homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Comedy Appreciation

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Comedy Appreciation
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the place to post funny stuff, or to make recommendations about stuff people might like. This might be a TV show, a clip, a film, or maybe even a cartoon in a thing formerly known as a newspaper. It can be any sort of comedy, from a comedy of manners, political satire, absurdist comedy, plays on words or even jokes about bodily functions. It could even be one of those shows that makes funnies by making you cringe.

There is some stuff that you might find funny but that others find offensive. You can post that. But remember to comply with the Ship's rules and please give a warning about the nature of the post. See the thread on Blackface in Purg for a good example of how different people react to the same thing. Another might be Benny Hill, or Alf Garnett and his American counterpart, whose name escapes me.

Please don't post more than three links in a post. Be nice to your hosts. Also, please identify what you are posting in your post. Many things are geoblocked in other countries, especially stuff I like to post. [geoblock rant deleted]

The show I would like to recommend is Man Down by Greg Davies. This English sitcom follows the life of Greg and his three mates as they go about their business. Greg is a man-child, a natural at teaching kids drama but preoccupied with all the things man-children are preoccupied with. He lives in a flat attached to his parents' house and is tortured by his father (Rik Mayall) on a daily basis. The Christmas Special is so funny that I had to stop watching after 15 minutes so I could calm down. It contains all the usual suspects: Mr Potty-mouth, Mme Intercourse and of course Miss Bodily Emissions. There's also a bit of workplace sexual harassment. All in good fun.

Oh dear. Late for work. Too much fun. Find Man Down on Youtube or Netflicks in Australia.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find some visual comedy a distraction and some downright un-funny - Norman Wisdom and Jerry Lewis spring to mind.

My preference is for radio comedy and I'm sorry I haven't a clue on BBC Radio 4 can be relied upon for a mixture of the absurd, the amusingly smutty and the OMG moments that make you stop the car.

The Uxbridge English Dictionary and One song to the tune of another are my particular favourites. Any other shippies out there remember Graeme Garden's splendid rendition of Killing me softly to the tune of Offenbach's Can-Can from Orpheus in the Underworld?

I'm not sure if the show travels particularly well?

[ 21. February 2018, 09:39: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of radio comedy BBC Radio 4Extra plays hours of this. Some is vintage stuff from just post-war, right through to the present day. The contrast between "The Men From the Ministry", a civil service comedy from the late sixties and early seventies, to "Yes Minister", less than ten years later is astonishing. The former, like most from the sixties apart from "Round the Horne" and "Beyond our Ken" is so dated!

Things do get repeated pretty regularly, so if you miss something it'll be round again later that day or in a few months time anyway.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just had a Doc Martin fest, watching the 8th series in a marathon weekend. Very funny.

I also hear plenty of Radio 4, with Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Hlue. The memorable moment for me was the keep singing when the recording is turned down, and try to be in synch when the volume is turned up again. The entire audience joined in with "Delilah."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to listen to Car Talk and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me Saturday mornings on NPR. Car Talk is all reruns since Tommy died. But they're still funny, even talking about older cars!

Wait, Wait is a game show? commentary? spoof? on the week's news, and invariably hilarious!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have long been a fan of Michael Feldman's Whadyaknow. It was a two-hour radio show out of Wisconsin and was ostensibly a quiz show, with jazz music and interviews. Often the highlight is just Feldman going around the audience and talking to people (or opening up "the hot line" and talking to folks on the phone). These are clearly unscripted and rely a lot on Feldman's wit, rather like Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life."

For example, on one show the talk had turned to human body parts that seem to serve no purpose. Like, wisdom teeth: we get them just to pull them out. Feldman asked what people thought would be the next body part we would lose to evolution. A man suggested the little toe. A woman insisted that she had heard that the pinky finger was going to be lost. She then said "but if that happens, how will we play the guitar?" Without missing a beat, Feldman replied "Don't fret." (Only to receive groans from the crowd)

The radio show started in 1985 and its radio incarnation ended in 2016 (although it still exists as a podcast). However, the reason I am posting all of this is that, this week, I discovered (to my delight) that they have begun to set up an online archive of old shows. Feldman usually starts the show with mock news headlines based on then-topical events, so listening to the old shows is rather like a mini trip through history. He started the show during the Reagan years. I am sure I will frequently drop in to the archive and re-listen to these shows.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
herrmann
Apprentice
# 4576

- Posted      Profile for herrmann   Email herrmann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The American Alf Garnett was Archie Bunker and the series was called All in the Family - I think.

--------------------
herrmann

Posts: 7 | From: South of England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by herrmann:
The American Alf Garnett was Archie Bunker and the series was called All in the Family - I think.

