homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Is the Church of England in terminal decline? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Is the Church of England in terminal decline?
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thread on the loss of the religious life led to me to think about this. My own belief is that the Church of England reached a high point — arguably, the high point — of its existence in the first half of the twentieth century, in a period marked by such events as the publication of the English Hymnal, the great Anglo-Catholic conferences, the conversion of many notable literary figures (most prominently T.S. Eliot, but also W.H. Auden and Rose Macaulay), a renaissance in Church music thanks to the contributions of Howells, Britten, Finzi and Vaughan Williams, etc. All of this built on a very sound foundation left over from the Oxford Movement and the Cambridge Camden Society, which included the building of many new churches (some of them wonders of architecture, many others solid and serviceable to the needs of the country), and the establishment of a thriving religious life.

The War changed a great deal, but the decline of the Church seems to have accelerated in the generation that came of age after the War.
Now we are left with — what exactly? A dream about a shadow? Certainly, the engaged, confident, evangelistic Church seen in this video must now seem more foreign to the average Briton — whether he be a churchman or not — than the Lele Pangolin Cult.

Do other see this decline and, if so, is there any hope that it might be reversible?

[ 15. June 2016, 18:54: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Unreformed
Shipmate
# 17203

- Posted      Profile for Unreformed         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Britain, from what I hear, is becoming increasingly secular, and that's part of the problem here. This won't last in the long run, of course, there's always a religious revival: see the 18th Century and John Wesley. But I'm afraid it won't be Anglican this time, and even more afraid it won't even be Christian.

ETA: I think a lot of it may also have to do with the general loss of faith people in all European countries experienced after World War I. I don't think western European Christianity was ever quite the same after that disaster.

[ 13. July 2012, 02:34: Message edited by: Unreformed ]

--------------------
In the Latin south the enemies of Christianity often make their position clear by burning a church. In the Anglo-Saxon countries, we don't burn churches; we empty them. --Arnold Lunn, The Third Day

Posts: 246 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What happened to the reported seventh percent growth in worship attendance at the CoE cathedrals in 2011?

What about the growth of the Anglican Communion in other parts of the world?

Can't wait until the Bishop of Canterbury is an African. Probably will happen about the time the Pope will be African.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Unreformed
Shipmate
# 17203

- Posted      Profile for Unreformed         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What about the growth of the Anglican Communion in other parts of the world?
Anglican doesn't necessarily mean CofE. I'm sure Anglicanism outside of the west (and perhaps Australia) will do just fine, though.

--------------------
In the Latin south the enemies of Christianity often make their position clear by burning a church. In the Anglo-Saxon countries, we don't burn churches; we empty them. --Arnold Lunn, The Third Day

Posts: 246 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
The thread on the loss of the religious life led to me to think about this. My own belief is that the Church of England reached a high point — arguably, the high point — of its existence in the first half of the twentieth century, in a period marked by such events as the publication of the English Hymnal, the great Anglo-Catholic conferences, the conversion of many notable literary figures (most prominently T.S. Eliot, but also W.H. Auden and Rose Macaulay), a renaissance in Church music thanks to the contributions of Howells, Britten, Finzi and Vaughan Williams, etc. All of this built on a very sound foundation left over from the Oxford Movement and the Cambridge Camden Society, which included the building of many new churches (some of them wonders of architecture, many others solid and serviceable to the needs of the country), and the establishment of a thriving religious life.

The War changed a great deal, but the decline of the Church seems to have accelerated in the generation that came of age after the War.
Now we are left with — what exactly? A dream about a shadow? Certainly, the engaged, confident, evangelistic Church seen in this video must now seem more foreign to the average Briton — whether he be a churchman or not — than the Lele Pangolin Cult.

Do other see this decline and, if so, is there any hope that it might be reversible?

This is a dream of a form of Christianity which no longer has the power to convert anybody.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Th Certainly, the engaged, confident, evangelistic Church seen in this video must now seem more foreign to the average Briton

IME the church (esp as seen in this video) has always been foreign to the average Briton. How does that kind of faith expression relate to everyday life - esp in the age of Pathe news?

