homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Physical contact in church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Physical contact in church
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am starting this in Hell as I know that a lot of people have very strong opinions on it.

I am going to have to gently raise it with someone in the near future but am as part of my tackling that appreciate others opinions.

Firstly I acknowledge that touch is a very powerful means of communication. The whole of what follows is based on that. It is a blunt instrument however which relies on an understanding between the participants.

My experience within the church setting both in Worship and pastorally it has been used particularly is abusive situation. These experiences mean that I do NOT wish to be hugged, or comforted through physical touch outside very close relations. I know I physically signal this.

However I am aware of many of the pastoral care courses which stress how much more a hug can say than words. I know many people very much appreciate touch.

I am quite happy for others to make physical contact if that is right for them just wish to have the ability to opt out myself.

The question is how do we strike the right balance between respecting those who do not wish to touch and those that do.

Jengie

[ 10. March 2003, 00:30: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure that plenty of people will have lots to say on this, but I'd like to pick up on one point.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
However I am aware of many of the pastoral care courses which stress how much more a hug can say than words. I know many people very much appreciate touch.

I was taught the complete opposite as touching anybody in a pastoral context could be misinterpreted and that we could find ourselves in trouble. This is particularly true if dealing with somebody who is particularly distraught. Even worse if someone is mentally ill or drunk, or the worst scenario of all, mentally ill and drunk. Generally speaking (from a male perspective) a woman would be likely to interpret it as an unwelcome sexual advance and a man to take it as an act of aggression.

As for hugging in worship, well I don't like it except in exceptional circumstances.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must... resist.... using a sarcastic... response.

::uuuuurrghh::

Jengie, do you have to put such a personal problem you sound as if you're seriously dealing with ... in hell???

If so. Well! I may have some fun with you problem!

....Lev

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Opps... I totally bollocks-ed up that last line. It should have read:

"If so, well, I may have to have some fun with your problem."

Now.. I have a problem... it's called typing.

I suck at it.

....Lef
(I deliberatly spelt my name wrong! Do you see what I did there? Ooo never mind)

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie - you need to go for the Goth look - leather, spikes, piercings. Then no-one will come near you. ( apologies in advance to those Goths on board ).

Slightly more seriously, touch is a very important tool in pastoral work. As such, it should be used with care and consideration, especially consideration for the person being touched. In a pastoral situation, I would always ask permission before touching, because it can be a very big issue. In church, I would love to hug lots of people, but tend only to hug those who have indicated that they are happy with it.

I try to take the attitude that this person may have suffered abuse at some point, and that may not be resolved. The touch of another person may be something that will scare them away, rather than enable them to open up and address the issues. I tend to assume that they may have been abused within a pastoral church situation. It makes me very aware of what their feelings might be. This is not to suggest that they have been abused ( or that you Jengie has been ), but it helps me to read the signs better.

Of course people who haven't had a bath for 6 months are also unlikely to get any physical contact. You could try that approach, if the Goth thing doesn't work.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The question is how do we strike the right balance between respecting those who do not wish to touch and those that do.

Jengie

You do just that - respect their wishes either way?

On a general note, if I don't know someone well enough to know whether touch is ok, and I want to hug them, or touch their shoulder etc, I usually ask. Along the lines of 'Is it ok if...'. That way it's more ok for them to say no.

And usually people make it kinda obvious - especially if they don't want to be touched - through their body language.

So (for me personally) people with arms crossed tightly, or wrapped around them; leaning away from me; moving slightly away as I reach forward; slight wary look; wide-eyed panic as all around start hugging - all this kinda thing would stop me from touching.

I guess others wil have a lot more to say,

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

splosh
Shipmate
# 2743

- Posted      Profile for splosh   Email splosh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the type of church you are in makes a big difference to what physical contact happens.

For example at v. high C of E churched it is very unusual for you to shake hands with anyone, apart from the person you came with, while going to fairly low C of E churches/'free evangelical' hugging everyone during the peace is a normal act. I think you learn those who appreciate a hug and those who qould prefer to have their handshaken.

I agree with Spike on hugging during pastorial care. You have to ask someone if they want a hug, otherwise it is possible to have it taken the wrong way, and 'sexual harshment' conduct is brought up.

