homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: High vs Low, AC vs EP, (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: High vs Low, AC vs EP,
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do we use these terms to mean, please?

I know how I use them.

AC - refers to full scale tat, and a fairly catholic view of communion

ac - refers to moderate tat, and a catholic view of communion.

EP - refers to attitude to communion, liturgy etc.

High and Low - I use with reference to communion, and the model of leadership.

Angel

[ 10. March 2003, 01:47: Message edited by: Erin ]

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which isn't exactly the same as how I'd use them.

To me, Anglo-Catholic is about the level of ceremony in the service - so incense etc.

Catholic is more about spirituality and the view that God made the world and so that world is to be celebrated not despised.

High is primarily about Sacramental theology, but also includes liturgy - but without the ritual of A-Cism.

Low is again about Sacramental theology and liturgy, and often overlaps with Evangelical but not always. (For example I'd probably say that while the Welsh congregation at Llanbadarn were low, but non-evangelical).

Evangelical [struggles to be objective, having had bad experiences] implies things about attitude to Bible, tends to be low sacramentally and non-liturgical. Also the world is something which we escape from, not something to be celebrated.

Well that's my attempt to capture the connotations those words have for me.

So I'm a high and Catholic Anglican without being Anglo-Catholic.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Weslian
Shipmate
# 1900

- Posted      Profile for Weslian   Email Weslian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This concern with labelling strikes me as a peculiarly Anglican thing. Certainly the labels mentioned seem to have an Anglican origin.

As a non-Anglican, non-evangelical I don't fit with any of them, and don't particularly want a label as such.

--------------------
Sex, Shopping, Work, Christian Doctrine, Entertainment, Art, Sport.

Posts: 563 | From: somewhere too posh for my own good | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Weslian has a point, but the same groupings do apply in non-anglican churches. That is why I prefer the terms Evangelical, Traditionalist and Liberal, which ( to me ) indicate where authority lies ( Bible, History, Experience - very simplistically ). These divisions are found in Baptist and Methodist churches, just as much as Anglican.

Then I would use High and Low to describe the style and form of worship, which includes attitudes to communion etc. So High would place a high value of communion, and might therefore surround the service with lots of ceremony. Low would place a high value on community and fellowship.

AC would generally define traditional high, wheras EP would generally define evangelical low. But all combinations are, in fact, possible. I think.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weslian - yet it came out as being needed when discussing the conversations between the methodist church and the anglican church, to differentiate where the methodist church fits, and to realise that it's not a homogenous group.

as for traditional, evangelical, liberal - none of these fit my churchmanship.

Angel

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Same here; to me, scripture, tradition and experience interweave in my understanding of my faith, I can't say I emphasise one above the other two.

quote:
Certainly the labels mentioned seem to have an Anglican origin.

Do they? Anglo-Catholic is probably the only specifically Anglican one. Catholic and Evangelical certainly have a wider meaning (and non-Anglican origin) and as Angel's said high and low came up in the Methodist-Anglican thread.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the Angel of the North:

Angel

Which is why I dislike using these labels of others. I don't generally use them unless I feel people take them to themselves.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dears. There has been simply too much talk about ac and ep and h and l and - and all the while tat is being neglected.

I think we should get back to the central overweeningly important aspects of organised religion, such as 'Who wore rose on Gaudete Sunday'.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
My dears. There has been simply too much talk about ac and ep and h and l and - and all the while tat is being neglected.

I think we should get back to the central overweeningly important aspects of organised religion, such as 'Who wore rose on Gaudete Sunday'.

i would say that it isn't talked about enough, and that the latter belongs on another thread

Angel

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Shame, shame, Coot! I only asked that silly question because of the tat addiction on this board.

Actually, I do not know that there is a definition for any of these terms today, for all that the lines may have been drawn more clearly a century ago. (I agree that this is an "Anglican thing," particularly because, as far as I know, ours is the only sister church where we glory in that some of us are very Protestant, others very Catholic.) My own definition once would have been that the difference between Catholic and Evangelical was mainly one of emphasis rather than essential belief, and that the former's would be more sacramental, the latter purely scriptural.

