homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We look forward to several new additions to the Ship's deckhand brigade this year. Please keep us posted here on all your Great Expectations!

[ 12. May 2007, 08:02: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FoaT you are right, and I am already sick of all these oh you need this, you can not live without this, it is a bad a wedding...some things are needed such as a car seat new as with a used one is considered dangerous. Some things are very good second hand and any I am offered will be gratfully recieved for example a baby bath(I decided this is needed as I find the bathroom too cold to bath in and a baby needs to keep warm with a bath I can bath baby in front of fire). The problem is we are a long way from ny friends and work the main sorce of aquantances has another bub comming just before mine. Still Opshops(read charaty shops in UK) will also be a good source. A few things will be new and everything we buy will be thought about as to its use. I feel I am being mean but I want to be realalistic. Just honnestly you could spend forever buying this and that and a cute this and that to go with it.

Sean made the cosleeper in 44c heat in a hot shed painted it now just needs another layer or two of paint and a way of making it legs...looks so good I can't wait to use it. Will be a while.

Have my 12 week appt tuesday. Excited but also a very silly thought keeps comming in what if it isn't viable? I could happen but is unlikely...then I have heard it is that before every milestone some get nervous so I wont be alone. Lovely Sean is on holidays so he can come.

Been sick thought it was just morningsickness but became gastro so no work and rest and so on I was doing. Sean has been looking after me which has been lovely. Back pain is all gone(thank God)

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For your little one, Bronwyn, and
[Votive] [Votive] For you. May you be blessed with peace of mind.

(Off now to fill the second-hand dresser with second-third-and-fourth-hand clothes...)

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
blackaxe
Shipmate
# 10622

- Posted      Profile for blackaxe   Author's homepage   Email blackaxe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hi guys. I didn't post on the previous Shippies expecting thread but read it a few times. Mr B and I (as many on the Down Under threads would know) are expecting a Hatchet on 7 July 06.

Bronwyn I know how you feel about the 12 wk scan - we were very nervous about it, and not for any good reason either. But that doesn't stop you from feeling worried and I can empathise with that.

As for spending money - it can get ridiculous and stupid. We are going to look at second hand stuff as well as new because some people trade stuff in after the first one is born, even if they have a 2nd or 3rd child! But that's the North Shore 'must have the best' attitude I'd say...

It might even be worth your while taking a trip to the city to go to one of those massive baby shop barns as apparently the more you buy in one hit, the bigger the discount they give you (up to 25-30% off my friends have told me). My mother also has been raving about Baby Target, but I don't know if they are anywhere except in places like Sydney and Newcastle.

[ 01. January 2006, 22:20: Message edited by: blackaxe ]

--------------------
I will dwell in the (architect-designed) house of the Lord forever...

Posts: 285 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can expectant Grandparents post, too?

My daughter-in-law is in labor right now with my very first Grand! [Axe murder]

Any prayers for the safety of Laura (the Mom) and Winter (the child) will be very appreciated by Daughter-Unit and me!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been expecting 2006 for ages... [Biased]

Bronnie Dearest, will be praying. And Jedijudy, how wonderful! Have fun with all the cuddling!

[Votive]

Love to all for a blessed (and productive) New Year.

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJB?

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter-in-law is still in labor. [Tear]

Poor Sweetheart.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guess JJB is just recovering before posting. Jedijudy your poor daughter in law.

I went to the 12 week scan and all went as planned except my bloodpressure was really low, I mean so low the midwife took it 4 times, I am usually normal with my bloodpressure so it would explain why I have been feeling tired and crazing salt. Will check it again in a week, the joys of being a nurse I can do that see. Low blood pressure isnt a problem really high is worse.

Sean was able to come and guess what? the baby waved at us!!!! So cute and starting to look like a baby not a blob.

So exciting. Sean has nearly finnished the baby cot. We bought a teddy bear for the baby today hope s/he like him. This baby is going to be spoilt if we are not careful.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So glad it went well, Bronwyn!

I'm with others on the amount of stuff you need to buy - we borrowed or got second-hand a lot of what we used. The baby is hardly going to care if the buggy is the latest model!