On a personal note, a hug is a special thing which sys you care about the person, and therefore hugging everyone in church takes anyway the specialness of the hug.

--------------------
Just remember you are one of God's special people

Posts: 1371 | From: Slightly less north than before | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
gbuchanan
Shipmate
# 415

- Posted      Profile for gbuchanan   Email gbuchanan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh-oh - this thread is turning out a bit Purgatory-ish!
Posts: 683 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phrases like

‘Abuse of authority’

‘Inappropriate behaviour’

and

‘Knee to the groin’

come to mind.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never come across the idea that hugs should be used during counselling, and I was on counselling courses run by a very charasmatic church who were very into hugs.

Think about how 'physical' you would be with a stranger, and you simply don't go beyond that line in counselling.

One of the simplest ways of avoiding hugs etc in church is to walk up to someone with your hand extended. The vast majority of people will simply shake your hand.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a saying I've heard in counselling circles that we all need six hugs a day. However, it was made very clear to me that these were metaphorical hugs - encouragment, praise etc - and that physical contact was most unwise. Sadly, I have heard the syaing repeated without the warning.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
splosh
Shipmate
# 2743

- Posted      Profile for splosh   Email splosh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The vast majority of people will simply shake your hand.

and then kiss you on the cheek.

--------------------
Just remember you are one of God's special people

Posts: 1371 | From: Slightly less north than before | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our 'prayer ministry team' are taught to never touch anyone when praying for them unless they have first asked permission - e.g. "Would it be all right if I put my hand on your shoulder?" and even then they have practised with each other in reading the signals of when someone is compliant but really doesn't want touched - like that slight drawing back. They know that "laying on of hands" is traditional and scriptural, but that respect for the person being prayed for is paramount. They would never hug anyone unless smeone specificaly asked - and even then they would be checking within themselves if they personally felt comfortable about it. (And a hug from someone can get in the way of a hug from God). We have a great mix of nationalities and cultures so it's interesting juggling what's expected and what's appropriate.

At the 'peace' again, it's usually shaking hands (very British), with various others hugging/kissing - once, twice, three times! - these continentals

But we had an abuser in our midst, who was hugging, kissing, touching people under the pretence of 'sharing the peace' and at other times. We took a while to really appreciate what was going on, and that he was regularly assaulting many people, and by that time we had gone through all the usual things - keep your elbow firmly down at your side and stiffly hold out your hand to shake so he can't get near you - say, "I don't want a hug/kiss!" - say "Don't touch me!" etc.

Eventually we had to organise a proper official confrontation. He has left the church. It was all very horible. It feels much safer now.

No-one has the right to touch us unless we give them permission - and vice-versa.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something that was suggested to me as a housegroup leader was to lay a hand gently on the person's wrist, and be prepared to withdraw it if it wasn't welcomed. However, one would then have broken the ice if the person wanted to hold on to your hand. But even this I'd only do to someone I knew well, or in a group rather than one-to-one.

I remember someone telling me about an occasion when they visited a new church, and sat quietly in their pew to pray for a while at the end of the service. A lady came up to her and asked her if she was OK - fair enough - my friend nodded and bowed her head again, whereupon the lady sat down next to her, put her arm around her shoulders and said 'There, there, it's OK'. Talk about space invaders!

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linux Rose
Shipmate
# 2257

- Posted      Profile for Linux Rose   Author's homepage   Email Linux Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did once suggest that at Quaker gatherings (where hugging is commonplace) name badges should include a teddy bear symbol to indicate that the Friend was receptive to hugs, and the same symbol with a red cross through it to show that hugs weren't welcome.

The suggestion was not adopted.

--------------------
Rosie - Worrier Princess

"Swans sing before they die, 'twere no bad thing
Should certain persons die before they sing"
[S T Coleridge]

Posts: 160 | From: Reading, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate the idea of a bear being crossed out!

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Talk about space invaders!

Lovely phrase, Tina.

Another hard part of the equation though it those that really want hugs or physical contact, especially those who never get it anywhere else, but who are so bad at giving and receiving it that they rarely initiate it and often seem to be uncomfortable when it is initated by someone else, even when they really welcome it - if you seem not to be reciprocating in a hug, it may just be because you are bad at hugging.

