homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ship speculation (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship speculation
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a place for light hearted speculation about our imminent (ish) New Vessel.

[Smile]

I wonder if Captain Simon will keep his sinking ship avatar.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just thinking about his avatar -- the only animated avatar on the Ship. I love it -- but I am SO grateful that no one else is allowed to have animated, flashing, bouncing avatars.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the hosts could have ship related avatars. A lifeboat for All Saints, or Grace Darling, or Air-Sea rescue vessels...

And Hell? Skull and crossbones, natch. [Two face]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I was just thinking about his avatar -- the only animated avatar on the Ship. I love it -- but I am SO grateful that no one else is allowed to have animated, flashing, bouncing avatars.

RooK has had a flashing maple leaf in one of the Hosts and Admins days/weeks, and way back Jonah the Whales avatar used to blink. I cant remember any more.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Perhaps the hosts could have ship related avatars ...

Er, sort of no. I'm very fond of my little piglet avatar. If someone would like to build (or knit) him a little boat, or even a raft, that would be nice, but he's not going anywhere.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wrong pig. Do we have a Peppa here?

Or you can have a live one.

--

How long til the first person walks the shiny new plank?

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is so much talk on the ship about food and drink, surely the new ship must have a well stocked galley. I am requesting tea and gin if the quartermaster is preparing the provisions to set sail.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tots of rum will be freely available, I hope.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am astonished that Long John Silver has never appeared as an avatar - in "Treasure Island" he was in fact the ship's cook.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
There is so much talk on the ship about food and drink, surely the new ship must have a well stocked galley. I am requesting tea and gin if the quartermaster is preparing the provisions to set sail.

Gin is reserved for Hosts’ lounge. How else would we cope?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

Gin is reserved for Hosts’ lounge. How else would we cope?
We could share a shot of GIN with exceptionally well-behaved Shipmates on occasion!! [Two face]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to think that there'll be at least one fully-stocked bar, with GIN (different varieties for the more discerning) whisky (Highland Park, obviously, plus a few lesser brands* [Big Grin] ) and an endless supply of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Argentinian Malbec.

The galley will indeed be well stocked and equipped, with plenty of lamb-shanks in the freezer.

* and some Johnnie Walker for cleaning the headlamps [Devil]

[ 28. January 2018, 15:17: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ships have headlamps?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't leave out a sober lounge ... for those of us in recovery. We could share old war stories (a.k.a. "strength, experience, and hope"). I suspect the laughter coming from our room might surprise a few of you.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Ships have headlamps?

Nope, but the new ship will need cargo lamps like these.

[ 29. January 2018, 01:22: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My apologies - I didn't really consider what the lamps on ships were called. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else thinking that the new ship will now launch couple of weeks from now, as Simon's Valentine's gift to the shipmates?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so glad I've managed to sneak back on board. I'm hoping for a decent Gin Bar, a chatty lounge, plenty of gossip, some flaming darts and the continence of a few that welcomes the programme and newbies alike.
Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I think it may launch on April Fool’s day 🙂 [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I think it may launch on April Fool’s day 🙂 [Smile]

Or Easter Sunday... [Angel]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Simeon's Day?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking forward to the mobile version. That brings to mind a picture of Simon and the hosts on Strings spinning round above a cot/cradle.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
I am looking forward to the mobile version.

The whole point of a ship is that it is mobile. Who wants a static ship?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

All the people who visit the Cutty Sark or HMS Belfast?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are expecting that the new Ship will have as its masthead bikini-clad Simon dancing while he sings "Anchors Away".

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Anchors aweigh", surely?!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this IS the Ship of Fools. Maybe we just frickin' want the anchor away. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if the prep work goes on much longer, I WILL manage to hit 15,000 posts in this incarnation.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
"Anchors aweigh", surely?!

Oops!

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Well, if the prep work goes on much longer, I WILL manage to hit 15,000 posts in this incarnation.

I'm trying to get to 18,000, Ross. Only 32 more to go after this post, I think! I'll have to take a screenshot if I make it, since nobody will know on the New Ship.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corraggio, JJ!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jedijudy

# 333

And to you, Ross! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Grazie!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Prego (or ‘Oregon’ as my autocorrect would have it).

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Wondering how many more I'll manage before the Rapture.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacobson - I think 8000 (you next big milestone) might be a challenge.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Prego (or ‘Oregon’ as my autocorrect would have it).

I'll say Oregon the next time instead of you're welcome! [Killing me] That should work!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Jacobson - I think 8000 (you next big milestone) might be a challenge.

Not if I try really, really hard. [Snigger]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - impressive increase Jacobson!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I understand that playing games in the Circus is a sure-fire quick post count builder.

Of course, so is posting one-word replies like "Grazie." (I will not comment on the weirdnesses of autocorrect.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I understand that playing games in the Circus is a sure-fire quick post count builder.

Of course, so is posting one-word replies like "Grazie." (I will not comment on the weirdnesses of autocorrect.)

Or you can post and delete, post and delete to your heart's content. But what's the point? Do we get a free Ship's mug or something when we reach certain post counts?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, free mugs do not come with certain post counts. Free mugs have been prizes for certain competitions.

(I feel guilty and/or embarrassed about my post count going up, in my mind I see it as evidence of too much time prevaricating on the Ship.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Nope, free mugs do not come with certain post counts. Free mugs have been prizes for certain competitions.

I do realize that, but I was wondering why raising one's post count is such a big deal for some people.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, I just thought 15,000 would be a nice number on which to go out.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The word "challenge" does it for me.

When creating a series of posts on different threads, hitting the flood control will usually result in a longer post than originally intended, as now. Talk amongst yourselves.....

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be a part of the Ship (The Ship's Hold?) which will be decorated to look exactly like the old Ship. So that people can go there and feel safe, warm and comfy, in the illusion that everything is exactly the same as it was in 1662, erm, I mean 2017.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And all quotations will be required to be from the KJB.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And all quotations will be required to be from the KJB.

Not the Vulgate? Revisionist!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't we quote from anywhere else?
Big Fan of King James Version personally, but there are many rooms in the mansion[ or ship in this case]. And there are other quotable sources if not necessarily with divine authority but I would have thought the saints were worth a mention from time to time.

Incidentally, I am pleased to see that every Anglican in Sydney isn't necessarily a Sydney Anglican. Thought I felt a schism coming on. [brick wall]

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

"In my Father's Ship there are many cabins"?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016