Yes, indeed. And the son-in-law was played by Rob Reiner, the famous Hollywood film director.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it was before my time, I would still heartily recommend listing to the Goon Show. When I was a kid, I used to listen to the repeats on the Radio (the Beeb used to air them all through the 60's).

You can still find them, of course, on Radio 4Extra: Goon Show episodes

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The incomparable James Young who made Catholics and Protestants laugh at each other and with each other through the Ulster troubles.

Some of the vernacular a bit dated, perhaps. And terms for Catholics could equally have been used abusively by some.

Believe it or not this is very funny stuff to a Belfastian!

Wire in! Have a geg!

This is becoming a favourite for me. More broad and up to date humour.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comedy has to be radio for me and preferably from a few decades ago. My top BBC radio picks are:

Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy. The greatest show ever. Just is.

The Day Today. Chris Morris in splendidly satirical form.

The Mary Whitehouse Experience. Classic indie comedy with so many catchphrases. Milky milky!

The Mark Steel Lectures. Informative and hilarious but maybe a bit left wing for some.

Old Harry's Game. A cosy sitcom set in hell, genius!

Think the Unthinkable. A cosy sitcom set in the hell of a management consultancy.

Rigor Mortis. A cosy sitcom set in a morgue.

And many, many more. I love radio comedy.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our house we’ve been enjoying “ Baroness von Sketch,” a Canadian comedy being shown on IFC in the States. It’s sketch comedy geared toward women, and at times it’s hysterically funny.

We also love “Baskets” on FX. Zac Gafakanakis ( sp?) plays Chip, and a lost soul who wants nothing more than to be a professional classical clown, was trained in France, and came home to dusty Bakersfield, CA, living with his eccentric mother Christine ( Louie Anderson, who steals the show) and his shady, entrepreneurial ne’er- do- well brother Dale ( also played by ZG). Mom comes into some money and buys a defunct rodeo, which she hopes will become a way for both Chip and Dale to find themselves. The show is much funnier and more clever than the premise. One of my favorite regulars is sad sack Martha, Chip’s former girlfriend and family hanger- on, whose arm has been in a cast for three seasons now - no explanation; every so often the color of the cast changes.

[ 22. February 2018, 01:11: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great stuff. Wait Wait is now on my phone for driving pleasure!

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

"Great stuff" reminds me of the well-known and loved Father Ted, the BBC Comedy set inside an Irish Parochial House. Here's a clip of him and Fr Dougal at bedtime.

--------------------
Human

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I met my man, he introduced me to a comedy series which has almost taken over our lives, we both quote from it so often. I hadn't heard of it before, but I am now completely hooked on Seinfeld

It's a comedy about a group of four friends and mostly centres around the interaction between the characters. It occasionally merits a 15 rating, once or twice even tipping an 18, but it's gentle and funny and mostly suggestive rather than obscene. (I managed to watch it with my 20-year-old son without too many blushes). I love it.

[ 22. February 2018, 11:44: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (H2G2) which was better on radio. The books are not bad, as you have to visualise it yourself. As for the TV version, OK ish but nowhere near as good, and the film was flogging the proverbial perrished pony.

My humour has gone over to the dark side in the last 12 years. I did not apreciate The League Of Gentlemen when it first came out, but now find it hilarious, as I do Inside No. 9.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," fan, but my favorite NPR show is the Saturday at two, "Moth Radio Hour," where people tell stories about their lives, sometimes sad, but often hilarious.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I'm another "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," fan, but my favorite NPR show is the Saturday at two, "Moth Radio Hour," where people tell stories about their lives, sometimes sad, but often hilarious.

We get the "Moth Radio Hour" on BBC 4Extra too! Not every week, but it's well worth a listen.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for radio comedy here. All radio 4 for me old and new.
I love I'm Sorry I Haven't a clue, the News Quiz, the Now show. Bridget Christie is jolly good too, and John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme is great. Speaking of Finnemore, one of my favourite ever radio comedies is Cabin Pressure. I treated myself to the whole lot on CD box set a while ago and listen to it over and over in the car. Even the kids have heard it so much that phrases from it have worked their way into family sayings.

I loved the Mary Whitehouse Experience too. It felt terribly naughty when it appeared on the telly. I must have been about 15, and fell madly in love with Rob Newman, as did more or less all the other girls in my class.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Double posting (apologies) because I forgot David Sedaris. Discovered him on radio 4 and have now been to see him live a couple of times. A bit dark, a bit weird, and very, very funny.
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
Comedy has to be radio for me

This reminds me of something I heard on the radio when I was driving into Denver, CO. There is (was? it was 2014) a station that plays comedy bits, presumably from albums or just the audio from TV specials or something. There was one bit that cracked me up and still does - but I don't know whose bit it was, and Google is no help.

