homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Promiscuity, hooking up .. a problem and why? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Promiscuity, hooking up .. a problem and why?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, if any, are the consequences of promiscuity, casual sex, hooking up, etc.?

I am not considering the medical or disease consequences, nor unwanted pregnancies, nor abortion in my question. I would also take it as a given that the traditional religious ideas and values speak directly that promiscuity etc is wrong, and do not want to debate this. Rather, what do you think are the psychological consequences or issues, and the consequences and issues for an individual's spirit?

My answer is that it is impossible to have sex or a sexual encounter without there being psychological consequences, that the biological, psychological and spiritual connect with sex, and that this is either acknowledged or ignored at the peril of the participants.

[ 08. January 2015, 14:34: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that casual sex always has bad consequences. In fact, I have known some people (through work), who seemed to need to do it, for various reasons. For example, somebody whose marriage has just broken up, might start sleeping around, and I think this is OK, and might be beneficial in a sense.

As to young people who sleep around - I'm not sure about this, not having worked with them to any great extent. Probably, to an extent, it's experimental.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is masturbation in your list of activities that can't be done without psychological consequences?

[ 27. October 2014, 14:57: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just sex, and not really anyone else's business what consenting adults do. Not everything has to be meaningful.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well a few things to be considered. When the Bible was written contraception was much more unreliable and there were no antibiotics. Logically you would expect a very conservative position to be taken in scripture. However that's not necessarily the case.

In the Old Testament there are some surprising omissions in the Mosaic law. Not all prostitution was banned, lesbianism was not condemned, and polygamy was not only allowed, but in the case of levirate marriage, was even commanded with those who refused to marry another wife publicly shamed !

In the New Testament even the word for fornication can be translated with relation to idolatry, so its not always as clear in Greek as to the meaning as it gets translated in English.

There doesn't seem to be any punishment for consequential sex outside marriage at least for heterosexual couples or lesbians. God could have put this in the Mosaic law but didn't as far as I can tell.

So I don't think its quite as clear cut as many evangelicals would have their congregations to believe. Whether its a good idea or not might depend on the circumstances. I've seen plenty of happy marriages that started out with a fling before tying the knot, and vice versa.

I do wonder looking at the large number of single sexually frustrated Christians we have in our churches if what has really damaged some of them is the 'adding to God's laws' that routinely goes on in pulpits - where they are taught in some that even to 'lust' or masturbate is a sin. (The rather crap 'Freedom in Christ' course being a prime recent example...)

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As with so many things in life, what effect sex has on you depends on what your attitude about it is, so there probably aren't many universal effects common to everyone. Engaging in sex only for physical enjoyment has a very different effect than engaging in it as a way to connect with another person on all levels. What you get out of it depends on what you invest in it.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's why I am asking, that I think my understanding is probably incomplete.

I take masturbation differently, in that there is no other person present. Thus, at most, the consequences to the psychology and spirit are with the individual.

Can we suggest that physical love (to use that term) may be separated from the emotional and spiritual? Perhaps I am caught with the loose use of the word "love" in English, where "making love" and loving someone whilst using the same terminology are quite different. (l love your shoes!)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to try to stick to the OP and not go haring after the interesting tangents...

A lot is going to depend on stuff we don't know. What is the individual's psychology and spirituology (to coin an ugly word)?

What we're talking about is taking an act that is (according to historic Christianity) intended to be characterized by commitment and self-giving love, and that also carries some reflection of God's relationship with his people, and basically shearing all that off. Reducing what had multiple valences to the purely physical. It is rather like taking your country's flag and using it as a kitchen towel, or writing a grocery list on the back of a loved one's photo. The action only makes sense if you disregard every level of meaning but the practical. But if you do so, then it becomes a question of why not? The flag is a piece of cloth and can be used to wipe glasses as well as any other piece of cloth. The photo is paper, and the backside is blank and could be used for a grocery list as well as not. And there's no way to argue against that kind of thinking without readmitting all the social/cultural/spiritual/historical meanings that have already been sheared away from the act of love.

