homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: I am a Nazi. Apparently. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: I am a Nazi. Apparently.
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The boys are sitting at the table refusing to eat spinach. It's been a half an hour since D and I got up from the table. It is a small quantity, a "no thank you" helping. I finally snapped and set the timer for 5 minutes. If they don't finish, they're going right to bed. [Mad]

p.s. Now the eldest says he has to go to the bathroom. [Roll Eyes] Like I'm falling for that one.

[ 22. February 2005, 16:46: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes a mother's gotta do what a mother's gotta do.

I feel your pain. (And I've felt that [Mad] wrath myself ....oh, not more than an hour or so ago.) Hang in there.

Rossweisse // no surrender!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It gets better, you know. I have moved on from "dinner table Nazi" and have now reached the exalted heights of "completely ruining whatever hope might have existed for a normal life." [Roll Eyes]

In the immortal words of my father "You will never have to pay a therapist hundreds of dollars an hour to explain why I'm being mean to you. I'm being mean to you because you're being flipping unreasonable, and if you don't cut it out, everyone else will be mean to you, too."

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's gonna crack first?

When I was 8 and he was 6, my mother used to cook my brother bacon and fried bread for breakfast every morning. Every morning they had a silent battle of wills on whether he would eat it.

One day, a teacher came up to me at playtime and said "Your brother is holding a mouthful of chewed bacon in his mouth, like a little hamster." I replied "Yes, Miss, he hates bacon so much that he refuses to swallow it."

Be warned.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I win! I win! They choked it down. I ignored the retching and puking noises and kept to my promise to add spinach every time there was a complaint. In the end, there was only one threat to run away.

I use the same explanation my mother used for us after cries of unfairness. She'd say, evenly: "I'm an ogre and it's just your bad luck you've got ogres for parents. When you're eighteen you may do as you wish (assuming you don't expect help with college) in which case you may do what you wish at 21.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Never give up! Never surrender!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When did he swallow it?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You go, Laura! [Big Grin]

I remember hearing the SW say something akin to these words to her teenage daughter: "No, I am not your friend. It's not my job to be your friend, it's my job to be your mother. Ruining your life is merely one of the perqs*."

My 12 y.o. step-son already bemoans his status as "Above-Average Slave Child" and refuses to believe that our insistence he use good table manners, take out the trash and feed the pets are anything but further degradations in our cruel campaign of oppressing him.

My dad used to yank me out of sleep--literally--at 5:30 a.m. to force me to go jogging. Dad was real big on yessir/nosir authority, having grown up in a strict family during the Depression, so the AASC doesn't know how good he has it. I am tempted occasionally to disabuse him of his ignorance in a similar manner.... [Snigger]

======
*perqs = perquisites

[ 10. December 2004, 00:00: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo hoo, Laura!!!!

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
When did he swallow it?

Ah, but here we see the purity of his protest. I simply don't know...

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You made them eat spinach?? [shudder] Beyond cruel!

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they're remotely intelligent they've managed to stuff it into the corners under the table.

RR

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
You made them eat spinach?? [shudder] Beyond cruel!

Gort: you are aware that there are children starving in Africa?

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
When did he swallow it?

Ah, but here we see the purity of his protest. I simply don't know...
Duo: have you seen "A River Runs Through It or read the book, when the youngest who has a will of iron sits for hours staring at "God's oatmeal" until his father is forced to give up?

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

But they taste terrible, and will give you kuru.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Let them eat the spinach!

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

But they taste terrible, and will give you kuru.
Only if you eat their brains.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] I was subjected to a variation of the "starving africans" routine when forced to eat spinach as a child..." Don't you know there are starving children in Afghanistan??" Horrible, limp, cold and bitter...I would gladly have used my allowance to ship the awful stuff overseas.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

My spinach is not limp and bitter. [Disappointed]

--------------------

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you stoop to the
quote:
When I was a child I had to eat spinach 12 times a day and if I vomited it back up I was forced to ingest broken glass
routine?
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
My spinach is not limp and bitter. [Disappointed]

Oh! Well if it was fresh, crisp and in a salad then the Lauroids have no excuse!