I feel that we are all trying to look back to a golden age that existed only in the minds of the "church" not the people it effected (and effects) to meet.

The "church" isn't dead - just significant parts of it need a bit of pruning as they fail to connect with people's everyday life and to lift them to a place where they can experience the transcedance of God.

[ 13. July 2012, 07:14: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think England, as well as much of Western Europe and the Anglophone world, is much less Christian than it was in the first half of the 20th Century.

There is, in the Church of England and elsewhere, much what I would term "churchianity", which, as others have said, doesn't really challenge nor change people. It is theme park stuff performed as palliative care for the terminally lost.

From my recent experience of the Anglican Church in Australia I'd say it's pretty much the same here.

Cosmetic changes won't change things.

The real questions are how and where do we look for genuine sources of Christian renewal?

Somehow, somewhere, we need to engender real holiness. Quite an awesome thing really. Are there people around who can facilitate this rather than talk about it? The last thing we need is more talkfests starring the same people responsible for the current crisis. If there are J H Newmans; J Wesleys etc. "out there" they may have to, as their predecessors did, start their own movements. The "top to bottom" approach doesn't seem to work.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the problem with the C of E is that it doesn't speak with one voice. Everybody seems to believe different things, even in essential doctrines like the Incarnation and the Resurrection.

quote:
1 Corinthians 14:8 -
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"

The battle of course is (or should be) against secularism, and the armies haven't prepared themselves - they are (ISTM) disarrayed.

I once heard a priest from the Anglican cathedral give a sermon on the Resurrection. One of the first things he said was that "officially" there are four different ways of understanding (or believing in) the Resurrection - he didn't actually describe each way, but such confusion isn't likely to win many new converts IMO, when they seem to have a choice to believe whatever they like.

Things were better when the BCP 1662 had more authority, but now it seems you can take it or leave it. It isn't just declining numbers, I think it is in danger of fragmenting or breaking up.

There was, and still is, a movement called "The International Commission for the Anglican - Orthodox Theological Dialogue", but from the Orthodox side, the conclusions recently seem to be similar to what I have just outlined.

Africa, as already mentioned, is a different story. Some may object to their stance on certain things, but they are indeed growing.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose the C of E staggers on, and in some areas still looks quite lively. I notice in my area of London, fairly affluent yuppies seem to go to local Anglican churches, not sure if it's to do with school catchment areas!

All their cleaners are Catholic of course!

Maybe it would be best if the C of E dwindled away?

The longer term view is interesting. Somebody mentioned that there are cycles in religiosity, so that there might be a new religious revival. Possibly.

I recall my grandparents, born about 1880, who were totally non-religious, as were most of their friends. So the decline in working class areas may go back a long time - to 1800 maybe?

One thing that strikes me about reading Jane Austen, is that religion is treated as a social custom more than anything. So its guts have already been ripped out? Possibly this is to do with embourgeoisement, ah relief, I got that word in for July. Mild compulsion.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
There is, in the Church of England and elsewhere, much what I would term "churchianity", which, as others have said, doesn't really challenge nor change people. It is theme park stuff performed as palliative care for the terminally lost... Somehow, somewhere, we need to engender real holiness.

This hits the nail on the head, IMO. And I'd agree that it must come from the grassroots, with a groundswell of people who genuinely want to see more fruit of the Spirit in their lives and are prepared to make personal sacrifices in pursuit of this.

Funnily enough, referring to Mark Betts' post (edit - and quetzalcoatl's) above, I see secularism as a valuable friend in this. The more people see being a Christian as a positive counter-cultural choice that involves serious commitment, the better, I think. IMO, church attendance is pretty much meaningless if it's just social custom and there's no accompanying desire to reflect more of God's goodness in one's life, so bring on the secularism, I say!

[ 13. July 2012, 08:09: Message edited by: South Coast Kevin ]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Funnily enough, referring to Mark Betts' post (edit - and quetzalcoatl's) above, I see secularism as a valuable friend in this. The more people see being a Christian as a positive counter-cultural choice that involves serious commitment, the better, I think. IMO, church attendance is pretty much meaningless if it's just social custom and there's no accompanying desire to reflect more of God's goodness in one's life, so bring on the secularism, I say!

