homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Kerygmania   » Mark 3:39-40 After the storm, slap down

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mark 3:39-40 After the storm, slap down
Unum Solum
Shipmate
# 18904

- Posted      Profile for Unum Solum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark 4:39-40New International Version (NIV)

39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”

What is Jesus on about when he questions their faith? The wording in the other two Gospels is similar and the sentiment is the same. Reading this last night I was perplexed as to what he expected of them, and of course like some other of Jesus comments it seems harsh.

[ 24. January 2018, 04:20: Message edited by: Unum Solum ]

--------------------
I will not say do not weep for not all tears are an evil. - Gandalf

Posts: 53 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my possible explanations is that Jesus was perplexed: he couldn't work out why his ability to be in control of the situation wasn't immediately obvious from the start for his disciples.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They'd already seen Him preach, call them - itself a miracle, a rabbi authoritatively calling peasant fishermen as his acolytes rather than sons of the ruling class - perform very politically pointed public healing upon mass healing, exorcisms and yeah, 'e were robust with them. Times was 'ard and short.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear it as humor. Our Lord is speaking with a rueful grin. "C'mon, guys. This is not a heavy lift. Be cool, okay?"

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The late '60s doesn't project well on classical antiquity.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Unum Solum:
What is Jesus on about when he questions their faith? The wording in the other two Gospels is similar and the sentiment is the same. Reading this last night I was perplexed as to what he expected of them, and of course like some other of Jesus comments it seems harsh.

I think you stopped a little short. The next couple of verses explains it:
quote:
They were overwhelmed by fear and said to one another, “Who then is this? Even the wind and sea obey him!”
They were scared because this man just made the wind and the sea obey him! Now, personally I think it is reasonable for them to have been a little scared. But Jesus' point is that he had been telling them who he was; they had been seeing him do miracles and, yet, he saw that they were still frightened by him. "Who is this that the wind and sea obeys him?" Really, what did he have to do to get them to have faith in him? Rise from the dead?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this part of a major theme in Mark? While the demons or demon possessed know exactly who Jesus is and He has to keep them quiet, his disciples and family (and Mark is implying his audience, and by extension us, are like this) and keep on misunderstanding who He is and are compared to the blind. We are like the blind person that Jesus found so hard to open his eyes that He had to take two goes.

(A friend of mine once wrote a song "Once I was blind, now i'm short-sighted.")

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016