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by David:
Did you stoop to the
quote:
When I was a child I had to eat spinach 12 times a day and if I vomited it back up I was forced to ingest broken glass
routine?
No, but I told them of how I was forced to weekly eat shudder oyster stew. Cream soup broth with snot-slime sea creatures. There was suitable horror expressed at my mother's cruelty. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But... but... but...

I would love a good oyster stew.

Or even an oyster-and-spinach stew...

And would have as a child. I just don't undertand...

I often serve either fresh baby spinach with all sorts of yummy salad stuff, or a gorgeous spinach casserole thing, with various cheeses and whipped eggs and perhaps nice crunchy bacon crumbs and maybe some buttery little mushrooms.

Everyone always loves spinach around here. Likely because they can't see it. [Big Grin]

It's too smothered in wonderful stuff.

[ 10. December 2004, 01:39: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also love oyster stew, and have for many years. Can I have it?

Also, Laura, you can't be a real Nazi. I have it on the best authority--obviously my kids--that I am the ONLY true Nazi mom in the universe. No other kids are as persecuted as they. They promise.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that you've forced them to eat spinach, torture them with some mashed swede.

You will be elevated well above mere Nazi heights with an effort like that, and will witness gagging like you've not seen before.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged!

Or the spinach shall.

quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
Also, Laura, you can't be a real Nazi. I have it on the best authority--obviously my kids--that I am the ONLY true Nazi mom in the universe. No other kids are as persecuted as they. They promise.

Nuh-uhhh! I am a True Nazi Mother, and my children are The Most Persecuted in the World in Every Way. They tell me these things on a regular basis, and as I have raised them to be truthful, I am inclined to believe them.

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
...torture them with some mashed swede.

Can you DO that? Isn't it a violation of the Geneva Convention? [Eek!]

Besides, the Swedes aren't really all that obnoxious. I can think of better candidates, as groups, for mashing.

Rossweisse // nastier than you are, nyah-nyah-nyah! [Razz]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved spinach when I was a kid. My mother tells of feeding me Gerber baby food creamed spinach, and says that she was almost gagging as she spooned it into my mouth. I was lapping it up.

I liked liver too.

I didn't develop a taste for oysters until much later, however.

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:

By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged!
I hoped someone would catch that.

Ha! Now you must take the Geek Test. Alas, I scored a 40.8 - Total Geek. [Big Grin]

I was dumped at a dance, I attend academic lectures outside of school and I know the odd/even rule about Star Trek movies.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Alas, I am only a Major Geek.

But I'm working on it.

Rossweisse // if only they had one for "can name all the Valkyries..."

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Alas! Not as geeky as I aspire..only 33.1 [Frown]

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, me. 44.579% = Major Geek. I've always considered myself more of an honorary geek that a true Geek, but perhaps there's a little bit of real Geek inside me.

(And no, I'm not talking about the cannibalism thread! Sheesh, you people....)

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kepler's Puppet
Shipmate
# 4011

- Posted      Profile for Kepler's Puppet   Email Kepler's Puppet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my! 50.4931 = Super Geek (better start gaming to bring up the score)

And I am rather fond of spinach.

--------------------
Most Likely Lurking

Posts: 1447 | From: Dixie Land | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alas, I am only a Major Geek.

Total Geek.

Then again, I am a technical writer.

How many of you know who Jakob Nielsen is? Or care?

How many know what a MIF file is?

Wrote his first computer program in 11th Grade? Back in 1970. Using paper tape and a TTY on a dial-up to MacAuto.

Know what RPN is? And prefer it.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one in horror at the power games involved because of SPINACH? [Disappointed] I'm afraid the victory will only be short lived and your children will wreak terrible and exact revenge on you because of it. And you will rue the day you ever started this battle because your children WILL win. It is inevitable.

I talk from experience...

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Posts: 779 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shall I just say that I got over 60%. And that was because the test had such huge sections on D&D, role play games and comics. Not all geeks are into that stuff. If it had tested me on computers then I would have scored quite a bit higher.

