homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Kerygmania   » Teliosis (Matthew 5:38-48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Teliosis (Matthew 5:38-48)
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Matthew 5

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that. 48 Be perfect (teleosis), therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Okay, this is a week late, but I have aways had difficulties with understanding what Jesus means by pefect. However, the word "teleosis" can also be interpreted to mean "complete" or "mature."

To me, it seems Jesus is telling his audience (and us) to grow up.

How does looking at the alternative translation of teleosis affect your understanding of the passage?

[ 20. February 2017, 01:24: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight mistake in the above post The term is teleos. Teleosis refers to the division of cells.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Perhaps it's a call to make sure you use the right word]

Of course, the lectionary matches it with Leviticus "Be holy, as God is holy". And, this saying "be perfect" follows a section where Jesus repeats some of the same laws that follow that statement in Leviticus, "you have heard it said ... but I say". Is it not possible that Jesus is echoing that same "be holy"?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree with Gramps. The Oxford dictionaries web site tells us that "teleosis" is "perfection, completion, consummation".

I believe the term for cell division is mitosis.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course the Greek text is all we have in writing, but does anyone hear know what he would have said in Aramaic?

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that it could be understood as -

Be complete, as I am complete.

or

Be the person you were meant to be, as I am the person I was meant to be.

These at least avoid the idea that we are all to become identical.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
I have heard that it could be understood as -

Be complete, as I am complete.

or

Be the person you were meant to be, as I am the person I was meant to be.

These at least avoid the idea that we are all to become identical.

The Greek root tele has the idea of reaching a goal. In John 19:30
quote:
When Jesus had received the wine, he said, ‘It is finished.’ Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
He wasn't just saying that his life was over; he was saying that he had done what he was supposed to do.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016