It is usually those who are very touchy-feely and can easily initate touch themselves, who get enough of it off their own bat.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read somewhere that the upper shoulder was the only part of the body that could be touched in an "untreatening" way. If I'm not sure I either ask or just give them a friendly pat there and then step back a bit ...

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linux Rose
Shipmate
# 2257

- Posted      Profile for Linux Rose   Author's homepage   Email Linux Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I hate the idea of a bear being crossed out!

bb

Think of it as covering it with a kiss bb

--------------------
Rosie - Worrier Princess

"Swans sing before they die, 'twere no bad thing
Should certain persons die before they sing"
[S T Coleridge]

Posts: 160 | From: Reading, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boot
Shipmate
# 2611

- Posted      Profile for Boot   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think it's dreadful that people need to be told to respect your personal space. I'd only hug people I know- it seems to debase the act otherwise (or perhaps that's just me being hypersensitive).

You hug if you want to and don't if you don't want to, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Other similar complaints- churches with prayer ministry people that actually try to push you over when praying with you. This happened to me once at the height of the Toronto blessing thing, and being a very new christian at the time I was pretty alarmed by it.

And my other pet hate- air kissing. I work in an industry where there's an awful lot of it, and it's one of the most false and empty gestures I know. So I get really annoyed when someone tries it at church

I'll stop ranting now.

b

Posts: 116 | From: Essex, England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So when is it appropriate to step in on behalf of others? I attended a service once where the fellow in the pew ahead of me was virtually mauling his two adolescent (presumed) daughters, no mother-figure present. Stroking their hair, smelling it, arms everywhere. Which actually disturbed me to the extent (no need to go into reasons why here, suffice it to say I've had plenty of first-hand reasons to suspect that inappropriate behavior from grown men to adolescent females they may or may not be related to is not at all uncommon) that I left the church, shaking and crying, before the peace to avoid having to shake his hand. Could I have stepped in and asked him to at least pretend to be there for the service?

I also remember a young couple many years earlier who were overly affectionate towards one another...

-------

And can I just say, I would like to, in every situation, have the freedom to opt out of hugging without being made to feel like I don't want to hug because I'm not as spiritually advanced as those who do. I havehappily accepted hugs from my former rector, a very loving individual, but shunned them from an acquaintance's teenage (overweight, sweaty) son...and was made to feel like there was somthing wrong with me for doing so!

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the 70s, when I first noticed this huggy thing coming into churches, what put me off was the fact that the men thought it was open season - they had a right to hug, and/or kiss any female they chose. I noticed however that the men did not kiss other men. If it is to be a 'Christian' thing, it should not matter the sex of the person they touch. So I concluded it was a sexual thing and stayed well clear.

Apart from a rise in the number of women kissing / hugging each other, I have not noticed much change. The men still go for the ladies but not for each other - rather suspicious don't you think?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that varies by individual, though overall I think you're right. My former huggy rector hugged my husband just as warmly...which maybe what inspired my trust in him about this matter, when I'm normally not physically affectionate.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Something that was suggested to me as a housegroup leader was to lay a hand gently on the person's wrist, and be prepared to withdraw it if it wasn't welcomed.

I'd have thought the wrist a very aggressive touch from a stranger. Disabling, potentially, if someone grabs it. Upper arms, shoulders, backs, all less invasive.

In those cultures where men do touch each other in public (as far as I can tell that means adverts in US magazines and pubs in South London) it is the shoulders, or sometimes the hands, that are touched. And quickly withdrawn as well, not "lay on".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people are naturally more "huggy" than others. I usually greet people as they are leaving the church after worship. As a rule, I will shake with both hands (my left hand over their right hand) or will touch their forearm/elbow (warmer than a mere handshake, less "touchy feely" than a hug).

Those who are not comfortable with hugging will leave it at that. Those who ARE "huggers" will usually initiate a hug themselves. I leave that choice up to them. In my experience, almost all the "grandmotherly" types are major league huggers.

[Anyone know how to get makeup smudges off a white stole?]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am starting this in Hell as I know that a lot of people have very strong opinions on it.

There's nothing wrong with expressing strong opinions in Purgatory, and this is a very reasonable, non-Hellish discussion, so I'm moving it up to Purgatory.

