homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: BNP make a good point? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: BNP make a good point?
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the BNP web site . The BNP in reponse to a letter from the 'Holy men of Manchester' telling people not to vote BNP have said

quote:
There is no greater hypocrisy than remaining silent about the sins of your own religion whilst indulging in the petty politics of attacking parties such as the BNP that have no history of organising or inciting violence. More people have been murdered by religious bigots than any other kind in history.The moral high ground that these Holy men pontificate from is built upon a graveyard hiding the historical crimes of their blood soaked religions.
and

quote:
The BNP has been a political party only since 1982. The party has NEVER been involved in any political violence - unlike Sinn Fein and the I.R.A who take regular lunches with Tony Blair and have offices in the House of Commons and are to a considerable degree afforded protection by the catholic church.
and
quote:

We are dedicated to the democratic political process and public accountability - whilst each of these religions are merely fascistic structures based on enslaving their adherents and ensuring their own increased power. They are nothing more than fascists in their religious robes and frocks!

I think the BNP may have a good point it worries me.

[ 08. January 2006, 21:57: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, breathe easier. What they say about never being involved in political violence- that's a straight out lie.

I'll admit they occasionally have a mildly interesting way of trolling on their own website. All that shite about the church being a fascist organization.

Nah, f**k 'em. Death to the BNP.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lapsed heathen

Hurler on the ditch
# 4403

- Posted      Profile for lapsed heathen   Email lapsed heathen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best lies have a grain of truth. Whatever about the faults of the BNP critics, the critiscim is still valid.

--------------------
"We are the Easter people and our song is Alleluia"

Posts: 1361 | From: Marble county | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah. It's just anti-clericalism ... the hyper-Protestant vice. The BNP embrace any prejudice if it promotes their cause. Maybe they have read the Da Vinci Code too much. You can't sideline your own vice by highlighting someone else's.

I think they are referring to me (among many). I do hope so. I am quite chuffed! This is what I wrote ...

quote:
I am one of the speakers at the launch on 15 January representing a Christian viewpoint. The BNP has tried to rebrand itself as a viable opposition party. Its policies remain as extreme right wing and divisive as they ever have been. As far as asylum seekers are concerned ... imagine there is someone with a gun held to your head because, as a religious minority, you are no longer welcome in your village. You flee for the safety of your family. You come to this country and you are told that you have nothing to fear because "X" is a safe country. You are now in another country but extremely vulnerable still and subject to racial harrassment locally. Manchester has a proud tradition of independent thought and dissent. Historically it has stood by the poor and oppressed. Those of us who are working for racial harmony and justice hope to be numbered in that tradition. We are confident in the goodness and good sense of the people of this great city. We are standing up, being counted ... and we ain't going away.
Fr. Gregory Hallam, Levenshulme, Manchester
09/01/04 at 17:03

as a comment on this article ...

Corrie Stars back Campaign Against BNP

amongst these other comments ...

Comments.

I think this just about says it all ...

quote:
The BNP are getting my vote next June. They speak out for the majority of white people in this country.
Dave, Manchester
08/01/04 at 21:36

For more information about MAR (Manchester Against Racism) go here ...

Manchester Against Racism

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:

I think they are referring to me (among many).

I think they are referring to the letter quoted on their website.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they start by claiming that the church is siloent on the issue of our past sins. That's not true. Then they contrast this supposed fascistic hypocrisy with their own umblemished record of peaceful community building, democratic engagement and full accountability, when in fact they are an organization that has consistently used street violence in the pursuit of political goals, are demonstrably anti-democratic, and have never told the truth about a) their fascist ideology and b) their contemptible record of law breaking.

They've parroted what might, in the mouth of a real person, be at least some grounds for debate; but it's not criticism I'll accept from that pack of thugs.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
only a party since 1982? that is rather odd. i was watching a dvd of original "are you being served?" episodes last night (one of the funniest tv shows ever made imho), and caught a humerous reference to "the bnp", which from context certainly seemed to be refering to the british national party. "are you being served?" was made in the middle 70s. was there a precursor of the organization that existed before, but wasn't technically a party? and if so, does their claim to have never taken part in violence still hold good?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow Peppone! Spot on. Fantastic. [Overused] The BNP is utterly, utterly despicable. They are trying again to build on fear ... as are so many nowadays. Their pretty little persecution complex is laughable. Don't they understand the political process? Churchill said that the price of freedom was eternal vigilance. Wake up UK. The fascists are back. They may have shiny new clothes but the sepulchral stench is within the white facade, as it always has been.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

... sorry for the double post ...

... and of course they know sod all about Christianity as they seem to think that "Catholic" and "Christian" are alternative designations and they think that we should atone for our own sins. Repent certainly, not atone. Anyway I digress ...