You may be right South Coast Kevin - maybe it's not secularism itself which is the problem, but the Church's reaction to it - it can either become counter-cultural, or it can just be swept along with the prevailing winds of change.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Th Certainly, the engaged, confident, evangelistic Church seen in this video must now seem more foreign to the average Briton

IME the church (esp as seen in this video) has always been foreign to the average Briton. How does that kind of faith expression relate to everyday life - esp in the age of Pathe news?

I don't know, perhaps we could track down one of the hundreds of people in the video and ask them. Most of the adults — the priests, nuns, servers, and the great mass of the congregation — will presumably be dead, but there are several small children there who may remember the Church of England at its height. There's the written evidence, including such lucid and popular accounts as Betjeman's wonderful Summoned by Bells, with its expression of the religious faith of a young man.

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
This is a dream of a form of Christianity which no longer has the power to convert anybody.

How so?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the image of the Church of England as a social club is pretty much gone. Nobody has to go to church, so the people who go aren't just part of the same club any more than the groups who attend the local evangelical church, and a whole lot less than those churches that organise every night of the week to occupy their members with house groups and study groups and the like.

I think it's a misapprehension promulgated by Christians who wear their hearts on their sleeve and shout loudly about being Christian and how it changes their lives. Rather than those who you would not realise are Christians because their faith is deeply but quietly held. Thinking of two couples, one ran the collection for the Manna centre, ran the rota of people voluntary washing up at the weekend and take their turn for washing up at the same homeless centre, provide lifts for people to come to church, ran a local housing charity organising a guarantee and deposit system for homeless people, run the support group for the bereaved, helped set up and run the Credit Union, take their turn providing coffee for the market day coffee - now they did more, but they're in their 80s and doing less - and I only know a small part of what they were doing. Another couple volunteer regularly in the prison, providing play facilities for the visiting children and now run the housing guarantee scheme and much more in running the church, maintenance, cleaning, also the coffee for market day and welcome and support baptism parties. Both those couples would be seen as part of a Church of England social club by outsiders.

Of the local team of CofE churches, two are growing, that means they are gaining more people than are dying and there are other local growing CofE churches. And it is not just about church schools for this team. Only one of the local primary schools is a church school and living in that village is more likely to get a place, rather than church attendance. One of the very sought after local secondary schools is a Foundation School and selects on church attendance, but here that only has a minimal effect - church attendance doesn't necessarily work here (lots of regular church attenders did not get their children in, and others chose not to). For one of the other local churches attendance for that school causes a big effect - but they are much closer.

Just for your information, Holy Trinity Brompton is a CofE church.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember a thread on this very subject comparatively recently. Can anyone find it and would it shed any light on our path?

One of the things that concerns me, meanwhile, is how Anglicanism - at the popular evangelical end - seems to be busily throwing out its particular distinctives in favour of what I call 'Vineyard-envy' or a largely uncritical acceptation of methodologies developed in some of the 'new churches'.

I'm not necessarily thinking of external trappings so much as a particular mindset ... it's as if the tradition of Hooker, Lancelot Andrewes, Herbert, Donne, Eliot, of Evelyn Underhill and Michael Ramsey is being traded for a mess of evangelical-lite pottage.

Over on the sermon thread I've railed about my brother's experience - after some years in the wilderness - of trying to feel his way back into church life only to find - even at the 9am 'Sung Eucharist' a vicar in a tie holding his nose and making snorkelling gestures for 'He's higher than a skyscraper, he's deeper than a submarine ...'

Call me elitist, but for crying out loud ...

[Roll Eyes]

I think the reality is, that just like the Labour Party at the time of Blair, the CofE lost confidence in its own identity and wanted to borrow other people's.

Look where that led the Labour Party ...

With a Via Media you are bound to get people hiving off both ends - to Rome or Orthodoxy on the one hand or to evangelical charismatic style settings at the other.

