homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Block voting: Eurovision Song Contest 2018

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Block voting: Eurovision Song Contest 2018
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is coming:

The annual celebration of camp, cheese, and block voting. There's some music in there too.

But if you can't wait for The finals from Lisbon in May, the contenders for the British entry have been announced.

Listen and vote here.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British contender 1:

Goldstone - I feel the love

Catchy tune for the verse, a build up to a chorus which does not quite live up to the build up, until the flanged drum break (Itchycoo Par anyone?). There is also a "clap yuor hands" section, which could be embarrassing if no one does.

This song has everything, a bit of rock distorted guitar, a bit of techno, and 60's flanging. A number of ingredients that almost work together. The song is nicely sung.

After a couple of listens, I think the percussion track is very good and consistent. But is that enough to win a song contest? I think not. Adequate but not great.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

British contender 2:

Asanda - Legends

The song contains the words, "I'm hearing fame banging on the door."

You must be hearing things.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

British contender 3:

Raya - Crazy

At last a chorus that does it's job. Lifts the song and adds excitement. A good range of dynamics too, they know that you can have a quiet section.

I like it, but going with my past predictions in this competition, that is probably a kiss of death.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

British contender 4:

[b]Liam Tamne - Astronaut[b]

Now we know we are in Eurovision, cringe worthy lyrics.

Astro naught.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

And cringe worthy coding.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

British contender 5

Jaz Ellington - You

Wow.

This is my favourite of the contenders. A soul song with jazz moments. This is a really good song, plus the performer has a great name.

But it does not sound like Eurovision to me.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

British contender 6:

SuRie - Storm

Eurovision songs are supposed to be memorable, at least in the short term. After a couple of listens my only thing I remember is that I dislike this song.

Storm? More like drizzle.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

So what do you think of them?

Or you can post another countries contenders for our delight.

A bit of a mixed bag there from the British, as usual. I'm going back to listen to Jaz Ellington.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
British contender 4:

[b]Liam Tamne - Astronaut[b]

Now we know we are in Eurovision, cringe worthy lyrics.

Astro naught.

Latvia should do it. It would win. [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
It is coming:

The annual celebration of camp, cheese, and block voting. There's some music in there too.

We've got, what, two more years of it. Then we leave the EU and we can finally avoid having to be involved in Eurovision. No more annual humiliation as we enter the worst song ever (even worse than the previous year) and have to watch people pretend they like it. The only small good thing from Brexit, in dumping all ties with Europe we also lose Eurovision.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Alan, we were involved in Eurovision long before we were involved in the EU so leaving the latter won't affect the former.

Perhaps the Bremainers should have used this in their campaigning.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Sorry, Alan, we were involved in Eurovision long before we were involved in the EU so leaving the latter won't affect the former.

Perhaps the Bremainers should have used this in their campaigning.

So, the one possible good that could come from Brexit is as illusionary as £350m per week. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For all Eurovision fans out there, I heartily recommend Europhoria podcast.
quote:
where two self-confessed Eurovision obsessives delve into the great, glam and garish stories from Eurovision's past. Each week Isobel and Roland keep you updated on the most recent song contest news, explore the rich history of the competition and attempt to create their own successful Eurovision entry.
It's been going for just over a year, so there's lots to listen to. Roland's songs are usually pretty bad, but that just adds to the fun. They have dug up some fascinating back stories to previous Eurovision contestants and competitions.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goldstone - I Feel The Love

Sounds very like the Stevie Wonder/Ariana Grande song from the film 'Sing' except it doesn't have the benefit of Stevie Wonder. The band's name invites 'Gallstones' jokes (there you go, I got in first folks!) or it will get fans of the musical 'Gypsy' singing "Have an eggroll, Mr Goldstone" incessantly. And don't tell me there is no crossover between Eurovision fans and people who can sing the songs from 'Gypsy'... [Biased]

Asanda - Legends
The intro and the bass are annoying beyond belief. It settles down into a Brazilian samba number, which might be impressive if we could flood the stage with dancers, but sadly Eurovision rules don't allow that.

Off to listen to the rest before I post again.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raya - Crazy
Looking at the names of the songwriters, we seem to be doing a fair bit of outsourcing there.

It sounds like half the songs they play at my gym, which could be a good thing. Not my style, but you never know. However, Clean Bandit may want their melody line back. (What? I wasn't the only one singing 'Rockabye' over it, surely?) Songs with an "Ooh ahh" chorus have done well before, but maybe we should get the Wurzels to do an "ooh arr" cover version?

Liam Tamne - Astronaut

Radio friendly (for which read dull). You know they picked the name for the visual possibilities.

"When gravity's pulling you down" errr, so pretty much all the time? And I can usually breathe when that's happening, thanks.

Bring on the last two!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Jaz Ellington - You

I do actually remember this guy from 'The Voice'. Great name! As I remember, he didn't get far despite a superb gospel voice. This is a Proper Song from the days when R&B meant Rhythm and Blues rather than Repetitive and Boring. It doesn't rely on instrumental tricks or gimmicks, and he sings it beautifully. So it'll probably sink like a stone, then. He's getting my vote anyway. A straightforward jazzy song won last time against all the odds, so who knows?

SuRie - Storm

I object to unnecessary capitalisation in names. At least it's not punctuation (remember Hear'Say, anyone? Shudder...)

Fairly standard Eurovision poppy number. The drum break isn't enough to make it memorable.

Oh well, one good song out of six isn't bad, I suppose.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I made it 2 out of 6, but we all know they will not make it to the final. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jazz Elington best by far. I will vote for him.
Maybe this is the year to bring back the Ship of Fools Eurovision Song Contest I use to do.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Go for it Hugal. [Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, please!
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Ooh yes, a Ship Eurovision on the new Ship!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the new ship then I’m

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Brilliant! I’ll remind Helmuth to start polishing his horn.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hasn't been a decent entry since Lordi. Not even novelty entries these days, just a series of forgettable dross.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Brilliant! I’ll remind Helmuth to start polishing his horn.
His act was prophetic - we really did get a rap/yodel fusion last year:

Yodel It

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Who are you going to vote for?

British voting show now on BBC 2.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I trust the British public.

SuRie will win.

As it was truly dreadful, that is who will win.

I trust the British public to do the wrong thing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Jaz all the way. What a voice!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Yup.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

On Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing On Ice we see the worst contestants again.

This is no exception. Oh dear, my ears are hurting.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Oh well. Not my taste but Eurovision loves this kind of thing.

At least she stayed in tune.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that was terrible. Dull, dull, dull. No chance of troubling the scoreboard this year, I fear.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why. Eurovision winners are usually dull and terrible, so why not?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eurovision Song Contest is a farce.

When it started it was fun with European countries and catchy songs. It was those countries who were part of the European Broadcasting Union (nothing to do with European Union). Remember Sandi Shaw, Cliff Richard, 'Brotherhood of Man', Dana, Abba, etc? All were well known artists already in their own countries.

Now it is out of tune signing by second rate acts and is open to all comers no matter from where they come in the globe. Israel etc. isn't in Europe!!!

No I won't be watching it.

Give me Glastonbury, Celtic Connections or Cardiff Singer of the Year any day.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

The contest is open to members of the European Broadcasting Union. Now that includes Australia, but Israel are not part of it now as the company that broadcasts it has folded. Last year’s winner was not typical. In fact a few of the recent winners have been atypical.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016