[ 10. January 2004, 14:52: Message edited by: Fr. Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Genie
Shipmate
# 3282

- Posted      Profile for Genie   Email Genie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it may be worse than that. I was talking to a BNP member on a political newsgroup recently about the context of asylum seekers, and she mentioned that she was a Christian because "it is part of the traditional culture of the British Isles and it has served us well". Once I'd finished vomiting I wrote back questioning whether she really meant that and that she should be ashamed of herself for claiming to follow a religion whilst trampling wholesale over virtually all of it's teachings about loving your neighbour and not oppressing the alien. Her only response was to quote that passage where Jesus says he comes only to the lost sheep of Israel and to call me a piece of leftist filth.

I don't think it's merely them ignorant of and opposed to Christianity. I think there is a major misunderstanding of Christianity that leads them to believe that the Church should be on their side which is why they are angry and disappointed that the Church rightly opposes them. What makes me sad is that there is a historical shred of truth in the actions of some Churches throughout the years in perpetuating the concept that church is for nice 'middle class white people'.

--------------------
Alleluia, Christ is risen!

Posts: 762 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amphibalus

Cloak of anonymity
# 5351

- Posted      Profile for Amphibalus   Email Amphibalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could I make two comments, please?

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
The BNP has been a political party only since 1982.

So the B*P have nothing whatsoever to do with - in any way, shape, or form, in any guise, or in any context, nor are descended from, nor had any connection with - the erstwhile National Front, then?

quote:
Originally posted by Genie:
Her only response was to quote that passage where Jesus says he comes only to the lost sheep of Israel...

Might this not be a discreet reference to the 'British Israelite' beliefs which so many of these extreme right-wing organizations espouse in some form or another?

--------------------
I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fook’s
Going to get a big dish of beef chow mein. (Warren Zevon)

Posts: 1471 | From: Home of Ronnie Radford's boot | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve O
Apprentice
# 5258

- Posted      Profile for Steve O   Email Steve O   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst having no time for the BNP or its racist views, they have more than a "shred" of evidence to back up their views. History is indeed littered with the corpses of those sacrificed in the name of religion, but actually for the benefit of the Church/State. To "bless" a war or struggle as "Holy", as the "will of God", is to confer on it the highest accolade, and has been done many times to further the interests of Church/State.

It is an eternally sad and depressing fact that religion and politics are twisted to conform to the greed , hatreds and selfish nature of humanity, we should expect no different, and readily admit our "Guilt" whilst still condemning the practices of others who propagate the same.

Posts: 32 | From: Leicester, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flying_Belgian
Shipmate
# 3385

- Posted      Profile for Flying_Belgian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The media have uncovered numerous instances of BNP candidates having previous convictions for violent offences, and racial crimes. In just the same way that (I believe) some Sinn Fein politicians have links with terrorist organisations, and even convictions.

The BNP have a clever habit of turning up somewhere, fermenting racial tensions and then claiming its got nothing to do with them.

And yes, the BNP was a national front offshoot.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I am so going to regret this...)

quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:
Well, they start by claiming that the church is siloent on the issue of our past sins. That's not true. Then they contrast this supposed fascistic hypocrisy with their own umblemished record of peaceful community building, democratic engagement and full accountability, when in fact they are an organization that has consistently used street violence in the pursuit of political goals, are demonstrably anti-democratic, and have never told the truth about a) their fascist ideology and b) their contemptible record of law breaking.

Since we're in Purg, do you have a link to back up these claims?

quote:
They've parroted what might, in the mouth of a real person, be at least some grounds for debate; but it's not criticism I'll accept from that pack of thugs.
Sorry Peppone, but I refuse to accept the implication that BNP supporters aren't "real people". Say "misguided", or just plain "wrong" if you want, but don't try to dehumanise them in order to make it easier to hate them. That's exactly what they do.

[damn speling]

[ 10. January 2004, 19:04: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally bleated and bullshitted by some fascists

whilst each of these religions are merely fascistic structures based on enslaving their adherents and ensuring their own increased power. They are nothing more than fascists in their religious robes and frocks!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In as much as they are BNP members/ supporters they are less human than they would otherwise be. Such is the nature of sin.

On another point, interesting though this thread is, there is no point at all in arguing with fascists. Fascism is an ideology which glorifies the irrational and instinctual, which (in its more cerebal forms) defines itself in absolute opposition to the Enlightenment project. It cannot be argued with precisely because it does not establish itself by means of argument. The only way to beat fascism is to falsify it in practice, to show that it is irrelevant to the real needs of people. And the churches have consistently been at the forefront of this struggle. I recommend the Jubilee Group's excellent pamphlet about the response of local churches to the BNP's victory in the Isle of Dogs by-election.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin - The BNP's beliefs are sickening, their actions are verminous, their ideaology is Fascistic, their lies about themseleves are truly moronic, their lies about everyone else are so breathtaking disgusting that they make me want to vomit. They are proud to own them.

