homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » NFL Superbowl

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: NFL Superbowl
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless I've missed it, we haven't had an NFL thread this year, although I'm aware that a number of Shipmates are fans and followers.

One of the long running soccer World Cup jokes goes like this. "Great games, lots of excitement and uncertainty and close calls - and then the German win".

Well, the Patriots are in the Superbowl yet again, despite being outplayed by the Jaguars for three quarters. Another classic Brady 4th quarter comeback, despite losing Gronk through concussion, and Brady playing with bad cut on his throwing hand. They find a way to do it.

So I just wondered what Shipmates thought about Pats- Eagles. Can the Eagles break the Patriots' grip. Or after all the thrills, spills, uncertainties, will it be yet again "and then the Patriots win"? Yet again?

I'm a Giants fan, so it's been a bit of a disastrous season for me.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheering for the Eagles as my family has deep roots in eastern Pennsylvania but I suspect this will be a back to back win for the Pats. Eagles don’t have their starting quarterback playing so while I think it will be close at first in the end it will be a rout.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pats will do it with mirrors. Hopefully, Gronk will be back. Amendola did a great job of making himself look big at the back of the end zone.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Eagles played very well against the Vikings and Neil Foles had probably his best ever day as a QB against one of the best NFC defences.

I don't think they will be any kind of pushover. But it's never been wise to bet against Brady in any clutch situation.

Mind you, even if they win, I think this may be their swansong. They don't have a good backup for Brady any more, and are losing two exceptionally good coaches. You can smell the end of the era.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in middle school, for some reason, I decided to be a contrarian, and root against Michal Jordan's Bulls.

Playing the same tactic against the Patriots has been slightly more rewarding, but still, intentionally rooting against the G.O.A.T. isn't something I would recommend to others.

Our daughter's god parents are from Philly, so they are a bit of a back-up team for us. I hope they can put up a fight, but it's going to be tough.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The Eagles played very well against the Vikings and Neil Foles had probably his best ever day as a QB against one of the best NFC defences.

The interesting question then becomes, what do they do with Foles if they win the Super Bowl?

Carson Wentz (the Eagle’s regular, presently injured, QB) is, by all accounts, a real deal superstar QB in the making. They probably aren’t in the Super Bowl without his near MVP season. Nick Foles has had a mostly forgettable career, with the exception of the 2013 season and last night.

Could you trade Foles if he wins the big one? He has a year left on his contract, and it’s a QB starved league. If a good enough draft pick package is offered, they might consider it.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
When I was in middle school, for some reason, I decided to be a contrarian, and root against Michal Jordan's Bulls.

Did not.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting bored of the Patriots' consistency in terms of grinding out important wins. I was gutted for the Jags (in the same way I was annoyed at the Falcons for folding against the Eagles)

I don't expect any drama or closeness. I don't expect a 4th quarter "change of fortunes"
I think the Patriots will just start ahead, and keep going

which is annoying because I like the idea of staying up to watch the SB, but it's no fun if the team you're supporting doesn't seem to have a hope of winning.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for a chuckle, what is Brady's Super Bowl record against NFC East opponents?

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

1-2. They beat Philly once, and lost to the Giants twice. Which leaves him 2-0 against the NFC West and 2-0 against the NFC South. He's never faced a NFC north opponent in the Super Bowl, although the Patriots lost their first two Super Bowls to North teams (central at the time).

You kind of forget it because of the offsetting wins, but the Patriots are tied with the Bills and the Vikings for second most Super Bowl losses (4). The only team with 5 S.B. L's? My Broncos. (And when the Broncos lose a Super Bowl, they don't mess around. If you look up most lopsided Super Bowl final scores, the Broncos were on the losing end of three of the top five.)

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I'm getting bored of the Patriots' consistency in terms of grinding out important wins. I was gutted for the Jags (in the same way I was annoyed at the Falcons for folding against the Eagles)

I don't expect any drama or closeness. I don't expect a 4th quarter "change of fortunes"
I think the Patriots will just start ahead, and keep going

which is annoying because I like the idea of staying up to watch the SB, but it's no fun if the team you're supporting doesn't seem to have a hope of winning.

It's been pointed out to me that the seven previous Brady Super Bowls have at least been fun games to watch. I don't think they've ever blown anyone out. There was a stretch back in the 80s and 90s where the game was, more often than not, an embarrassing blowout. I'd prefer not to go back to that.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm not expecting a whitewash, just a general feeling of "anything you can do, I can do better" and that the Eagles will just never get in front

I'll still watch some of it, or maybe listen on the radio whilst in bed. If it's exciting enough, it'll keep me awake

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

22-12 to the Eagles at half time. This will be no cake walk for the Pats.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually not uninteresting, the whole thing. I may even begin to grasp some of the rules, of which I am sure there are 100s!

Commentators on BBC One saying it's one of the best games they've ever seen.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
i'm not expecting a whitewash, just a general feeling of "anything you can do, I can do better" and that the Eagles will just never get in front

Hehehe. They stayed in front the vast majority of the game. I am so glad the up-their-own-arses Patriots lost.
I loved the Tide commercials.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Best team on the night won. And it was a great, competitive game. Loved the Foles' TD on 4th down!

[ 05. February 2018, 08:52: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Happy to have been proved wrong - it was a good game
I did spend the last moments of the 4th quarter wondering if some sort of extremely lucky break / controversial ref decision / "I don't care who you support,that was inspired play by Brady" moment was going to clinch it for them

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So glad to have been wrong.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't watch it. Much ado about nothing. And the city of Philadelphia was trashed by unruly fans afterwards. What was accomplished?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Best team on the night won. And it was a great, competitive game. Loved the Foles' TD on 4th down!

