homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What I want on my tombstone (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What I want on my tombstone
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about convinced cremation makes the most sense but just for grits and shins: what do you want on your tombstone?

[ 30. October 2009, 09:37: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also prefer cremation, so I have not put too much thought into that one. I have thought that the last stanza of St. Patrick’s Breastplate would be a good one:

quote:

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.
By Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

I think that sums it up quite nicely.

It would also be nice if it were here (the Silver Plume Cemetery just outside of Silver Plume, Colorado, which is a favorite spot of mine).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the old idea from the late and much lamented Spike Milligan:

quote:
I told you I was ill
Traditionally Quaker tombstones are simple affairs with just a name and dates - that is enough. However, if I was to be buried, which I'm not, or if my ashes were to be interred, which they won't be, I think I'd choose, were it up to me, which it won't be:

quote:
Continuing towards the Light
Actually

quote:
See you later
seems fairly appropriate, too.

[ 18. August 2009, 03:35: Message edited by: Wiff Waff ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
I rather like the old idea from the late and much lamented Spike Milligan:
quote:
I told you I was ill

Wiffles, great minds think alike; that was the first thing that came into my head when I read the OP.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kid Who Cracked
Shipmate
# 13963

- Posted      Profile for Kid Who Cracked   Email Kid Who Cracked   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing here there is to see
Move thyself along

Posts: 532 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Middle son wants on his:

BRB.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze

1950-2100

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have just acquired the rights to hubby's great-grandfather's grave in Highgate Cemetery, where there is room for two more, so we will have a classy tombstone.

On my bit I want John 19.22: 'What I have written, I have written'. My final revenge on over-zealous editors.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Book of Sirach 38: 31, 34:

All these rely upon their hands, and each is skilful in his own work... they keep stable the fabric of the world, and their prayer is in the practice of their trade.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Well, now I know
but alas that's of no use to you"

"Seems I got there before the Rapture"
(this would really be to spite some people who, in the mid 70's, pestered me with their divinely inspired knowledge of the Rapture within at most ten years. They're still around, all of them, in all their loving obnoxiousness.)

"I would have loved to be an optimist
but I knew it wouldn't work"

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patrick the less saintly
Shipmate
# 14355

- Posted      Profile for Patrick the less saintly   Email Patrick the less saintly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about John Gay's self-composed epitaph:
quote:
Life's a jest, and all things show it;
I thought so once and now I know it.

In all (perhaps undue) seriousness, I have always been impressed with the simplicity of Isaac Newton's tombstone: 'Hic depositum est quod mortale fuit Isaaci Newtoni' or 'here has been deposited that which was mortal of Issac Newton'. Of course, if somebody would take it upon themselves to erect next to this simple grave an enormous baroque memorial in polychromatic marble with an extremely laudatory verse in heroic couplets by one of the great poets of the English language, as they did for Newton, that would also be great.

--------------------
'[Your religion consists of] antiquarian culturally refined pseudo-Anglicanism'— Triple Tiara

Posts: 1802 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of us lacking inspiration in that department, here's a few ideas. One or two might not be suitable for granny and the budgie, but I hope I'm OK posting a link to a Flickr group?

Personally I've always fancied the anti-Victorian "Not sleeping but dead", or perhaps "I'm not dead yet..."

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"That's all folks" seems appropriate....

Rob.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"My other tomb is a mausoleum."

"If you can read this you are standing on my grave."

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A small brass plaque at the end of the pier, someplace at the seashore: Here lies Sir Kevin - he fell off his surfboard for the last time.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A favourite of mine is "see, honey, I told you it was serious", but I want (but won't get - too bloody expensive [Roll Eyes] )
quote:
let the dark come upon you, which shall be the darkness of god

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Free At Last! Free At Last!
Thank God, Almighty -
I'm Free At Last!

[nods to MLK]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I love both of these and am seriously considering using one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still no thinner

or

dead and loving it.

Actually I don't want a tombstone - i want a tree

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Resurgam
Shipmate
# 14891

- Posted      Profile for Resurgam     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are great!

I love the classics, so will go with:

Remember friend, as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so shall you be
Prepare for death and be with me.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Where does that come from, or is it a Zappa original? It sounds semi-familiar.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Now I know."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent several summers visiting graveyards for fun, some years ago. I'm actually not too bothered about any messages for my tombstone, but I did like the assertion of a tombstone in a graveyard just outside Wrexham, North Wales:

"Prayer works! I know because I tried it!"

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Resurgam:

There is the (alleged) husband and wife variant on that, where the husband's epitaph goes:

As I am now, so you must be.
Therefore prepare to follow me.

and the wife's -

To follow you I'm not content.
How do I know which way you went?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Resurgam
Shipmate
# 14891

- Posted      Profile for Resurgam     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Resurgam:

There is the (alleged) husband and wife variant on that, where the husband's epitaph goes:

As I am now, so you must be.
Therefore prepare to follow me.

and the wife's -

To follow you I'm not content.
How do I know which way you went?