But anyway, that is beside the point. Laura, which did you force your children to eat spinach? Do they get to force you to eat food that you don't like?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Weed
Shipmate
# 4402

- Posted      Profile for Weed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
But anyway, that is beside the point. Laura, which did you force your children to eat spinach? Do they get to force you to eat food that you don't like?

"Oxalic acid is this same oxalic acid that gives spinach its slightly bitter taste, which is prized by some while others find it off-putting, another issue with kids. The taste buds of the young haven’t fully matured, and processing even slightly bitter flavors can be a shocking and unforgettable experience." From this site.

Forcing your children to eat something that they cannot help finding deeply unpleasant doesn't, however, make you a Nazi, Laura, you'll be pleased to know. For further details on nazism and the frightening rise in neo-nazism today, see, for example, the Anti-Nazi League site.

--------------------
Weed

Posts: 519 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a different problem with kids at meal times.

I have three daughters. Rebecca, age 7, Bethany age 6 and her twin sister Rochelle.

Rebecca will eat anything - except cheese. Bethany will eat anything - except mushrooms.
Rochelle will eat anything other than beans, chips, fish fingers, tomato ketchup, burgers and most other junk food.

Getting them to eat vegetables is all too easy - they ask for them!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do, I feel like a failure as a Father, I cannot get my kids to pig out on junk food. [Disappointed]

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

- Posted      Profile for MrPiccolo   Author's homepage   Email MrPiccolo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
18% I'm either a geek failure [Frown] : or a well-adjusted individual with a social life! [Big Grin]
MrP

--------------------
"..Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and broken hallelujah." Jeff Buckley, quoting Leonard Cohen.

Posts: 436 | From: Leeds | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cocktailgirl

mixer of the drinks
# 8684

- Posted      Profile for cocktailgirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurrah! Only 3% geek (maybe because I didn't understand most of the questions in the test).

Laura: my mum used to pay my sister to eat peas. Have you thought of going down that route?

Posts: 841 | From: in hac lacrimarum valle, propping up the bar | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Less Geeky than you Mr Piccolo: 15.58%. That probably disqualifies me from using BB's and the rest. I'm sure it explains why I need help with my PC and couldn't assist chive to get the right version of java for her PC (Monday or Tuesday I think. Hope I'm off your deathlist chive [Biased] )

re: Children and spinach. You can blame Papa Bush for that. He was and presumably still is famously anti-spinach and got into a scrape with the US Spinach Growers Association (or whatever it is called) for saying so.

I think his tirade went:
"I hated spinach when I was a boy and I was forced to eat it. I was told 'It's broccoli dear' but I knew it was spinach. Now I am president no one is going to tell me to eat it."

What Barabara thought about that I never found out.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
...torture them with some mashed swede.

Can you DO that? Isn't it a violation of the Geneva Convention? [Eek!]

Besides, the Swedes aren't really all that obnoxious. I can think of better candidates, as groups, for mashing.

Why, thank you Rossweisse!

No mashing today then. [Big Grin]

Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Padingtun Bear.

Bear of Very Little Brain
# 3935

- Posted      Profile for Padingtun Bear.   Email Padingtun Bear.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh - 56%. That makes me an extreme geek, but probably only because of a highly introverted upbringing, literary parents and a masters in Physics. Plus, I married a geek, so that helps.

I can't be the only one that finds spinach just a little bitter? I remember with passion that day I promised myself that I'd never eat anything I didn't want to, ever again. I was 18, and had just left home! No spinach since then...

I still do resent my mum a bit telling me 'Well, life isn't fair sweetie' when I complained about being made to wash up/eat spinach/eat prawns/clean bathrooms* (*delete as applicable). It was true, but that didn't mean it had to be true in our house.

--------------------
Shameless publicity for a great new book:
A voice from the fringe

Posts: 961 | From: South Oxfordshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only once remember refusing to eat something. It was a spaghetti dish of some sort, but the sauce had a smell and flavour that I just could not injest. My dad did the "you will sit here until you eat this" routine. He went from upset to angry to fuming, but I just couldn't do it. He finally threatened spanking, so I took a few bites and then [Projectile] . I was THEN spanked and brought out for family Bible study time. I have only smelled something similar to that dish once since then, and I immediately started gagging.