However, that was before I joined this forum... quite honestly, though I'm still Anglican and still consider myself very Catholic, and love very formal liturgy (though I am not all that much one for tat), I don't know what definition would even fit myself any longer.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hello Carys, greetings from another high and Catholic (as opposed to high and mighty!) Anglican. I used to be what they call 'middle of the road' but then the goalposts changed, I suppose partly with the rise in informality.

However, although I would not call my churchmanship liberal, it's more of a personal thing: I would describe my approach to Christianity as liberal. Whether everyone else in my church is liberal I am not so sure.

So for me, the high-low definition describes the church; but the liberal, fundamentalist, etc labels describe more how we as individuals think about our faith.

Does this make sense to anyone, or do you think 'liberal' can sometimes be applied to whole churches?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. I thought as we already had:
'Evangelicalism/Protestantism for beginners'
'High Church, low church, no church'
'Anglocatholicism for beginners'
the subject would have been milked dry by now. Hmmmm.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a problem. I want a simple term to describe the approach to worship of my father. You get low and high Anglicans but what of other denominations?

My father is protestant, reformed, or calvinist. He is a continental evanglelical without being a British one. That is to say that he is his theology over liturgy is main stream English (maybe slightly on the liberal side of British) Calvinism.

However it is putting together a phrase to incorporates his approach to this worship in that alludes me. I have tried 'High Calvinism' which got me into trouble as he is not that sort of Calvinist. I tried 'High Church Calvinist' which as in England there are Calvinists whose worship would be familiar to High Anglicans, with slightly differing wording, also causes problems. Main stream approach does not take kindly to overt ritual.

What is so distinctive is the care with which he approaches the ritual of reformed worship. It is an approach that is very exacting though not exhibitionist at all. For instance when I was a child one year we were driven to distraction one year trying to find charcoal grey V-neck jumpers.

Any suggestions for phrases?

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say I am Liberal Catholic. So I value Scripture, Tradition and Reason in a fairly Catholic, but Liberal sense. I am also Post-Modern, that means I do not approach Scripture, Reason or Tradition in a scientific manner.

So I am Post Modern Liberal Anglican Catholic, or Pomolianca for short.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister - Can you elaborate a little on 'middle of the road', please.

thanks

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
Hm. I thought as we already had:
'Evangelicalism/Protestantism for beginners'
'High Church, low church, no church'
'Anglocatholicism for beginners'
the subject would have been milked dry by now. Hmmmm.

On which threads terms were thrown around with gay abandon, and no one thought what they actually meant, and how each of us was using them.

Angel

Fiddleback
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

thanks

The three traditional defining characteristics of 'Middle of the Road' Anglicanism are traditionally Matins, Masons and Old Maids which may shew why it is becoming an increasingly rare phenomenon. A more modern symptom of this style of 'churchmanship' might be the dreaded "All Age Family Service' (catering for all ages from 65 to 90) on the last Sunday of the month. What does Middle of the Roat Anglicanism stand for? Bugger all, diddly squit, zilch. All it means is " We don't know what we believe, we don't want to believe in it anyway, and we don't care".

IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

thanks

hello again!, back from my crimbo 'bug' and busyness: 'MOTR'= in the Church of England there is a large number of churches who call themselves 'central', ie. not at the extremes of evangelicalism or a-c but in the 'middle' - some argue this group is getting smaller and smaller now as people tend to polarise towards evangelical or a-c. The type of church which was called central when I was younger is seen as too popish by the low church and too low by the a-c's! so I feel the goalposts have changed as they try to become more acceptable to the others and have lost faith in their own distinctiveness and viability. It is interesting to read the blurb on the Affirming Catholicism website: http://www.affirmingcatholicism.org.uk
which claims to hold the middle ground, but not all would agree with this.

There, now Miffy, and you expected a simple answer!!