On the other hand, decorating and setting up the nursery is one of the nicest parts of expecting a baby, so why not enjoy it as much as you can!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronwyn:

Sean was able to come and guess what? the baby waved at us!!!! So cute and starting to look like a baby not a blob.

Hlad it went well. Although I still do call our baby blob. I just got so used to it during Annie's pregnancy.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sean was able to come and guess what? the baby waved at us!!!!

Little Hutch waved at us during the scan too [Big Grin]

quote:
This baby is going to be spoilt if we are not careful.
You can be as careful as you can, and the kid still gets spoilt. Sometimes there's no controlling grandparents, other relatives and friends. Not that I'm complaining having just got back from the US with inexpensive stroller, car seat, snuggly and assorted clothes largely from the generosity of family and church friends.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackaxe
Shipmate
# 10622

- Posted      Profile for blackaxe   Author's homepage   Email blackaxe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bronwyn glad to hear all is well with the non-blob baby. We are calling our bub 'The Project' (i am an architect so its kinda appropriate)... we intend on using this name as much as possible for the entire pregnancy as we want to find out the sex of the child but not spill the beans to anyone else. I realise this is a difficult task hence the need to call it something very non-gender specific!!!

As for spoilt grandchildren, many of the Christmas presents to my husband and I were for the future bundle of joy - so we have been relegated already and the bub is nowhere near arriving on the planet! Being the first grandchild on both sides of the family also means that the bub will be a virtual celebrity for a while I am sure. The next thing you know he/she will be charging for photo ops... [Biased]

--------------------
I will dwell in the (architect-designed) house of the Lord forever...

Posts: 285 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm here, but I'm not pregnant any more! Ended up having an emergency caesarean as the inhabitant didn't like the induction process, but we're both fine now. She was eventually born on December 30th, 15 days late. So much for late ones being boys! She's gorgeous, and already has her father wrapped firmly round her little finger!

Many thanks for all the good wishes and support over the past months.

JJB

Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] [Smile]

Congratulations from Anne, Matthew and Me.

Glad you're both doing well.

[Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So glad that all is well.

Congratulations!! [Smile]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations JJB!! [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Bron, say after me: this baby is going to be indulged, not spoiled. Indulged, not spoiled.... [Big Grin]

I don't post on these threads often, but you all are in my prayers.

JJB: way to go! That's the way the Amosling came into the world. She also had her father wrapped around her finger from Day 1. Have you got a name yet?

Jedijudy: [Votive]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done JJB!!

Bron and Sean and Bellybaby! [Yipee] I remember Holly waving at us and now there she is in the kitchen revising for Psychology exams...

Sheesh, I'm SO glad I listened to those people who told me how quickly it passed and to enjoy every minute! (Childhood, NOT pregnancy! [Ultra confused] )

Love to you all, Bron.

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations JJB! Glad to hear that the little lass finally arrived safe and sound.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay!! Congrats JJB! [Big Grin] Many happy years to come! [Axe murder] [Yipee]

--------------------

Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations JJB [Big Grin]

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Congratulations JJB! I'm so happy for you!

I would like to announce that I am a Grandma!!! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

Winter was born (a caesarian birth) this morning at 6:29 a.m. My son assures me that she is the "cutest baby ever".

Daughter-Unit and I will drive up to see them tomorrow.

I can't wait! [Big Grin] [Axe murder]

[two excited to speel rite]

[ 04. January 2006, 00:11: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearty congratulations to JJB and Jedijudy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some things are very good second hand and any I am offered will be gratfully recieved for example a baby bath(I decided this is needed as I find the bathroom too cold to bath in and a baby needs to keep warm with a bath I can bath baby in front of fire).

You are quite right that second-hand is fine and that most of the stuff they sell is just that: stuff. A lot of things can be improvised; both my kids, as infants, took naps in a laundry basket padded with a blanket.

It's also hard to predict what is going to be the "essential" piece of equipment for you and your baby. We got one of those wind-up swing things because some friends found it a godsend dealing with their infant. I ended up passing it along to someone else after about a month because I didn't use it enough to justify tripping over it the rest of the time. So buying cheap or begging or borrowing definitely makes sense.