So IMHO the question becomes, "Is this person the kind of person who can survive that shearing away without any harm to his/her being?" I know that I personally am not. For me to engage in sleeping around would be to do violence to my own nature--an earlier age would be using words like "cheapen, coarsen, profane". Other people would talk about becoming numb. I'm struggling to find a way to express it, but I'm afraid that if someone does take sex (okay, me) and removes from it all those associations that God and humanity have vested it with over the centuries, it would do something bad to me. I would lose something of my humanity.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that for some people casual sex would be a problem; for others, not. And for some, it might be beneficial. I think that's covered all bases!

It's very difficult to generalize, and in fact, can become damaging in itself, as it erases the individual. I am not you.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

So IMHO the question becomes, "Is this person the kind of person who can survive that shearing away without any harm to his/her being?" I know that I personally am not. For me to engage in sleeping around would be to do violence to my own nature--an earlier age would be using words like "cheapen, coarsen, profane".

I think I feel the same. I also need my husband to only have eyes for me!

But I wasn't always this way. As a youngster (between 16 and 22) I slept around, experimented with different young men - and one girl. Not a lot, but far more than some would expect. I can honestly say that, as far as I can possibly tell, it did me no harm. I think fondly of two of my past sexual partners, they taught me a lot and were good people. I can barely remember the others - I certainly don't remember their names.

I think age has made me far more sensitive in all sorts of ways. I simply could not cope with any of it now.

But, as others have said, I don't think we can have 'laws' or rules about this. So long as the sex is safe and consensual I think it's entirely between the people involved. I don't think we can either judge or preach about such a personal matter.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that what we do with our bodies is linked to our emotions and our thoughts. I also think that's a good thing.

Casual sex is deliberately taking what your body is doing, and cutting it off from the corresponding emotions/thoughts that should go along with the physical act. That's bad for you. (What Lamb Chopped says about "becoming numb", for instance.)

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
St Deird: Casual sex is deliberately taking what your body is doing, and cutting it off from the corresponding emotions/thoughts that should go along with the physical act. That's bad for you. (What Lamb Chopped says about "becoming numb", for instance.)
That might be true for some people. I don't feel numb.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
St Deird: Casual sex is deliberately taking what your body is doing, and cutting it off from the corresponding emotions/thoughts that should go along with the physical act. That's bad for you. (What Lamb Chopped says about "becoming numb", for instance.)
That might be true for some people. I don't feel numb.
Yes, I was going to say, speak for yourself. Like Boogie, I slept around when I was in my 20s. My memory is that it was great fun, exciting, pleasurable. Not bad at all.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to parse out an assumption that seems embedded in the thread title, which is that "sex without love" only occurs in situations of "promiscuity" or "hooking up". The idea that all sex within committed relationships, especially marriage, always involves "love" seems problematic. This feeds into the popular but mistaken notion that marriage is, by itself, a panacea for fixing any emotional wants.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, I think some marriages break up because of sex without love, or numbness, or lack of intimacy. And people coming out of such a marriage may start sleeping around, as a kind of compensation.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm odd. (No, really?) My partner and I have (and always have had) an open relationship but I don't have (and never have had), um, penetrative sex at all. It seems to work fine for us, but on the other hand since for me everything is kept within certain limits, I'm not sure whether I'm qualified to speak with experience or not. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've all approached this from the standpoint of 'does it do me any harm? What does it do to my feelings, self-perception etc?' What about the other person involved?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
Well a few things to be considered. When the Bible was written contraception was much more unreliable and there were no antibiotics. Logically you would expect a very conservative position to be taken in scripture. However that's not necessarily the case.

In the Old Testament there are some surprising omissions in the Mosaic law. Not all prostitution was banned, lesbianism was not condemned, and polygamy was not only allowed, but in the case of levirate marriage, was even commanded with those who refused to marry another wife publicly shamed !

In the New Testament even the word for fornication can be translated with relation to idolatry, so its not always as clear in Greek as to the meaning as it gets translated in English.

There doesn't seem to be any punishment for consequential sex outside marriage at least for heterosexual couples or lesbians. God could have put this in the Mosaic law but didn't as far as I can tell.

So I don't think its quite as clear cut as many evangelicals would have their congregations to believe. Whether its a good idea or not might depend on the circumstances. I've seen plenty of happy marriages that started out with a fling before tying the knot, and vice versa.