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Fiddleback. Please ignore my classification of myself in MW's Insense thread. I might be middle-aged, but no way am I middle of the road!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Middle of the Road Anglicanism was the Eucharist in surplice and stole.It sometimes can be choral.
I do not think somehow - having read S3's post - that I am Post-Modern....
however I take on board what he says about Scripture Reason and Tradition....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry.....but on second thoughts,perhaps surplice and stole is the low side of middle?
I have also been known to like Mattins on occasion

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

what Fiddleback calls 'middle of the road' regarding 'all age family service' I would call 'evangelical', so it looks like we are still all in a muddle!

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would describe our Parish as MOTR.

We attract a wide range of churchpersonships, from Evangelical to Traditional to Anglo-Catholic, who all seem to co-exist with our emphasis on good children's work, all age worship* and multisensory worship#. We have a Family service once a month~

We are growing.

Some people would (have) describe(d) us as Liberal Catholic, although I know many congregants would balk at this label. The clergy all represent the catholic wing of the CofE, although other people strongly involved in the ministry of the church are from a lower church background.

This to me is what being a Parish church is all about. Those who want the "Extremes" have plenty of options in the city.

*All ages are involved in the service, in the choir, as servers, etc. No-one dresses up as superman, although when all our clergy are fully coped one does wonder.

#We have stained glass, congregational and choral music, bells, nice vestments, and we try to make the play smell nice. Sometimes with flowers, sometimes with smoke.

~ This works due to the skill of those who do it. The sermon is usually replaced with an alternative communication method which normally manages to engage everyone, we use a simpler creed, and one of the shorter(ish) Eucharistic prayers.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that celebrating the Holy Communion in surplice and stole is definitely low, rather than middle of the road these days. "Middle" generally means vestments, or at least the dreaded cassock-alb.

However, I suppose a lot depends on the area. If it were in Rochester Diocese, OLSP, Primrose Hill would be screamingly high. In the Edmonton area of the London Diocese it is distinctly low, as it only uses an Anglican rite and has no Roman features. This is with a High Mass with incense every Sunday!

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

quote:
Originally posted by the Angel of the North:
On which threads terms were thrown around with gay abandon, and no one thought what they actually meant, and how each of us was using them.
Orright Angel, I concede. We hungry little piglets have not yet sucked dry the teat of churchmanship classification.

Anglican Low church as identified by dress, I think can range from alb and stole, surplice and stole, surplice and tippet, and suits with clerical collar or collar crosses can sneak in provided they include most of the prayer book liturgy.

There is in Australian Canon Law what is known as 'Surplice relief' - this is the minimum standard of dress that a bishop can insist on the priests under his oversight wearing. That is, a surplice only. It may be worn over an ordinary suit. I'm not sure what would be thought of a priest wearing a surplice to the exclusion of all else, but I'm sure some fantasise about it when the weather is hot enough.

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by Sarum Sleuth:
I "Middle" generally means vestments, or at least the dreaded cassock-alb.

No, cassock-alb suggests modern roman.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is meant by MOTR depends, of course, one where one is standing and the breadth of one's vision.

In the Western tradition the whole of the Anglican Church can be seen as MOTR, as it stands between the Roman Catholic Church and the more fully protestant Baptist, Presbyterian (and other) Churches. Anglo-Catholics can be regarded as MOTR because they stand between the RC Church and the broad sweep of the Anglican Church. Within the Protestant tradition Low Church Anglicans can be seen as MOTR as they stand between the broad sweep of the Anglican Church and the more fully protestant Churches (partly they are suffering from moving goalposts).

The 1662 BCP can be regarded as MOTR because it is a Protestant prayer book with many Roman Catholic influences.

The language of the BCP and the King James Bible can be viewed as MOTR because it is neither the traditional language of the Church (Latin) not contemporary English.

Of course, this situation is not unique to the Anglican Church, shipmates will be aware that there are groups who do not regard the Pope as a "proper" Catholic (the Pope MOTR, anyone!).

So how to identify MOTR Anglicanism? A few suggestions (and these are only suggestions): -

Holy Communion as the usual service, but no "smells and bells"
Mattins as the usual service (probably too low).
Priest in alb and stole, no use of other vestments etc.
Entrance procession and recession, but no gospel procession.
Acolytes but no thurifer.

