homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Use that phrase (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Use that phrase
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking for a word, I came across a random phrase generator. This gave me an idea for a game:

give a random phrase e.g. "diet translator"

the person then writes a sentence or more that uses it in a sensible way.
So you might get the following job advert: "A Hindi speaking nutritionist is required to act as a diet translator for our Indian clients".

You then post the next phrase to be worked into a sentence. Use some discrimination in choosing your phrase please.

So to start with:
"bad cosmology"

Jengie

[ 12. February 2012, 01:10: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The bad cosmology of one particular ancient philosopher, which postulated that the sky as we see it formed the interior of a giant pyramid, with Earth as the pyramid's internal base(and the pyramid itself dangling on the horn of a cyclops), led to his complete exclusion from the Oxford Encyclopedia Of Cosmology. Though he does maintain some small following among deviant Rosicrucians.

chauvinistic chesterfields

[ 17. August 2011, 16:32: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Browse among the chauvinistic Chesterfields, chirpy Chippendales and chic Chaise-lounges in our alluring Boudoir Collection".

Ahem. Back to the task, shippies.

Pollup Opportunities.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A significant decrease in the price of red meat would provide numerous pollup opportunities for enterprising cells in carniveroius colons everywhere."

psychedelic interrogations

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The students in that house were particularly keen on giving parties, and the toilets had been subject to many, many psychedelic interrogations.

fringe mint

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:

fringe mint

That one somehow sounds to me like it could be well placed in the Euphemisms thread in heaven... or is that just my mind?!

The girl decided on a punk image and so dyed her fringe mint green! [Big Grin]

claustrophic swans

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The claustrophobic swans hated being penned in.

Sunny shoes

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The astronomically challenged art student was kicked out of the academy for foregoing the usual halos and instead portraying his saints as wearing sunny shoes.

unethical foxtrots

fair-trade foxtrots

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

(go with fair-trade)

--------------------

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair-trade foxtrots off with organic, locally sourced free-range chicken.

Trappist war-monger

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St.George's Abbey in the Himalayas became such a sanctuary for political refugees that the adjacent authorities would refer to the abbott as 'that Trappist war-monger'.

exploding tranquility

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exploding distant galaxies in the night sky makes for tranquility in viewing here on Earth.

Cruciform churches

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin, I think the idea is to use the phrase as given - ie the two words remain adjacent, rather than just occuring in the same sentence.

'Cruciform churches are fairly common'.

Bespangled hermits

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. sorry I made it so easy then!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh hey, do those bespangled hermits in caves
Get time off purgat'ry, for their ascetic ways?

delightfully craven

[ 18. August 2011, 22:47: Message edited by: joan knox ]

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found Captain Hook delightfully craven.

Chortling Jacobites

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Except for a few chortling Jacobites, a great dismay ran through the crowd at the parade when the drunk playing King Billy fell off his horse.

scandalous juxtapositions

[ 19. August 2011, 00:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'La, Sir' cried Lady Twitter 'why nothing else is spoken of in all Bath but Sir Jasper and Miss Flight and their scandalous juxtapositions'.

shiny questions

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shiny questions give ample opportunity for reflective answers.

Ubiquitous hermit

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Will no-one rid me of this ubiquitous hermit?" complained King Josiah about Jeremiah.

offal tube

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading 'hell' can sometimes be compared to swimming in the regurgitated outpourings of an offal tube!

nostalgic teapots

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

Ah, nostalgic teapots - they ain't wot they used to be.

dessicated virgins

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Archaeologists classified the mummified remains found in the temple of Vesta as dessicated virgins.

escalating cabbage

Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

- Posted      Profile for Bos Loquax   Email Bos Loquax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The escalating cabbage smell from the rectory was just one of many signs that ordaining rabbits was a very bad idea.

resurgent disappointment

Posts: 58 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Resurgent disappointment was the dominant mood at the warren when the inhabitants heard that the church council had reversed its previous ruling on lupine ordinations.

Belgian mythology

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While analysing the Lucan narrative against other primitive sources regarding miraculous births, the seminarian concluded that Belgian mythology pointed towards the Blessed Mother showing hospitality to the visiting shepherds by offering a selection of fine beers.

flaming maniple

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

The evangelicals started fighting back in Ecclesiantics - there was a flaming maniple and a burning biretta and someone even got out a guitar!

community hats

[ 20. August 2011, 03:04: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The government's anti-lice campaign has been severely hobbled by the resurgent popularity of community hats.

Malthusian rainbows

[ 20. August 2011, 16:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Malthusian rainbows stretched across the sky.

Hopeful songs

--------------------

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

'Somewhere over the rainbow' and 'Tomorrow' are such hopeful songs, are they not?

glowing perambulator

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We moved the glowing perambulator away from the fire was done.

Scarlet Kitty

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

- Posted      Profile for Bos Loquax   Email Bos Loquax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a scarlet kitty, whose frequent indiscretion was rolling around in her scarlet litter.

diffident festival

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We planned and advertised it for weeks, but when the day came, our diffident festival was nowhere to be found. Turns out it was hiding on the next street over.

frequent gutter

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Notes for life of dissipation: hang out in low bars; haunt brothels; frequent gutter.

myopic penguin

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The myopic penguin swam to the ophthalmologist.

heartbroken waif

--------------------

earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The heartbroken waif, Oliver, had his request for more food turned down.

discombobulated tiger

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The removal of meat from his enclosure and its replacement with vegetables made for a very discombobulated tiger.

deterrent bench

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Amish teen was excited to begin bed courtship with his date, but he had not expected her father to include a deterrent bench in the middle of the bed.

insulting elm

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

The pinoak threw acorns at the insulting elm.

soft corkscrew

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Soft corkscrew works on metal corks with screw-shaped holes.

flash mobile

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It was the size of a brick and had a battery life in minutes, but in the 80s, that was a flash mobile.

indeterminate meringue

earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a beef wellington in which the pastry truly resembled a boot, the disappointing meal finished with an indeterminate meringue, sloppy and filled with runny cream.

phosphorescent waitress

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The Lord God was considerate enough to provide Jonah with the services of a kitchen staff and a phosphorescent waitress during his stay in the darkness of the whale.

(I was listening to this while concocting a response.)

bargain-basement agape

("Agape" there being the Greek word for a particular typr of love)

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have experienced bargain-basement eros, but never bargain-basement agape.

friendly misanthropes

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are relatively friendly misanthropes; just because we don't like people in general, doesn't mean we have to dislike you in particular.

hippopotamus degradation

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Many critics have levelled the charge of hippopotamus degradation against T.S. Eliot.

sclerotic cornucopia

[ 22. August 2011, 14:48: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

How did we discover how little the new maid could see humor? She dropped by the slaughterhouse, cooked her purchases to the hard ball stage, and after dinner dazzled us with a immaculately iridescent vitreous spectacle: a sclerotic cornucopia.

It was mouth-watering, but my sister never requested "eye candy" again.

apricot masquerade

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

I wore the apricot maskerade costome since the banana costume was taken.

Waltzing Monarchists

--------------------

AJG

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

The waltzing monarchists had nothing better to do.

Fidgety fanmail

--------------------

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

Fidgety fanmail never could just keep still.

looky noncontrariety

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016