At the time my kids were born, our drafty old farmhouse was heated by a single woodstove and it was cold! I never gave them actual baths until they were old enough to sit up by themselves (and it was warm weather), at which time I took them into the tub with me to play in shallow water. The normal washing off during diaper changes and cleaning up spit-up and drool and a bit of sponge-bathing here and there (be sure to wash the head/hair once in a while) is more than sufficient to keep a baby clean. And extracting part of the baby to sponge bathe it while leaving the rest bundled up keeps the baby warmer than being plunked naked into a tub of water.

Glad all is going well and feel free to ignore me. I just love giving baby advice and I'm sure you're getting lots! [Big Grin]

Congrats to JJB and Grandma JediJudy, too!

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as I have absolutely no desire to be a mother, I never expected to post here. But if grandmothers can I guess a godmother can. [Yipee]

My godson Bobby is due in mid-March and I'm starting to get excited. Went to a craft store yesterday and bought some cross stitch patterns of "Prayers for Little Ones" with teddy bears and bunnies. Tres cute!

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats on all the new arrivals!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congrats JJB & jedijudy!
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Thanks for all the kind thoughts! D-U and I will be leaving in about an hour to see our little Sweetheart. (And her parents!)

I'll post pictures later.

--------------------

Luisa

Concrete Jesus
# 7761

- Posted      Profile for Luisa   Email Luisa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who has a new-ish baby, and being number 3, I have realised that second hand is as good as first hand.

Congratulations to all who have just has little babies, and congratulations Bronwyn.

--------------------
"You know your kids are grown up when they stop asking where they came from, and wont tell you where they're going" P.J O'Rouke

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congrats to JJB and also to GrannyJedi [Biased]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congratulations to you both, JJB and the JediGranny.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

If anyone is interested, my sweetie can be seen in these photos.

(I had forgotten how tiny and soft the little ones are!) [Axe murder]

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
awwwww. So cute.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
If anyone is interested, my sweetie can be seen in these photos.

(I had forgotten how tiny and soft the little ones are!) [Axe murder]

She's just gorgeous, Grandma! Thank you for giving us the chance to coo. [Axe murder] [Angel]

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello. I'm new here. I'm expecting my first baby in March. We don't know what it is going to be - we call it Beeb and sometimes I say "he" and sometimes I say "she", though my parents jump on me every time I use a gender-specific term, as if I might have hit upon a new mysterious way of finding out without the aid of ultrasound.

I'm a bit nervous and quite tired (still another four weeks at work). So I started reading these boards in the evenings because it was like listening in to an interesting conversation without the pressure of having to think of something sensible to say myself (often impossible for me these days).

Congratulations to you new mums and grandma (lovely pictures) and good luck to the other expectants.

Posy

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Hello, Posy (hello little Beeb! [Axe murder] ) and welcome.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I'm getting a bit fed up with this.

I'm tired, I'm grumpy, my back hurts nearly all the time except when I lie down, and I seem to be rapidly losing the ability to bend over. This all seems to be taking a ridiculously long time already, and I'm only 26 weeks.

And I'm getting increasingly worried about what happens when the baby arrives - I don't even like children! Especially all the ones I had to deal with over Christmas who were thoroughly horrible.

Please somebody reassure me all this is fairly normal, and that I'll cheer up soon.

(PS - Hi Posy! And congrats to the new arrivals!)

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All other children but one's own are horrid nasty little specimens of sludge.

No, no I don't mean it! [Yipee]

What I really mean is, even when you aren't crazy about kids in general, kids en masse, kids in malls and schools and churches, you will love your own. You will even like your own, sometimes. You understand your own and you work out how to cope with your own. It will be fine, Ratmama. [Big Grin]

But as for this:
quote:
... I'm tired, I'm grumpy, my back hurts nearly all the time except when I lie down, and I seem to be rapidly losing the ability to bend over...
Welcome to my world. And I'm not even pregnant, so no reward for me at the end of it! whimper whine moan poor little me...

Congratulations to all -- yes, get used stuff, get loaned stuff, live as simply as you can.

Breastfeed if you can so you'll just have to tuck a change of clothing and a diaper or two in your purse, and then you can run along, you and Baby.

My little ones shifted around the house and yard with me in a wicker laundry basket as well, jlg. [Smile]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Thank you all for letting me share my baby photos! [Big Grin]

Welcome Posy and little Beeb!

