homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » I hate eggnogg (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I hate eggnogg
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a stupid drink. Comes out every year at Xmas. Sprinkly spices on snought-consistecy foul tasting overly sweet and not improved by rum. Had me the rum and paint a fence with the snought.

And Do You Hear What I hear? Yes! The sound of the The Little Drummer Boy being eaten by wolves.

What do you hate about Xmas?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried Egg Nog Latte? The warm milk dilutes the taste a tad bit.

Never could understand the appeal of mulled wine, though, anyone willing to defend it?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you Posting While Drunk, np? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't like gin. Nor liqueurs. And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

You know what? No one forces me to drink what I don't like, and there are plenty of good drinks I can have instead.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

I think he's posting at breakfast time, so he might well be hungover.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presents.

Ever since turning 20 I’ve found presents disappointing.

I really enjoy giving them but would prefer to receive none.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Well, I don't like gin. Nor liqueurs. And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

You know what? No one forces me to drink what I don't like, and there are plenty of good drinks I can have instead.

Amen on all counts.

I do enjoy good eggnog - and dark fruitcake. To each her own.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I don't like gin. Nor liqueurs.

Most are of the devil. A good chocolate liqueur being the exception.
quote:

And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

Find me a good one and I might agree. Bourbon is the only whisky worth drinking.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Bourbon is the only whisky worth drinking.

I think you'll find that's a whiskey. A completely different thing.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas"; Burl Ives' "Have A Holly Jolly Christmas"; any Christmas carol sung by a Country & Western singer; anything by John Rutter sung by anybody.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas"; Burl Ives' "Have A Holly Jolly Christmas"; any Christmas carol sung by a Country & Western singer; anything by John Rutter sung by anybody.

Rutter did write a couple of worthwhile things (whose titles escape me at the moment). They make his plastic commercial output all the more annoying, because they prove that he has the talent to do much better.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm, eggnog. Rich vanilla creamy blend with extra richness added through egg and lovely nutmeg on top. I can do without the rum part but could turn up a quart carton of the cold dairy product.

I have plenty of other Christmas stuff to hate, though. Like Boogie, presents are usually things that require my best acting skills, only for me my disappointment began when I was about thirteen and all I got from my fairly well-to do parents was a plastic box of bobby pins and a hairbrush. Very grudging gifters they were, but they prepared me for my husband who once gave me a candy bar nestled in a brown paper bag. He had picked it up at the gas station on the way home.

It's all the "bring a dish," parties that I really hate. Sometimes I volunteer to have the party at my house and prepare the whole meal, rather than figure out what to take that others wont bring and how to transport it so that it's either hot or cold upon arrival.

Today I went to my book club party carrying a large heavy platter of carefully arranged fruit, a gift for exchange purposes, another gift for a special friend I would be seeing there, my own beverage, and my purse -- all in my left hand because my right one has my cane. I made three trips and my left arm is still sore.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

One of the things I hate is how people decide that they can't just avoid the particular Christmas thing that they dislike, they have to start completely inane conversations about it.

And it happens every fucking year.

[ 16. December 2017, 20:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's because Christmas comes around every year.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it's because people's reactions to Christmas are so utterly predictable.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Or illiterate. Snot. Consistency.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I always sensed that there was something about you that I loved. Now I know what it is. I'm always excited for Christmas because Santa always brings me a bottle of Blanton's. Can't wait!!

I was going to say that there was nothing about Christmas I hated, but on further review it is true that I hate, loathe and despise hearing multiple playings of "The Date Rape Song" (a/k/a "Baby, It's Cold Outside").

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is my classic eggnog recipe. It is utterly pure and totally high-calorie, best suited for large groups. Drink it all yourself and your cardiologist is going to have a sharp word with you.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

One of the things I hate is how people decide that they can't just avoid the particular Christmas thing that they dislike, they have to start completely inane conversations about it.

And it happens every fucking year.

Exactly, it's tradition, must happen each year, every much as as Baby Jesus under the tree Christmas morning, the Magi getting presents from Santa, and the shepherds washing their socks.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And don't forget that Christmas is a time for children - a tradition started by Herod.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hedgehog:
quote:
I was going to say that there was nothing about Christmas I hated, but on further review it is true that I hate, loathe and despise hearing multiple playings of "The Date Rape Song" (a/k/a "Baby, It's Cold Outside").
Ditto. And the gold digger song, "Santa Baby".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearing "Winter Wonderland" over the public address system in the supermarket when it's 30c outside.