MOTR Anglicanism is, of course, as valid a tradition as any other.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between AC and ac ? I just about thought I had got the hang of what an anglo catholic christian was and then this .

Can someone expound the difference please - more than one opinion welcome . It's probably above but I can't find it amongst all the other 'anglo talk' (I just can't follow it at all).

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, chorister, for plugging the affirming catholicism website - I am the webkeeper! I don't think the 'middle ground' referred to is the same as 'middle of the road' anglicanism. It is, perhaps, more to do woith a middle ground between Roman and Anglican positions. In former days, the catholic movement within the Church of England had (at least) two strands: one used the Roman rite and ceremonies, outlined in books like Ritual Notes, published by Watts & Co.; the other was often known as 'prayer book catholic' because it kept to authorised liturgies and followed ceremonies laid down by Pearcy Dearmer's 'The Parson's Handbook'. Affirming Catholicism is nearer to prayer book catholicism in tone, though, of course, using mnore up to date liturgy.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Indeed Leo, must Liberal Catholic or Affirming Catholic parishes would tend to use Common Worship, and generally the more Roman (Ecumenical?) Eucharistic shape.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I used ac rather than AC because I was lazy and didn't bother to hit the CAps key. However it got me thinking that it's probably the same difference as between Catholic and catholic or Evangelical and evangelical: the capitals seem to denote how much it matters to you over and above everything else, whether the particular practices and beliefs matter a big deal compared with other practices and beliefs. People who are more easy going would use the small letters, the more dogmatic the CAPITALS. e.g. (maybe?) DEFINITELY!

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would describe modern MOTR as Eucharist main service, vestments but no incense etc. But that's probably just the way I was brung up. In fact it's probably pretty high for Lincolnshire now let alone in the 1970s.

The terms high and low have also changed over time, and not simply up and down the scale. Until the tractarian and evangelical movements of the C19th it was more to do with politics and the role of the Church in society than our idea of churchmanship. Have a look at your Barchester Chronicles. Archdeacon Grantleigh is described as high but I doubt you could tell the difference between him and Obadiah Slope when they're dressed for church.

The churchmanship which has all but disappeared is traditional low (formal mattins as the main service) leaving older people like my parents high and dry (especially if they like BCP too). Bath Abbey is one of the few churches I've seen that does it with no sense of embarrassment.

Those who want to see the strange sight of a surplice over a suit could try Christ Church, Oxford, where it seems to be the chapel dress of the students (lay dons).

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

when I went to Bath Abbey I was amazed to see the church almost full for traditional Mattins (a Summer Sunday), most other churches I have been to which still have Mattins the numbers are rather low. How common is it still to retain Mattins?, most Anglican churches high/low/otherwise all seem to prefer the Eucharist/ Communion/Mass nowadays.

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

Yes,I've been to Bath Abbey too,Chorister.In fact it is the Eucharist that doesn't seem well attended on Sunday.
I think Bath Abbey may well be a bit unusual now although it wouldn't have been so unusual 20 or 30 years ago.....
It took me by surprise at the time I will admit.....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's so unusual that the Abbey has been finding it very difficult to find a new rector. I don't know whether they've succeeded now, but it was vacant for getting on for two years.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bath Abbey is a particular case - its patrons are the Simeon's Trust, a conservative evangelical body. They know that, with a big church like that, they cannot go 100% along the party line. Gowever, they tolerate surplice and stoles providing that the clergy are 'sound'; in their preaching.

You realise the patronage on occasions like Christmas eve, when the abbey's doors stay locked when some are looking for a midnight mass.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Bath Abbey is a particular case - its patrons are the Simeon's Trust, a conservative evangelical body. They know that, with a big church like that, they cannot go 100% along the party line. Gowever, they tolerate surplice and stoles providing that the clergy are 'sound'; in their preaching.

You realise the patronage on occasions like Christmas eve, when the abbey's doors stay locked when some are looking for a midnight mass.

