homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Proud to be Anglican (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Proud to be Anglican
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had thought when Our Friend Cosmo decided to depart this ship that would be an end to it.

But it seems not. The Coot has taken up his mantle.

Now I am not just "Un-Anglican", but "Anti-Anglican".

And I am getting just a little bit tee'd off with it.

I am an Anglican by choice, not by default in any way. Not because my family were, not because it was the nearest church, but by choice. Aparently this makes me "unanglican".

I have sought office within the church, and currently hold the office of reader within the Anglican church. At no point in any of my selection process was there any suggestion that I wasn't Anglican enough. At no point during my training was my Anglicanism in question. But apparently I am "anti-anglican". Obviously I am such a master of disguise that my subversion was not detected at any stage.

Maybe my understanding of and interpretation of Anglicanism is different to yours. That's a good thing, because diversity is in the nature of Anglicanism. You may not like it, but then I don't ask you to agree with me. I may not like your approach, but that doesn't warrant me calling you un-anglican.

This ship is a ship of unrest. That is one thing I love about it. I am unrestful in what I do, and how I approach my faith and my denomination. Does that make me un-Anglican? I hope not, because I love the Anglican church too much to consign it yet.

[ 10. March 2003, 01:10: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Errrrr..... what's the problem here? Who said you are not Anglican? In what way might you not be Anglican?

I'm confused [Confused]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Obnoxious Snob

Arch-Deacon
# 982

- Posted      Profile for Obnoxious Snob   Email Obnoxious Snob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

This ship is a ship of unrest. That is one thing I love about it. I am unrestful in what I do, and how I approach my faith and my denomination. Does that make me un-Anglican? I hope not, because I love the Anglican church too much to consign it yet.

The wonderful thing about being an Anglican, for me, is that you are allowed to question and challenge for yourself and engage with others what it means to be an Anglican-to be comfortable with the journey of exploration and deep questioning-to be restful in the very nature of unrest.

Keep on trucking, Schroedinger's Cat. Don't let the bastards grind you down! [Not worthy!]

--------------------
'The best thing we can do is to make wherever we're lost in Look as much like home as we can'

Christopher Fry

Posts: 889 | From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve, while I sympathise with your point of view, are you not being a wee bit too hard on the Coot?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SC - any chance of a link here, or a quote, so that the rest of us can see what you are annoyed about?

I'm very confused - I think I need to go to bed.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since this seems to be a call into hell, I assume you have PMd or e-mailed the Coot? If you haven't done so, please do so.

tomb
hellhost

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take "give me the damn link" for $100, Alex.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I had thought when Our Friend Cosmo decided to depart this ship that would be an end to it.

Rumours of our friend's demise are greatly exaggerated. [Razz]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rumours of our friend's demise are greatly exaggerated.

glad to hear it.... the op here had me a bit concerned for him

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are many people who point out with apparent pride that they are "cradle Anglicans [Episcopalians]". I fail to see that this is of any significance whatsoever.

As to the Cosmo aspect of the opening post, I think we should know by now that it is folly to attempt to predict what such a wonderfully complex person will say or do. There even appears to be disagreement on whether or not he is a person of color.

Greta

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
As to the Cosmo aspect of the opening post, I think we should know by now that it is folly to attempt to predict what such a wonderfully complex person will say or do. There even appears to be disagreement on whether or not he is a person of color.

(wipes eyes and composes self)

You're either the funniest person I have ever met of simply not very bright.

--------------------
Narcissism.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There even appears to be disagreement on whether or not he is a person of color. Greta

"Person of color"? Are we not all persons of color? I, for example, am a kind of pinky salmon beige with very muted olive undertones. If that's not color, what is? [Confused]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Royal Peculiar
Shipmate
# 3159

- Posted      Profile for Royal Peculiar   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SC, I am very concerned about your post as you are obviously saddeed by your experience of the board and.or Anglicanism. I am a cradle anglican, although I hav ein the past flirted with Catholicism and Quakerism, and attende Orthodox liturgies and Methodist,Baptist URC and independent worship.