Actually that song is so awful I'd probably hate it even if it was snowing outside.

Huia [Mad]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With you Huia: any Christmas song that mentions it being cold and snowy. It's 25 C here today and I've just walked up the hill to home - the only cold thing I want is out of the fridge.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Never could understand the appeal of mulled wine, though, anyone willing to defend it?

Mulled wine is delicious and wonderful. Eggnog is horrid.

quote:

[Overused]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Here is my classic eggnog recipe. It is utterly pure and totally high-calorie, best suited for large groups. Drink it all yourself and your cardiologist is going to have a sharp word with you.

Thank you, Brenda. I need to figure out some smaller proportions, though.

Eggnog and mulled wine are both delicious and worthy of consumption, so far as I am concerned.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here is my classic eggnog recipe.

Words fail me. I didn't even bookmark it, because there's almost no chance I'll ever make it, but just reading the recipe makes me feel a bit lightheaded. I did appreciate the dwarf line.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas.

I have no beef with Ms Carey particularly, but it seems to me that shops somehow sync themselves so you get to hear it in every shop you walk into.

With Huia and Arabella on the winter-themed songs...but I'll give In the Bleak Midwinter a pass.

Props to the local Garden Centre for playing choir-sung Christmas carols yesterday. Yes, I know it's Advent: but that's for a different board.

Ian,
lover of mulled-wine: so much so my current picture of myself at work in Outlook is a picture of glasses with mulled wine [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think you'll find that's a whiskey. A completely different thing.
My thoughts exactly, Alan. [Overused]

If I'm honest, the only thing I really don't like about Christmas is the schmaltzy American Christmas music (usually sung by Bing Crosby and/or the Hollywood Celestial Chorus) from which you can't escape when you're doing your Christmas shopping. I don't mind the odd Christmas pop song*, but like television, newspapers and bacon, it's something that IMHO is done better by the Brits.**

* Do they know it's Christmas?, Mull of Kintyre and Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody are my guilty pleasures. Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

** with the exception of There's No-one Quite like Grandma. [Projectile]

[ 17. December 2017, 03:06: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

Or who drown it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't drink bourbon anymore as one of my first binge-drinking experiences involved Southern Comfort. I'd love to be able to drink Wild Turkey, just for the Hunter S. Thompson associations, but I couldn't the last time I tried.

Whiskey I love. My favorite at present is Laphroaig, but I'm easy. My Dad loved Chivas Regal, a blended whiskey. My brother and I used to buy him bottles at every occasion. We thought he would drink them rather quickly but when he died Mum found quite a number in various spots around the house, unopened. We figure he put them down and forgot he had them - dementia you see. So our whiskey drinking has a special remembrance about it, at least when we crack a bottle of Chivas.

Christmas? Meh. Just the day before the Boxing Day Test and the Sydney to Hobart start.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here is my classic eggnog recipe.

I remember helping to make eggnogg from scratch using a recipe very much like that, except that there must have been at least an extra bottle or two of booze in it (in addition to what the person in charge consumed in the process). It certainly wasn't the cardiologist who was going to be most concerned. My job was whipping the egg whites and then mixing it all together: I should have received hazard pay, as the fumes were quite potent and the froth on top was volatile.
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The sad part is that many people think that eggnog is this store bought concoction of skim milk, gum thickener and artifical alcohol flavoring loaded with corn syrup. A proper recipe, as given above, provides a delicious drink which allows cream to be the major flavoring. (And it should not need vanilla).
THe sugar and alcohol keep the egg from going nad.

This is a drink that I've brought into the office beffore. The main thing is that people can only have small portions. Even hardened alcoholics aren't used to large portions of cream

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no horror like the Christmas Shoes song.

A lot of Christmas music involves songs being butchered by contemporary artists. I remember attending a concert by the Canadian Tenors in which they thought it was a good idea to modernize Schubert's "Ave Maria". I still shudder from the memory.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TV adverts that say the price is "just" or "only"
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

I have no beef with Ms Carey particularly, but it seems to me that shops somehow sync themselves so you get to hear it in every shop you walk into.

Which is quite daft, if you think about it. "I don't want a lot for Christmas .... All I want for Christmas is you", so nothing those shops are selling ...

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Whiskey I love. My favorite at present is Laphroaig

Though, Laphroaig is a whisky.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

Which is quite daft, if you think about it. "I don't want a lot for Christmas .... All I want for Christmas is you", so nothing those shops are selling ...
See, one has to ask the salesperson, "Is there any You in the back that hasn't been put on the shelves yet?"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Whiskey I love. My favorite at present is Laphroaig

Though, Laphroaig is a whisky.
Quit being pedantic and just give me the fuggin' drink, hic..

