homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » When the new ship sails

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: When the new ship sails
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new ship will launch in December.

That's all very well, but when will she gracefully slide backwards down the slipway?

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 51 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think just after the weekend is likeliest, which is why my guess is Monday 11 December.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've voted for St. Stephen's Day, on the basis that Simon et al will all be so full of Christmas cheer that they'll be desperate to share it with us.

Either that, or they'll be ready for martyrdom if it all goes pear-shaped (which God forbid)...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
December 6, Saint Nicholas day, patron saint of sailors. The feast of fools unfortunately is January 1.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Whoever said December 1 has only a few hours left.

December 6th had the most votes. I am hoping there were by admins with insider knowledge. I'd love an early launch.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

But what time zone are we using?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

But what time zone are we using?
Point taken. Death Pool uses . . . UTC. So UTC/GMT/Whatever It Is (London time right now, since y'alls'd be off summer time, no?).

Yes, Death Pool uses UTC as determined by a clock in US Eastern time zone (Washington, DC). Sue me.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
... since y'alls'd be off summer time, no?).

Who, me? We're always in Mountain Standard Time even when the rest of the silly U.S. switches to Daylight Savings Time.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
... since y'alls'd be off summer time, no?).

Who, me? We're always in Mountain Standard Time even when the rest of the silly U.S. switches to Daylight Savings Time.
That must be those parts of Arizona not in the Navajo Nation, which does change. The fun we had touring the canyons and daily changing our watches.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have joined the throng betting on the 31st. I think they'll need all the time they can get to make the new vessel shipshape.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I said the 30th because I agree they'll need all the time they can get, but they won't do it on New Year's Eve, I don't think.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I'm sure I set the vote to close on midnight 30th November, GMT.

Anyhoo, my choice, today, is seeming less and less likely, unless something dramatic happens.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering if 1 April 2018—20 years of the Ship online—wasn't the actual target date...

N.B. for sticklers: I have Absolutely No Idea when this is going to happen. THEY haven't told me. I wasn't cheating when I voted.

N.B. for sticklier sticklers: frankly, I don't even remember what day I picked. Think it was the 31st, as "closest to 1 April I could find." Seriously, no inside information, not cheating (for once).

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

'Tis lookin' like we has all been wrong.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Har, har, me 'earties! Shiver me timbers!

Perhaps we 'as been boarded by Pirates !!

Or bin 'anded the BLACK SPOT !!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone seen the lifeboats? [Help]

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:
Anyone seen the lifeboats? [Help]

You may well ask.

In the past there have been periods when the ship was taken into drydock. On at least some of these occasions alternatives were set up but with FB I suppose those who can bring themselves to use it could go there.

(AFAIK the drydock no longer exists, hence the need for a new Ship).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Tis lookin' like we has all been wrong.

Wisely, you included no year. Someone could still be correct...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we could keep the same dates, with a different month and year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very reminiscent of the early church waiting for the second coming, isn't it?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it has already set sail, as a ghost ship. And none of us even noticed.

I wish we'd all been ready.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eek! Does that mean some of us have been raptured onto the new ship?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

You may think that.

Those of us who have Gone Before couldn't possibly comment.

IJ

--------------------

aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean there's no one else here but the Flying Dutchman , who is a figment of Wagner's imagination?

Where's the Doctor when I need him? Any incarnation will do, but preferably Dr Capaldi.

Anyone seen a blue police box? We don't have them in Oz. At least I've never seen one.

You are serious? I am alone on a resurrected Marie Celeste? EEEKK [Help]

--------------------
sld2A

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

All dates are now rolled over to February, choices for 28th and later are counted as the 28th,

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

If we are within the restrictions of February 2018,
I will opt for the 14th which combines Ash Wednesday with St Valentine's Day.
Or February 29th which doesn't exist in 2018. [ A bit like this supposed New Ship]

--------------------
sld2A

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But the 29th February will exist in 2020...

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm - I still think it’ll be April 1st [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no new ship. It is going to be our version of Going to Moscow.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

Going to Moscow a la Chekov?

I'd rather take the Golden Road to Samarkand.

At least in Uzbekistan there have "ships of the desert" , even if I did only see 3 last year, and they were on tourist duty.
After all ,no-one said the ship had to be marine going, did they?

--------------------
sld2A

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016