(((Rat))) I think it's perfectly normal to be a bit wary starting out on a journey of any kind where you don't know the exact outcome. Babies seem to have this wonderful knack of helping Mama to forget the discomfort and worries experienced during pregnancy. As a previously not-thrilled-about-kids person, my children have turned into the joys of my life. I hope you will have that same report for us in a few years! [Smile]

--------------------

Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat, don't worry about not liking 'children in the lump' - I don't either, and am exceptionally good at making them cry just by holding them! I was worried that I would feel the same way about my own, but all those people who told me so often 'oh, but it's different when it's your own' were aggravatingly (and fortunately!) right! Speaking from the vast experience of a whole 10 days of motherhood, but it's true so far.

JJB

Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
holly

Mine's a double
# 689

- Posted      Profile for holly   Author's homepage   Email holly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to JJB and Jedijudy on your new arrivals.

[Axe murder]

holly xx

--------------------
If i had a million dollars. Id buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)

Posts: 733 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tired (most of the time), grumpy (some of the time) and struggling to bend down (all the time) are all things I can identify with, along with that sinking feeling every time I realise that being pregnant hasn't made me like other people's children any more than I did before.

Rat - I think we have to trust everyone who tells us that we will like our own!

I'm looking forward to holding Beeb, but part of me isn't looking forward to not being pregnant anymore. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Posy

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never even held a baby until I had my own - and strongly suspected I had no maternal instincts whatever - but that miracle occurred in those first few hours after childbirth for me. It was quite a surprise, but the power of babies to surprise me still keeps me lining up at church for a cuddle with the latest new arrival. And now I am decidedly clucky again, as my eldest daughter gave birth yesterday to her second son. MMMM, that baby smell! I just love it.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

What they said.

But I'm still not convinced that I like babies, except for my own. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh-oh. I LOVE babies. I like holding them, talking to them. I even find that when they fuss, fretting moms take them back before I'm necessarily ready to give them up.

I have only vague notions of how diapering and bathing work, I've had few chances to get up close and personal with the business end of a baby... but I just sort of assume we'll get that figured out- probably before anyone actually drowns. You keep the breathing end above water, right?

[ 10. January 2006, 11:46: Message edited by: Fool of a Took ]

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately my issue isn't so much with babies, which I've always found reasonably bearable, but with children. I had two of them (4 & 6) in my house over New Year and they were absolutely insufferable. Don't get me started on the reasons why or we'll probably wind up in Hell! But the squeaky voices certainly didn't help.

However, I suspect this may be down to my mental state more than anything else. Chatting to people since I came back to work, it seems they were inflicted with children behaving in similar ways over Christmas, and found stuff that seemed downright psychotic to me to be not just bearable but amusing and even endearing...I think I may be over-reacting a bit.

I'm sure you are all right, and all will fall into place once the wee one arrives.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat

I am unchild, but have two famillies that I join with at times. As far as I can see there are two types of behaviour that will annoy you and whether your children will do it will be different in the two.

First is behaviour that is antithetical to your approach to life. Your kids will not go for this sort of naughty behaviour as nature and nuture work together to eliminate it.

Second is the behaviour that actually points to your own weak spots. This your kids will do, and will know exactly how to wind you up by doing it. You tend to love them anyway.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you DON'T fall in love with your newborn immediately, don't worry. Lots of people do it over the course of the next month or so. Your first post-birth impression may be simply, "Whew, glad that's over, now may I go to sleep please?"

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
Unfortunately my issue isn't so much with babies, which I've always found reasonably bearable, but with children. I had two of them (4 & 6) in my house over New Year and they were absolutely insufferable. Don't get me started on the reasons why or we'll probably wind up in Hell! But the squeaky voices certainly didn't help.

However, I suspect this may be down to my mental state more than anything else. Chatting to people since I came back to work, it seems they were inflicted with children behaving in similar ways over Christmas, and found stuff that seemed downright psychotic to me to be not just bearable but amusing and even endearing...I think I may be over-reacting a bit.

I'm sure you are all right, and all will fall into place once the wee one arrives.

On the whole, I loathe the offspring of other people after about 5 minutes in their company. However, I am quite fond of my own, and it takes hours before I wish them gone.

You should find your wee one very nice, even if you don't ever like anyone else's brat.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016