homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Corpus Christi (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Corpus Christi
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its coming soon.

I wondered if people would like to talk about it - what u do,
when you keep it,
if you keep it at all,
if not why not [Smile]

Anyone do it different? (Powerpoint and praise songs?)

[ 29. August 2009, 11:37: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We now have a Wednesday evening service, so we are taking the opportunity to start our Corpus Christi celebrations with a Holy Hour and Benediction on the eve.

No service on the Thursday at our place chiz chiz chiz, as we do as Rome does (IIRC) and have the celebration on Sunday instead. Usual Sunday Mass with lots of eucharistic hymns! Some will go in the afternoon to Procession + Benediction at one of the main FiF churches in the diocese, I expect.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
8:30am Eucharistic Adoration
9am Mass - The Body and Blood of Jesus

6:30pm Ecumenical Worship - Sing a new Song to the Lord

It's gonna be a busy day!

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Low Mass at noon using red vestments at ours.

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Ascension (kept on Thursday) was anything to go by, it'll be an evening Low Mass. There's a High Mass elsewhere we're encouraged to attend but my lunchbreak isn't long enough to go!

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A big feature of Corpus Christi is the outdoor procession. Do you do one? I guess from all the talk of low masses the answer is no [Frown]

Oh dear.

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:

On the day, or transferred à la mode?

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Chad:
quote:

Presumably, on the day according to the RC calendar.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

A mate of mine goes sometimes to St Albans, Holborn. Theyre doin a Mass for Copus Christi with procession but i dont know if its outdoor.

Here is the link.

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proession and high Mass at CCSL; the Mass setting is the Miisa pange lingua of Josquin so that will be my birthday present.

m (haven't had a birthday on Corpus Christi in 40 years, not since the gulag.

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints, Margaret Street, London are doing their usual High Mass and outside Procession (along part of Oxford Street, I presume!). White vestments, IIRC from a previous year.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

We follow the Calendar for the Church in England and Wales, therefore it's transferred to Sunday.

Max.

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will have the Solemn Mass and outdoor procession.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My own parish has only an indoor procession and no Benediction, so it's my custom to excuse myself to the nearby Church of St Mary Magdalene. Here's last year's leaflet in PDF.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

I was chatting to my mate online about S Alnas, Holborn and theres a special festival their this year for Corpus Christi time.

Here is the link. It looks good doesnt it?

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corpus Christi is on the Thursday here in Mexico. We have a procession after the usual daily mass. I'm not sure if Mass will be any fancier than usual -- we already have choir and robed servers for all our daily masses.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Laetare:
I was chatting to my mate online about S Alnas, Holborn and theres a special festival their this year for Corpus Christi time.

Here is the link. It looks good doesnt it?

You asked for my opinion?
No - it looks poncey. I'd rather be down the pub.

Max.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

What makes worship poncey Max.?

Actually I agree with you now I look again - but I still wonder what the answer to the question is.

I've also been told this is an anti-women priest rally.

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:

Actually I agree with you now I look again - but I still wonder what the answer to the question is.

Well, obviously it's when poncing people ponce about in a poncey way

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

[Smile] I guess it is obvious Max.

Now:
What hymns or songs would you all like sung for a Corpus Christi Mass you might go to?

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've managed to persuade our lot that it would be a good excuse for a summer party so we're keeping it on the day for the first time! It's not exactly Shrine of Dagon stuff - one server who doubles as Crucifer and MC and the Ave Verum Corpus sung as a communion anthem by some of the parishoners who remember the good old days when we had a choir but we have to start somewhere. Hopefully the more backslidden members of the PCC will turn up and hear my sermon on "Why It Is Important To Be A Regular Communicant".

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solemn concelebrated mass at 12:15 on the Sunday, with a eucharistic procession around the neighborhood afterwards, with the customary three benediction stations. There are rumours of a full choral mass setting .
here are two photos from last year's procession.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:

Now:
What hymns or songs would you all like sung for a Corpus Christi Mass you might go to?

In no particular order
The splendour of the King , Holy is the Lord , Jesus be the Centre , O Christ be the Centre of our lives , Down in Adoration , Lay it Down

Max.

--------------------

Patrick the less saintly
Shipmate
# 14355

- Posted      Profile for Patrick the less saintly   Email Patrick the less saintly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Many Anglo-Catholic devotional societies, including the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, do seem to spend rather more time promoting their agenda on this issue than promoting their original ends. As far as I can tell, the Guild of All Souls and the Society of King Charles the Martyr remain more or less apolitical.

All Saints Margaret Street will be having a Solemn Mass, Procession down Oxford Street and Benediction. The Bishop of Ramsbury will be the guest preacher. The Mass setting will be Haydn's 'Missa Brevis Sancti Joannis de Deo' and other music will include Guerrero's 'O sacrum convivium', Mozarts 'Ave Verum Corpus' and Karg-Elert's 'Lauda Sion'. Unusually for ASMS, the Tantum Ergo will be song in English by the congregation. The Hymns will be, in order: 'Lord Enthroned in Heavenly Splendor', 'The Church of God a kingdom is', 'Soul of my Savior, sanctify my breast' (a versification of the Anima Christi), ' Strengthen for service, Lord, the hands', 'Thee we adore, O hidden Savior, thee' 'Laud, O Zion, thy salvation', 'Alleluia, sing to Jesus', 'All for Jesus! all for Jesus', and 'Sweet Sacrament Divine'.