RuthW
hellhost

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Charientist
Shipmate
# 2269

- Posted      Profile for The Charientist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drat! I wanted to post a hellacious rant about the Mister Huggy Bear fella at the mass I went to a few weeks back, by myself, at a church where I knew no one, who was either 1. so clueless that he actually didn't see the hand I had stretched out about a mile in front of me for a perfectly civil and liturgically acceptable handshake, or 2. hellbent on smothering Me His Brother in a big ol' double armful of Christian Luv, whether I wanted it or not.

I've discussed this issue several times with a fellow extremly-high-introvert friend who used to go to the same Jesus Iz Way Kool college church I did. We said things like, "I'm dreading the sign of peace today."

Luckily I've now found a service that suits my style -- 7 a.m. Sunday (not many twentysomethings up then!), where there's about fifty retired farmers and myself in a space built for several hundred. Not only are there no hugs to dread, everyone's usually so spread out that there's not even anyone close enough to insist on a handshake! It's great, we all just aim good-natured nods at each other from a distance.

Really, I'm not a total misanthrope.

--------------------
Is the Empire really a threat? Or is its much-feared fleet just little models?

My new home.

Posts: 131 | From: I've moved! So long, suckers!! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
gbuchanan
Shipmate
# 415

- Posted      Profile for gbuchanan   Email gbuchanan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Chorister and Qestia - speaking (or should I say typing) as a man, one of the problems for men is that men aren't that physical, and it's nowhere near as socially acceptable for men to be physical towards men.

Thus, men who may hug women more than men (and that includes me and probably applies to the majority of men) do so because physical contact with other men can often provoke negative reactions.

However, I think the closeness of relationship is important - I don't embrace people who I don't know well, and I don't embrace those who don't like it. Following that rule means that from an external observer's point of view, I could be seen as predatory as I know more women well than men, and the difference when considering those who are more physical, that difference is even bigger.

Having said all the above, I am probably on the lower physical contact spectrum by some way.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I love mankind! It's people I can't stand!" --Linus Van Pelt

Reader Alexis
mezzo-huggy Orthodox guy

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What bothers me is people who are not touchy-feely in 'real life' who hug and kiss others in church (certainly in Charismatic circles). Isn't this an example of people behaving one way in church and another outside? Some people may take advantage of the situation for sexual reasons but many people in church get into heavy physical contact simply because they feel that this is what they are supposed to do, even if they find it uncomfortable. Similarly, some people may be prevented from expressing discomfot with touch because they feel being labelled as having some emotional problem that makes them cold and distant.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a minefield .... and it's a minefield because of the west's distorted view of "physicality as sexuality as threat."

What do us gold ole' English do when we ever ever ever so lightly graze someone in the street? "Oh, I'm sorry!" We are scared stiff of touch and so the fear generates a salaciousness of touch, the hint that there might be more to it than comfort .... and there sometimes is. Many often say that evil creates fear ... forgetting that often it works the other way round as well ... fear generates evil.

The answer then is not to turn up the emotional frigidity (the fear response).... nor to go round hugging everyone and everything in sight. The answer is to develop a life spirituality where APPROPRIATE touching is NORMAL ... yes normal, folks. Not something to get worked up about or to give a wrong interpretation to. My, are we really screwed up about physicality in the west or what?!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply. I much appreciate it, all of it.

Quoting from Spike

quote:
I was taught the complete opposite as touching anybody in a pastoral context could be misinterpreted and that we could find ourselves in trouble

Thanks. My basis was on pretty limited experience though I have been on basic pastoral care courses. I am sure that those who echo Spike sentiments are correct and this is modern practise.

Steve said:

quote:
Jengie - you need to go for the Goth look - leather, spikes piercings. Then no-one will come near you. (apologies in advance to those Goths on baord).

Well I do to a certain extent follow the intent here. I'm not a Goth but I can cultivate the formidable women at times and that can be quite effective at least as far men are concerned.

Questia - I can at least understand in part I have a fairly similar response at healing services. Though I would say your concerns were much more worrying than mine.

Father Gregory

Touch need not be sexual to be abusive. It can be used to place yourself in a position of power over someone.

