homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » 8D - Quiet Zone: Mindfulness

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 8D - Quiet Zone: Mindfulness
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine commented to me recently that she and her daughter had both tried mindfulness and decided it wasn't for them, as they couldn't get on with sitting there trying to make their minds blank.

I pointed out that this is not what mindfulness actually is, and that there's quite a variety of different ways into mindfulness; and I wondered whether shipmates had tried it, and what their preferred methods were?

[ 19. March 2017, 14:39: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been discussing mindfulness recently because we were going to have it imposed on us at work*. I know I don't find the particular form of mindfulness suggested - listening to our bodies and hearing what we are feeling - helpful. I was so irritated that I bothered researching contraindications. Apparently I am not alone with not finding this version of mindfulness unhelpful, it doesn't help people with chronic pain as getting in touch with their pain isn't constructive.

Having researched it, the thing I find helpful is immersive engagement = those colouring books, art, photography, walking - those activities are immersive engagement.

* New clinical psychologist who knows everything and doesn't need to listen to anyone, which means I have to a whole lot of extra work this weekend.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone suggest where I might start to understand it? It has been suggested to me as a way of extending the Quaker stillness through the week.

I think it would probably be helpful for me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked my way through this book and found it really helpful as an introduction to mindfulness. I did each exercise for a week; such as using your non dominant hand, noticing trees, noticing gratefulness. Some of the exercises didn't suit so I skipped them and may try again.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mindfulness is the art of centering yourself in the present. This is particularly useful when worries and preoccupations start to overwhelm you. It can give you a breathing space to step back and get perspective.

There are many different approaches to this. About a year ago I went on a half day course where the tutor said she was going to give us an overview of as many kinds as she could, so that hopefully everybody would leave with at least one technique that worked for them. The following is a description of what we tried.

We listened to calming sounds (waves of the sea, and New Age music). We focused on being in the present moment and become aware of our immediate surroundings and how we felt, the temperature in the room, the feel of our clothes, etc. We concentrated on handheld objects, noticing the tiny details, colours, textures, weights.

There was the visualization of a place of peace (a particular scene personal to you that you find deeply restful and relaxing) and we came up with some keywords to try to use as shortcuts. We tried listening to silence – the world is surprisingly noisy even in a quiet room, with passing traffic, people walking by outside, the gentle hum of air conditioning, the creak of furniture, the sound of someone moving in their chair. We did some breathing exercises, then some physical relaxation exercises.

So far so good. She then tried to get us to do a primal roar, then letting it all out in a groan, and then some "laughter yoga". If you're on your own, try standing in front of a mirror and practising laughing. You're quite likely to end up genuinely laughing.

Most of these exercises were suitable for people on their own but there were some that involved more than one person. There was a memory game with a pack of cards, where we took it in turns to find the pairs, and collaboration on describing the Day from Hell. This had the desired result of getting people to collapse in fits of laughter as we each tried to out-exaggerate each other (this is a helpful way of getting the point across about not catastrophizing). Everybody - and it was a large group - said afterwards that they'd found at least one technique that worked for them.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Having researched it, the thing I find helpful is immersive engagement = those colouring books, art, photography, walking - those activities are immersive engagement.

I agree with this. Mindful colouring is fun - Zentangles are another thing, though I can't do them myself - and photography, which gets you focusing on what's around you, is also good.

Another thing someone else suggested was gratitude. Think of three things to look forward to at the start of the day, and at the end of the day before you go to sleep, look back on five that you're grateful for. You can make it more if you want.

(I was struck by one young lady's response to this in the class - "I can't think of anything to be grateful for.")

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I have been discussing mindfulness recently because we were going to have it imposed on us at work

Surely they'll be some who object on conscience grounds - what will happen to them?
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mindfulness is a repackaging of old ideas. People used to just set a while and watch the world go by, the snow fall or get into the rhythm of a walk. It is more important to match the mindful method to the person than the method to the person. The objection to having it imposed is entirely reasonable. Not that I like the term "mindful". Which implies the error of thoughtlessness, and prioritizes thought over feeling.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chester Cathedral had a very good Mindfulness Day in collaboration with Retreat House Chester. Shaun Lambert - a Baptist Minister who teaches Mindfulness was one of the speakers. He grounds it very well within the Christian faith - especially on the themes of watchfulness and remaining vigilant.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016