The trick, then, must be to develop a strong central core. And that is a difficult thing to pull off.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I recall my grandparents, born about 1880, who were totally non-religious, as were most of their friends. So the decline in working class areas may go back a long time - to 1800 maybe?

Probably, yes. The 1851 church census indicated a level of churchgoing below 1/3rd of the population (all denominations), contra to the usual victorian claims. The pattern was far from consistent: churchgoing had a direct correlation to wealth and location - the richer you were and the more rural your location, the more likely you were to attend church. Poor urban areas had low levels of churchgoing but to what extent that reflected the poor quality of priests or simple indifference is the subject of another study.

Suffice to say, IMHO the church of england has never related to the poor. Now there supposedly aren't the poor, no one is bothered anyway.

[ 13. July 2012, 09:00: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hmmm...those of us from the evangelical end of the CofE would take issue with all of the above representing any kind of 'high point' for the CofE [Razz]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh blast, somebody had repeated my whole post, so naturally, enough my innate narcissism was very gratified by this. But now I see, that only a small section has been copied, so yah bum tittiyarks.

[ 13. July 2012, 09:02: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Thank you very much for repeating my post. My innate narcissism is of course very gratified by this.

Seeing it in bold also gives it extra charisma, so probably today will go with an extra zing!

Sorry finger trouble - was editing!
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

Hmmm...those of us from the evangelical end of the CofE would take issue with all of the above representing any kind of 'high point' for the CofE [Razz]
Yep, I'm with you on this one: what kind of cultural engagement did this really show to the man on the Clapham Omnibus?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

This is all splendidly postmodern. My post expressing grief at the shortening of my longer post criss-crossed with your post expressing regret at copying the whole post, and now I am posting my delight that our posts had criss-crossed! Joy!

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

Probably, yes. The 1851 church census indicated a level of churchgoing below 1/3rd of the population (all denominations), contra to the usual victorian claims. The pattern was far from consistent: churchgoing had a direct correlation to wealth and location - the richer you were and the more rural your location, the more likely you were to attend church. Poor urban areas had low levels of churchgoing but to what extent that reflected the poor quality of priests or simple indifference is the subject of another study.

Suffice to say, IMHO the church of england has never related to the poor. Now there supposedly aren't the poor, no one is bothered anyway.

People used to say that Wesley saved the UK from revolution, as he evangelized the poor working class, which had basically left the C of E a long time ago.

I'm not sure about the revolution, but presumably it is otherwise correct, hence the many chapels in villages in Wales, Cornwall, etc.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
quote:

Yep, I'm with you on this one: what kind of cultural engagement did this really show to the man on the Clapham Omnibus?
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd agree with South Coast Kevin, I don't think mere church membership, in itself, means much.

Curiosity killed had an interesting post. There are indeed people involved with churches who do really good things and they are often the most modest and unassuming. A lot of really good stuff goes on under the radar. I don't think you necessarily have to be a loud self-promoter to realise there is much amiss with the institution though.

Gamaliel is right. There is much deep Anglican thought and piety which seems to get pushed aside by more raucous, less thoughtful, elements.

It's an ongoing process.

[ 13. July 2012, 09:14: Message edited by: Sir Pellinore (ret'd) ]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
This is all splendidly postmodern. My post expressing grief at the shortening of my longer post criss-crossed with your post expressing regret at copying the whole post, and now I am posting my delight that our posts had criss-crossed! Joy!

Your joy is great for you but it isn't my joy, of course -- but I don't deny you the right to have that joy.
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
[QUOTE]People used to say that Wesley saved the UK from revolution, as he evangelized the poor working class, which had basically left the C of E a long time ago.

I'm not sure about the revolution, but presumably it is otherwise correct, hence the many chapels in villages in Wales, Cornwall, etc.

Yes, good old E P Thompson and "The Making of the English Working Class." It's his central thesis that Methodism in England (esp in the West Riding) prevented the kind of revolution seen in France in the 1790's.

I don't think the working class has left or did leave the cofe - they've never been in it, so far as any voice they might have is concerned.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, going back to my grandparents, and their milieu, which was cotton mills in Lancashire, it wasn't that Christianity was viewed with distaste or anything negative, it was that it just didn't figure. It didn't enter their consciousness, except for one grandad, who swore when he saw a clergyman in the street, as he reckoned that in WWI, where he fought, they just blessed you on your way to being massacred.