Loved Foles' TD as a receiver, especially because Brady muffed his own attempt.
Loved that Foles, an almost retired backup QB, led the Eagles to their first Superbowl.
Love that the Eagles beat the Patriots at their own game. Consistency under pressure and adaptive play.
Kudos to the players and the coaching staff.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Actually not uninteresting, the whole thing. I may even begin to grasp some of the rules, of which I am sure there are 100s!

I’d always written off American football as “haven’t a clue what’s going on”, but I found myself watching the highlights on YouTube - and once I’d found a good introduction to the basics of it, I got quite into it (I’ve a horrible feeling I sound terribly British here [Hot and Hormonal] ). To the extent that I might try and watch a bit more from time to time - it proper piqued my interest.

[ 05. February 2018, 15:37: Message edited by: Stejjie ]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a shame that it's a right bastard that it starts this side of the pond at 2330. I watched the first quarter, then went to bed, glad that I was able to watch some of it live for free on the beeb. Good stuff.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wearing black for mourning today. [Frown]
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

Don't worry if you are completely confused about what does or does not count as a catch. The US announcers thought both close calls on the Eagles touchdowns should have been ruled non-catches, but the league official reviewing called them catches. (I tend to think catch one, with the little bobble on the way out of the end zone, was close, but catch two, where he ran into the end zone and then lost control as he dove to the ground was clearly a good catch.)

As I said above, Tom Brady Super Bowls tend to be great games. (I stole that one from ESPN's Katie Nolan, whose new podcast has become part of my weekly rotation. She's an unashamed Boston sports fan, and was trying to give the audience any reason to be happy about another Patriots Super Bowl.)

I have to think that Brady will be back at least one more season, as the chance to be the only player with 6 titles will probably be too much to resist. It'll be interesting to see how the Patriots do with both of their coordinators going on to become head coaches of other teams next year. No hard feelings for the Pat's defensive coordinator, but I'm kind of hoping for a spectacular crash-and-burn for Josh McDaniels in Indianapolis. (He was the head coach for the Broncos for a year and a half, and started off 6-0 in his first season. We thought he was going to be great. But then they managed to become the first team in history to start 6-0 and not make the playoffs, he traded up to get Tim Tebow in the first round of the draft, and then the next season, he tried some shady spygate-type stuff against the 49ers, which ultimately led to his firing when he was caught by the league.)

[ 05. February 2018, 16:08: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
he tried some shady spygate-type stuff against the 49ers, which ultimately led to his firing when he was caught by the league.)

Perfect fit with the patriots, then. [Biased]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
It's a shame that it's a right bastard that it starts this side of the pond at 2330. I watched the first quarter, then went to bed, glad that I was able to watch some of it live for free on the beeb. Good stuff.

At least when we want to watch Premier League or World Cup games over here, it lends itself nicely to drinking beer at 8:00 AM.

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:

At least when we want to watch Premier League or World Cup games over here, it lends itself nicely to drinking beer at 8:00 AM.
A perfect start to a perfect morning [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...(I tend to think catch one, with the little bobble on the way out of the end zone, was close, but catch two, where he ran into the end zone and then lost control as he dove to the ground was clearly a good catch.)

Most plays similar to that one were called incomplete this year - at least in the games I watched. This highlights several issues with video replay. Among them, the time it takes, the loss of momentum, and the possibility of playing favorites as many calls are very close.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
and the possibility of playing favorites as many calls are very close.

This possibility exists in every sport and has the potential to be worse without video replay. The issue is the catch/no-catch rule.
Given how many times the Patriots have benefited from controversial calls, perhaps this was poetic justice.

[ 05. February 2018, 23:17: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Didn't watch it. Much ado about nothing. And the city of Philadelphia was trashed by unruly fans afterwards. What was accomplished?

So glad British football fans never riot.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

So glad British football fans never riot.
ABR is American, so...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Remember how I said Josh McDanial is not to be trusted as a head coach?

Well, at the absolute last second, a full three weeks after getting the offer from Indianapolis and after the Colts had announced that he would be presented as the head coach to the press tomorrow, he has second thoughts and stays with New England, possibly as head-coach-in-waiting.

You see what I mean?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if a city has a major sports title on the line NFL, NBA. or MLB, every cop and most of the state's national guard should be on speed dial for the evening. [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason I've always been fascinated by American football despite having no interest at all in rugby and very little in football. Very pleased for Philadelphia whom I always liked right back to the days of Randall Cunningham in the 80s (anyone remember Angelo and Andy on Channel 4 in those days and their "American football for absolute beginners" explanations covering things like "what is a down"?).

I think the most impressive thing about their performance was the way they adjusted their offensive play over the course of December/January to accommodate Foles, a QB with a completely different style to that of Wentz, while continuing to grind out victories against a series of tough opponents.

I have really enjoyed the BBC coverage this year. The presenters seem to be having lots of fun. But how is it that I can watch American football twice a week on the BBC but no Ashes cricket at all?

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
I have really enjoyed the BBC coverage this year. The presenters seem to be having lots of fun. But how is it that I can watch American football twice a week on the BBC but no Ashes cricket at all?

I didn't realize you could watch American football in the UK. Maybe I'll come for a visit after all.

I am more than ecstatic with the Eagles' win. Been waiting my whole life for it. [Angel]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I didn't realize you could watch American football in the UK. Maybe I'll come for a visit after all.

SKY Satellite TV - that costs - has games on its channels that cost a bit more to include in your package, though I have sometimes caught games, highlights or RedZone programming on their sports channel which is available on the cheapest package

the BBC (free to air) did a short "features" program each week ahead of a game weekend , and a "highlights" show after each week's games were complete , but both were on at ridiculous times of night

both BBC and Sky did the Superbowl

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016