You know, a bloke called William James said something very interesting once. He said "the line between what is me and what is mine is very hard to draw".

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Peppone
Marine
# 3855

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
(I am so going to regret this...)

quote:
they are an organization that has consistently used street violence in the pursuit of political goals, are demonstrably anti-democratic, and have never told the truth about a) their fascist ideology and b) their contemptible record of law breaking.

Since we're in Purg, do you have a link to back up these claims?

Well, it's a bltatantly ant-BNP website, but try this

Stop the BNP

and go to "Useful Articles" then "Armed Robbers, Hooligans and Nazis- The BNP has them all." It's not an article, just a list of BNP candidates and their convictions for crimes political and otherwise, and their links to fasist and nazi organizations.

In case you you don't have time, here are some highlights:

quote:
Kevin Scott (Gateshead – High Fell)
Was convicted in 1993 for throwing a glass at a black person. Writes articles for the fascist group, the International Third Position, and regularly posts on the National Front website.

Mark Collett (Leeds – Richmond Hill)
BNP Yorkshire organiser. Claims that Adolf Hitler is his hero and that he’d prefer to live in Nazi Germany rather than today’s Britain. Formerly in the National Front. Threatened a woman with sexual violence outside a council meeting in Halifax earlier this year.

Daniel Hannam (Hull – Orchard Park and Greenwood)
Hull BNP organiser. Was sent to prison in 2000 for producing and distributing racist and antisemitic leaflets. Distributed under the BNP banner, the leaflets called for all Jews to be expelled from Britain.

James Breslin (Bradford – Great Horton)
Another Bradford BNP activist with links to the White Nationalist Party. Was photographed selling nazi newspapers alongside Tony White. Currently in jail for distributing racist material to schoolchildren, in Pudsey last year.

Now, I'll allow it could all be made up, but I don't think so. Archival research of newspapers would, I believe, corroborate my statements about the BNP.

And you were right to call me on the "real person" remark. I withdraw it and apologize to any BNP member who may have read it and felt dehumanized.

[ 11. January 2004, 00:19: Message edited by: Peppone ]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Peppone generously conceded

And you were right to call me on the "real person" remark. I withdraw it and apologize to any BNP member who may have read it and felt dehumanized.

Yeah. They are real people. They are real people who happen to be exceptionally stupid, immoral and offensive. However, they should take responsibility for their actions like any body else.

If anyone from the BNP reads my remarks on this thread and feels I ought to apologise than tough shit. I haven't said you not a person, I said that you are the lowest of the f**king low.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
If anyone from the BNP reads my remarks on this thread and feels I ought to apologise than tough shit. I haven't said you not a person, I said that you are the lowest of the f**king low.

Hosting

That's out of line, Papio. The purpose of Purgatory is debate, not invective. By all means, support your views - and please bear in mind that this site is read internationally, by those without your local perspective.

Duo Seraphim
Purgatory Host

End Hosting

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Then I apologise to the hosts and other ship staff, as opposed to the BNP.

[ 11. January 2004, 04:18: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an American who never heard of the BNP.

I read the link and was immediately struck that the vicious counter-attack against religion did not even attempt a response to the specific issues raised by the clergy:

quote:
...misrepresentations about asylum seekers, refugees, racism and encouragement of anti-semitism and Islamophobia...
Those were the complaints. I heard them responding with, "it's a dirty lie that we promote violence: religions are more violent than we are." Huh? The churches said nothing about violence. Of course, I was immediately suspicious that the BNP might be vulnerable on the issue of violence. But I read their FAQs regarding the specific issues the clergy raised to see if there were any grounds for concern by the clergy.

quote:
Racism: "Racism" is when you ‘hate’ another ethnic group. We don't 'hate' black people, we don't 'hate' Asians, ...all we want to do is to preserve the ethnic and cultural identity of the British people...We are against mixed-raced relationships because we believe that all species and races of life on this planet are beautiful and must be preserved. When whites take partners from other ethnic groups, a white family line that stretches back into deep pre-history is destroyed.
Uh, that sounds *kinda* racist to me.

quote:
Asylum Seekers: The United Nations states that those forced to flee persecution to claim asylum should seek refuge in the first peaceful country they come to. On this basis, generally the internationally recognised one, we will not accept those seeking asylum apart from those fleeing the countries immediately surrounding Britain, such as Holland,Iceland, France, Norway, Germany, Belgium or Ireland.
Uh, Spain is next door and they wear kilts and play bagpipes in the North. Their skin is a little dark. Germany is not next door. I am suspecting racism again, and unfairness to asylum seekers on the basis of racism.

quote:
anti-Semitism and Islamophobia: The BNP takes no particular religious position...We are, however, opposed to the growth and increased militancy of the various Asiatic religions that have been brought to this country by mass immigration.
Uh, "the various Asiatic religions" sounds like it could indeed be Islam. I'd sure suspect them on Judaism as well on the basis of their stance for cultural and racial purity.