--------------------

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
quote:

1851 may be a significant date, though. That's immediately before the start of a massive move to evangelize the urban poor. A movement that — like it or not (and I suppose that Matt Black isn't too found of admitting it, lest it challenge his triumphal narrative of Protestant ascendancy)— led almost entirely by priests on the higher side of things. Thus, new missionary churches were built. Some of these — such as St Mary's, Bourne Street, St Bartholomew's Church, Brighton, and even All Saints', Margaret Street — are now well prominent on a national level, whilst many others continue from day to day in godly obscurity, often in areas that remain poor.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Over on the sermon thread I've railed about my brother's experience - after some years in the wilderness - of trying to feel his way back into church life only to find - even at the 9am 'Sung Eucharist' a vicar in a tie holding his nose and making snorkelling gestures for 'He's higher than a skyscraper, he's deeper than a submarine ...'

Call me elitist, but for crying out loud ...

quote:
I think that would have me holding my nose and making gestures too,although of a rather different kind
I think the reality is, that just like the Labour Party at the time of Blair, the CofE lost confidence in its own identity and wanted to borrow other people's.

Look where that led the Labour Party ...

With a Via Media you are bound to get people hiving off both ends - to Rome or Orthodoxy on the one hand or to evangelical charismatic style settings at the other.

The trick, then, must be to develop a strong central core. And that is a difficult thing to pull off.

I think this is spot on. Whatever Matt Black and others think about the examples cited in the OP (and they are from a particualr period when a particular type of Anglicanism was in the ascendant: no doubt one could compile a list of more Evangelical examples from another period) they come from a time when the CofE felt- this is of course a generalisation- no need to apologise for having a distinctive identity. we seem to have lost very much of that now.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
1851 may be a significant date, though. That's immediately before the start of a massive move to evangelize the urban poor. A movement that — like it or not (and I suppose that Matt Black isn't too found of admitting it, lest it challenge his triumphal narrative of Protestant ascendancy)— led almost entirely by priests on the higher side of things. Thus, new missionary churches were built. Some of these — such as St Mary's, Bourne Street, St Bartholomew's Church, Brighton, and even All Saints', Margaret Street — are now well prominent on a national level, whilst many others continue from day to day in godly obscurity, often in areas that remain poor.

They are not forgotten by me - people sometimes need reminding that it's not just evangelicals who can evangelize!

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm...yes and no. 1851 is indeed a pivotal date in that it showed much to the shock of the Victorian establishment that only about half the population attended church regularly and of those only about half went to CofE gaffes; the rest were largely non-cons with Catholics a significant and growing minority, IIRC.

But I would question the extent to which the A-Cs took up the slack with the urban poor thereafter; Robin Gamble, in The Irrelevant Church argues that the urban working classes remained largely unevangelised through the 19th century. This was despite the efforts of the A-Cs and at the other end of the spectrum the Sally Army; it was really only the rise of Pentecostalism in the early 20th century that started to make more of an inroad into the poorer sections of society. There is still of course much work to be done by all of us...

[reply to (S)pike Couchant]

[ 13. July 2012, 10:23: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One could add, tangentially, that the ascendancy of the CofE happened to coincide with the rise, jingoist period and long gentle decline of the British Empire.

A case in point from my PoV: Many churches were planted all over the Imperial parts of the world, and other places, most of which have ceased to have any purpose, whether out in the woods in places that are no longer settled at all, or in parts of towns where people no longer live.

Quite often, there is an older gent who keeps the place tidy and mows the grass, touchingly happy to show off "his" building to the occasional tourist. Otherwise, nothing disturbs the serenity of pious Gothic Anglicanism in architecture, irrelevant to the world.*

Even the churches that were built in the flush of 1950's enthusiasm in the then-new suburbs are struggling to find a purpose, now that the generations after the builders have succeeded in avoiding church entanglement.

