homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » What it REALLY means (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What it REALLY means
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Straightforward example:

"I'm not racist but..."

"I am about to say something racist."

I think this works best if the each poster provides the original expression and the subsequent explanation.

Also, one entry per post, but of course you can do multiple posts.

So...

"Come on, we're all adults here."

"Quit complaining about my gratuitous lewdness."

[ 25. May 2016, 16:33: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Of course, I respect your right to say whatever you wish".

=

"I've already decided not to listen to a word you say, as I think it's utter claptrap".

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We don't live in a democracy anymore."

=

"No one voted for the party I like."

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We are glad that justice has been done".

=

"We're really glad that he was found guilty and sent to jail".

(Presumably linked to: "There's no justice in this world" = "He was acquitted").

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

"I need your undivided attention."

=

"What you are about to hear will be mind-crushingly boring."

[ 25. May 2016, 18:03: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"And so to sum up..."

=

"I plan to preach for another 20 minutes."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have to be fair to everybody....

=

Why should we be fair to you?

[ 25. May 2016, 19:07: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick question

=

An unbelievably complex question, preceded by an endlessly long preamble

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I don't mean to be critical, but"

=

I'm about to attack your efforts, your intelligence, and/or your appearance

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I feel God is saying to me ..."

=

This is something that I want, but it is so tenuous that I need to have divine justification for it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

"Finally, a church that preaches the gospel."

=

"Every sermon is about sodomy."

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me clarify -

=

Listen, while I obfuscate beyond hope of elucidation.

[ 26. May 2016, 12:55: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What I really mean to say is"

=

"I am about to repeat my previous question, word for word"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I understand what you say"

=

"And I shall ignore you entirely"

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What an interesting combination of flavours."

=

It was absolutely horrid.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I've never thought of it like that before."

=

What substance were you taking when you thought that up?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The company will be exploring new ways to serve its customers better.

=

Expect massive layoffs.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

By a politician on TV: "Before I answer that, I'd just like to say ..."

=

"I have absolutely no intention of answering your question and I'm not going to be swayed from my briefing".

(Linked to "Let's be very clear on this, Jeremy ..." = "I'm pretending to be your chum and I'm never going to give you a straight answer").

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

In an academic discourse: "Clearly, therefore ..."

=

"I'm making a huge illogical leap here which has no basis on the empirical evidence I've cited but which is utterly necessary for proving my thesis. I'm actually hoping that you won't notice but, if you do, please jump with me!"

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

"The attitudes toward sex in that culture are so much more rational than ours."

=

"It's easier to score over there."

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"The lads showed real character out there"

=

"We lost the match but the result would have been even worse for us if the players hadn't taken every opportunity to impede play".

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

"I'm making a huge illogical leap here which has no basis on the empirical evidence I've cited but which is utterly necessary for proving my thesis. I'm actually hoping that you won't notice but, if you do, please jump with me!"

Bonus marks for lining it up with a page break.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Indeed! [Overused]
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You suggest something."

=

"I know exactly what I want but I'm not going to tell you. I'm going to force you to guess repeatedly, vetoing all your wrong choices, until you finally learn to read my mind."

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
"You suggest something."

=

"I know exactly what I want but I'm not going to tell you. I'm going to force you to guess repeatedly, vetoing all your wrong choices, until you finally learn to read my mind."

Do you know my wife then?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I care.

=

I don't give a shit, but will say anything to get off the hook.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

"You are your own worst enemy"

= Prepare for some bullying

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Everyone knows . . .

=

How can you be so stupid as not to know . . .

[ 28. May 2016, 03:22: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
The company will be exploring new ways to serve its customers better.

=

Expect massive layoffs.

[Overused]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(From a politician): "We're all in this together."

=

"You're all in this together - we're just fine with our international portfolios and expense accounts, but we're going to tax you until the pips squeak."

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lessons will be learned

=

We're a public body which has been caught with its pants down: we're immune from prosecution so if we say we're going to learn lessons and keep our head down Joe Public will forget about it until the next time it happens.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

"It's the right thing to do"

=

Trust me, I'm a Tory.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

"We're all in the same boat"

=

So I'll steer while you row.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I am interested to have your opinion...

=

...so that I can ignore it while saying that you were duly consulted.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I'll get right on it [by an employment agency after seeing your resume].

=

Let's face it: you're unemployable.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll keep your resume on file."

=

"...in the trash bin."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

(On the subject of employment agencies)
"We have the most exciting opportunities just for you"

=

Another job has come in, the computer matched some words with your CV.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

On the subject of job applications -

You are obviously very experienced

=

You are too old.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I NEVER would have spoken to my father that way!

=

Wiah I could've, though. Miserable pr**k.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, I had this exchange with a lawyer friend:

Me: "You should tell X you'll take [his unsolicited opinion] under advisement."

L.: "But that's lawyerease for 'shove your opinion up your ass.'"

Me:" [Big Grin] "

She wound up following my advice.

[ 19. August 2016, 16:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times"

=

"I have lost the ability to influence your behavior."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"No Shoulder Driving"

=

"We acknowledge that there aren't enough lanes to accommodate the traffic on this stretch of road."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The meeting will be short.

=

The meeting is a face-saving exercise which will change nothing.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"There's something I want to talk to you about"

=

"You're really not going to like what I'm about to say but I've at last summoned up the courage to say it".

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

He's alright in small doses.

=

The smaller, the better.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

We need to speak.

=

You need to listen.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm just sharing this so you can pray..."

=

"Here's a really juicy bit of gossip I heard..."

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With respect I must disagree

What is really meant is: I disagree totally and have no respect for you.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

"I have a mandate"

means

"I can now behave like a dictator"

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All lives matter."

=

"Well, all but those."

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016