But my dad was the ultimate food Nazi. On several occasions he would force my sister and I to eat hot peppers without the aid of any "cooling" devices. If we cried, refused, or otherwise protested, we were spanked. I also used to love ketchup, so much so that I would eat it by itself. He once gave me a large spoonful of hot sauce and told me it was ketchup.

Anybody want his phone number? I'm sure he could explain the fine art of getting your children to eat anything, anytime, anywhere. [Snigger]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've mostly avoided food fights. Mostly. But there are other possibilities for parental fascism. Flashback:

The Amosling, aged three is playing in the bathtub. She pours a mug of water over the book I am trying to read. I hoick her out of the tub, wrap her in a towel, and head for her room. Furiously she squinches up her little face, sticks out her bottom lip and says: ' Mother, I am like Jesus suffering on the cross. And you, Mother, are like Adolf Hitler.'

Nowadays I'm known as the Collar Fetishist and Makeup Nazi. As in 'Please straighten your collar, or do you want me to do it? One of your pocket-flaps needs to be untucked.' 'Please go into the bathroom and take off half of that eyeliner. Neatly.'

Laura, yours aren't yet at the 'Have you eaten any breakfast?' stage yet, are they? And being boys, they may never be.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gently fry finely chopped onions in a little oil and curry powder. Add spinach and fry ditto. Once it starts to go limp add a couple of beaten eggs and chick peas. Serve with cous-cous or rice. Works a treat on my lot and they're confirmed green veg haters.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Less Geeky than you Mr Piccolo: 15.58%. That probably disqualifies me from using BB's and the rest. I'm sure it explains why I need help with my PC and couldn't assist chive to get the right version of java for her PC (Monday or Tuesday I think. Hope I'm off your deathlist chive [Biased] )

Sioni: I scored higher than you at 16.96252% (love the spurious accuracy) - but you're a computer techie, so how can you possibly score less than me??? If there hadn't been all the Star Trek stuff, I doubt I would have even reached Geek status - must be my advancing years [Frown]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Sioni: I scored higher than you at 16.96252% (love the spurious accuracy) - but you're a computer techie, so how can you possibly score less than me??? If there hadn't been all the Star Trek stuff, I doubt I would have even reached Geek status - must be my advancing years [Frown]
I work in IT but I'm on the Information side of things, not the Technology! QR and Testing are my specialities.

Your Star Trek stuff may well have taken you over the Geek threshold. The only one I could answer was the "Name 5 characters" and I got those from the bridge crew of the original series. I don't like SF and detest Hobbitism so I only scored a bare Geek through quizzes and trivia.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a spinach hater, but a Good Girl™ (believe it or not), so would struggle to get a few mouthfuls down. It didn't help that my mum grew her own, let it grow really, really old, and didn't wash it properly, so it was bitter AND gritty.

Fast forward to about 20 years later and I'm happily eating spinach and assorted other spinach-like leaves (I think one of them is rape, or possibly chard, and another is cassava leaves), but with onion and tomato. The (Tanzanian) cook on hearing how my mum used to cook spinach throws up her hands in horror and says "Well that's not too surprising! Everyone knows children don't like spinach cooked like that! It's horrible!"

I'll now eat it quite happily if it's cooked nicely, but still won't eat my mum's...

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dogwatch
Shipmate
# 5226

- Posted      Profile for dogwatch   Author's homepage   Email dogwatch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Spinach is very good for you. The University of Arkansas says so."

"So what? We don't live in Arkansas!"

--------------------
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Posts: 83 | From: Wrecked at Ezion Geber | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember the last time I ate spinach. It sure wasn't by choice. Foul stuff.

Then again, I don't eat lettuce, cucumber, cauliflower, sprouts or cabbage either. About the only vegetables I eat on a regular basis are potatoes and carrots, though I'm partial to the odd parsnip or mashed swede (sorry Light [Biased] ) occasionally.

As to the "dinner wars", my parents gave up very quickly. I guess it helped that my brother loved all that stuff, so he got more greens and I got more tatties and carrots [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016