homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Dear, Sweet Canada! Please save us!!! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Dear, Sweet Canada! Please save us!!!
Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

- Posted      Profile for Christian Agnostic   Email Christian Agnostic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hordes of Right-wingnut Republican Barbarians are at the gates. We are DOOMED! Please join the U.S. You would be the largest state in land mass, but more importantly, the 2nd largest (after California) in population. Please help us, the fate of western civilization lies in your hands [Help] [Help] [Help]

[ 02. March 2011, 20:16: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Words to the wise: Don't read Kierkegaard when you're 16, and always set B.S. detectors to 11. "How can I sing a strange song in the Lord's land?"

Posts: 493 | From: The Great North Woods | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Save us Hell. Invade western Washington State and annex us to B.C. That's all.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Save us Hell. Invade western Washington State and annex us to B.C. That's all.

Don't be selfish! Keep going all the way down to the Mexican border.

Really we could have a quite nice upside-down-U-shaped Blue State/Canadian Federation and let the Red States do their thing on their own w/o our taxes subsidizing them...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
w/o our taxes subsidizing them...

That's the rub, isn't it? Fucking ungrateful. We subsidize them for millions of dollars and they bitch about being taxed.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're coming to town today. I'm tempted to head down and watch. [Two face]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That Declaration of Independence isn't look like such a good idea now, is it?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've got the Gatlin Brothers????

NOOOOOOOO!!!! [Waterworks]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could we maybe consider doing this gradually - Canadians like to brood for a couple hundred years on choices such as this one.
Maybe, we could begin by making Florida a province of Canada (y'all can keep a certain former Governor whose initials are JEB) and after we assess the effects of this first step, we could hold a constutional conference and begin to debate the issue, not just until the cows come home, but until their distant descendants die of old age and cows, in fact, become extinct.
But Canadian health care for us when we visit Florida, with cheap condos on the market there - I think we would probably like that.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadians, by the way, spell the word "constitutional" different from what y'all do down there!

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:

Maybe, we could begin by making Florida a province of Canada (y'all can keep a certain former Governor whose initials are JEB) and after we assess the effects of this first step, we could hold a constutional conference and begin to debate the issue, not just until the cows come home, but until their distant descendants die of old age and cows, in fact, become extinct.

Is Vermont a better candidate?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christian Agnostic:
Hordes of Right-wingnut Republican Barbarians are at the gates. We are DOOMED! Please join the U.S. You would be the largest state in land mass, but more importantly, the 2nd largest (after California) in population. Please help us, the fate of western civilization lies in your hands [Help] [Help] [Help]

Canada would come in as way more than just one state. They have ten provinces, plus some territories. Even if Quebec opted out (which would be likely), there would be at least six or seven new blue states and the Senate would no longer be burdened with filibusters.

[ 12. September 2010, 16:46: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dear dims,

Please take your lumps without all the whining.

Thank you!

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you take Ohio, you'll have all of lake Erie, [Razz]

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

- Posted      Profile for Christian Agnostic   Email Christian Agnostic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
They're coming to town today. I'm tempted to head down and watch. [Two face]

Yes, Dick Armey and his "Dick Army"(I'm sorry,I know that's sophomoric, but I couldn't help myself [Hot and Hormonal] ) are storming the Commie-Pinko Bastille.

Glad to see you Roman(cave)lion. So when the Republican Regnum and Imperium take over, will they start throwing us to the lions? Of course Armey worships at the Altar of Ayn Rand so America will just end up in anarchy and a failed state, Ripe pickings for China to take us over. [Eek!] [Killing me] [Razz]

--------------------
Words to the wise: Don't read Kierkegaard when you're 16, and always set B.S. detectors to 11. "How can I sing a strange song in the Lord's land?"

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a good thing I finished my coffee before I signed on to the Ship. So 1776 isn't looking like such a good idea eh?

Lessee, Washington, Arizona, Vermont, Ohio... BTW owning all of Lake Erie isn't much of an attraction, two times a dump is still a dump.

In return for higher taxes you will receive universal health care and a criminal system with no death penalty. Oh, and a banking system that is actually solvent.

I expect Her Majesty will want an apology from the Lost Provinces before considering their (re)admission.

I'll get the Maple Leaf Flags in the mail for everyone then. [Smile]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack of Sarmatia
Apprentice
# 13913

- Posted      Profile for Jack of Sarmatia   Email Jack of Sarmatia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found the existence of Canada somewhat reassuring; like a transatlantic Denmark, but with bigger scenery.

--------------------
The past has a vote, not a veto.

Posts: 40 | From: Ilium Extramural | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

Wait a dog gone minute!!!! My OP has been hi-jacked! Is Outrage! Canada is supposed to become a part of us. Also, they'll need to learn how to speak good ol' American. You can start by trying to pronounce "about" properly!