I'm sure this meets Max's definition for a 'poncey' celebration.

--------------------
'[Your religion consists of] antiquarian culturally refined pseudo-Anglicanism'— Triple Tiara

Posts: 1802 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

It does.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would really love to have "One bread, one body" but am not holding my breath.

I really enjoy Lord, enthroned in heavenly splendour, but only to St Osmund.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

quote:
quote:

Now:

In no particular order
The splendour of the King , Holy is the Lord , Jesus be the Centre , O Christ be the Centre of our lives , Down in Adoration , Lay it Down

Max.

Please max. what hymn book do you use to get those from.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Spring Harvest, Soul Survivor, The Source, Songs of Fellowship and the Kingsway PDF Music Store.
Worship leaders such as myself tend to "accumulate" a lot of worship music too... if you know what I mean [Biased] Usually happens when I'm playing in other Church bands.

Max.

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB]

Now:
What hymns or songs would you all like sung for a Corpus Christi Mass you might go to? [/QllB]

We used these in tha mass and procession last year: Bread of heaven,on Thee We Feed, Adoro Te Devote, Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent, Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All, Shepherd of Souls Refresh and Bless, Lord, Accept the Gifts We Offer, To Jesus Christ Our Soverign King, Alleluia!Sing to Jesus, Pange Lingua Gloriosi, and O Food of Exiles Lowly.
Four were used during mass (The third, sixth, eighth, and tenth hymns.) The others were used during the procession. There were two meditation songs too. (Lord, Sanctify me Wholly, by Jean Pasquet, and O Sacred Feast, by healey Willan.) I hope they do Elgar's Ave Verum this year. It's my favorite setting.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Thats not one I know LQ.

I like Jesus in thy dear Scarament as well.

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Thats not one I know LQ.

You need to get out more. (To youtube)

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Thats not one I know LQ.

I want to make a witty comment, but I can't think of one.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
I want to make a witty comment, but I can't think of one.

Here's a pre-made one for you.

Max.

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why is the thurifer in front of the procession, instead of facing the Blessed Sacrament?
[Confused]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it not the case the the thurifers usually cense the way for the sacrament rather than the sacrament itself?

That said, we did see a little bit of backward walking at the Nat. Shrine of the IC on Maundy Thursday, didn't we? Was that just something they chose to do or is it actually stipulated anywhere?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
quote:

Why is the thurifer in front of the procession, instead of facing the Blessed Sacrament?
[Confused]

There are three thurifers: One is at the front of the procession, and the other two are right in front of the priest with the blessed sacrament. (They're the uwo religious brothers in white habits.)

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Dominicans or Augustinian Canons Regular?

Max.

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:
Dominicans or Augustinian Canons Regular?

Max.

Neither.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Ah - Augustinian Lineage though [Smile]

Max.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Thats not one I know LQ.

Max. or anyone for that matter. You know these you tube songs like the one u just posted - can they be downloaded and then put up like on powerpoint? I think that One bread One body was great.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

To download them from Youtube would be a breach of copyright.

You may buy them from legitimate sources such as the Kingsway MP3 Shop, iTunes or Amazon.

Max.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is indeed. It's a society to encourage greater devotion to Christ in the Blessed Sacrament but what's going to happen is that we're going to all wear banners saying "No priestesses here!" We're then going to have a sermon about how female priests make the sacramental presence of Jesus Christ. The hymns are going to include

"Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all, how can I hate women like you?"
"O thou who at thy eucharist didst pray, that all thy priests would be forever men"

and various things like that.

It's going to be great fun.

Thurible

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Ha Ha! Thurible.

Seriously though, will there be women priests taking part - will the gathering be respecting that there is two integrities ion the C of E?

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
We're then going to have a sermon about how female priests make the sacramental presence of Jesus Christ.

Doh! My sarcasm is rendered useless. This sentence was, of course, meant to end with the word 'cry'!

Thurible

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Ha Ha! Thurible.

Seriously though, will there be women priests taking part - will the gathering be respecting that there is two integrities ion the C of E?

I should expect that they will respect the two integrities in the CofE by not allowing women to Celebrate should it cause scandal to those who do not believe that women can be/are ordained

Max.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Its all a muddle, I say!

Maybe we better chat on about Corpus Christi though or else we'll get told off.

Is there anywhere that has the procession separate from Mass, I've heard it is done - like at that CBS rally, but what about churches - do any do it not afetr Mas - say on the SDunday afternoon or what have you.

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought we might have a Sacrament Awareness Day!

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am continually amazed that in my city where the Catholic Cathedral is named for the Blessed Sacrament that they have no Procession

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

St. George's Church, Bickley, Kent, has a sort of Service of the Word (with sermon) followed by an outdoor Procession and Benediction on the Sunday afternoon (14 June), the principal Corpus Christi Mass being held in the morning. This is perhaps arranged like this for the benefit of other A-C parishes in the area, and I believe there is an area meeting of FiF after the service as well.

Ian J.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

quote:
I thought we might have a Sacrament Awareness Day!

We have a Mass awareness day and thanks for it - we call it Corpus Christi. But you can call yours something else like 'Thanksgiving for Holy Communion' if you want!!

BF thats very interesting. I seem to think in some countries its the procession more than the mass thats the feature so maybe they dont alweays have a mass.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016