*That seems to be a job shared by myself and an English ex-pat at our local shack!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:

I think this is wishful thinking. And the modern church's boast that it is counter-cultural is a rather disingenous gloss to cover over its regret that it is widely ignored nowadays.

For the great majority of its life the Church, in fact churches collectively, have not seen themselves as counter-cultural. Instead they were determined that their culture should also be everyone else's culture. And used various means of control - religious and secular - to make sure that was the case.

Most people in this country (if they thought about it at all) would probably see themselves now as being freed from the churches' cultural shackles. And rather than being taken in by the churches' counter-cultural rhetoric their suspicion would be that the churches would reimpose their cultural worldview given half a chance.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
Most people in this country (if they thought about it at all) would probably see themselves now as being freed from the churches' cultural shackles. And rather than being taken in by the churches' counter-cultural rhetoric their suspicion would be that the churches would reimpose their cultural worldview given half a chance.

True dat.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
One could add, tangentially, that the ascendancy of the CofE happened to coincide with the rise, jingoist period and long gentle decline of the British Empire.

A case in point from my PoV: Many churches were planted all over the Imperial parts of the world, and other places, most of which have ceased to have any purpose, whether out in the woods in places that are no longer settled at all, or in parts of towns where people no longer live.

Quite often, there is an older gent who keeps the place tidy and mows the grass, touchingly happy to show off "his" building to the occasional tourist. Otherwise, nothing disturbs the serenity of pious Gothic Anglicanism in architecture, irrelevant to the world.*

Even the churches that were built in the flush of 1950's enthusiasm in the then-new suburbs are struggling to find a purpose, now that the generations after the builders have succeeded in avoiding church entanglement.

*That seems to be a job shared by myself and an English ex-pat at our local shack!

There is a thesis that rising powers, especially imperial ones, tend to develop strong religions, as a kind of supportive ideology to the political purpose. And correspondingly, as they decline, the religion also tends to decline.

It is interesting, but unfortunately, probably impossible to test empirically.

I suppose you can make predictions from it: thus the US should now decline in religiosity; China should increase, and so on. However, there are so many blasted confounds here.

I can't pin it to a particular historian, so maybe it is a sort of urban myth.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, Arnold Toynbee came to the conclusion that the function of an Empire (or Universal State, as he called it) is to generate a Universal Religion. Not quite what those who funded him expected.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Matt Black

I'm surprised at you:

'Hmmm...those of us from the evangelical end of the CofE would take issue with all of the above representing any kind of 'high point' for the CofE ..'

I can understand people from the evo wing taking issue with some of the Anglo-Catholic bits but some of the musical and artistic elements that were cited there - the music of Vaughan Williams, the poetry of Eliot ...

Heck, if evos are going to start dissing any of that then they are worse than I thought ...

[Mad]

I've got nothing particularly against Norman Warren's hymns, the hymns of Timothy Dudley Smith and so on - I actually quite like a lot of that stuff - but I don't think that that side of things is ALL that Anglicanism has to offer.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The concept of the CofE as a broad church seems to be increasingly strained, to judge from what I read here and elsewhere. It prevents the church from showing a united face to the world, and it hinders evangelism. Is the growing evangelical influence preventing the church from reaching out to a broader constituency? If so, one solution is for the CofE to split, and to focus on developing a strong single identity. The trouble is, a declining church isn't going to encourage members to leave when there's no guarantee of replacing them. It would take an exceptionally bold and fearless leader to take this risk, and the CofE won't choose a leader like that.

Anglicanism in Wales received a boost by being disestablished, so perhaps this is the answer, although the social and cultural circumstances weren't quite the same.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
@Matt Black

I'm surprised at you:

'Hmmm...those of us from the evangelical end of the CofE would take issue with all of the above representing any kind of 'high point' for the CofE ..'

I can understand people from the evo wing taking issue with some of the Anglo-Catholic bits but some of the musical and artistic elements that were cited there - the music of Vaughan Williams, the poetry of Eliot ...

Heck, if evos are going to start dissing any of that then they are worse than I thought ...

[Mad]

Just redressing the balance of the bias inherent in the OP which, you have to admit, was very nosebleed high in its prejudice.