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have no wish to associate ourselves with the misguided stain of rebellion against Her Majesty.

Besides, if we're right and you're wrong, you get to join us, not the other way around.

Your assimilation will proceed with the alphabet, starting with the letter "zed." We shall then move on to the proper use of the letter "u" and the proper spelling of words like "centre". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pretty remarkable how you people are sore losers even before you have actually lost! Just like the South Carolinians of 1860! All that's missing is the left-wing equivalent of Dixie and Maryland, my Maryland.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadians for World Domination might have a thing or two to say about this. They've even got maps.

Seriously, though, you don't want Canada to join the USA (which would just ruin Canada). Much better for all concerned if the vaguely civilised bits of the USA decide to become Canadian provinces.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowhund:
It's pretty remarkable how you people are sore losers even before you have actually lost! Just like the South Carolinians of 1860! All that's missing is the left-wing equivalent of Dixie and Maryland, my Maryland.

I don't know about a version for "Maryland My Maryland", but I do love "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". That might be a stirring song for us "Commie-Pinko" Christians.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. Commie-Pinkos would never have a "Battle Hymn."

On the original point, if we right-wingers take over the US, we can work with that wonderful chap, Harper, to take Canada next. After consolidating North America we can retake the British Isles for right-wingism.

Today Canada. Tomorrow the world!

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In memory of that other Illinoisan, here is the first verse of "Maryland, Sweet Maryland"

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland, my Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland, my Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

(sorry, ETA tune is "Tannenbaum")

The present fella isn't the only rep from there to have really annoyed the right-wingers!

I'd like to add the following hymn for Republicans:

(to the tune of In the Sweet By and By)

There's a land that is hotter than this.
It's a place where Republicans go!
Where their sins and their misdeeds are known,
And justice from the people shall flow.

They will sweat
(By and by)
They will fret
(by and by)
They will weep in the torments below!
They will sweat, they will fret
And will reap all the pain that they sow.

(I copied both of these from Ship posts BTW. A mine of useful information!)

[ 12. September 2010, 23:08: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
.. we can retake the British Isles for right-wingism.

I used to hope, by that point, to be living in the Scottish Republic.

Now I hope, by that point, to be living in Luxembourg, or some other such suitably civilised (i.e. not overrun with right-wing nut jobs) place.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Could we maybe consider doing this gradually - Canadians like to brood for a couple hundred years on choices such as this one.
But Canadian health care for us when we visit Florida, with cheap condos on the market there - I think we would probably like that.

Florida's iffy... how 'bout California? Al the advantages of Florida w/o the humidity!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

In return for higher taxes you will receive universal health care and a criminal system with no death penalty. Oh, and a banking system that is actually solvent.

Done.

quote:

I expect Her Majesty will want an apology from the Lost Provinces before considering their (re)admission.

Hey, half us Blue States were never a part of the Empire in the first place. And Geo. III was... well... a lot like our last George.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Wait a dog gone minute!!!! My OP has been hi-jacked! Is Outrage! Canada is supposed to become a part of us. Also, they'll need to learn how to speak good ol' American. You can start by trying to pronounce "about" properly!

Hey, the way my BC hubby says "out and about" is one of his most charming features! Don't mess w/ that!

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The price of your salvation is a little grovelling. [Snigger]

And you'll have to learn to speak more gratefully of His Late Majesty George III.

Making every city, town, village and hamlet in the Lost Provinces have one of: King Street, Queen Street, George Street or Charlotte Street would be a good start.

Every settlement in Ontario has one of the above.

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this mean we can appropriate Don Cherry and Tim Hortons as American cultural icons?
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

You will, of course, be required to put one-half ounce of white vinegar on each serving of french fries, unless eaten with fish, in which case, malt vinegar becomes mandatory.
Eating bear claws and butter tarts, however, should be easy to get used to.
But pit bulls shall be banned as pets, and all guns must be registered, stored in locked cases, and have trigger locks attached.
If you come to Alberta, grizzly bears and cougars will constantly stalk you through the deep, never-ending snow.
Oh, and most of our politicians are, umm, a little difficult to listen to for more than ten seconds at a time.
Really, wouldn't you sooner give us Florida just to have us go away?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
You will, of course, be required to put one-half ounce of white vinegar on each serving of french fries, unless eaten with fish, in which case, malt vinegar becomes mandatory.
Eating bear claws and butter tarts, however, should be easy to get used to.
But pit bulls shall be banned as pets, and all guns must be registered, stored in locked cases, and have trigger locks attached.
If you come to Alberta, grizzly bears and cougars will constantly stalk you through the deep, never-ending snow.
Oh, and most of our politicians are, umm, a little difficult to listen to for more than ten seconds at a time.
Really, wouldn't you sooner give us Florida just to have us go away?