It was a man, and he was complaining about ordering food in a restaurant and having a hard time getting a waitress to tell him what's normally put on a sandwich. Apparently, she thought there was so much, it would be easier (she told him) to just tell her what he doesn't want on his sandwich.

That's a long list, he pointed out. There are SO many things in the world he wouldn't want on a sandwich. "My grandmother's eyeballs, for example. I don't want my grandmother's eyeballs on my sandwich!"

OK, I certainly can't do it justice here. But you'd think googling "grandmother's eyeballs" would turn it up, especially since it was being played from a recording on a radio station!

Anyone have an idea?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My enjoyment of ISIHAC was enhanced by 18 months or so working with someone called Samantha, who had a tendency to snigger.

Mind you I nearly didn't last long enough to - I nearly drove off the road listening to this.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
When I met my man, he introduced me to a comedy series which has almost taken over our lives, we both quote from it so often. I hadn't heard of it before, but I am now completely hooked on Seinfeld

It's a comedy about a group of four friends and mostly centres around the interaction between the characters. It occasionally merits a 15 rating, once or twice even tipping an 18, but it's gentle and funny and mostly suggestive rather than obscene. (I managed to watch it with my 20-year-old son without too many blushes). I love it.

I too love Seinfeld, and I understand that the young have discovered it as a comedy classic. I was highly amused to overhear two university students on a train acting out scenes.

Here's a good bit with Kramer and the Costanzas.
Kramer playing Pool

--------------------
Human

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
I love I'm Sorry I Haven't a clue, the News Quiz, the Now show. Bridget Christie is jolly good too, and John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme is great. Speaking of Finnemore, one of my favourite ever radio comedies is Cabin Pressure. I treated myself to the whole lot on CD box set a while ago and listen to it over and over in the car. Even the kids have heard it so much that phrases from it have worked their way into family sayings.

Definitely John Finnemore! He is a true genius, may he never work on or for the dreaded idiot's lantern. We too have the complete Cabin Pressure, including the finale.

Anyone for "Yellow Car"?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed - good comedy is mostly radio. Anyone for the Leopard in Autumn?
Altho' on TV, admit to loving Dinnerladies, Surgical Spirit, Waiting for God - which dates me, I suppose.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tour guide was less than amused when I referred to the country of Montenegro as Monte Guano by accident a couple of years ago. Obviously The Leopard in Autumn has yet to reach an international audience.

In a similar vein, I rather enjoyed The Castle.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting you mention Surgical Spirit, Fredegund. Macarius & I both loved it when it was on originally. Then we bought the boxed set last year - and they barely raised a smile.

We've noticed that with other comedy. Men Behaving Badly was wonderful at first. Then some years back we watched the videos (yes! Videos!) and it wasn't funny. Then just over the last few weeks, they've been repeated on telly, and they're really funny again.

Perhaps it's like clothes, where ten- year old fashions look more dated than twenty-year old fashions.

We're re-watching Yes, Minister at the moment. Magic.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. Odd, isn't it? I won't get the set then. Must admit, I've avoided Yes Minister for the same reason.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Radio4 is a comedy gem! Just a minute uplifts me when I’m feeling very flat & blah. ISIHAC is delightful gibberish & HGTTG has aged respectfully.
So many BBC comedies started out on radio. Flight Of The Conchords was on radio 2 IIFC.

I’ve been working my way through Seinfeld on AmazonPrime but it’s hardly work. Super easy to watch & very natural comedy.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ivor Cutler has me in stitches, though I admit that my sense of humour is probably a bit weird.

--------------------
plug plug

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up with The Navy Lark, which was on after Forces Family Favourites on a Sunday. During my college years, I was introduced to The Goons and Flanders and Swann by Darllenwr, and a Catholic friend introduced us to Tom Lehrer by playing Vatican Rag!
A friend of Darllenwr tried to rile him by lending him Old Harry's game, and was taken aback when he loved it. Unfortunately, one of or local priests is a Father Gary, who I can't take seriously as Satan's most venomous demon is...GARY!
For TV comedy, you can't beat Morecambe and Wise's version of The Stripper.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jrw:
Ivor Cutler has me in stitches, though I admit that my sense of humour is probably a bit weird.

One of my choices too!

There were three people who had a way with words (each very different) who always bring a smile for me. The other two being Viv Stanshall and Stanley Unwin.