Reading the FAQs, you get a picture of a jingoistic party whose founding principle is racism. The religious clerics have a good point. It appears to me the BNP blew them off because it has no credible defense on racism, other than they claim they do not "hate" others; they simply see others as potential diluters of British blood and culture. Racial and cultural purity is indeed at the center of their policies.

Seems like the British KKK to me. I wouldn't put a bit of credence in their attack on religion. It was simply to deflect attention away from their blatantly racist positions, which the clergy oppose.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
More people have been murdered by religious bigots than any other kind in history.
Didn't we determine a while back that this just isn't true. If your looking for mass murderers that Stalin was more successful than the church?

quote:
We are, however, opposed to the growth and increased militancy of the various Asiatic religions that have been brought to this country by mass immigration.
That would include Christianity, then, brought here by the Romans.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
If your looking for mass murderers that Stalin was more successful than the church?

He was. And Hitler does pretty well in the murder league as well. The phenomenon of a fascist party accusing other organisations of being historically complicit in mass murder is beyond irony.

Certainly if the BNP take the standard fash line, they think Britain should have made a deal with Hitler and not fought World War II. They have given ideological shelter and support to Holocaust deniers. Altogether very nasty. And dangerous.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

- Posted      Profile for Nonpropheteer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I know nothing of the BNP or British politics, and only what Fr. Gregory would refer to as "protestant lies" regarding the Catholic church. Do you have any links to support BNP's "consistant street violence" and "contempltable law breaking"?
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the BNP doesn't tend to directly involve itself in such things. Instead members of the BNP can also be members of organisations that do this sort of thing, or carry out violent actions on their own time. But violence isn't part of BNP policy, instead they paint themselves as a respectable party. It is a bit similar to the relationship between Sinn Feinn and terrorism up until a few years ago.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

- Posted      Profile for Nonpropheteer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
He was. And Hitler does pretty well in the murder league as well. The phenomenon of a fascist party accusing other organisations of being historically complicit in mass murder is beyond irony.

Certainly if the BNP take the standard fash line, they think Britain should have made a deal with Hitler and not fought World War II. They have given ideological shelter and support to Holocaust deniers. Altogether very nasty. And dangerous.

Hitler made it clear in Mein Kampf that he believed he was doing God's work. Whether he was crazy or not doesn't change the fact that his mass murdering was done out of religion.
quote:
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

"I had so often sung 'Deutschland u:ber Alles' and shouted 'Heil' at the top of my lungs, that it seemed to me almost a belated act of grace to be allowed to stand as a witness in the divine court of the eternal judge and proclaim the sincerity of this conviction."

"Certainly we don't have to discuss these matters with the Jews, the most modern inventors of this cultural perfume. Their whole existence is an embodied protest against the aesthetics of the Lord's image."

"The best characterization is provided by the product of this religious education, the Jew himself. His life is only of this world, and his spirit is inwardly as alien to true Christianity as his nature two thousand years previous was to the great founder of the new doctrine. Of course, the latter made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross, while our present-day party Christians debase themselves to begging for Jewish votes at elections and later try to arrange political swindles with atheistic Jewish parties-- and this against their own nation."

I'm sure I could find several thousand links that all point to Catholic crimes over the centuries, including their support of the Nazi party and the 'fact' they helped so many Nazi war criminals escape at the end of WW II. I've even heard their link to the 9/11...

I'm not interested in what pro-BNP sites say, or what anti-BNP sites think. I want to know the "provable" truth not a bunch of crap from people who are just as bigoted [: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices] as those they claim are morally inferior.

Some of you are struggling so very hard to gloss over the sins of the Church and magnify the sins of the BNP [or whatever group you happen to be talking about at the time]. The attitude seems to be that any rumor or innuendo will do for a conviction of the BNP, but one must present irrefutable, hard boiled, cast iron, stainless steel, dyed in the wool, card carrying, Grade A, 100% truth when speaking against the Catholic church, especially if you want to accuse them of having erred in the past 30 years.

The fact is the catholic church is made up of many people from many cultures and races. The fact is that the Vatican is more of a political organization than a religious one. The fact is that any time you have an organization with political power, you will have those that are corrupt that will try to manipulate that power to their own ends, as has happened -and I'm sure is continuing to happen- in the Catholic church.

The response will be "Oh, yes, we admit the RCC has its share of problems, but they are exhaggerated by the 'enemies' of the church."

How do I know that the accusations against the church are exhaggerations? How do I know the accusations against the BNP are not?

Peppone
Marine
# 3855

quote:
Originally posted by nonpropheteer:
Do you have any links to support BNP's "consistant street violence" and "contempltable law breaking"?

Well, start with the link I posted above. It details the BNP's involvement in street violence and the law breaking of its members over the years.