Hey, I'm not trying to get rid of you... I'm trying to join you! That's why I think Calif. should be in line ahead of Florida-- we're way bluer, and have nicer weather.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
Does this mean we can appropriate Don Cherry and Tim Hortons as American cultural icons?

No. They remain Canadian, you unfortunate rebels will receive the honour of being annexed to this glorious land, not the other way around.

Time to start stripping stars off Old Glory.

Speaking of guns, reminds me of a story of a coworker's father who lived in Virginia. He kept a Handgun (loaded of course) in his night table. He decided to clean it one day and it went off accidentally. Between his legs, of course, though it missed the important bits.

I can understand owning a handgun. I can understand keeping one in your night table. I can even understand the desire to keep it loaded. What I cannot understand is the need to clean it in bed instead of taking to the garage and cleaning it there, where the oil and rags and such belong. I'm also dumbfounded as to why he didn't clear the action as a matter of course.

See? These are the things we are going to save you from.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a proper example following up on SPK's advice, may I offer St. Mary's Anglican Church in Chatham, NB, loctaed on the block of Wellington Street between King and Queen Streets?

Or, of course, Fredericton, NB, with Queen, King, Brunswick, George and Charlotte Streets, all crossed by Regent. The Cathedral is on Brunswick, just to keep the German royal connection in perspective.

A little more of that sort of thing would be good for the rebels.

Not that I think the Loyalists up here would want much to do with the kind of attitude shown by their not-so-freedom-loving neighbours.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I myself have attended churches located on streets with names such as George and Regent. The village with Regent Street had the Anglican, Baptist and United Churches all on that street, plus the United Church's manse, where I lived. In that village Regent Street was crossed by Albert Street.

Another church I went to was on Church Street, which faced Victoria Square and King Street.

Metropolitan United Church, Toronto is on Queen Street.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

In Erin, Ontario, the manse is covered in Presbyterian blue siding, and is located at 26 Scotch Street, as in a 26-ouncer of scotch!
In Atwood, the Presbyterian Church is located on the corner of Church and Monument Street, and there is one main road leading into town, which ends at a T-intersection facing the picture window in the Presbyterian manse. This allows everyone who comes into town to shine their headlight high beams, and learn whether the minister is at home sitting on his sofa, and just what is in his shot glass.

None of which is nearly as strange as Tinkling Springs Presbyterian Church in the state of New Jersey, Hole in the Wall Presbyterian Church in California, or Three Chopped Presbyterian Church in Virginia, so Canada still come out as the overall winner.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All right people, breathe deeply.

I'm trying to decide where to send this -- Heaven or The Circus.

Too frivolous for the Circus.

Up you go.

John Holding
Purgatory Host

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you become part of Canada, the national dish will, of course, be seal-flipper pie.

We've just spent seven years getting Permanent Residence in Canada and we're not going through all that again, eh?

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See the Canadians for World Domination website mentioned above for the recipe.

First club your seal.

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that the northern states brought it on themselves: They should have let the separatists form their own country instead of fighting the Civil War to force the Confederacy into the fold. Had they done that, the Northern USA today could govern themselves properly and they could laugh as the crazy southern Confederacy made endless stupid political decisions.

While I don't live in the States and don't have much insider knowledge, on the face of it the idea of the USA splitting today into two entities does seem plausible, since the political division seems quite geographically split.

In the mean time, the rest of the Western world will continue to laugh at the USA and roll our eyes at how far behind the rest of the world the USA is falling.

quote:
Please help us, the fate of western civilization lies in your hands [Help] [Help] [Help]

The fate of western civilization?
[Killing me] Um, yeah, like the USA matters to any of us in the rest of the West. The rest of western civilization left the USA in its dust decades ago. The fall of the USA is now merely a political and historical curiosity to the rest of us.

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe, we could begin by making Florida a province of Canada

Can't.

Miami is already a suburb of both Cuba and New York City. The Conch Republic will fight anyone trying to make them do anything, and the Crackers don't believe in snow. But y'all come and visit! [Big Grin] Bring money.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

Making every city, town, village and hamlet in the Lost Provinces have one of: King Street, Queen Street, George Street or Charlotte Street would be a good start.

Every settlement in Ontario has one of the above.

I live 2 blocks from Via Del Rey, will that do? I think there's a La Reina Way around here somewhere too....

--------------------

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

quote:
Originally posted by Starlight:
It seems to me that the northern states brought it on themselves: They should have let the separatists form their own country instead of fighting the Civil War to force the Confederacy into the fold. Had they done that, the Northern USA today could govern themselves properly and they could laugh as the crazy southern Confederacy made endless stupid political decisions.

Possibly. But, at the risk of being a bit purgatorial again, the South didn't really go all right-wing until after the civil war. The old planter aristocracies had been surprising liberal, except for the one issue of slavery, and the poor white had been just as radical as northerners before the civil war and the onset of recontruction and industrialisation decimated their way of life.