If you are too old to remember Stanley try this - Bill Wyman tenders his resignation.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too used to love the Navy Lark. I grew up in London and a group of us from school used to go to the radio theatre most weeks to see it being recorded. I was surprised at first that, though it was radio, they still did all the actions as if people at home could see it!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen quite a few of the more recent shows recorded and whether there are actions in the studio depends. John Finnemore really has a glass of wine and sits in a comfy chair for his rambling tales in his Souvenir Programmes (which is about to tour) at the Radio Theatre, not at the Shaw Theatre. There is a dining table brought on in front of the panel table for ISIHAC for those jokes. Old Harry's Game* just had a row of microphones (as they do for the Now Show and most other radio comedy) which the actors stand up to when they are playing a part. Bridget Christie and Susan Calman stand and talk with additional support when required. The studio version of Hitchhiker's a few years back had some actions, and the sound production on stage.

Another current show I love is Tom Wrigglesworth's Hang Ups.

* I was in the audience for the Olympic specials of Old Harry's Game in 2012. The biggest laugh was on a retake following a long debate between Andy Hamilton and Jimmy Mulville as to the best word to use.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Jimmy Mulville still going? He was in Chelmsford 123, wasn't he? Another sitcom I loved.

M.

[ 25. February 2018, 06:16: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also remember Jimmy Mulville from Week Ending along with David Jason and Sheila Steafal, but from the Wiki page he may have been producing. I thought it was Alan Nixon producing the episodes I saw. Jimmy Mulville is mostly a producer now, one of the founder members of Hat Trick, he produced Alas Smith and Jones

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
He was in Chelmsford 123, wasn't he? Another sitcom I loved.

When I got into iron age reenactment my replica "Dopey the Frog" military jockstrap was always a source of much amusement.A

In a similar vein I submit Acropolis Now by Lynne Truss. A great cast and lots of easy classical gags. I can't read anything by (possibly) Socrates without hearing Robert Hardy's voice.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Is Jimmy Mulville still going? He was in Chelmsford 123, wasn't he? Another sitcom I loved.

M.

Me too. Hardly anyone remembers it. The first episode had some of the most accurately pronounced Classical Latin I've heard on telly. I loved it when they subtitled 'testiculos' as 'balderdash'

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

He played the part of Thomas Quentin Crimp in Radio 4's 'Old Harry's Game', a comedy about Satan written by and starring Andy Hamilton. The show ended in 2012.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:

Definitely John Finnemore! He is a true genius, may he never work on or for the dreaded idiot's lantern. We too have the complete Cabin Pressure, including the finale.

Anyone for "Yellow Car"?

Absolutely. He was helped by a superb cast as well. The 2-part finale 'Zurich' is probably the best ending to a series ever.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Me too. Hardly anyone remembers it. The first episode had some of the most accurately pronounced Classical Latin I've heard on telly. I loved it when they subtitled 'testiculos' as 'balderdash'

I'm sure there are plenty of people who claim to, and doubtless they all disagree and publish articles about it in obscure magazines that nobody reads, but does anyone really know how Classical Latin was "accurately pronounced"?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who claim to, and doubtless they all disagree and publish articles about it in obscure magazines that nobody reads, but does anyone really know how Classical Latin was "accurately pronounced"?
No, actually there's quite a consensus. There's not really room to go into detail about the science of reconstruction by comparative linguistics, but within certain bounds of uncertainty we have a pretty good idea, for example, that Caesar said "wehnee, weedee, weekee" and not "vaynee, veedee, veechee". And that he called himself "kigh-sar". There would be arguments in journals about exactly when the consonantal 'u' started to become a bilabial fricative, but it's Classical sound is not in dispute. The fine details of the phonology, no, of course not.

[ 25. February 2018, 21:37: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

If I remember correctly he went into to production (Hat Trick?), making Have I Got News For You, Drop the Dead Donkey (in my top 10 sitcoms) and other stuff.

Did anyone watch Who Dares Wins with the Chelmsford 123 cast? Mostly what I remember is being too young to watch it.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

His most recent credit as executive producer was for the excellent Derry Girls.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
For TV comedy, you can't beat Morecambe and Wise's version of The Stripper.

I respectfully beg to differ. As wonderful as that is, I think it is beaten by Eric and Ernie's encounter with Andre Previn (Mr Preview). Wonderfully funny with some immaculate timing, especially by Mr Preview, who, I am led to believe, didn't have the chance to rehearse the sketch before hand but just threw himself into it.

quote:
"You're playing all the wrong notes."

"I am playing all the RIGHT notes - but not necessarily in the right order."

Full sketch

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016