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to St Johns Timberhill Norwich on a couple of occasions recently and they could probably match the show in the video on most Sundays. They are an exceptionally popular and traditional Church of England parish.

The Church of England churches that are failing seem to be the ones that most avoid any sort of religious fervour be that catholic of evangelical.

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
...Anglicanism in Wales received a boost by being disestablished, so perhaps this is the answer, although the social and cultural circumstances weren't quite the same.

One of the things that I like about the CinW is that IME it is 'post-established', by which I mean that it sees itself as having the responsibilities of an established, or perhaps rather a national, church, without the privileges that go with it. AIUI disestablishment benefited the CinW because it enabled wehat was formerly the CofE in Wales to reinvent itself as a national institution rather than a sometimes somewhat neglected branch of an institution run from Canterbury and Westminster. Thus it came, over time, to be seen less as the 'hen estron' ('old foreigner') and more as the 'hen fam' ('old mother'). This of course was at a time when there were very few Welsh national institutions.
I think that another important factor is that the CinW has been slightly less badly hit by the very heavy secularisation that has taken place in Wales over the last 50 years. It's now the largest single denomination here (although if you add the Independents and the Presbyterians together they are bigger). My guess is that having stronger central structures has helped keep more churches from closing: the CinW has shrunk but traditional Welsh nonconformity has been much worse affected.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This evangelical newbie loves Howell and Britten. [Cool] (Although Saints Redman, Townend, Beeching and Kendrick are more likely to feature in my Sunday-by-Sunday worship. My appreciation for different styles and traditions of sacred music is as eclectic as my tastes in secular music.)

The OP caught my attention because, like many others, I am exercised by this issue.

It was commented on upthread how the Anglican Church has a strong Catholic wing and a strong Evangelical wing but lacks a central core to hold these two streams together (given the inevitable tension between them). Given the Anglican Church's history, perhaps it is inevitable that its greatest strength -- the Via Media -- is also its greatest weakness.

(As an 'evo' from a rather strict Brethren background, I appreciated the room to breathe that the Anglican Church gave me, theologically. I discovered a more generous, thoughtful stream of evangelicalism within Anglicanism. [Smile] )

I suspect that the CoE WILL break up, at some point. It will be very sad if that occurs, but I just don't see how the three streams can hold together, not with two such contentious issues currently threatening to tear the CoE apart: women bishops and gay marriage. I think the latter issue will be the deal-breaker. Anglicans who sincerely believe that gay marriage isn't biblical can't easily co-habit (if you'll pardon the expression) with Anglicans who sincerely believe that gay marriage is a matter of equality and justice.

And of course each stream (Anglo-Catholic, Liberal, Evangelical) contains multi-streams. E.g. many open evangelicals are pro-women bishops but not necessarily happy about gay marriage.

One of my personal high points of English Anglicanism would be the ministry and teaching of the late, great David Watson. (Can't believe he went to glory 30 years ago ... ) He was the sane voice of the charismatic renewal, and fellowshipped with Roman Catholics. A good and wise man. I wonder what he would have had to say about today's crises ...

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus

That's very interesting. Do you think the CofE could learn anything from the Welsh experience?

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Well, it's only my understanding of what went on, of course. But my immediate answer is probably not very much, because the CofE is starting from a different point in a different cultural and political context. I'd say the most important thign would be to keep a sense of being a national church rather than a sect, whatever that may mean, but that'd be good advice IMO whether disestablished or not.

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed!

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
[Just redressing the balance of the bias inherent in the OP which, you have to admit, was very nosebleed high in its prejudice.

I admit nothing of the kind! If others wish to describe my branch as 'nosebleed high', then they are free to do so, but the only self-description I would take is that we practice and teach the faith of the Church Catholic as it has been received in England, within the context of the Established Church. Naturally, a high view of the sacraments and the episcopacy is an important part of that. So, in that sense, we are 'High Church' in the tradition of Laud, Herbert, Cosin, and the Tractarians but this tradition, rather than being somehow 'extreme' as you seem to imply is instead an integral part of the Church in this country and, I hope, ever shall be.

quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:

The Church of England churches that are failing seem to be the ones that most avoid any sort of religious fervour be that catholic of evangelical.

