homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Religious One-Liners

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Religious One-Liners
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any one-liners that have stopped you in your tracks.

One I heard in the Isle-of-Wight Carisbrooke Christian Centre - 'The Christian Church is the Church of 2nd Chances'.

And in a Reading Methodist Church - 'Never draw a dividing line between your group and others because God will always be on the other side of the line to you.'

Posts: 1413 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carisbrooke Christian Centre? Or Westbrook (near Seaview)?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is their www address. http://www.carisbrookepriory.org.uk/ Carisbrooke Priory is a House of Prayer and Christian Healing. The Priory's vision is to offer to anyone a place to find peace of mind, to relieve and prevent sickness and distress, through listening and prayer, and to advance the Christian faith.
Posts: 1413 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
RdrEmCofE
Shipmate
# 17511

- Posted      Profile for RdrEmCofE   Author's homepage   Email RdrEmCofE   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"How strange for those who choose a Jewish God, to then abuse the Jews."

Seen in a church in Salisbury.

--------------------
Love covers many sins. 1 Pet.4:8. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not holding their sins against them; 2 Cor.5:19

Posts: 255 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a saying and a sign showing up at churches and homes.

"No matter where you're from, we're glad you're our neighbor." In Spanish, English, and Arabic.

https://www.welcomeyourneighbors.org/

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this on a list of church sign sayings:
quote:
Every miracle Jesus does starts with a problem.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't let your worries get the best of you; remember, Moses started out as a basket case.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On one of the walls at The People’s Church, Banbury, there is a sign that says “No perfect people allowed”. While I like the sentiment that the church is open, nomatter what people’s background, I can’t help but think there’s an implication that God is not allowed.
Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The original was:
'How odd of God
To choose the Jews'
capped by
'But not so odd
As those who choose
To worship God
But hate the Jews.'
Still as relevant as when it was first written (1930s).

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can report a really daft one.

On a church sign, I saw this gem:

"Friends are the chocolate chips in the cookies of life."

[Disappointed]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Standard RC saying:

When God closes a door, He opens a window.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Standard RC saying:

That is why churches are always cold.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So...you want me to jump, Lord?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duh - it's a ground floor window.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Why do you behave that way? Were you born in a barn?"

"Some of the best people are born in barns." (/stables)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Duh - it's a ground floor window.

What if I have mobility issues? The Lord wants me to stay inside all my life. Meanie.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
"Why do you behave that way? Were you born in a barn?"

"Some of the best people are born in barns." (/stables)

The only context I have heard that in is when one leaves the door open. "Shut the door! Were you born in a barn?" It never made any sense to me. Still doesn't.

Referring to the stable in which Christ was born always reminds me of "The dwarfs are for the dwarfs!"

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The only context I have heard that in is when one leaves the door open. "Shut the door! Were you born in a barn?" It never made any sense to me. Still doesn't.

I always heard, "Were you raised in a barn?"

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were you born in a tent? Is the question down here. Doorways perhaps but few actual doors to shut.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my colleagues has a little whiteboard on his desk where he inscribes the quote of the day.

A couple of weeks ago:
quote:
When a door closes, open it again. It’s a door. That’s how they work.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

I love that la vie en rouge. Shakes a cheeky fist at the whole "whatever happens must be God's will so go with it gracefully" kind of spiritual attitude which I find so falsely pious sometimes [Big Grin]

Here's one I read today:

quote:
Nature, Mr Allnut, is what we were put in the world to rise above.
- Katherine Hepburn to Humphrey Bogart in African Queen (1951)

Now I like that one because it counteracts that contemporary love and spiritualisation of nature as always "pure and good and true"

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016