If you mean, can I prove that it is official BNP policy to encourage street violence and break the law, then I cannot. However, the fact that it is fielding dozens of candidates who have been convicted of offences ranging from simple affray to distributing racist literature to schoolchildren (yes, illegal in the UK under our draconian public order legislation [Snore] ) confirms, for me at least, that they are a political organization which does not respect the law. I also believe that a reasonable observer may conclude that the BNP, while publicly denying it, regards street hooliganism as a campaigning tool, both as a method of suppressing opposition, and as a way of, as Mosley put it, "keeping the boys happy."

Then again, I'm biased. I'm an ideological anti-fascist. I see blackshirts under the bed every time I turn around.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I severely doubt there are any BNP members on board. If there were, I imagine we'd find out within their first three posts.

My take on the BNP position is: "we love other races, as long as they stay in their own damn countries." Not exactly all-embracing, is it?

Nightlamp's second quoted excerpt from their website:

quote:
The BNP has been a political party only since 1982. The party has NEVER been involved in any political violence - unlike Sinn Fein and the I.R.A who take regular lunches with Tony Blair and have offices in the House of Commons and are to a considerable degree afforded protection by the catholic church.
...is, I think, a good point. How 'bout we leave the BNP-bashing (OK, everyone who doesn't want to be seen as a racist has to hate them. I think we've established that) and explore at which point the political front for a terrorist organisation (Sinn Fein) can legitimately become part of the accepted establishment?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

Oh, and just to be clear- I'm not in any way trying to gloss over the sins of the RC, Anglican, or any other Christian church. Our sins are many and foul. We will answer for them. The BNP are a parochial hooligan organization located in a few areas of England. They make life miserable and dangerous, in a localized way, for numbers of non-white UK citizens. Arguably, Christian churches have done much worse.

I guess wha tI'm trying to say is, when the BNP attacks the Christian churches, it's not becuase they actually believe or care what the Church has done. It is a purely tactical action designed to enhance their campaign. It's analogous to Sinn Fein/ IRA criticising the British Army for failing to adhere to correct rules of engagement- firing without a prior shouted warning, for example- when of course the IRA itself did not adhere to similar rules, and knew it. It's just a tactic.

If we want to talk about the evil we Christians have worked, let's do it: but let's not take any shit from the BNP.

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

NP, the Mein Kampf quotation is out of context. Hitler was a self-professed atheist. His 'God', to whom he makes periodic reference, is a kind of fascist variation on the God of Spinoza - mystified Nature, the God who is blood and soil.

Catholicism v. fascism. Yes, the Church has been complicit in horrific attrocities over the course of history. But it's raison d'etre is not inherently destructive. Therein subsists the gulf that separates the most extreme Ratzingerite from the mildest fascist. Fascism is about the glorification of the nation, perpetual war, the triumph of the will. Its only historical legacy is a pile of corpses.

[ 11. January 2004, 14:57: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[opening tangent]
Reading this thread, I am even more convinced that vitriolic counterattacks are a sign of trying to hide something.
[/end opening tangent]

It seems that the BNP is publicly more "segregationist" than "supremacist." That is, they officially support "separate but equal policies" like the US Democratic party did in the South after the civil war. However, the environment of separatism for minorities was found by our courts to be inherently unequal, sending messages of inferiority to the minority and superiority to the majority, so those policies were declared unconstitutional. If the "separate but equal" policies of the Democratic Party did not explicitly spawn and sanction supremacist groups prone to terror and violence, it at least created an environment that allowed them to flourish. Neither did it show any real determination to weed out its members who were outspoken supremacists.

It appears that similar is happening today across the pond, and it's sad.

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hitler made it clear in Mein Kampf that he believed he was doing God's work. Whether he was crazy or not doesn't change the fact that his mass murdering was done out of religion.

Not the Christian God, mind. Rather a constructed pseudo-(neo-?)pagan idea of a "teutonic" faith. Weirdly, this doesn't actually contradict Divine Outlaw Dwarf's point. It's rather another facet of the weirdness that was Adolf Hitler.

quote:

I'm not interested in what pro-BNP sites say, or what anti-BNP sites think. I want to know the "provable" truth not a bunch of crap from people who are just as bigoted [: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices] as those they claim are morally inferior...

How do I know that the accusations against the church are exhaggerations? How do I know the accusations against the BNP are not?

Question 1: Can't help you on that point. I don't know either.

Question 2: Suffice to say that the BNP's record and reputation is a byword for bigotry and brutality, even in the mainstream of public opinion. Hell, even the Tories don't want anything to do with them.

I'll go find some news stories. Not tonight, mind, cos time is short. I'll go digging tomorrow. I don't anticipate it being particuarly hard.

[ 11. January 2004, 20:31: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

It's still early here, so I took a look using Google myself. Wood is right: it's easy as pie to dig up incriminating stuff on the BNP. Here's a bunch of BBC links and a thoughtful piece on the BNP's attempted makeover into a populist "segregation" party while not alienating its "supremacist" and neo-Nazi members.