I find ithe C of E a difficult place at times, but it is the richer for your valuable contribution as a reader - and as you rightly say if you have chosen to be an Anglican and gone through the various hoops to become a reader -of course you are an Anglican and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Posts: 405 | From: Barking, London | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

I don't know why I'm posting this. No one bothers to read what I put these days anyway.)

OK. Steve, I'm asking you to back down.

I know you've had a hard time at the hands of bigoted slow developers like the One Whom Smart Girls Are Wont To Carry and his ilk, but these people are not the majority, and the whole of Anglo-Catholocism does not deserve to be loathed because of a few self-righteous and unimaginative snobs.

There are many, many Anglo-Catholics on this board who are decent, intelligent and Godly. I rate the Coot as one of them.

And I think he has a point.

You've been on a major anti-AC trip for ages now. Because some of them happen to have treated you badly is no reason to hate all Anglo-Catholics (or, in fact, any), any more than Ang-Caths have to hate evangelicals because the evangelicals treat them badly. Do you really want to be lumped in with the Bonkers Bishop of Sydney? Really?

I know you've had a hard time on this board from idiotic public-school jerks who couldn't phrase a decent argument if it slapped them around the face, but come on. By going on your anti-AC rampage - and, let's face it, Steve, the AC dos and Don'ts thread was pretty nasty - you lose any moral high ground you had.

Steve, mate. I hope you still respect my opinion enough to listen to this. Back down. Please?

The Coot really doesn't deserve your opprobrium, and I'm proud to have him as a colleague.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are many people who point out with apparent pride that they are "cradle Anglicans [Episcopalians]". I fail to see that this is of any significance whatsoever. ...

It's not, except that it was a really wonderful way to grow up: Cranmer's music in my ears and on my lips, etc.

But when I use the term, it's just background information, like my husband's having attended RC schools through high school. Does anyone really take it as personal virtue or fault that they were reared in one tradition rather than another?

Rossweisse // who thinks background info is useful

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse,

Stupid as I am, I am most confounded when I see the term "cradle Episcopalian" listed among the qualifications for candidates for vestry or for diocesan offices. Why is the accident of being born into the Church any special virtue? I think it is irrelevant whether one has been an Episcopalian for over half a century (like myself) or was confirmed yesterday.

I also don't like it when people use the term as a kind of social pedigree, analogously to blue haired matrons who think they are special because their ancestors came over on the Mayflower.

Greta

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, well, well. One goes on holiday for a few weeks (and thus able to think a little about whether to carry on posting or not rather than simple, as some have accused, sulking in a corner) and some behave as though the body was already cold.

It's interesting to see the insults that go around when one is thought to be absent. I thought that was just a bitchy A/C trait rather than South Wales evangelical. You live and learn.

For the record I don't really care to be described as a 'bigoted slow developer' or as part of a cabal of 'self-righteous and unimaginative snobs'. Neither do I particularly enjoy being implicated as one of a mysterious group of 'idiotic public-school educated jerks'.

Undoubtedly I have questioned SC (if you don't mind the abbreviation) over some his viewpoints in the past, particularly concerning the sacraments, the nature of episcopacy and the ordained priesthood. Indeed, I have gone so far as to ask why SC is an Anglican when so many of the points he has expressed seem to run contrary to some fundamental elements of Anglicanism. I should have thought that argument and debate are vital parts of the boards. At no point however (I think and certainly hope not) have I ever described SC as 'anti-Anglican' nor have I attributed to him any of the character traits or similar insults it would appear Wood has ascribed to me.

If Wood would care to open a thread on the evils of the 'One Smart Girls Carry' (not with my size, my dear) in Hell or even send me a PM to explain how his remarks were not in the slightest way addressed about me in particular then I should be interested to read them.

If, however, you (or anybody else for that matter) want to call me names, then please do it to my face. At the moment you merely sound a little like the boy who only slags off the teacher when he's out of the room.

(A well-refreshed) Cosmo

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

ken,

Amos initially used the term "person of color" with regard to Cosmo. I knew what she meant. So apparently did Wood and Fiddleback. I stayed with the term although it is not one which I normally use.