I do wonder looking at the large number of single sexually frustrated Christians we have in our churches if what has really damaged some of them is the 'adding to God's laws' that routinely goes on in pulpits - where they are taught in some that even to 'lust' or masturbate is a sin. (The rather crap 'Freedom in Christ' course being a prime recent example...)

Great post. Evangelicalism rails against legalism while imposing the most legalistic set of rules imaginable. (Condemnation as denial, I guess.) Far too many liberals and moderates reflexively condemn promiscuity to prove their orthodoxy.

A holistic, situational approach would take each situation on its merits, and accept that, if no harm's being done, and people benefit from casual sex, it can be an ethical choice.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Enoch: What does it do to my feelings, self-perception etc?'
I'd say that if anything, the effect on my self-perception has been positive.

quote:
Enoch: What about the other person involved?
My own rule is: if I engage in casual sex, then I'm honest about it. The other person knows what she's getting into, and she can take it or leave it. I'm not sure if my responsibility goes much further than that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think there is a responsibility not to take advantage of somebody vulnerable in some way. But that has limits also; you can't demand a psychological CV every time.

--------------------

anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NoProphet:
quote:
I am not considering the medical or disease consequences, nor unwanted pregnancies, nor abortion in my question.
Are you considering sex?

I just wondered since you seem to want to discuss some activity in which STDs, pregnancies etc, are irrelevant to the discussion. So not promiscious sex - rather more like fantasy shagging in which nothing bad (or even unpleasant) happens.

Many writers with no religious beliefs about sex are concerned with the effects of promiscuity. Andrew Weiss, for example, who states that excessive numbers of sexual partners is a major health hazard which nobody talks about. Germaine Greer makes similar points.

From a christian point of view, the question hardly needs answering. But if christianity is anywhere near being right, then there is clearly a problem.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q - Yes. I regret those instances I ended up getting shat on, rather less than one where, looking back, I was a real shit.

Speaking metaphorically.

Taking care of someone seems to be a big part of all this, to me. And being taken care of. To me, sex comes as part of really looking for a deep connection. Such connection is not always there within marriage, and within or without its lack can drive something like compulsion - so it's not all good.

Forgive me, but if you don't want connection, what's wrong with a wank?

[ 27. October 2014, 17:41: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
My own rule is: if I engage in casual sex, then I'm honest about it. The other person knows what she's getting into, and she can take it or leave it. I'm not sure if my responsibility goes much further than that.

What of unforeseen consequences within the other person's feelings? Or is this simply "their problem"? Which is where I would disagree with you. Your uncertain statement makes me assert I think there is extended responsibility for more than the physical aspects of sex.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one Lamb Chopped.

Proverbs 6:27 certainly applied to me. If it doesn't to anyone, I'm sad for them.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I think there is a responsibility not to take advantage of somebody vulnerable in some way. But that has limits also; you can't demand a psychological CV every time.

The test usually deployed in consent cases is whether a person reasonably believed something at the time. Practically, I think that's as far as we can go. It can't all be on the other party. A vulnerable person needs help to discover and enforce their own boundaries.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: What of unforeseen consequences within the other person's feelings?
Any time I interact with another person, there can be unforeseen consequences within his/her feelings.

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: Your uncertain statement makes me assert I think there is extended responsibility for more than the physical aspects of sex.
Maybe there is. What would those be?

quote:
quetzalcoatl: I think there is a responsibility not to take advantage of somebody vulnerable in some way. But that has limits also; you can't demand a psychological CV every time.
Of course, I agree.

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
[...] Forgive me, but if you don't want connection, what's wrong with a wank?

Likewise, what's wrong with a sport fuck? It's fun, good exercise, a stress buster, and can leave both people reinvigorated. [Cool]
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Q - Yes. I regret those instances I ended up getting shat on, rather less than one where, looking back, I was a real shit.

Speaking metaphorically.

Taking care of someone seems to be a big part of all this, to me. And being taken care of. To me, sex comes as part of really looking for a deep connection. Such connection is not always there within marriage, and within or without its lack can drive something like compulsion - so it's not all good.

Forgive me, but if you don't want connection, what's wrong with a wank?