Nick Griffin's conviction on inciting racial hatred tells it all for me. Issue 12 of The Rune had a cover with a white hangman’s noose accompanied by the words “What has a rope got to do with WHITE UNITY?” An editorial “called for the unification of all ‘white nationalist’ organisations into a single body with the purpose of achieving ‘final victory over those who wish to destroy us so that they can rule forever over a mass of mongrel slaves’.”

quote:
Summing up for the defence, Mr Griffin reiterated that the magazine could not be construed as inciting racial hatred, and predicted that a multi-racial jury would find him not guilty. He was wrong. The jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty. The judge imposed a nine-month prison sentence on Mr Griffin and a six-month sentence on Mr Ballard, both sentences being suspended for two years.
That tells me all I need to know. Maybe the nasty, vicious, bigoted, closed-minded multi-racial mongrel slave jury was a little hard on poor, free-thinking, peaceful, intellectual, pure-white-with-untainted-bloodlines Mr. Griffin. Let’s grant him the freedom of speech to warn whites to avoid being turned into “mongrel slaves.” Clergy from any religion, regardless of the past history of the religion to which they belong, ought to be able to say that Griffin and his party are racist and no one should vote for them, because division and hatred are likely to result. The very fact that Griffin responded with a vicious attack on religion simply because they recommended voting against his party gives evidence that he is prone to hatred.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Why should it be newsworthy that the BNP once in a while says something true? Unless one is seeking to advance their agenda, or advance them themselves, why would one point out that such as the BNP are right in one little case (if in fact they are)? Even the KKK will be likely right in suggesting what sheet-whitening products work best.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
It's still early here, so I took a look using Google myself. Wood is right: it's easy as pie to dig up incriminating stuff on the BNP. Here's a bunch of BBC links and a thoughtful piece on the BNP's attempted makeover into a populist "segregation" party while not alienating its "supremacist" and neo-Nazi members.

Nick Griffin's conviction on inciting racial hatred tells it all for me. Issue 12 of The Rune had a cover with a white hangman’s noose accompanied by the words “What has a rope got to do with WHITE UNITY?” An editorial “called for the unification of all ‘white nationalist’ organisations into a single body with the purpose of achieving ‘final victory over those who wish to destroy us so that they can rule forever over a mass of mongrel slaves’.”

quote:
Summing up for the defence, Mr Griffin reiterated that the magazine could not be construed as inciting racial hatred, and predicted that a multi-racial jury would find him not guilty. He was wrong. The jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty. The judge imposed a nine-month prison sentence on Mr Griffin and a six-month sentence on Mr Ballard, both sentences being suspended for two years.
That tells me all I need to know. Maybe the nasty, vicious, bigoted, closed-minded multi-racial mongrel slave jury was a little hard on poor, free-thinking, peaceful, intellectual, pure-white-with-untainted-bloodlines Mr. Griffin. Let’s grant him the freedom of speech to warn whites to avoid being turned into “mongrel slaves.” Clergy from any religion, regardless of the past history of the religion to which they belong, ought to be able to say that Griffin and his party are racist and no one should vote for them, because division and hatred are likely to result. The very fact that Griffin responded with a vicious attack on religion simply because they recommended voting against his party gives evidence that he is prone to hatred.
You are taking the actions of a few and saying anyone who is a member of that goup is behaving and believes in exactly the same way. Remember our discussion about Howard Dean? I said he's a democrat so he must be a socialist dirt bag (words to that effect) and you (at least I think it was you) provided me a link to some Dean info that changed my mind and broadened my perception of the DNC...

My point is, if judging an entire group by the actions of some members of that group is unacceptable in some cases, it is unacceptable in all cases. We can either use stereo-types, or not. I hate it when the only ones we are allowed to use are those that apply to white males.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
They say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Why should it be newsworthy that the BNP once in a while says something true? Unless one is seeking to advance their agenda, or advance them themselves, why would one point out that such as the BNP are right in one little case (if in fact they are)? Even the KKK will be likely right in suggesting what sheet-whitening products work best.

Why, if they are right about something, would one not point it out in order to start a discussion? I can think of only one reason - the BNP are Britain's "token racist party", and as such they exist only to be hated by the liberals. Moreover, there is the assumption that anyone who does not agree with them must automatically hate them with a passion.

I don't agree with socialism, but I don't hate every left-winger on the planet. Why is it that everyone in the country must either hate racists or be one themselves?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You are taking the actions of a few and saying anyone who is a member of that goup is behaving and believes in exactly the same way. Remember our discussion about Howard Dean? I said he's a democrat so he must be a socialist dirt bag (words to that effect) and you (at least I think it was you) provided me a link to some Dean info that changed my mind and broadened my perception of the DNC...