Out now to enjoy a few minutes of this beautiful L.A. day.

Greta

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Suddenly the day has become even more beautiful!!!!!

Greta

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

I find myself singing an old Baptist hymn: "Ring the bells of Heaven; there is joy today."

Greta

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Well, well, well. One goes on holiday for a few weeks (and thus able to think a little about whether to carry on posting or not rather than simple, as some have accused, sulking in a corner) and some behave as though the body was already cold.<snip>

Ah, Cosmo.

I'm in a picky mood tonight. The phrase you're reaching for is:
as though the body were already cold.

Please try harder in future sir.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find myself singing an old Baptist hymn: "Ring the bells of Heaven; there is joy today."

Greta

There is a place for nauseating rejoicing and jubilation. It's called All Saints. kindly do not make this mistake again, or you will regret it. Profoundly.

Viki, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Cosmo, as it was I who surmised that you were sulking may I add that at no point did I consider you to be simply (I hope you think me not too forward in correcting your typo) sulking. Sadly you do so little “simply.”

P

{corrected your typo, too, Pyx_e. That "to-too" homonym is so vexatious}

[ 04. October 2002, 01:13: Message edited by: tomb ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

See. Told you no one reads my posts.

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
For the record I don't really care to be described as a 'bigoted slow developer' or as part of a cabal of 'self-righteous and unimaginative snobs'. Neither do I particularly enjoy being implicated as one of a mysterious group of 'idiotic public-school educated jerks'.

If the biretta fits.

You don't like being described that way, show some evidence that you don't deserve it.

quote:
I attributed to him any of the character traits or similar insults it would appear Wood has ascribed to me.
Now, if you had actually bothered to read my post, you would have seen that I simply said that he had "had a hard time" at the hands of you and your little friends.

Which I think is fair.

quote:
If Wood would care to open a thread on the evils of the 'One Smart Girls Carry' (not with my size, my dear) in Hell or even send me a PM to explain how his remarks were not in the slightest way addressed about me in particular then I should be interested to read them.
You think you can actually carry an argument beyond hit-and-run, you start it.

Colours to the mast: some of those comments were addressed to you (see above).

quote:
If, however, you (or anybody else for that matter) want to call me names, then please do it to my face.
I just did, you moron (slow developer: QED).

Cosmo, I knew you were reading this. Do you really think I say anything about you in private that I haven't said in public?

On the other hand, I understand that one person actually started spreading lies about me to people in private emails - had the opinions and actions attributed to me been mafde public and were I of a litigious bent, I would have sought legal advice, in fact. One person even went to the editor, because they believed these things.

I really do have no idea who that was (although I have my suspicions, I have no proof and no evidence beyond the circumstantial), but I would hope that I would never stoop so low as that slimy, underhand, pathetic little worm, whoever it was.

quote:
(a well-refreshed) Cosmo
Physically, anyway.

--------------------
Narcissism.

LatinMan
Shipmate
# 1892

- Posted      Profile for LatinMan   Email LatinMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know why, but when I saw the title of this thread, all of a sudden, I heard Lee Greenwood singing "I am Proud to be an Anglican" to the tune of his song "I am Pround to be an American." Now I can't get it out of my head.

This truly is Hell.

--------------------
* * * + * * *
_ _ _ [o]_ _ _

Posts: 603 | From: The Marches of the Archdiocese of Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglicans definitely make for good entertainment, anyway! [Devil]

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, a cat-fight. Wonderful!!

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, what a beautiful evening this is turning out to be. [Big Grin]

<settles back on shooting stick and imbibes from hip-flask>

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh what a beautiful morning......in a hellish sort of way

Happy St Francis Day, Cosmo! and Px Romana to all the rest of you

cheers

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
Oh what a beautiful morning......in a hellish sort of way

Happy St Francis Day, Cosmo! and Px Romana to all the rest of you

cheers

m

Multipara,

Wishing greetings, particularly happy ones is for All Saints.

