homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Kerygmania   » And the Walls Come Tumbling Down

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: And the Walls Come Tumbling Down
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John 4:5-42

There is so much to unpack in this story. You can go various ways. What I am struck by it is how many walls have to tumble down.

There is Jesus in the middle of Samaria, a land self-righteous Jews would avoid, has he no respect.

There is the Samaritan woman. Ostracized in her own town because she had been married five times and is now living with another man (why had she been married five times? Could it be because she was barren?), she has to come to the well mid day to avoid the wagging tongues--maybe even spittle.

Jesus in need. Only she can provide the need. The woman in need. Only Jesus can provide that need.

They begin to talk. Jewish men would have been discouraged from talking to a woman in public if she were not married to him, much less a Samaritan woman of ill repute. Yet he respectfully asks her to give him drink. The woman is drawn into the conversation--maybe because Jesus does not revile her.

She sees he is a rabbi, even a prophet, she wonders if there is more to him than just appearances. She asks. He responds "I AM."

She forgets herself. She leaves her water jug at the well, runs into town and announces her discovery.

The people of the village receive her testimony. They check it out for themselves. At their invitation, Jesus stays for two days. There were other places that never invited Jesus to stay with them. I bet there was a whole lot of partying going on. Then Jesus moves on.

All of this because barriers came tumbling down.

I still have to figure out the interaction between Jesus and his disciples about why it all happened.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might be interested in Spong's view in his The Fourth Gospel: Tales of a Jewish Mystic.
Brief hints:
The woman represents the Samaritan nation and the five husbands were the nations settled in Samaria : 2 Kings 17:24
quote:
The king of Assyria brought people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath, and Sepharvaim, and placed them in the cities of Samaria in place of the people of Israel; they took possession of Samaria, and settled in its cities.

The well is a traditional place for a man to find a wife viz Isaac & Rebecca and others.

In Spong's view of the theme of raising discussions from the mundane/literal to the mystical the need for natural water is raised to the need for living water. I also see this in raising the discussion from the mundane Jerusalem or Gerizim to worshipping in spirit and truth, but Spong does not mention this I think.

Lots of people do not like Spong, so I will just say that he provides an interesting perspective.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016