I think the key words in that post are 'to me'. Of course, there is no problem with that; the problems arise if you should start saying that the same should hold for me.

I'm not sure how you are comparing a wank, since casual sex involves some connection. Still, as Woody Allen said, sex with yourself is sex with someone you love.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
Far too many liberals and moderates reflexively condemn promiscuity to prove their orthodoxy.

My impression is that people in the more mainstream denominations or congregations can be fairly tolerant of serial monogamy, shall we say, so long as it's discreet. And I suppose it usually is in Christian circles.

In British culture promiscuity (if by that we mean fairly brief and casual sexual flings) often goes hand in hand with behaviours or outcomes that are problematic for Christianity, e.g. drunkenness, divorce, reduced religious practice, illegitimacy, abortion, etc. So I think it's hard for Christians to argue that promiscuity is a good thing from a religious point of view. Maybe a theological case could be made for it, but I don't get the impression that our theologians are in a great hurry to make it. Even though some of them may be promiscuous themselves.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting OP, not one that can be answered without making assumptions about others, or analysing one's own personal life.
I usually try apply the rule of thumb of what other people do in their personal lives is their business alone, therefore any resulting psychological problems which may or may not arise is for them to deal with.

It's difficult to say how sexual activity has affected me psychologically. Aged 11 I learnt from an older brother what sex between a man and a woman actually was, it profoundly changed my view of the world. Initially I thought it something so special that it was only to be shared by life-long partners primarily for producing children. This naive idea was soon to be eroded by peers at secondary school.

Cutting a long story short mastubation was discovered at 15 or thereabouts. First proper sexual encounter was at 19 with an older girl who I was madly in love with, but only lasted 6 months. Then an eighteen year marriage which, in hindsight, was probably somewhat loveless. Now happily partnered with someone where sex is no longer such a big deal.

Thinking on this, I'd say sex is always going to throw up contradictions. For if I had my life again I'd only ever seek one sexual partner, yet secretly I can envy those who, like Casanova, have a vast list of sexual experiences. My guess is Freud might say there's some repression going on somewhere.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
quetzalcoatl: I'm not sure how you are comparing a wank, since casual sex involves some connection.
I

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
quetzalcoatl: I'm not sure how you are comparing a wank, since casual sex involves some connection.
I'm rather surprised by people on this thread saying that in casual sex there is no connection, or that there are no emotions involved. Sure there are.

They aren't "I want to stay with you for the rest of my life" emotions, but it isn't just arousal and feeling horny either. There's a lot in between those extremes.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

rolyn wrote:

Thinking on this, I'd say sex is always going to throw up contradictions. For if I had my life again I'd only ever seek one sexual partner, yet secretly I can envy those who, like Casanova, have a vast list of sexual experiences. My guess is Freud might say there's some repression going on somewhere.

That reminds me of my parents. When I was young and fancy free, so to speak, my parents were quite disapproving. However years later, I remembered certain cues that indicated that they were also envious! That seemed quite sad, but then, we never really know about someone else. I know that my dad's brother was a wild man with the ladies, yet my dad was a timid man.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

My answer is that it is impossible to have sex or a sexual encounter without there being psychological consequences, that the biological, psychological and spiritual connect with sex, and that this is either acknowledged or ignored at the peril of the participants.

Certainly not impossible.
From a psychological POV, the problems arising from casual sex occur when there are different expectations between the participants.
Though, given our natures, this certainly can become more complicated.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I also need my husband to only have eyes for me!

This falls under the same issue outlined above, all partners should be on the same page.

quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
I think that what we do with our bodies is linked to our emotions and our thoughts. I also think that's a good thing.

Casual sex is deliberately taking what your body is doing, and cutting it off from the corresponding emotions/thoughts that should go along with the physical act. That's bad for you. (What Lamb Chopped says about "becoming numb", for instance.)

I think this is a misconception of what casual sex often is. Sex is not full love and commitment v. soulless coupling. Every permutation in between happens.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

If the sexual organs become shared between participants within a sexual encounter, do we not consider that other aspects of their humanity are not also shared? How do you successfully leave this out or regulate? And if the partner's feeling changes from the encounter or during it? Have none of you had your connection with someone altered because of and during sex?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: Have none of you had your connection with someone altered because of and during sex?
I have.