In at least one situation I have been in I know for certain that the touch was not sexual on either part. The touch itself was not abusive but used to further a very toxic emotional game.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fatpanda
Shipmate
# 2709

- Posted      Profile for fatpanda   Email fatpanda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What annoys me is that people will often think twice about hugging/kissing another adult but feel that they have a right to hug/kiss/touch/ruffle hair of my children. I have a very independent 2 year old daughter who HATES this, and we have had to confront a couple of the older ladies in the church who do this every week, ending in screeching fits when they won't let her go. She is an affectionate shild - with people she knows well. Just because she goes to church does not give them permission to invade her personal space, which is just as important to her as to an adult, if not more so.
Rant over.

--------------------
love S x

do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Posts: 242 | From: Weegieland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
fatpanda
Shipmate
# 2709

- Posted      Profile for fatpanda   Email fatpanda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry!!! Just realised I was in purgatory, not hell, therfore shouldn't be ranting!
Sorry

--------------------
love S x

do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Posts: 242 | From: Weegieland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Jengie

The example you gave although not sexually abusive was emotionally abusive. My point was somewhat different. We have lost the natural ordinariness of non-threatening affirmative human touch and that is because the west has a grossly distorted perception of the physical. I just don't think that it helps to repress legitimate physicality. Such repression makes the whole situation worse. I know you are not advocating that. I am just raising the issue.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Sarajane
Shipmate
# 1642

- Posted      Profile for Sarajane   Email Sarajane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

takes me back to 6th form where a gang of us used to greet each other with a pinch and pat of the cheek! always felt good.

Suggested rules of thumb!
IMHO index of intimacy goes- handshake without eye contact-awkward
Hug without eye contact- awkward
Handshake with eye contact and smile- good
Hug with eye contact and smile -good.
Hug you want to stop and rest in- intimate, friendly and good, with someone you trust.
Hugging someone you know you ought to find time to listen to and feel vaguely guilty about- bad idea.
Hugs from people who've never bothered to talk to you- bad idea, decline gracefully

Rules of thumb-suggested. Make eye contact and smile first. Base decision on whether to shake hands or hug on length of eye contact and what you feel/ intuit other person feels.

Golden rule- more physical than emotional/mental contact is selfish and poss abusive.

Hugging people you love is natural. Hugging people you don't really love feels unnatural. However sometimes people you find hard to love need a hug. Be open to the possibility, but be aware that a hug signals that you're also available to listen.

Just some late night thoughts!

--------------------
Still wondering.....

Posts: 97 | From: half way up the mountain | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Women hug women & men hug women? Pretty universal behaviour I think. Maybe women are just nicer than men.

Look at a train or bus that is filling up so people can no longer sit on their own. Women who find they have to sit next to a stranger tend to choose to sit next to a woman. Men tend to choose to sit next to a woman as well. Both sexes are much less likely to sit next to a strange man.

This is almost always irritating if you are a bloke and the last seat taken is the one next to you, which normally happens to me, because you feel that everyone is scared of you, which is a bad feeling.

Though it can be useful. On one long crowded train journey from London to somewhere in the west country in very hot weather no-one sat next to me the whole way even though it was standing-room only till Oxford and every other seat was taken. I was grateful for it then. But usually it just pisses me off.

Applies to church as well. I think I quite like hugs, but I know that many people don't so I wouldn't go up and force a hug on someone, so, in practice, no-one other than my own daughter is likely to want to hug me.

That said, there are perhaps 2 or 3 people in our congregation that I do feel uneasy around, and would not want to hug. And yes, out of the maybe 100 women and 20 or 30 men in the place - they are all men. There isn't one of the women I wouldn't want to hug if they wanted to hug me first, IYSWIM.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

- Posted      Profile for MadKaren   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve - no offence taken.

yes one of the collars with the 2 inch long spikes will definitely discourage hugs. Problem is you might find people are so scared of you they may not approach you at all.......

Madkaren

--------------------
--
Why do people who claim to love God embarrass him in public?

Posts: 866 | From: Jumping along the line between genius and insanity.... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, women are just nicer than men? Or should that be less threatening? You have obviously never seen my award-winning impression of Godzilla!