Giving peace to all is for Mystery Worship (where you may also debate not giving peace [Wink] ) or Heaven.

Please do not confuse Hell again with any of these three boards, as I find my tendency to shred the perpetrators of such a misdemeanour often offends.

Viki, hellhost growing increasingly less cordial

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Hell. I really do. [Devil]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, really. This is all pretty hellish. In the space of an hour or so, I have had "Proud to be an American" and "Oh What A Beautiful Morning" lodged in my head. They're currently playing on simultaneous tracks (I multi-task well). There can be no nastier combination than patriotic dreck and show tunes fighting it out in one's head. The Voices scarcely know what to say....
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood said:

quote:
You've been on a major anti-AC trip for ages now. Because some of them happen to have treated you badly is no reason to hate all Anglo-Catholics (or, in fact, any), any more than Ang-Caths have to hate evangelicals because the evangelicals treat them badly. Do you really want to be lumped in with the Bonkers Bishop of Sydney? Really?

Wood me ol' buddy!

"Not the Bonkers archBishop of Sydney! Anything but the Bonkers archBishop of Sydney!!"

Anyone have tuppence to buy the B a-B of Sydney? A shilling for the Catholic one too... Going really cheap just for today...
Buy one, get one free!

Seriously though, while the Sydney Evangelicals are on a war path to try and obliterate Ang-Cath from knowledge in the Diocese (the B a-B himself has said it, albeit on the quiet), we don't hate them. We might loathe some of what they stand for. But we don't hate them. On the whole though we just get on with what we do...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarkycow,

Kindly remember that for quite a few of the denizens of Hell the Pax Romana is devilish, not to say Hellish; same applies to Saints' days.

I've got a very nice No15 surgical blade and a dermatome knife (you know one of those doo-dahs for shaving off skin grafts) right here and both are proof against shredders AND toasting -forks.

Some lateral thinking please!

all the worst,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

It is times like this that make me wish the Ship of Fools had streaming video.
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Seriously though, while the Sydney Evangelicals are on a war path to try and obliterate Ang-Cath from knowledge in the Diocese (the B a-B himself has said it, albeit on the quiet), we don't hate them. We might loathe some of what they stand for. But we don't hate them. On the whole though we just get on with what we do...

To be honest, having read a lot of his views and seen evidence of what he's done, no wonder evangelicals have a bad name in Sydney.

I have no sympathy with the man.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Dear Cosmo, as it was I who surmised that you were sulking...

Does this mean that you got a whiny, self-indulgent private message, too? Or was I the only lucky one?

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stupid as I am, I am most confounded when I see the term "cradle Episcopalian" listed among the qualifications for candidates for vestry or for diocesan offices. Why is the accident of being born into the Church any special virtue? ...

Okay, we all know you're not stupid. Again, I would give the "cradle Episcopalians" the benefit of the doubt, and just call it background info, not bragging.

Personally, I have NO opinion (as Jane Austen would say) of Mayflower types. Lousy Puritans.

Rossweisse // check: this IS Hell, right? Right.

[Devil]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It seems to be time to introduce the fabled Anglican Fight Song. As this is Hell, you may sing it out of key, and lose the beat all you like. Just don't let me hear you.

(to the tune of "God Bless America")

I am an Anglican,
I'm CofE.
Not a High Church
Nor a Low Church,
But Catholic and Protestant and FREE.
Not a Methodist,
Not a Lutheran,
Not a Baptist,
White with foam!
But I am an Anglican,
Just one step from Rrrrrrrrome,
I am an Anglican!
Via Media! Boom boom!

Rossweisse // who does the "boom booms" with particular elan

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting back to the OP, I'm proud of SC that he's proud to be an Anglican, whatever that is. You go, boy! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was caught up in work at the end of yesterday, and have only just had a chance to get back to read this.

This is NOT a call to hell for Coot. And not purely about a particular thread. I will PM Coot anyway. Erin - thanks for the link. Coot - I'm sorry, this is not intended to be personal.

It is about being called unanglican. Repeatedly. Being told I am wrong is fine. Being told that the way I do things is appaling, sacreligious, unpleasant whatever is par for the course. Being told that I am unanglican is not.