[ 27. October 2014, 20:11: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
My impression is that people in the more mainstream denominations or congregations can be fairly tolerant of serial monogamy, shall we say, so long as it's discreet. And I suppose it usually is in Christian circles.

In British culture promiscuity (if by that we mean fairly brief and casual sexual flings) often goes hand in hand with behaviours or outcomes that are problematic for Christianity, e.g. drunkenness, divorce, reduced religious practice, illegitimacy, abortion, etc. So I think it's hard for Christians to argue that promiscuity is a good thing from a religious point of view. Maybe a theological case could be made for it, but I don't get the impression that our theologians are in a great hurry to make it. Even though some of them may be promiscuous themselves.

In some cases, divorce may well be avoided by the couple agreeing to an open relationship. It's plain that, for a great many people, lifelong monogamy isn't the preferred choice.

Yeah, theologians aren't that interested in defending swinging and one night stands. Far too practical. They prefer debating godself's metaphysical relationship with the rim of a coffee mug, or somesuch. [Devil]

This Lambeth resolution is the kind of closed-minded, blinkered harrumphing churches tend to offer (and I quote from the liberal bit, pre-modification by a cabal of homophobic bishops):-
quote:
Clearly some expressions of sexuality are inherently contrary to the Christian way and are sinful. Such unacceptable expression of sexuality include promiscuity, prostitution, incest, pornography, paedophilia, predatory sexual behaviour, and sadomasochism (all of which may be heterosexual and homosexual), adultery, violence against wives, and female circumcision. From a Christian perspective these forms of sexual expression remain sinful in any context. We are particularly concerned about the pressures on young people to engage in sexual activity at an early age, and we urge our Churches to teach the virtue of abstinence.
Casual sex and kink are equated with pedophilia and rape. It's basically a laundry list of everything outside vanilla marriage, no reasons given. With this Leave It to Beaver BS, it's no wonder Christian insights on sex are roundly ignored by society are large.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But the question is, why don't these people just attend churches where no one really minds what you do in your spare time?

The problem (if it is a problem) is not so much that the strict churches exist, but that many people who have religious impulses seem to yearn towards standards of sexual behaviour that are apparently hard to achieve.

fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a vivid, thoughtful discussion.

And rather rare I'd say in our societies.

Why do I find them so helpful / authentic I am wondering ?

Still pondering.

But so far, I got

personal experience,

reflection on it

questing mind or spirit

humility, yet a certain confidence rooted in the Self / grounded and grounding.

& input from art, religion and positive and negative cultural influences.

I know it can be said that reflection is part of experience and so on, so this an approximate 'stab' in the dark.

It all gives me a certain joy, and sense of something here, that is,

life enhancing .

Yes, that's it ----

LIFE ENHANCING.

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

But the question is, why don't these people just attend churches where no one really minds what you do in your spare time?

The problem (if it is a problem) is not so much that the strict churches exist, but that many people who have religious impulses seem to yearn towards standards of sexual behaviour that are apparently hard to achieve.

Sounds like guilt and shame to me. Some people want to be told that sex is sinful, especially if it's fun.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
In some cases, divorce may well be avoided by the couple agreeing to an open relationship. It's plain that, for a great many people, lifelong monogamy isn't the preferred choice.

In some cases, perhaps, although I understand that many open marriages do end in divorce. It sounds like the sort of thing that for many people would require lots of therapy, which isn't practical in most cases.

The romantic ideal of lifelong monogamy is probably more of a problem in our era than in previous ones. We live longer, divorce is easier, and the magical and private life of the couple is exalted above all other relationships, which gives people so much to live up to. We're also conflicted because on the one hand we yearn for specialness and exclusivity, but on the other we abhor routine and sameness.

The other problem is that, despite feminism, double standards still exist, and sexual variety isn't quite as straightforward for as many women as it is for many men. That's partly nurture, but it's also nature, isn't it? I fancy that in the future, conception and childbirth will have to be completely separated from both sexual intercourse and from gender in order for the playing field to be completely even.

quote:

It's no wonder Christian insights on sex are roundly ignored by society are large.