I think that's probably true actually. Certainly my experience of the CofE is that it has some very large evangelical parishes and some thriving Anglo-Catholic parishes, and a lot of struggling MotR parishes. There are exceptions, of course, but it does seem that places that advertize EITHER 'Morning Worship' or 'High/Solemn Mass' seem to get larger congregations than those that advertize 'Holy Communion', 'Sung Eucharist', 'Parish Mass' (the tiny number of parishes that have matins as a main service do not seem to be any more successful either).

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I was simply taking issue with the ignoring of the Protestant wing of the CofE in your OP: the CofE is Reformed Catholic, not (merely) the 'Church Catholic as it has been received in England' (I think our RC shipmates would take grave exception to that term as well!).

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is a thesis that rising powers, especially imperial ones, tend to develop strong religions, as a kind of supportive ideology to the political purpose. And correspondingly, as they decline, the religion also tends to decline.

It is interesting, but unfortunately, probably impossible to test empirically.

I suppose you can make predictions from it: thus the US should now decline in religiosity; China should increase, and so on. However, there are so many blasted confounds here.

I can't pin it to a particular historian, so maybe it is a sort of urban myth. [/QB]

As the Anglican Church in this area declines, we see several desperate attempts to force the few remaining practitioners to conform back to an old style. The BCP-only gang are hot on the trail of archaic language and irrelevant mysterious chanting in the belief that this will bring thousands (well, at least maybe tens) of people storming in the doors; the "no-women-cooties" gang are having nervous breakdowns in thehope of getting some sympathy; and no-one in the hierarchy has yet heard that SSM has been legal in Canada for several years now.

How is this supposed to attract people who speak largely in text form, who have women as equals in the work force, and who know married gay/les couples and their children?

I am in the position of a museum-keeper: the village church is well-maintained and open to the public during the hours of the secular museum across the road (which also houses the last vestiges of Masonic stuff in the area!) and my friend and I keep the churchyard cemetery in shape.

But, as my wife says "We're circling the drain. At least we can keep on doing something while we're afloat".

Meanwhile the local deanery is involved in huge complicated meetings about whether adjusting the parish boundaries will buy us some time and/or cost less.

Deckchairs...Titanic ...but no iceberg, just irrelevance.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:

It was commented on upthread how the Anglican Church has a strong Catholic wing and a strong Evangelical wing but lacks a central core to hold these two streams together (given the inevitable tension between them). Given the Anglican Church's history, perhaps it is inevitable that its greatest strength -- the Via Media -- is also its greatest weakness.

Hmmm! Eclectic city-centre churches that trade on their distinctive style of worship and/or theology are very much the exception. Most C of E parishes simply aim to serve their locality and worship God in the way that they know best. I don't know of any statistics that would suggest that MOTR churches are failing relative to the other two strands. And indeed in rural areas there is often little else on offer.

Looking around this 90% urban, largely evangelical diocese there are many struggling churches of all traditions. There are also many with thriving and enthusiastic congregations, not all in prosperous districts, and they represent all shades of the theological spectrum.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

I don't know. I've often thought that the most heroic thing an Anglican parish could do would be to pick a style of liturgy (my own preference would be the English Missal with the ceremonial based on a strict and peculiar interpretation of the first edition of Fortescue, but I'm open to other sensible suggestions) and then change nothing about it. Ever. This would send a very powerful message that the relevancy of the Church is not dependent upon following the latest fads, but instead on its very changelessness. So that, in the words of the final collect from Compline 'we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this fleeting world, may repose upon thy eternal changelessness'. Young people, in particular, would I think find such a church very 'authentic' and rooted in the lived experience of a people, thus be more likely to attend (as it is, we are risk of losing a generation to the Orthodox, who have been much wiser than we in the West).

Of course, we cannot afford to ignore the changes in the world around us, but these may be confined to sermons and pastoral care, whilst the core of the Church's being, namely her worship, rests in eternal changelessness.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016