But my church is also a Simeon Trust patronage, and we have always had a First Communion of Christmas on Christmas Eve. We have also had dressed up clergy for a long time, although that is changing ( not because of trustee influence ).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[biretta on]

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
the dreaded "All Age Family Service' (catering for all ages from 65 to 90) on the last Sunday of the month. What does Middle of the Road Anglicanism stand for? Bugger all, diddly squit, zilch. All it means is " We don't know what we believe, we don't want to believe in it anyway, and we don't care".

Two things, stop banging on about All Age Worship. Next time take it to Hell where you have a really good whinge about it.

Might be good idea not to be quite so insulting about other groups within the church. It is most definitely not allowed. You have come pretty close to breaking the Third Commandment:

Attack the issue, not the person
Name-calling and personal insults are not allowed, regardless of the context.

This applies to identifiable groups as well as individuals.

An apology would definitely be in order.

[biretta off]

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I do not know wjhat rules the Simen Trustees operate. They used to insist that Holy communion was celebrated from the North end of the communion table. Perhaps issues like midnight mass are down to ther sort of clergy they appoint.

Re- all age worship, it is not something I enjoy but I have to admit that my church's normal choral eucharist attracts a radio 3 or 4 typle clientele whereas the majority of people are in the Radio 1 category and that when we have a monthly all-age eucharist the church is packed. Is the church a club for the like-minded and middle class or is it an evangelistic organisation?

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

Last time I was at the Abbey - and it is some time ago - I think the Eucharist was eastward-facing,but I might be wrong.At any rate I got the impression of a MOTR service;it didn't seem obviously low to me,at least not in the way that Holy Trinity was obviously a teensy-weensy bit High...

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Fiddleback
unregistered

OK Miss Bear, and just whom do you think that I have insulted? There are no 'MOTR' Anglicans under the age of 75, so the likelihood of any of them actually having unpacked their Imacs and switched them on this soon after Crimbo, let alone logging in to Ship of Fools is extremely remote. Even Choristyer has disowned the MOTR. Why on earth shouldn't we discuss the abominations of "All Age 'Family' Worship" on this board? I thought this board was about worship, after all.

And don't you think that ypour assuming an item of headgear, no matter hopw virtual, that you have no right to wear just a tiny bit insulting to us Neanderthals who take such things seriously?

(lowly-contributorly pink jogging suit off)

Fiddleback
unregistered

And wait just a minute.... I attacked Middle of the Road Anglicanism, which is an issue, rather than Middle of the Road Anglicans who are an idewntifiable group anyway.
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Labels, labels, labels. How we get into trouble when we insist on labelling everything.

Why don't we try this: Describe what you like/do, and then give each of the items in the description a number. Then, you can just join the numbers and describe it perfectly.

e.g.

Tat - Need it - 1
Like it a lot - 2
It's OK - 3
Lose it - 4
Bible - Strict interpretation - 10
Not so strict - 11
Just a guideline - 12
etc...

then you can say, for example, 3,10,...

Saves time, keystrokes and confusion.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

...or even 2,11...
Hang on....does that make me MOTR???!!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pah! Count yourself lucky, Stephen Boyo - I'm a 3,11.5 and in serious danger of being run over.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

There's just no answer to that!!!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that make "Chick" of "Chick Tract" infamy a 7-11 (standing on the corner of the road, peaching at passers-by)?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Would that make "Chick" of "Chick Tract" infamy a 7-11 (standing on the corner of the road, peaching at passers-by)?

Peaching??? Sounds like a hairier version of mooning. Try preaching instead.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

I think the redoubtable Fr.Chick would be a 9,10?

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
How common is it still to retain Mattins?

I can think of 2 parishes in Washington that Mattins on alternate Sundays.

St David's is one. The use of the word "traditional" is interesting:

quote:
Most people are curious about the worship style of parishes. We at Saint David’s are unabashedly “traditional.” That means
we enjoy the more formal worship style and music in a broad church context. Our beautiful buildings lend a stateliness to our
services. Our services follow the prayer forms of both Rite I and Rite II in The Book of Common Prayer. We enjoy the rich
Hymnody of our Anglican/Episcopal heritage. We have vested choirs of all ages and continue to offer Morning Prayer as a
principal service on two Sundays a month. In other words, we offer a familiar atmosphere for the many of us raised in that
fashion.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016