I think it's a mistake for Christians to expect non-Christians to pay much attention to 'Christian insights on sex'.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Christian insights on sex. Gulp. What would they be?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Squidgy ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:

Why should this only apply to sex, though?

I have casual conversations with people I'm never going to meet again. No-one seems to think it's a problem if I invest time and energy into this and give something of myself, knowing that it's a one-time thing.

I've spent hours sharing with a girl on a bus. Life stories, experiencing Niagara Falls together, having a meal. It was really satisfying, and yes she's now my Facebook friend, but realistically it was a one time encounter.

It's not immediately obvious why that is seen as perfectly okay but sexual pleasure is put in some different category.

Perhaps it's just that I'm troubled by the assertion that casual sex is cut off from thoughts and emotions. If that were true, then surely it would be possible to have casual sex with absolutely anyone. I suppose some people are so casual about it they can treat their sexual partner with complete disinterest as a person, but I doubt that's the reality of most one night stands. You have sex with someone on the basis of liking them.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Squidgy ?

Don't put the light on, dear.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
If the sexual organs become shared between participants within a sexual encounter, do we not consider that other aspects of their humanity are not also shared? How do you successfully leave this out or regulate? And if the partner's feeling changes from the encounter or during it? Have none of you had your connection with someone altered because of and during sex?

Again, why focus on sex with questions like this? Surely, you share aspects of yourself with other people on a regular basis, including people you're never going to see again.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

orfeo

Good points. I think we are seeing some straw men being constructed here - casual sex is soulless, all over in a minute, done in the back of a car, and above all, leaves you feeling hollow and empty. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Orfeo: because sex is different. We do something different during sex that we don't do elsewhere in life. We have suddenly compact universes of conversation, like in your bus example, but there isn't skin and breath and hair, not in the same way.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always find it ironic that when you carefully analyse God's rules in the Old Testament on sex, he would have fallen short of the standards demanded by most evangelicals....

I'm still waiting for a church brave enough to do a Bible study on King David's wives.

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
orfeo

Good points. I think we are seeing some straw men being constructed here - casual sex is soulless, all over in a minute, done in the back of a car, and above all, leaves you feeling hollow and empty. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Agreed. Casual sex varies. Sometimes it is about physical pleasure, which, far from being soulless and empty, can be thrilling and invigorating. There's also friends-with-benefits, which is a whole other thing.

Can one night stands and screwing around with friends be disastrous? Sure. Just like relationships and marriages can be disastrous. All human relationships are risky. Only hermits use that as reason to avoid relationships, and sometimes not even pillar saints.
quote:
In some cases, perhaps, although I understand that many open marriages do end in divorce. It sounds like the sort of thing that for many people would require lots of therapy, which isn't practical in most cases.

The romantic ideal of lifelong monogamy is probably more of a problem in our era than in previous ones. We live longer, divorce is easier, and the magical and private life of the couple is exalted above all other relationships, which gives people so much to live up to. We're also conflicted because on the one hand we yearn for specialness and exclusivity, but on the other we abhor routine and sameness.

The other problem is that, despite feminism, double standards still exist, and sexual variety isn't quite as straightforward for as many women as it is for many men. That's partly nurture, but it's also nature, isn't it? I fancy that in the future, conception and childbirth will have to be completely separated from both sexual intercourse and from gender in order for the playing field to be completely even.

Yup, good point about the double standard, a loathsome holdover from patriarchy and women-as-property.

Such real world consequences are undoubtedly factors to consider. Problem with the church is that it tends to take an absolutist stance, instead of offering pragmatic, realistic advice.

Also agree about romanticism. Times past, marriage was about alliance and security above all. A woman's consent was a low priority, let alone romance. Times have, thankfully, moved on, but theology seems stuck centuries back, in a weird mix of romantic idealism and puritanism.
quote:
I think it's a mistake for Christians to expect non-Christians to pay much attention to 'Christian insights on sex'.
Good insights get picked up. Take all the casual interest in Buddhism. If Christian thinking is marginalized to a devotional ghetto, it doesn't bode well for its quality, or the faith's continued relevance. [Eek!]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016