Wood - whose opinion I value higher than most others on this board - I take your point. In my defense, when I arrived on these boards, I had an ambivalent view of AC's. Edward Green, on the Small Fire board, gave me a much more positive view than I had previously had. It is the actions of a few on these boards who have demonstrated all that is bad about AC's. I apologise that I have sometimes lumped others into the same pot.

I started this thread because I wanted to leave the ship. Some part of me had had enough. And yet I knew that not having hell to shout at and rant in would be even worse. I need the safety valve. Thank you for providing that.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SC wrote:

quote:
Wood - whose opinion I value higher than most others on this board - I take your point. In my defense, when I arrived on these boards, I had an ambivalent view of AC's. Edward Green, on the Small Fire board, gave me a much more positive view than I had previously had. It is the actions of a few on these boards who have demonstrated all that is bad about AC's. I apologise that I have sometimes lumped others into the same pot.
My italics.

I'm invoking the little known "I sent you chocolate when you were a Host" clause here and hoping that this will make you more willing to listen to me.

People are just demonstrating what's good and bad about themselves. The fact that some of them may or may not be A-C's is actually completely irrelevant to the way they choose to conduct themselves.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
if you can hear faint cheering its me for Tubbs' last post. Well said Sir (sorry madam), well said.

Erin; I really did suggest that they were both sulking on the "where have all the the tat wahtsits gone" thread in MW.

no one PM's me, not even when I got 1000 posts. (bastards) [Waterworks]

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Oh, so Cosmo's got a hardon for me, too, just like Fiddleback. After all, I only echoed your sentiments, and I got a "poor widdle me" private message.

I'll private message you, Pyx_e, even if you do call me unChristian.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stupid as I am, I am most confounded when I see the term "cradle Episcopalian" listed among the qualifications for candidates for vestry or for diocesan offices. Why is the accident of being born into the Church any special virtue? I think it is irrelevant whether one has been an Episcopalian for over half a century (like myself) or was confirmed yesterday.

I never thought the phrase was meant as a qualification. I thought it was just information on a person's background.

I think a vestry composed entirely of cradle Episcopalians would not be good. A vestry composed entirely of people who had not grown up in the Episcopal church would also not be good. Since the congregation is a mix, the vestry should be a mix.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
People are just demonstrating what's good and bad about themselves. The fact that some of them may or may not be A-C's is actually completely irrelevant to the way they choose to conduct themselves.

Totally. I knew a guy some years back who'd been to university in Middlesex. He said that he didn't like Indians, because "all the Indians he's ever met had been ****ers". That amounted to about four people in the end.

I guess that this is what irks me about a lot of these smackdowns we seem to have - the idea that a whole BRANCH OF THE CHURCH (that was for Gregory's benefit, in case you hadn't noticed - and yes, I am in a foul mood this morning) is somehow morally corrupt because you've met a few members of it whom you didn't like.

That way prejudice and bigotry lies.

Sorry, Steve. Maybe you didn't mean it like that, but that's how it's been coming across recently.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And who the hell are you calling no one? [Razz]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
quote:

And who the hell are you calling no one? [Razz]
Exactly. [Razz] I bet you're gonna wish you'd never said that once we fill your inbox full of congratulatory messages [Snigger] [Devil]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
That way prejudice and bigotry lies.

Sorry, Steve. Maybe you didn't mean it like that, but that's how it's been coming across recently.

I am sorry if that is how I have been coming across. I don't generally mean it as such, but sometimes people catch me on a bad day. Maybe I have had too many bad days in the last few months.

In my defence ( m'lud ), I would point out that I have never accused the ACs of being unchristian or unanglican. I don't believe they are. I only ask for a similar curtesey to be extended to me. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Steve the Cat - in need of the weekend.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Sunny] Wood said nice things about me!

But I'm not actually anglocatholic.

[Also. I'm not godly. And um. Usually I'm a happy lucky decent guy, but um. After hanging around Northbridge today, 'decent' has to come off the list too]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016