homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Christmas Who

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas Who
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I loved that! Moffatt went out on a high note. Fantastic!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched it, and will need to watch it again because of various distractions, resulting in someone who would have preferred to be watching a soap getting weepy and complaining that they shouldn't have broadcast it at Christmas. Her father was gassed at the Somme, and died from later complications with his lungs. Her favourite cousin was shot by Italians in WWII. The war issue was still sore with her.
(That she is currently wondering about watching Dad's Army is irrelevant!)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the end was a technical KO. [Tear]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the reactions to the old blokes being sexist, strongly implying that sexism was a thing of the past or should be.

My hazy recollection is that these episodes tend to be a review of the departing Doctor's time on the telly and an attempt to give some overarching theme to that time. I didn't see much of that, I thought anyway. I am happy to be shown to be wrong.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was really excellent. Some really good messages in it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An otherwise excellent outing marred by the lack of an actual story...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
c'mon Doc. There was a story. It was just very basic, and there to hang stuff off. Kinda like a Christmas tree.

--------------------
Human

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, no real story although I'm not too bothered about that. It was good to see what happened to a character from a previous episode and I liked where the biggest database in time and space is.

Generally I find that I enjoy whatever they throw at us. Some episodes are better and I am delighted that other people find different ones better. But in all cases I can use my imagination and memories of other adventures (both old & new) to go down paths and ideas I hadn't done before.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really loved the portrayal of William Hartnell's Doctor. That really made this episode for me. The episode wasn't as self-indulgent as some of the 'actor leaving the role' ones, which was good, and I liked the Doctor's reaction to being regenerated as female. It'll be interesting to see how they take the character forwards.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
My hazy recollection is that these episodes tend to be a review of the departing Doctor's time on the telly and an attempt to give some overarching theme to that time. I didn't see much of that, I thought anyway. I am happy to be shown to be wrong.

I think this last season turned out to be about memories and reality. There have been various people who've existed as memories, such as Heather and the mother in Knock Knock. Sadly the cornerstone of the theme is the Monk trilogy (which was poor).

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

I think this last season turned out to be about memories and reality. There have been various people who've existed as memories, such as Heather and the mother in Knock Knock. Sadly the cornerstone of the theme is the Monk trilogy (which was poor).
Even more sadly, Heather, the mother and the Monk have left no traces in my memory at all.

Most of the episode I enjoyed, so much so that the lack of plot didn't bother me at the time. However I did get annoyed at the end at how long it took Capaldi to die - until I remembered Tennant, and all was forgiven.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Even more sadly, Heather, the mother and the Monk have left no traces in my memory at all.

so glad I am not alone

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
c'mon Doc. There was a story. It was just very basic, and there to hang stuff off. Kinda like a Christmas tree.

I like how you think. [Smile]

On Hartnell’s behalf, I’m gonna admit when 12 went into his “ fear me, I am the scourge of all worlds” routine, and Hartnell bellowed “WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?” I gave a little cheer.

[ 27. December 2017, 08:01: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmph.

So, it's taken me a little while to watch it, because I was reminding myself of this year's season first.

Not all of it, the episodes I'd kept for a second viewing.

And I'm not sure if it was great to be watching this only a couple of hours after the season's 2-part finale, because it turned out there was a lot I didn't like about the 2-part finale. All very important, but not enjoyable to watch.

So maybe that affected my mood for this one. Which I didn't actively dislike, but so much of it was just sort of... there. And fairly meh. The jokes about the 1st doctor (including sexism) were just way too obvious to actually be funny for me. I'm not much of a fan of Mark Gatiss so having him try to carry some emotional weight also didn't work. Capaldi's last speech on the battlefield kind of worked for me but that was about it.

The whole thing had an air of... yes, we know you've been killed (it was telegraphed all through the 2-part season finale, never mind that we know Capaldi is leaving the show), but you're behaving like one of those Shakespeare characters that gets a whole lot in before they ACTUALLY drop.

I dunno. I'm just feeling very unsatisfied. I saw Paddington 2 today and it was so much more entertaining than this.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am unsure how I feel about it. But let's start my analysis here:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The jokes about the 1st doctor (including sexism) were just way too obvious to actually be funny for me.

Having the 1st Doctor have old-fashioned sexism was obvious, but it also had been done back in classic Who in The Five Doctors, with Peter Davison's Doctor comically trying to run interference with Tegan.
So, was Moffat giving a nod and tribute to that portrayal with his jokes, or was he just being unoriginal?

Then I contemplate when Russell T. Davies left as Executive Producer. What happened then? Well, ummmm, we had a Doctor (Tennant) hold off regenerating for a ridiculously long time as he wandered around the Universe saying goodbye to ever being he ever met, followed by his regeneration causing the TARDIS to explode, leaving it to the new producer (Moffat) to pick up the story from there. And now we have the Moff's farewell: with a Doctor (Capaldi) holding off on regeneration for a ridiculously long time and, when he finally regenerates it causes the TARDIS to explode and he leaves it there for the new producer to pick up.

So, was Moffat giving a little tribute to RTD by mimicking the same concepts, or was it an in-joke, or was he just being unoriginal?

But then I come to the reveal of who Mark Gatiss' character was. And maybe that is the key: nostalgia. Moffat is saying goodbye to a show that he has spent many years writing and producing and, frankly, loving. Should any of us be surprised that he opted to wallow in nostalgia as his swan song: To bring back cameos of characters (in much the same way as RTD did); to use the 1st Doctor (and even show his regeneration, which somehow happened without blowing up all the equipment...); to give multiple other little nods to the show's history; and to end with yet another Capaldi monologue strewn with quotable lines (and, of course, spoken brilliantly by Capaldi).

