel that I didn't fully understand the context of the debate. That in turn made me feel that my interventions were presumptuous...

One lives and learns (albeit slowly, in my case!)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cadfael, you just proved my point.

A former host tried to explain how things work here and invoked one of the people who created this place. And that person showed up and posted.

Your response was "big deal".

This isn't some fly-by-night website and if you can't be bothered to learn something about the old-timers, then perhaps you might think about whether we should spend time learning about you.

jlg, I found your response to Cadfael a bit confusing myself. Was the "former host" you were referring to RooK? Or yourself? If so Cadfael did rather say "big deal" to the evidence or lack of evidence he saw for Evensong being a consistent troll. And you rightly pointed out that that was not the issue; the point was that we all have to follow the instructions of the H&As. But he did not say "big deal" to Erin, "one of the people who created the Ship" who reiterated RooK (and your) points about listening to the H&As when they believe one is crossing the line. He immediately stopped and apologized.

You also mentioned "crusading". Were you indicating that Cadfael was crusading by continuing to post on this thread? Or were you speaking in general about people going head-to-head with the hosts on a non-Styx thread after being told to back off? I really am confused.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Most poignantly, any other poster in Hell winding people up will get my very unsubtle hints about the fact that they're heading too close to the realm of unacceptability. There's more than a couple regulars who are notorious wind-up merchants, but they've demonstrated the desired ilk of self-control that lets Hosts and Admins tolerate them venturing near the edge. Every single time I noted my discomfort with your apparent jerkishness, you took that opportunity to take another step closer to the edge. This is the classic behaviour of a not-uncommon self-destructive sort that's best to heave overboard before they go exponential and make a mess.

OK. Here's the issue. You "noted your discomfort" by what I saw as personal intimidation and abuse of your position. You did not say

Rook
Admin

until the last post.

The two other examples below are very unclear.

When I pulled back after one saying I wasn't allowed to post, you gave me shit again, saying I would lose the bet with Tortuf.

What am I supposed think????

I've cut and pasted below my post from Hell.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Threat Number Three.

You know, if you weren't so fucking stupid, you might recognize these as "fair warning". You will get no more warnings.

-RooK
Admin

That's the first time you've put on your official Host hat by writing Admin under your name.

It would have helped to clarify whether they were fair warning if you had included that in the previous posts.

For example:

quote:
The dictionary definition of words mean nothing to her - we're all expected to abide by her arbitrary associations.

The simplest explanation of what anybody else writes isn't hardly ever her chosen interpretation - even after they try to clarify that it really was.

Any act of noting her sense-mangling posting style is interpreted as a "bite", which then is used as justification for any and all forms of shitty behaviour (which she refers to as "biting back").

Congratulations, Evensong, you're one of the least valuable not-quite-commandment-violating posters on the Ship in quite a while. My tolerance of your shit is, as an unofficial comment, attenuated. Should I be required to review your status subsequent to any Hostly admonitions, this subjective experience will be taken into account.

Just thought I'd mention that.

No hostly hat on there. I thought it was personal.

Same could go for this one:

quote:
You know, I'm kind of looking for an excuse to make my recent suspension-spree a hat-trick. And here we have Evensong asking incredibly annoying stupid shit in the same Eddy-esque vein as Fulrad, and defending it with the same idiotic trollery as Myrrh.

Go ahead, Evensong, say something more.

It matters not if you're being official or not I assume?

Although the 10C's seem to think it does matter:

quote:
Personal attacks on hosts, admins and editors for their official actions [my emphasis] will be treated as an attempt to disrupt the Ship itself.
My mistake. I forgot the ship was a Theocracy and you run it.

As you were.

I respect the fact that you believe I am too nasty and hellish in hell Rook. Fair enough.

In any further dealings, could you please be clear you are being a host and telling me to tone it down? (i.e. by saying Rook Admin or Rook, Lord of hosts, The Holy one of Israel?)

Otherwise I just think you're baiting me on a personal level.

Cadfael. Thanks.

[Axe murder]

quote:

I'd like to live. I'll try stay away from you in future.
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can hardly wait for a response to this.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong, I like your contributions elsewhere on the Ship, such as All Saints and the Knockout Quiz in the Circus. So when RooK called you up on your behaviour on the thread in Hell I quite deliberately set out to help you. I tried to explain what was being asked of you and I repeatedly tried to engage you on the topic we were all trying to discuss. I was trying to find out what you actually thought and believed.

Now, you could say that was patronizing of me, and yes it probably was, I am a preschool teacher after all! But it was also because I felt that you may have some validity to your argument and I may actually agree with you.