The things that the South had in common with Canada were a stronger communitarian (rather than individualist) culture, a more deferential society, and lots of Scottish and Scots-Irish blood. It's no accident that the battle flag of the confederacy and the flag of Nova Scotia have a certain passing similarity of design.

I've often wondered how things would have worked out differently if the South had accepted British help in the civil war in return for the gradual phasing out of slavery and accepting dominion status with Victoria as "Queen of the Southern States".

Perhaps the South, under Canadian-style institutions, would have developed into a civilised, genteel country with educated people and universal health care. On the other hand, it might have ended up looking a bit like the Union of South Africa, with the unsettled race issue permanently skewing its politics. This is, of course, pure speculation, but it is an interesting idea for an alternative history novel.

It might have come be a bit late for George Streets, Charlottle Streets and Regent Streets, but it would have had its share of Victoria Streets, Albert Streets and Adelaide Streets.

quote:

While I don't live in the States and don't have much insider knowledge, on the face of it the idea of the USA splitting today into two entities does seem plausible, since the political division seems quite geographically split.

Indeed - although the scale of the difference is grossly distorted by the winner-takes-all electoral system. There are few "red" or "blue" states; there are lots of unnoticed "purple" ones, where a large minority of the population are effectively voiceless - and this adds to the sense of frustration and political alienation.

quote:
In the mean time, the rest of the Western world will continue to laugh at the USA and roll our eyes at how far behind the rest of the world the USA is falling.
Indeed. It is quite fun, in a sad way, watching the USA self-destruct before our eyes; like watching the fall of the Roman Republic played out live on Fox News and CNN.

But the problem is that they are dragging the rest of us down with it. Look at the mess caused in Britain by being the poodle to America: the untaming of capitalism, the destruction of the social market economy, two expensive and unjustified wars, the suppression of civil liberties, an economic crisis, and massive environmental destruction. I don't blame all of this on America, of course - we share the blame ourselves - but, still.

Apologies for moments of unheavenly seriousness.

But I do have one fluffy question: Why don't Canadians play cricket?

--------------------

Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
But I do have one fluffy question: Why don't Canadians play cricket?

Duuuuude.

Our national sport is officially lacrosse, and our actual national sport is hockey. Cricket?! Booooring.

Mind you where Canadians of Indian, Pakistani or Caribbean origin are gathered together, they DO play cricket. You just won't see it on the telly.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
...But I do have one fluffy question: Why don't Canadians play cricket?

Because a single match lasts longer than our summer.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can understand owning a handgun. I can understand keeping one in your night table. I can even understand the desire to keep it loaded. What I cannot understand is the need to clean it in bed instead of taking to the garage and cleaning it there, where the oil and rags and such belong. I'm also dumbfounded as to why he didn't clear the action as a matter of course.

Because the oil and rags are a fire hazard. So if you clean your gun in bed, you can smoke at the same time. Duh.
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you imagine any of our Southern friends keeping a straight face whilst singing "O,Canada" if they were to join British North America [Big Grin]

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack of Sarmatia:
...like a transatlantic Denmark, but with bigger scenery.

Actually, that's called "Greenland".

And is the reason that Denmark is the third largest nation state in North America by land area, ahead of Mexico [Snigger]

Yep, not only does Her Maj. Brenda reign over more of North America than than the President of the US does, her Maj. Margrethe has more of it than the President of Mexico does.

So after all those revolutions and wars of independence and constitutions and all, a higher proportion of North America is ruled by monarchies than back here in old Europe....

[ 13. September 2010, 18:17: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

quote:
Yep, not only does Her Maj. Brenda reign over more of North America than than the President of the US does, her Maj. Margrethe has more of it than the President of Mexico does.
Then bugger Canada and we'll see if the Danes will have us.
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
quote:
Then bugger Canada and we'll see if the Danes will have us.
Since when has Canada deserved to be buggered! It might be sometihng you do in the lost colonies, but not in the realm of HM QEII.

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a matter of interest, does Canada have those ridiculous and bewildering four way stop signs at cross-roads? Or has it entered the nineteenth century and introduced roundabouts? This could decide who goes where - though personally I have always resented the fact there is a big block of Not Pink on world maps, south of the 49th [Frown]

I'm happy to be arbitrator, though. Totally unbiased, of course.

Um. Except that if Canada annexes those states to the north of Mexico (leaving that Russian colony up north, from where Ms Palin surveys the Murdoch Press, shoots grizzlies with her bare hands , no pun intended, and generally saves the, erm, civilized world) the new Canada may gain even more medals than Australia at the increasingly forgettable Commonwealth Games. And while that would put Australia, those nasty republicans, in its place, it may further damage NZ's shaky standings. Gotta think about these peripheral implications.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016