So I think that's where I come down. The episode was awash in nostalgia, which seldom makes for a good story, but under the circumstances I think I can forgive Moffat for it. Was it a bit self-indulgent? Yes, but as far as I am concerned he earned the right to reflect nostalgically on the show he clearly loves.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the WW1 scene in the trenches at Xmas.

[ 27. December 2017, 17:54: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First time I've seen it for some years: it didn't impress I'm afraid. I won't be coming back
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it. The plot seemed to me like a long 'To be or not to be' for the Doctor, where you already know what the answer is and, as previously mentioned, the plot was largely there to hang nostalgia on. But hey.

I liked that Mark Gatiss got to say: 'It's bigger on the inside' because I like MG, and as a Dr Who fan I guess he loved being able to say that.
I really liked when the Germans started singing silent night and I realised exactly when they were. (And that my 12 yr-old got the reference).
Not sure if I like the reveal of the Captain's name or if it was a nostalgia step too far.
I'll go with the regeneration scene being an homage to RTD rather than running out of ideas.

What does niggle, is the cliff-hanger in the previous episode as to what happens to Nardole and the people he helped escape to a higher level, when the cybermen get that far?
Is it stuck in the same place as questions like where did Orson Pink come from, since Danny and Clara did not have children? Or the two years lost from Captain Jack's memories?

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Oh, Brilliant." and spoken in her own Huddersfield accent.

I can just see how how this will pan out when The Doctor next meets the Daleks."What the chuff are you doin'. Tha great tin wazzocks." Sounds about right.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I can just see how how this will pan out when The Doctor next meets the Daleks."What the chuff are you doin'. Tha great tin wazzocks." Sounds about right.

Aha! Didn't notice the accent. Fantastic!

--------------------
Human

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather liked it. OK, the plot was practically irrelevant, and I would imagine non-fans would be a bit confused by the whole thing. But I have a soft spot for the First Doctor, and David Bradley played him to perfection. Those odd pauses in the middle of sentences (because of Hartnell's ill health) were exactly right.

Loved the revelation of who the soldier was, and his confusion at the reference to 'World War One' was poignant. (I did want him to say of the Doctor 'Splendid chaps, both of them' - but maybe that would have been an in-joke too far.)

I'm rather glad we've seen the last of Bill, because I prefer my Doctor/companion relationships minus the UST. Although I might break my rule if Captain Jack Harkness ever appeared again. That would be fun.

Looking forward to Jodie, who I'm sure will be great. I just hope that not every story will revolve around the fact that the Doctor is now female...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Looking forward to Jodie, who I'm sure will be great. I just hope that not every story will revolve around the fact that the Doctor is now female...!

We'll have to trust that the new show-runner is smart enough to realize that. I did notice that, when Missy appeared, they did not obsess over the Master being female, although a few "sister" comments crept in when Missy was dealing with another female.

And I suppose it is inevitable that a few episodes will need to focus on the Doctor's female form--for example, if the Doctor travels back to 18th century England, she may find it more difficult than usual to get cooperation from the male authorities for no reason other than because they perceive her as female. Surely some stories are going to focus on that...and the Doctor finding a way to work around it.

But I agree. Those sort of stories need to be minimized (especially in her first season) and just let Jodie be the Doctor.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw it twice, bless the ABC. Got more out of it the second time. Capaldi got the isolation of being beyond time/space very well. And I thought David Bradley was terrific; I am so sick of him playing nasty old men with sadistic tendencies. Never got the point of Matt Lucas's character , so was somewhat surprised to see him appear. Great to see Jenna briefly again, but where were River and Captain Jack? Oh wait, am I getting my Doctors mixed up? I thought they had an ongoing memory within a changing body. Looking forward to the new series. In the meantime, my beloved Aunty ABC is showing two episodes a day at different times-and my mental agility is kept alert as they are varying the doctors. So far we have Tennant and Capaldi on at different times. It makes an old lady very happy.

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just saw it.

Really enjoyed it.

I loved the regeneration scene. Brilliant. Looks like we've got a great first episode.

The cinematography. Wow! Really well done. The WWI scenes particularly, and I loved the fact a real event was portrayed for the Christmas special, and a time of peace in an episode where the war doctor was mentioned so much.

Loved the first doctor. And seeing Bill and Clara took my breath away. I'll miss you Peter. Bring on Jodie!

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:

Aha! Didn't notice the accent. Fantastic!
Oh, please please please... [Yipee]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Doctors always hated their appearance, with Tennant it as the teeth. It was so refreshing for a new doctor's reaction to be positive, which is why I loved "Brilliant."

There has to be some mention of being female in the first episode, I hope it does not get in the way of the story.

Jodie had better brush up on her running, it's a requirement of the job. There's at least one meet alien-run-plan-return-win episode each series.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There has to be some mention of being female in the first episode, I hope it does not get in the way of the story.

There doesn't. There has to be when paths cross with someone who knows the Dr (Daleks, historical, Unit, Cybermen, Time Lords **), or if the Dr trades on his* reputation.
But if it starts out meeting a future companion, and then the problem is solved by the Dr just being a genius and paying attention. Then you could have an episode where everyone just assumes that she's everything a Dr should be without having to tell. (I bet they don't, and I hope it doesn't get in the way), but just in case they are reading...

*it started out by accident.
**at least one of these can subvert it.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I think the thing about being a woman will be a doddle to keep out of the way for most viewers, but an impossibility for some. The second type of viewer will have their phone at the ready, tweeting their outrage.

As for working on your running style, if they cast me as the Doctor everyone would be reminded of Mr Gatis' former dancing troupe, "Legs Akimbo".

--------------------
Human

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016