homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Heaven Scent(s)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven Scent(s)
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad (retired vicar) preached at his church last weekend, and was talking about his first experience of incense, during ordination training. One fellow ordinand complained about the smell, and their rather acerbic lecturer responded "My boy, there are only two smells in the afterlife: incense or brimstone. So you had better get used to one of them!"

So - what would your particular little corner of Heaven smell like?

I'm assuming there will be freshly baked bread in mine. Which will, of course, feed us now and evermore.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incense during the services (I don't believe it will be 24-7 "Alleluia!")

Jasmine the rest of the time (which will be the perfect contrast with the cool, hard sapphire floor)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I like the idea of service time and play time.

Petrichor, the smell of rain on dry earth after warm weather. I love it.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee 💕

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The smell of a mild breeze blowing across flowering heather moorland
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A summer garden tomato warm from the sun.
Vanilla
Pasta sauce bubbling on the stove with a lot of garlic.
A wood fire.
A young puppy.
And the list goes on, but I will stop now.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bread and coffee, cooking over a wood stove.

Fresh tarmac anyone?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As everything is perfect in Heaven, I'm assuming that there will be no allergies, so we can have all sorts of nice pongs, available on demand.

Freshly-baked bread (obviously)

Lamb-shanks cooking in the slow-cooker

That undefinable, garlicky, slightly smoky aroma of an Italian ristorante in the days when people still smoked*

The smell of the dressing-rooms in the Arts Theatre in Orkney in the 1970s and 80s - a mixture of grease-paint, fusty costumes and cigarette smoke*

Freshly-run-off copies from a Banda spirit duplicator [Biased]

Beautiful by Estee Lauder (which I wore on my wedding-day)

Wild Musk by Coty (which I still wear [Hot and Hormonal] )

That Jean-Paul Gaultier scent in a bottle shaped like a woman

* Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that people should start smoking again - it's just that smoke was part of what made up those particular smells, which are evocative of fondly-remembered bits of my youth.

If I get even a whiff of Youth Dew, I'll know I've landed in The Other Place. [Eek!]

[ 12. January 2018, 22:52: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems odd to select a corporeal sensation for the afterlife, but I'll play along:

- a hay field in spring/summer after a cool rain
- any citrus, especially grapefruit or lime
- a riesling, especially Rheingau Spatlese or Auslese
- a good restaurant (and the attendant hushed sound of tinkling glasses, cutlery on plates, pleasant conversation)
- my lover's freshly perspiring body

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cinnamon. Lavender. The scent of clean baby.

There are more, but that's a good start.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The scent on the wind of a field where sweetgrass has just been mowed.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The scent in the air on the first day that feels like spring.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caraway seeds smell delightful.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyday in heaven you would wake to the smell of coffee and cooking bacon.

Outside is constant petrichor.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to meet my grandfather again, and find him still smelling of outdoorsy tweed, whisky and St Bruno pipe tobacco. And my grandmother smelling of Avon Lily of the Valley.

Here on earth I love the old paper smell of archives, but in Heaven I expect to have no need of archives as there will be Perfect Knowledge.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not? I like the sound of an archive of perfect knowledge.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lilacs in bloom.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The salty smell of a freshly opened oyster.
The smell of sandalwood.
The high country smell of spruce trees in the mountains with glacial streams humidifying the air.
Vicks Vaporub.

// I'm starting to think of this as a " scent poem". This is perhaps my first verse. I expect an eternity of verses to excite the soul. Angels dancing on invisble clouds of vapour.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven’s scents for me would include honeysuckle, the smell of washing dried on the line and the glorious aroma of a new baby’s head.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandalwood - yes.

Also the smell of really good secondhand books.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That garage-y smell of rubber, oil and a bit of petrol or diesel. There's a version of this which inspires the feeling that all is well and
the thing is going to work - and a version (perhaps involving a little more burnt oil, and partially-burnt petrol) which suggests it probably isn't.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Here on earth I love the old paper smell of archives, but in Heaven I expect to have no need of archives as there will be Perfect Knowledge.

After years working with archives I no longer notice this, unless they're damp (which is not a good smell), so I genuinely have no idea if this is one I'd appreciate or not!

Freshly baked cake
Cooking with garlic, herbs and wine
Clinique Happy
Citrus fruit
Roses
Rosemary
Coffee
Freshly cut grass (which will no longer give me hayfever!)

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sea breeze.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horses.
Leather saddles and bridles.
A stream in the woods.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A warm beach
Chanel No 5
Woodsmoke

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The smell of NZ bush, in particular the black beech tree - Tawairauriki - and the honeydew associated with it.

The musky smell of Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy after she has been caught in the rain.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016