homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Kerygmania   » Fire in the hole (so to speak)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Fire in the hole (so to speak)
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul famously (in 1 Cor 7) said:

quote:
But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn.
What does that mean? Is he saying that the horny person's only choices are to get married and bonk, or stay single and burn with unrequited passion because they sure as hell (literally) aren't going to be bonking outside holy wedlock?

That's how I've heard the passage interpreted.

Is that right? What do our biblical scholars, and/or people who know more than I do about the Bible, and/or people who know less about the Bible than I do (if there are any) say?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul felt that the second coming would be in his lifetime. Consequently, he saw no real need to procreate. It did not take long for the church to realize this would be unworkable (about 20 years tops).

There was one cult in America that tried to take Paul literally, the Shakers. They survived for about 100 years because they took in orphans and abandoned children. As I recall the last of them have died. All we have remaining of them is their furniture and some of their songs (Lord of the Dance, for example)

Martin Luther used to tell seminarians, "If you can't keep it in your pants, get married."

I think both Paul and Luther had to agree the sex drive is more powerful than the ideal co celibacy.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he's just saying that someone who can't control his/her sexual urges ought to deal with it by getting married. That is IMHO one of the reasons marriage was created.

Certainly this contradicts the romantic ideal of marriage as well as the common Western belief that marriage ought to be a major meeting of soulmates or what have you, but this was a culture of largely arranged marriages made for many reasons, most of them practical; and there's a lot to be said for that view of marriage. Wasn't it Johnson who said that the man who was happy with one woman could be happy with dozens? Meaning, I think, that one major determiner of married bliss is one's own self control, courtesy and kindness.

As for the bit about only choices--well, what other options were there for those who could not be satisfied with masturbation? Adultery is right out, and fornication too, if for no other reason than because it involved so much uncharity to the woman (who would be risking pregnancy while at the same time forgoing her right to support and reputation in the community). Prostitution--can you honestly see Paul recommending that, especially given the OT view of it?

I think Paul is simply being sensible. If this area of your life is driving you nuts, deal with it properly, within the Law, and get on with other things that matter more. You don't need the distraction and you certainly don't need the extra temptation. Go find a yenta.

Full disclosure: I think Paul's advice is still sensible, though anybody who is marrying primarily because of the lust thing ought to give a non-lust-crazed responsible person a veto over bad spouse choices. In other words, concerned parents, a professional matchmaker, or relatives who really care about you. Which would head off the problem of teenagers who are so sex-crazed they grab the first warm body who'll have them and regret it later.

And yes, if it were me (as I once thought it would be) I'd be willing to enter in to such a "sensible" marriage.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I think he's just saying that someone who can't control his/her sexual urges ought to deal with it by getting married.

I think that's a valid interpretation and perhaps the more common. It's also possible to see it as Paul saying that time and energy be spent chasing marriage ought more properly be spent in prayer, preaching, visiting the poor etc.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, I have never heard this scripture read at a wedding. [Devil]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016