homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ship of Fools Book Group - 2018

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools Book Group - 2018
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A new thread for a new year Could a kind admin close the one for last year, please?

So far for 2018 we have:

January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras

The January thread will be opening shortly, but in the meantime any more suggestions for the year? I was thinking Philip Pullman's The Book of Dust 1 - La Belle Sauvage for later in the year and I know Brenda Clough had the idea of doing Modesty Blaise or something similar. Only problem with that is finding a title that would be easily available. Any ideas BC?

Anyone is welcome to suggest books and to lead and join in discussions so if you haven't kaen part before don't let that stop you joining in.

[ 01. January 2018, 22:53: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a list of all the Modesty Blaise novels.
They're none of them recent publications (the author died in 2010) so it depends on availability. Are they on the shelves in libraries in Britain? Paperbacks are readily available used.

I'd suggest I, Lucifer or The Silver Mistress as reasonably typical examples of Modesty action-adventure.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for those suggestions Brenda Clough for Modesty Blaise novels. I'll have a look and see what might be available in the UK. I must admit to not having seen any around in our local second-hand bookshop.

BTW I've done it again, and pressed send without properly checking my posts. Could someone kindly change the title of this thread to Book Group rather than Bok (maybe I should make a resolution to proof-read better in 2018 [Hot and Hormonal] ).

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your wish, my command! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thank you JJ for closing the 2017 thread and correcting the title on this thread.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a suggestion for later in the year (looks like it comes out in paperback in the UK in March -- I'm not seeing a lot of info on whether a pb will be available in North American then too or not; I read it as an e-book last year). One of the best books I read in 2017 was Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie; a story about terrorism, families, love, and also a modern take on Sophocles' Antigone (which I would have thought impossible till I read this book). There's a lot in it to think about and discuss. Anyone interested?

[ 02. January 2018, 22:15: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, if anyone is looking for the book club discussion threads for the last part of 2017 -- August to November -- I moved them to Limbo as part of the year-end board clean-up.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the idea of Kamila Shamsie Home Fire - it sounds interesting. I also remember last year someone suggested Precious Bane which I've also never read, but which I remember being on my grandfather's bookshelf. I'd be prepared to lead a discussion it in the middle of the year, if it's approved by others.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm interested in both the Kamila Shamsie and Mary Webb's Precious Bane. Any preferences on months for leading the group TS and Marama?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Precious Bane and would happily participate.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'm good for, let's say May or June for Home Fire?

--------------------
Books and things.

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could do Precious Bane in April or May.
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thank you Trudy Scrumptious and Marama for offering to lead with your books. How about this for a tentative programme for the first part of the year?

March - ?
April - 'Precious Bane' led by Marama
May - 'Home Fires' led by Trudy Scrumptious.

I've been trying to track down Modesty Blaise book Brenda Clough. Of the two you suggested The Silver Mistress seemed the most easily available. Well at least it was the cheapest in paperback. They don't appear to be published as ebooks and my local library system (which covers a large chunk of London) doesn't have them in stock. Maybe a rethink. Any similar authors where the books might be easier to obtain?
I was also wondering about Philip Pulman's The Book of Dust - 1. La Belle Sauvage for March. What do people think? You cna find out more about it here.

[ 17. January 2018, 09:56: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I suggest I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (better known for 101 Dalmatians)? It's been described as The Book Every Girl Ought To Read, but it's actually a lot better than that, and it has one of the finest opening sentences in English. (Look it up for yourselves!)

I think I'll skip Precious Bane; - Cold Comfort Farm ruined it for me!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be keen to reread both Mary Webb's Precious Bane and Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle. I loved the latter when I was about 14. And I might try to get to Anthony Trollope too.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
I'd be keen to reread both Mary Webb's Precious Bane and Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle.

Me too. I'll be searching out my copies. (Why did I say that? As if I don't know exactly where they are on my shelves.)

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I Capture the Castle is one of my favourites too. I'll pencil it in for March. Does any one fancy leading the discussion?

March - 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith led by ?

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would happily have done so, but I'm on in February too...

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Andras - I feel the same seeing as I'm leading this months. Leading isn't too arduous. Just post a thread at the begining of the month and some questions on or around the 20th. If you want to add links to sites related to the book or sugest discussion topics around the theme of the book that's great, but not essential. Anyone fancy leading on I Capture the Castle?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Anyone fancy leading on I Capture the Castle?

I'll give it a go. There's a first time for everything. [Smile]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thank you Nenya, that's great news.

Programme so far this year:

January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa - open now
March - 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith led by Nenya

Kepp those suggestions coming.

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

Just heard about the passing of the wonderful Ursula K LeGuin, and wondered if one of her books might be an interesting addition to the list for later in the year. The Left Hand of Darkness, perhaps?

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would rather do LATHE OF HEAVEN. A lit friend has argued, to my mind convincingly, that LATHE is the better-written book.

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I would rather do LATHE OF HEAVEN. A lit friend has argued, to my mind convincingly, that LATHE is the better-written book.

I'll go along with that!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

That would be great. I read it many years ago and I know it left an impression on me at the time, but I don't recall much now, so I'd like an excuse to reread it.

--------------------
Books and things.

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

From what I recall of it it's a bit uneven, but then that's all grist to the bookgroup mill!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

I noticed recently that Morris West's books have been reissued, and wondered if anyone was up for a discussion of one of the Vatican novels. 'Shoes of the Fisherman' might look a little different now we've actually had a Pope from behind the Iron Curtain.
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Marama - Shoes of the Fisherman would be an interesting read. I read it years ago and I wonder what I'd make of it now.
Would you be happy to lead?
Lathe of Heaven sounds a good choice too. Who fancies leading it. Andras/Brenda Clough?

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

I could do that later in the year, say July or (preferably) August
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks Marama.

Updated programme:
January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa - open now
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras just open
April - 'Precious Bane' by Mary Webb led by Marama
May - 'Home Fires' by Kamila Shamsie led by Trudy Scrumptious.
June - 'Lathe of Heaven' by Ursual LaGuin led by ?
July - ?
August - 'Shoes of the Fisherman' by Morris Webb led by Marama

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up before we abandon ship for the new vessel.
Any more suggestions?

Programme so far

pdated programme:

February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras -now open
April - 'Precious Bane' by Mary Webb led by Marama
May - 'Home Fires' by Kamila Shamsie led by Trudy Scrumptious.
June - 'Lathe of Heaven' by Ursual LaGuin led by ?
July - ?
August - 'Shoes of the Fisherman' by Morris Webb led by Marama

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I've copied this list over to a new Book Group thread on the new board, so it'll be there waiting for us.

--------------------
Books and things.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thank you Trudy Scrumptious - that's great. Can't wait to see the new look.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I've been missing for a while but am looking forward to starting March's thread for "I Capture the Castle." I've checked in this evening to find The Big Move is planned for tomorrow so I will need to register and get my head round it all tomorrow evening before starting the thread. Thank you in advance for your patience. [Smile]

--------------------

aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could try "CLOUD STREET" by Tim Winton. later in the year.

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016