My point is, if judging an entire group by the actions of some members of that group is unacceptable in some cases, it is unacceptable in all cases. We can either use stereo-types, or not. I hate it when the only ones we are allowed to use are those that apply to white males.

The thing is that the people whose behaviour is so abhorrent are the policy makers and the spokespersons of the party. The people who actually are responsible for the party's image and its ethos. Nick Griffin is the party chairman, not an isolated extremist mook on the street.

Now you're clearly giving the BNP the benefit of the doubt because they're unfamiliar to you and they don't carry the cultural baggage for you that they do here.

But this is roughly equivalent to saying to an American, "now come on. You're just stereotyping the KKK here. You can't base your assessment of them on these news stories." They're an openly racist party who, like the KKK have attempted and failed to achieve respectability. But the fact remains: they're a hate group. They always have been.

Here's the stories. I have indicated bias after each link.

British National Party's Site - hate from the horse's mouth.

Anger as BNP included in school's political lessons - news story from last year (left wing)

Conservatives kick someone out for having links with BNP - BBC, August 2001 (no bias)

Motion put to Scottish parliament in July 2001 (left wing)

BBC summary of BNP manifesto in European elections (no bias - quotes from BNP)

Archive of news about the BNP from the Scotsman (don't know what the bias is)

Nigerian Journalist of libertarian persuasion says that BNP shouldn't be banned - PDF file (but read it - it still gives you an idea of the general image of the BNP among the British public)

News archive re. the BNP from Ananova (no political bias)

Independent Race and Refugee News Network archive of BNp based news - Yes, of course it's biased. But it's still a valuable source of info.

Story from the Observer, April 2003 (left-wing)

Statement from Broadcasters' Union detailing protests about transmission of BNP party political broadcast (do they have those in the US?} (left-wing)

Archive about race riots in Burnley in 2001 (no political bias)

official Conservative Party statement - Labour playing into the hands of BNp and other extremists (right wing - duh)

Another Conservative Party press release: Oliver Letwin warns of "upsurge of fascism" (right wing)

Conservative party press release: IDS claims it's not racist to discuss immigration (refs. BNP (right wing)

Telegraph story about detective forced to resign after BNP links revealed (right wing)
You have to register for this one, but it's free, and it gives a useful right-wing counterpoint to the Guardian.

More on Burnley, from the Telegraph (again, you need to register):
Story about violence erupting - initiated by the ANL

From the above story:
quote:
In the aftermath of the BNP's electoral success on May 1, the Bishop of Burnley, the Rt Rev John Goddard, expressed his dismay. "It is now seen as not impossible to vote for such a party," he said. "We have crossed a line, a line which is against everything that is best in our culture."
Sequel to that story:BNP kicks out councillor who gets in fight - Telegraph again

Last one from the Telegraph: MPs urge stringent asylum controls (for fear of giving extremists like the BNP a bigger foothold)

You only get the first few lines of this story (unless you buy it, and I didn't) but that's quite enough

That's 20 links.

ps: Interestingly, apart from the race policies, it seems that the BNP's economics are actually authoritarian left - but the emphasis is on the authoritarian.

--------------------
Narcissism.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why is it that everyone in the country must either hate racists or be one themselves?

Because racism is an evil sin condemned by God and the Church. If you don't hate it, you condone it
Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Genie
Shipmate
# 3282

- Posted      Profile for Genie   Email Genie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:

You are taking the actions of a few and saying anyone who is a member of that goup is behaving and believes in exactly the same way.
The little matter that the individual under scrutiny is the leader of the party in questions doesn't make you stop to consider that perhaps his actions and ideals match those of the party he leads? If we were talking about the racism of an anonymous member of the BNP, then your criticism may be valid, as there are always bad apples in a box. But if a member of the BNP doesn't agree with those warped values outlined in their manifesto, then what are they doing in the party at all? Political parties are formed when like-minded people get together in order to bring about certain changes they see as beneficial. It's fairly safe to assume therefore that any given member of the BNP will believe the racist filth produced by the BNP propagandists because otherwise they wouldn't be in the party at all.

--------------------
Alleluia, Christ is risen!

Posts: 762 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Why is it that everyone in the country must either hate racists or be one themselves?

Because racism is an evil sin condemned by God and the Church. If you don't hate it, you condone it
Link? Racism hasn't always been condemned by the church - was it okay back then?
thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

- Posted      Profile for thursday+   Email thursday+   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wood:
Nick Griffin is the party chairman, not an isolated extremist mook on the street.

I think it's possible to be both.

People in Britain dislike (hate, despise, contemn, or whatever) the BNP because their ideology is thuggish. The fact that their leaders and adherents behave in a thuggish manner is unsurprising. But the fundamental point (I think) is that even if every single member of the BNP was a lovely, amiable, harmless person, the ideology would still be primitive and cruel.