But you repeatedly came across as insincere and like you just wanted a reaction. You even seemed to boast about that. This, juxtaposed with your repeated talk of how much you hated hypocrisy and fakeness irked me. So I left the thread.

If someone who likes you and wanted to hear what you had to say thinks that you were baiting us, you should think about how you come across.

Now, if you are genuine surely you will want to come across as genuine, and so you will want to think about it. You may disagree with how I view you, but you should discuss it with me, PM me if you'd rather do it privately. If, however, you aren't genuine you'll know you aren't being genuine, so you'll have no need for contemplation on how others perceive you.

Liberty

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
quote:
I can hardly wait for a response to this.
You and me both, sister. <gets popcorn>

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I respect the fact that you believe I am too nasty and hellish in hell Rook. Fair enough.

Respectfully, I think you've missed the point.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You’re being disingenuous. You know exactly what you’re supposed to think, but you’re attempting to demonstrate (what you see are) the limitations of the discretionary rather than legalistic regulation of this forum, whilst trying to portray a strongly assertive persona. Rather desperately, it seems to me, since you’re obviously very keen to avoid getting banned. If you were really that cool, you’d walk.

It’s an easy mistake to make. You think the rules of the boards are a weapon that may be turned upon itself, and that, if you’re cunning enough to avoiding overstepping a certain line, you can behave highly subversively without actually getting planked. You think this affords you a kind of street credibility, in which you’re seen by all to be big enough to stand up to the PTB by pushing rules buttons and getting away with it.

I recognise all this. It’s like looking in a mirror. No, it’s more like looking at an old photo from a time when my mullet was considered sophisticated coiffure. Of course, I was completely wrong about it. The tolerance of the PTB and members of this community towards my rules-challenging behaviour here does not reveal a weakness of its authority, but its strength. I did not assert my superiority by sticking two fingers up at the H&As, I demonstrated their willingness to permit me the continued privilege of membership despite it.

I was, in short, a bit of a cunt.

Evensong, please consider my sincere and heartfelt suggestions: try to think of your membership of the Ship as a privilege, not a right; try to remember your presence here is nothing like as important to anyone else as it is to you; try to understand that they’ve all seen your sort of behaviour before; and try to behave towards the PTB like you would in real life, face to face.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

* Wonders idly if the prayer of humble access was efficacious for Damocles.*

[ 05. October 2010, 09:04: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m sure that’s dazzlingly clever of you.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
if you’re cunning enough to avoiding overstepping a certain line, you can behave highly subversively without actually getting planked.

Devant Toi, Ô Maître Suprême, je m'incline.

FD

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Oh go on FD. Translate for the Philistines please. [Big Grin]
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh go on FD. Translate for the Philistines please. [Big Grin]

There's almost sixteen thousand of the buggers, they can look it up themselves.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
* Wonders idly if the prayer of humble access was efficacious for Damocles.*

I'm sure if Damocles had had the same choice you have in the matter he would've done the intelligent thing and stepped away from the sword.

As for thinking that Rook considers you too hellish and nasty? [Roll Eyes] If you genuinelly think that Rook is disturbed by nastiness and hellishness on the Hell board, and somehow you've flipped his switch by being excessively so, you're proving you just don't know how the board works.

For goodness sake, Evensong, just be your natural self* - as evidenced, I presume, in how you post elsewhere - check out some of the past Hell threads to see how they read; and let's all move on.

*And I am presuming that your Hell persona isn't your natural self!

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Evensong,

Let's give this a whirl and see how far we get.

When I made my bet with you it was on the (mistaken) impression that you had decided to climb down off your high horse and actually engage in the discussion. I was certain that you would not get banned for posting anything else because you had already posted several times after RooK's warning and had not been banned.*

Instead you continued to engage upon a posting style that spoke much more of an effort to wind people up than anything else. Personally, I was enjoying myself as it gave me room to vent off steam. That does not mean it was acceptable behavior.

What evidence do I have for my assertion? Re read Liberty's post directed to you. Read RooK's posts. Surely, those are pretty broad "hints."

You seek absolutes in this thread and everyone else is talking in impressions. That is because behavior is all about impressions. Not your impressions, but the impressions others have of what you post. This is the essence of human interaction. If you are old enough to have children, you are old enough to understand this concept.

I actually like you. My guess is that you feel strongly that you have made yourself a mark on the Ship as a warm and helpful poster, someone willing to be nice to newbies. The evidence is that you have. And now, you feel bewildered by RooK's statements to you.

Caution, I am not an official here and what I say is not on behalf of the admins.

Hell is not about winding people up and getting them upset. It is not about how infuriated you can get someone as a way of amusing yourself. Hell is a steam valve designed to let posters let off steam about - whatever is bothering them. It can be about another poster, a current event, a politician, anything. It is also a place where the rules of debate in Purgatory are relaxed by allowing personal attacks. Again, this is part of the letting off steam idea.