[Killing me] [Overused]
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was visiting an old cemetery and saw this tombstone from the 1800's - it had this delicate woman's hand with the index finger pointing sweetly upwards and the inscription

Gone Home

along with her name and the dates of her life.

In fact, I have a photo of it on my refrigerator...may sound strange but I find it a comfort. I'll take that, please.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Where does that come from, or is it a Zappa original? It sounds semi-familiar.

Huia

Not original (nothing I say is!): TS Eliot.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might not have thought of it if not for the shipmate with the same name, but I quite like the idea of "Resurgam." In my case it would be a rigor-mortised digit raised to Spineless the ex (name changed to protect the guilty), sub-text: "Dead or alive, I still have more Latin than you."

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pasco
Shipmate
# 388

- Posted      Profile for Pasco   Email Pasco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Say Tis Utterly Not True.
Posts: 997 | From: Domiciling 'ere, living locally. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not original, but I like

PARDON MY DUST

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I love both of these and am seriously considering using one. [Big Grin]
Why not go with:

"Hey friend! Spare a moment to remove these weeds!"

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're standing on my foot

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want this from 'The Battle of Maldon' poem:

he węs on Noržumbran hardes cynnęs

('He was of hard Northumbrian kin')

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul Eddington, star of Yes Minister, once charmingly said he'd like the epitaph "He did very little harm", which I think is lovely, as long as you can claim it's true.

Alternatively, I'd go for the unoriginal but beautiful "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well". (Julian of Norwich).

Or, if the stonemason was up to it, what Alaric said. As I get older, I realise I'm more Northumbrian than English.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good friend, for Jesus' sake forbear
To dig the dust enclos-ed here.
Blest be he that spares these stones
And curst be he who moves these bones.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
W.C.Fields hated his home town of Philadelphia. At his request, his tombstone in California says.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an obituary in the Guardian today. In the first paragraph it said:

He gave much more than he took.

I thought that was a wonderful thing to be able to say about someone, perfect for a tombstone.

Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While waiting for a car repair yesterday, I walked through the old Irish cemetery in town. It contains the graves of most of the famine immigrants to this area, as well as their children and grandchildren.

The older stones were interesting. Instead of leading off with the name of the deceased, many read "Erected by Somebody O'Something in memory of her husband ...". Most also included their home parish and county in Ireland.

One stopped me in my tracks:

Of your mercy, pray for the soul of
Catherine Shea
who died ...

I'm not sure what good Episcopalian prayers do for a long dead Catholic, but I did it.

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moran
Apprentice
# 14195

- Posted      Profile for Moran   Email Moran   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some good ones here! [Smile]

And I think "Next?" has an ambiguous flair.

--------------------
We can always hope!

Posts: 39 | From: Madison Wisconsin USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather liked:

Here lie I, Martin Elginbrod,
Hae Maircy on my soule, Lorde Gode,
As I wad dae, were I Lorde Gode
And ye were Martin Elginbrod.

But then, he was a Calvinist and pretty sure he was OK.....

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want, in really small letters you have to get really close to read:

Get off, you're standing on my bollocks.

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd probably get what I deserve: 'Always trying', although 'This is the end of the beginning' would be more suitably cryptic.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lapsed heathen

Hurler on the ditch
# 4403

- Posted      Profile for lapsed heathen   Email lapsed heathen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Aways liked this lyric as an epitaph.

--------------------
"We are the Easter people and our song is Alleluia"

Posts: 1361 | From: Marble county | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not even sure yet whether I'd prefer to be buried or cremated, let alone what epitaph I'd like. But as a tangent, I do want God be in my heart and If you love me at the service. If it's possible, I'd prefer Psalm 130 to 23 as well. I've given firm instructions to both Madame and Dlet.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'll be back"

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lapsed heathen:
quote:
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Aways liked this lyric as an epitaph.
It may be advisable to ask Leonard Cohen for his permission.

[ 24. August 2009, 16:12: Message edited by: joris2 ]

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sgk:
...The older stones were interesting...

One stopped me in my tracks:

Of your mercy, pray for the soul of
Catherine Shea
who died ...

I'm not sure what good Episcopalian prayers do for a long dead Catholic, but I did it.

I like that. Let me go on record to say put that on mine, except change the Catherine to ebeth or whatever they're calling me by then.
Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading the poem Lucinda Matlock in a high school literature class, and have never forgotten it.

Write for me:

I had lived enough, that is all,
And passed to a sweet repose.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mostly Harmless" would do it for me.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Curb That Dog!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016