homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Godly chat-up lines (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Godly chat-up lines
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently worked on a story with our friends at Christian Connection for the Daily Telegraph on godly chat-up lines. Full story here.

Christian Connection asked churchgoers for their favourites. The best follow. Any more for any more?

• 'Now I know why Solomon had 700 wives. He never met you.'
  • 'Is this pew taken?'
  • 'I just don't feel called to celibacy.'
  • 'You float my ark.'
  • 'I didn't believe in predestination until tonight.'
  • 'My parents are home, wanna come over?'
  • 'Is that a thinline, duo-tone, compact, ESV travel bible in your pocket?'
  • 'Let me sell you an indulgence - it's a sin to look as good as you.'
  • 'How many times do I have to walk around you before you fall for me?"
  • 'I like to arrange the substantial Christian section of my bookshelf into alphabetical order. Coffee?"
  • 'The name is Will. God's Will.'

[ 02. July 2010, 18:33: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*tangent*
Being a crummy typist, I accidentally typed bbce.co.uk instead of BBC... and got a Muslim dating service. Given what I was expecting, it was a bit of a shock!
*tangent off*

Hi, I'm Lazarus. Wanna see me rise from the dead?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You walked into the room and I thought it was the rapture.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you want to receive the gift of tongues?

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fancy a bit of how's Our Father?

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
MusicMonkey
Shipmate
# 3396

- Posted      Profile for MusicMonkey   Email MusicMonkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coincidentally, a friend and I were having this discussion a few weeks back. I'd love to claim these examples as my own...

For Kendrick fans: From heaven you came, helpless babe.

Would you like to survey my wondrous cross?

Fancy meeting up for a chat about predestination? Yeah, that's right, you've no choice.

Posts: 142 | From: North East England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a BCP in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you my neighbour? No? Fantastic - 'cos I really covet your ass!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will of Will's Page swears by the last one on AM's list. I believe he is currently on his 495th girlfriend. [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did it hurt?......
When you fell out of heaven?
[Projectile]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MusicMonkey:

Fancy meeting up for a chat about predestination?

I think that was my father's one, over forty years later he is still happily married only I think the word "chat" might have been slightly different "discussion" "argument" "teaching session" hum none quite right. Put it this way mum was/is a pious Arminian.

Jengie

[ 08. September 2008, 15:09: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You're not one of the Elect either? In which case, it doesn't matter if we sin...

PS Great Gumby, that's in very poor taste. [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
AG

[ 08. September 2008, 16:01: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who needs chat-up lines when the person leading the service says: "Go pray with someone you don't know."

Well, it worked for me.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
wheelie racer
Shipmate
# 13854

- Posted      Profile for wheelie racer   Email wheelie racer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one that actually happened to my friend.

Guy came up to her in Church and said God told me to marry you

Lo and behold, 6 months later they were indeed married (six years on they are now divorced, but that's another story..)

--------------------
Disability Rights: To boldly go where everyone else has gone..

Posts: 171 | From: off this planet | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Hey baby, ever wondered who Ezekiel 23:20 was written about?

AG

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel moved to join you in the laying on of hands

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread brings to mind the great tune "Walking in Memphis," which includes the lyrics
quote:
She said,
Tell me, are you a Christian child?
I said, "Ma'am, I am tonight."

I always thought of this line as a spontaneous outpouring of gratitude to the Almighty for finding a good woman. My son said it was just "Lying about Jesus in order to get laid." He's probably right. Sigh. Another illusion shattered.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Wanna see why they call me Goliath?

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:

to which I feel a suitable response is:

"because you're the most enormous Philistine?"

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
quote:

to which I feel a suitable response is:

"because you're the most enormous Philistine?"

[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One I remember from a similar idea in the vintage Wittenburg Door:

"You have the soul of Mother Teresa and the body of Amy Grant."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my soul panteth after thee.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

Nah - the jawbone of an ass is in Judges...
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear - the cost of being a Heavenly Host is that I have now spread about three gallons of coffee spray over my screen.

Kuruman and I got together in an argument over Universalism, but I doubt I had a witty opening line. Maybe 'if I show you my christological universalism can I see your ... errrm ... christological inclusivism?'

Er. No. I think NOT. [Hot and Hormonal]

[In actual fact I was a broadcaster at the time and my opening line was 'hey, you're kuruman and I wanna interview you', which is nearly as bad]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

How do you fancy a bit of backsliding?

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Would you like to be fearfully and wonderfully laid?

--------------------

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TGG - should we be worried that you're so good at these?

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone who is now a priest, so I won't divulge her name, once reported that her teenage boyfriend declared 'God wants us to explore the beauty of what he has created' as his hands started to wander.....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For use by clergy:

Wanna see me in a long black dress?

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.

Hey, it worked for Solomon.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:

I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever been to a party in Baltimore. [Devil]

Did you know I've got a ministry of emboldening prayer? After 5 minutes with me, you'll be screaming out to God.

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:

I think that was my father's one, over forty years later he is still happily married only I think the word "chat" might have been slightly different "discussion" "argument" "teaching session" hum none quite right. Put it this way mum was/is a pious Arminian.

Jengie

"Wanna learnt about total depravity?"
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

I can see why the Bible says God's a potter - those jugs are divine!

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:

Jengie

"Wanna learnt about total depravity?"
Of course that would sound better if I could read

[ 08. September 2008, 21:06: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TGG - did you use all of those lines on Keren-Happuch?

Poor girl. [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

Someday, when I'm really bored, I'm going to join a Christian dating site, and my teaser line will be "Titus 2 woman seeks Ezekiel 23:20 man." Just to see how many takers I get.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though if I were being honest, I guess it would have to be "Judges 5:26 woman ...."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Not a Proverbs 31 woman?

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.

Hey, it worked for Solomon.

As I recall, there was a thread on cheesy chat-up lines a few months ago which engendered some discussion about "thy hair is as a flock of goats" from the SoS. What with goats being somewhat, um, aromatic ... it was concluded that the line wouldn't work so well today.

[ 09. September 2008, 03:36: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:

I, too, was intrigued by TGG's ease and skill in this.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I like the way your cup runneth over.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Shouldn't that be plural? Otherwise it's just a "wardrobe malfunction."

[ 09. September 2008, 05:07: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Believe it or not, I've never been any good with chat-up lines, and I've never even used one. I can only assume that God has given this thread His blessing with a special anointing.

Do you want to feel the Spirit move?

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How're YOU Jew-ing?

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the parsley sage
Shipmate
# 12821

- Posted      Profile for the parsley sage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Nice bracelet. WWJD: What Would Jesus Date? Oh, I mean 'Do'..."

"You know Jesus?! Me too!"

"Are you busy tonight? Fancy a Bible study?"

We had fun with these at a youth camp recently. One of the camp directors published a list in the daily newsletter...

--------------------
Boys in books are better

Posts: 934 | From: in a race against thyme | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgerow Priest
Shipmate
# 13905

- Posted      Profile for Hedgerow Priest   Email Hedgerow Priest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"awright darlin'! fancy getting down to some serious exegesis at my place?"

--------------------
"Where is the Love"
Saint Fergy de Pea

Posts: 362 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by the parsley sage:
"Nice bracelet. WWJD: What Would Jesus Date? Oh, I mean 'Do'..."

In a similar vein:

WWJD: Who Would Jesus Do?

[ 09. September 2008, 09:21: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Fancy a bit of Love Your Neighbour?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just found a suitable one in a story I've been reading:

I feel another revival comin' on. Let's get to the sinnin' part.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I can only assume that God has given this thread His blessing with a special anointing.

Leading to...

God wants me to give you a special anointing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016