At it's heart though, Hell is still about engaging in a discussion. Winding people up to see how mad you can get them, or any other behavior designed to manipulate a response from others, is not engaging in a discussion. It is a violation of the first commandment.

You state you are bewildered by RooK's statements to you. Everyone else is bewildered by your seeming inability to "get it."

I don't really know what to suggest, except that you act like you are in Purgatory when you are in Hell for a while. You know how to behave in Purgatory. If you feel the need to tell someone they are an idiot, tell them. Just refrain from deliberately winding them up.

You are intelligent. You can manage this.

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I genuinely do like you Evensong (outside of Hell) and hope you stay on the ship. You add a lot to the other boards.

I'm a brand spanking newbie and even I know that if Erin shows up it's time to shut up and pay attention.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Hence even netural posts get bizaare or insulting responses from her. I had rather hoped she would see this after a while. I personally have no wish to see her planked.

ISTM she's trying too hard.

It reminds of C.S. Lewis talking about writing 'style' (very loose paraphrase): just write what you think or want without worrying about style and you'll find you've created your own.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see.

So, the options are:
  1. You really don't understand what I'm talking about, or,
  2. You're willfully mis-understanding what I'm talking about to try to stay but not modify your behaviour.

Neither is acceptable.
<splash>

Feel free to contact me, or any of the Admins, if you wish to appeal your banning off-line.

And, you know, while I'm in the Control Panel anyway... you picked the wrong day for yet another dose of your asinine toe-across-the-line act Foaming Draught. Out of my sight for a couple weeks.
<splash>

-RooK
Admin

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
I'm a brand spanking newbie and even I know that if Erin shows up it's time to shut up and pay attention.

The Force is strong with this one.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - I understand about Evensong, but what did FD do? Was it the French? [Confused]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Could be.

BTW, translated it is:

Before Thee, O Supreme Master, I bow.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<ETA: crosspost Tortuf>
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
OK - I understand about Evensong, but what did FD do? Was it the French? [Confused]

The refusal to translate the French, I reckon. ("Before you, o supreme master, I take my bow." say the remnants of my high school French.)

[ 05. October 2010, 19:40: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

I was wondering, too. Bit surprized, tbh.
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure suggesting that every Shipmate is a Philistine in Styx didn't help much either.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:

You’re being disingenuous.<snip> If you were really that cool, you’d walk.

Did you mean swim?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I've seen a rule or guideline somewhere about use of non-English, though I'd guess that FD's error was in the timing.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

We have all seen warnings about posting in other languages. I have had a host chew on me about posting in another language.

In my case it was Arabic and the host was my good friend, Duo Seraphim. I deserved the hostly rebuke and apologized for my breach. All was forgiven and we both moved on.

Could have worked that way for other folks as well.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacobsen , you walk the plank, then swim if you can as far as you can.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope Evensong does appeal and come back to the other boards. I agree she didn't seem to "get" Hell, and I see why she was planked, but she certainly "got" the ethos of the other boards and I, for one, will miss her.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too - I also like Evensong and what Evensong posts often!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

I understand one isn’t supposed to speak ill of the banned (because they have no means of reply), but doesn’t that rule also hold for speaking well of them? I thought we were supposed to refrain from criticising those-who-must-not-be-named (positively or negatively).

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Me too - I also like Evensong and what Evensong posts often!

I wasn't particularly fond of her post to the effect that a certain other Shipmate shouldn't have children because of her lifestyle choices. And that one was in Purg, so wasn't just because she didn't "get" Hell.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Benny Diction 2
Shipmate
# 14159

- Posted      Profile for Benny Diction 2   Author's homepage   Email Benny Diction 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had no experience of Evensong's postings so make no specific comment.

My observation on this in general though is "sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes" ("Who guards the guards?" "Who watches the watchmen?")

In other words, my experience, on brief visits to hell, is that Hosts can be as vitriolic and at times nasty as they wish but it seems in this case at least Shipmates aren't allowed to be.

Yes we need moderators. But do Shipmates get egged on by the very outspoken behaviour of the Hellish hosts I wonder? In other words, if Hell Hosts reined themselves back would that set the standard they are now trying to enforce?

--------------------
Benny Diction

"The Labour party has never been a socialist party, although there have always been socialists in it - a bit like Christians in the Church of England." Tony Benn

Posts: 859 | From: Home of the magic roundabout | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

As I see it, the standards they’re enforcing are the friggin rules. The problem isn’t the vitriolicness of any Shipmate’s postings, but that they break the 10Cs.

Um. Is that a word?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it is now.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016