--------------------
Jesus did not rise from the dead and announce, "A Blessed Easter! I'm the Second Person of the Trinity!," then spend the remaining days until his Ascension instructing the apostles in rubrics.
Newman's Own.

Posts: 392 | From: home is in your head | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Link? Racism hasn't always been condemned by the church - was it okay back then?
Actually, before the church came into the ascendant, colour prejudice was non-existent, the only real kind of prejudice being cultural (ie. "if they don't wear our clothes and worship our gods, they're not like us"1. Not unlike the whole headscarfs thing going on in France right now, IMHO)

Actual colour prejudice really came in at about the 4th century AD, due mainly to the early church's tradition that the devil was a black guy. Take the story of Saint Moses the Black, who received racist abuse from his brother monks, and who internalised it - it was seen as a mark of his holiness that he believed and prayed against the "detrimental effects" of his colour.

Was it OK then? Well, if you were one of the people of that day, you'd probably say yeah; looking at it with hindsight, we say, "of course not".

The church has a hell of a lot to answer for. The article quoted in the OP has something of a point, but at the same time of all the people to make that point, the BNP are the most hypocritical. The church has, for the most part, got past racism (in fact, the fastest growing churches in the world are non-european, and non-white) - the BNP hasn't.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

re: The rope as a symbol of white unity.

The rope is a symbol taken from the Turner Diaries (made infamous by Tim McVeigh) and evokes a time when the white race will get tired of being trod upon by the government/society and will rise up and destroy it, forming a new, more "perfect" society.

Re: racist groups:

I don't know about the BNP, but I have known members of the KKK and the Southern Brotherhood (an allegedly racist motorcycle gang - primarily when I lived in NC. Let me just say that I never witnessed any overt hatred from them towards blacks.

There are two different types of people that join the clan (that I am aware of). The first is the racist, the one who hates. The second, which I prefer to think of as misguided rather than "racist" (the way y'all use the word), think that minorities should have equal rights, but that whites and minorities should remain seperate.

In NC I was invited to a party with the Southern Brotherhood, a motor cycle gang. I didn't know anything about this group before I got there, only that I was going with a couple of friends who said it was "cool". There were blacks, whites and latinos at this party which included alcohol, cocaine, weed, acid, and who knows what else. I did not come away from the party with the impression that this group was racist. When I mentioned it to someone at work, however, I got told some horrible stories about how racist and violent the group has been. My position is, if you mix whites that hate minorities with all of these chemicals, then stir in some AfrAms and allow the whole thing to simmer in the back woods then you are eventually going to end up with a lynching - or at least someone is going to hurt. This did not happen, never even came close. My only conclusion is that this group of whites could not "hate" as much as their reputation says they do.

Wood
# 7

quote:

The rope is a symbol taken from the Turner Diaries (made infamous by Tim McVeigh) and evokes a time when the white race will get tired of being trod upon by the government/society and will rise up and destroy it, forming a new, more "perfect" society.

You see this as a bad thing, right? [Eek!]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are two different types of people that join the clan (that I am aware of). The first is the racist, the one who hates. The second, which I prefer to think of as misguided rather than "racist" (the way y'all use the word), think that minorities should have equal rights, but that whites and minorities should remain seperate.

By that reckoning apartheid wasn't racist. Very strange definition of racism to me.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Little book called the New Testament. You may have heard of it.

We're not supposed to proof-text here so I'll try to refrain from listing the 20-odd quotes I found in an hour or so last time this came up round here.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

Ambrose of Milan's opposition to anti-Jewish pogroms is an excellent early example of Christian 'anti-racism'. I use the inverted commas because current notions of race are relatively modern, and integrally tied up with the slave trade, but that's a different thread - history has certainly been characterised by oppression of the 'Other', but it has been theorised differently at different times.

(PS. Am I the only one thinking that 'The Holy Men of Manchester' would be an excellent 'Lesser Festival' for inclusion in the next edition of Common Worship?!)

[ 12. January 2004, 11:36: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
The second, which I prefer to think of as misguided rather than "racist" (the way y'all use the word), think that minorities should have equal rights, but that whites and minorities should remain seperate.

That is racism. That's what we mean by the word.

Or a large part of it anyway.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

Wood: I am not opposed to a dismantling of society (being anarchist) but I don't believe that any one race is more qualified to rule than any other. I don't believe any person is more qualified than any other. I don't believe we should be ruled. Guided, perhaps, but not forced.

Alan: The way most people here seem to define "racist" is in the context of hate, so I try to refrain from expressing my views in words that mean a particular thing to a particular group of people. I've tried offering dictionary definitions, but that just gets people more vicious in their rebuttals.

There are racists who are seperatists but do not hate.

There are liberals who are racist out of pity, because they don't believe that a particular minority can assimilate and advance on their own. These are the most dangerous kind because their attitudes are more easily accepted on a broad scale.

Then there are racist that hate.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016