People are talking mostly about hugs, but it is quite possible to be abusive whilst merely shaking someone's hand. This man who goes to our church used to come up to me during the Peace with a big evangelical smile pasted to his face, seize my hand in a death-grip and grind my rings against my bones. It hurt like hell. After a few months of this, I tried to ensure that I was always looking the other way when he approached my pew.

I was never quite sure whether his attempts to crush my hand were inspired by a spirit of Christian love, or sadism. But now I'm in the choir, so I am well protected from him.

Incidentally, the 'women hug other women' applies to our choir, but we don't hug the men.

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Anyone ever considered prayer and touch. How often does the prayed for ever initiate the touching.

My experience that it is always the prayer who will reach out and seek contact.

That means there is a power relationship in who touches and who is touched.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone ever considered prayer and touch. How often does the prayed for ever initiate the touching.

My experience that it is always the prayer who will reach out and seek contact.

Jengie

Absolutely - that's one of the things we teach our prayer ministry people - and we deliberately use praying for each other in the team as part of the training. So they get to feel both vulnerable and affirmed.

And we practise checking out physical boundaries by walking towards each other and making eye contact, seeing how close we feel comfortable sitting with each other (our prayer is usually done sitting next to the prayed-for person, in a fairly private part of the church which is in view but out of earshot of the rest of the congregation), and observing how many different reactions we have.

However, we do have people who come for prayer and try to snuggle up to us too close for our comfort, and also some who fling their arms around us or kiss us.....there can be a 'power' thing from them as well.

When someone is offending against our boundaries, as well as giving them visual signals a verbal confrontation is in order - 'Don't hug me (or whatever)! I don't like it.' "Don't squeeze my hand; it hurts!' Then they don't have any excuse; and use the 'broken record' technique, just repeating the same words till they get the message, and getting louder so other people hear if they still ignore it. Of course, assertive peole are not always welcome in church - they think we should all be doormats.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

DaisyMay

I have read both your responses and been impressed. It sounds like you are extraordinary thorough. I particularly like it that you do not just teach it but practise it.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
... it is quite possible to be abusive whilst merely shaking someone's hand. This man who goes to our church used to come up to me during the Peace with a big evangelical smile pasted to his face, seize my hand in a death-grip and grind my rings against my bones. It hurt like hell.

I have had that done to me. I knew enough about the men who did it to be sure that there was no aggressive intent.

I think the problem was that they had never been taught how to shake hands.

Moo

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gbuchanan
Shipmate
# 415

Then there's the limp lettuce handshake, which is just as appalling. Are folks so dim that they need instruction on handshakes?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Jengie - you need to go for the Goth look - leather, spikes, piercings. Then no-one will come near you.

Well, now, I wouldn't say that . . . Though I do believe in being careful re spikes.

I love hugging but I try to be very respectful of others' wishes.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gbuchanan:
Then there's the limp lettuce handshake, which is just as appalling. Are folks so dim that they need instruction on handshakes?

No of course not. We are all born knowing how to do that.

Reader Alexis
sarcastic Orthodox guy

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Jengie

quote:

So, when Jesus did it he was abusing people with his power, yes?

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

Saying that a power relationship exists (as it does in this case, even/especially with Jesus) is NOT the same this as saying that the person in power is abusing that power. Certainly Jesus never abused his power, no one has come close to suggesting that. I think you have leapt to an incorrect conclusion, Father.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I have a hard time believing that when Irene Matar, our Palestinian-born Arab cradle-Orthodox old lady, comes up to the newcomer during the passing of the peace and kisses them on both cheeks, that the issue is power. She's a very effusive lady and loves people. It seems to me that people are projecting their hang-ups (or to be more precise the flip-side of their hang-ups) onto others. Sometimes a hug is just a hug.

Reader Alexis
friendly Orthodox guy

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Quite so Alexis .... and that is what I am trying to rescue here. Welcome to the new Salem. Questia's reflection is correct but the word "power" shifts its meaning depending on the context of use and the personal experience of the user. I smell a spirit abroad here that is rigidly opposed to all forms of "touch" that haven't been authenticated in triplicate with legal disclaimers beforehand. It's a bit like the old extreme feminist war cry that all men are rapists. Let's try and keep a sense of proportion for goodness sake!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016