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
See, one has to ask the salesperson, "Is there any You in the back that hasn't been put on the shelves yet?"

And the salesperson comes back with something like this. (So many Christmas songs are about lambs, sheep, shepherds...)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Santa hat on

You're all too fluffy for Hell, so we're sending you to Heaven where you belong.

DT
HH

Hostly Santa hat off

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't drink bourbon anymore as one of my first binge-drinking experiences involved Southern Comfort.

Not trying to be pedantic, but Southern Comfort is not a bourbon.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’d say that’s less pedantic than quibbling about e’s.

Has the Elf on the Shelf gone international yet? My wife heard that it’s fun, so we got one this year. It’s a elf doll that is supposed to be watching your kids and reporting back to Santa. Because he flies back to Santa every night, he has to be in a new hiding spot every morning, and it’s supposed to be fun for the kids to find him. Oh, and the kids can’t touch him or his magic goes away.

So far, the three year old hasn’t gotten that into it, beyond a little amazement when she first spots him in the morning. It’d probably be more fun if she had a sibling to argue with every morning over who found him first.

I don’t hate it per se, it’s just one more thing that I have to do after she goes to bed and before I can go to bed. Plus I flat out refuse to point at the elf if the kid is being a pain. And I’m dreading making up an explanation for why the magic didn’t really go away when she inevitably touches the fun doll that she’s not supposed to touch.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Southern Comfort, whatever it is, is something even the devil pees out. PS - Eggnog makes me sick, as I was vividly reminded 15 days ago.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not surprising, since you don't like the divine nectar that the gods have dubbed Southern Comfort.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:

The sad part is that many people think that eggnog is this store bought concoction of skim milk, gum thickener and artifical alcohol flavoring loaded with corn syrup. A proper recipe, as given above, provides a delicious drink which allows cream to be the major flavoring. (And it should not need vanilla).
THe sugar and alcohol keep the egg from going nad.

This is a drink that I've brought into the office beffore. The main thing is that people can only have small portions. Even hardened alcoholics aren't used to large portions of cream

Yes, that's why I cited it. If you taste this you will never drink the horrid chemical-y store stuff ever again.
The nutritional quality of real eggnog (milk, cream, eggs) made it a popular drink for workers. Laura Ingalls Wilder recalls in her children's novel Farmer Boy that the harvesters got a bucketful of eggnog, no liquor added of course, morning and afternoon. They probably needed the calorie boost to do all the physical labor.
The addition of liquor seems to be a more modern twist, and entirely admirable IMO.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hang on, this stuff is basically raw eggs in milk. I mean, stick it in a pastry case and cook it for goodness sake, but you drink it raw?

What is wrong with you people? [Projectile] [Projectile]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda Clough posted.
quote:
They probably needed the calorie boost to do all the physical labor.
Growing up in DC with Southern Mommy this is what we were
feed if sick. I remember liking it . Much better then the milk toast she also dished up to sick children.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like whisky, especially the nice peaty Island Malts and Irish - and yes, I know that's spelt differently - but don't drink it that often. But I don't even like diluting it with water. It should be drunk slowly, in small sips, and savoured.

Neither Bourbon nor Eggnog are much of a thing round here. Indeed, I've only drunk Bourbon once.

Mulled wine depends a bit on the recipe but in general I like it a lot. Cider also mulls well, and fifty years ago people used to warm beer by briefly plunging a hot poker into it. You have to be careful to make sure the poker doesn't touch the glass. I haven't seen it done for years.

A Christmas oddity here which some people like and some don't, though, is Ginger Wine. I rather like it. I also really like Baileys, but quite a lot of people don't.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, that's why I cited it. If you taste this you will never drink the horrid chemical-y store stuff ever again.

I’m not sure I’ve ever had store-bought eggnog, because I know better than to buy it. I’ve had to drink homemade eggnog in order to be polite too many times. We have a good friend who gives us a bottle of homemade eggnog every year. My wife, who shares my feelings about eggnog, and I pray that someone who likes eggnog will come for a visit so that we don’t have to pour the whole thing down the drain. Hasn’t happened yet; down the drain it has all gone. Because that’s preferable to actually drinking it.

[Projectile]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Apparently the best scotch in the world is Japanese. Link.

Japanese Christmas oranges are from China these days. And Christmas trees are plastic and Boney M sings to little Jesus.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016