homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Pink jersey, yellow jersey, red jersey: The everlasting cycling thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pink jersey, yellow jersey, red jersey: The everlasting cycling thread
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be in a minority of one here, but I really like the great cycling tours. And this year, La Vuelta has been rivetting to watch (Eurosport in the UK). Any other Shipmate caught up in this?

[Edited for thread title. iF]

[ 17. September 2017, 09:47: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. We are in a minority of 2.

I'm still wondering if Froome could take 3 jerseys in one grand tour.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trentin looks firm favourite for the Green jersey. But Froome could end up King of the Mountains - if he wins.

The climbing finishes in La Vuelta are much better than this year's Tour de France, the factor which has really made La Vuelta so good so far. Froome needs to keep up the climbing standard if he is to win. That's going to be challenging, particularly this weekend. Niboli looks to be in good form. And although Contador is 3 minutes down, he could be very dangerous on these huge climbs.

All to play for!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a difference a day makes.

Villella has made gains in the climbers competition by attacking earlier climbs but Froome gains in the points classification to be only 5 points from Trentin. There are still a lot of mountains to come

I still fancy Froome's chances to take white, green and red. I expect him to be holding them tomorrow evening.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Great stage. Another brilliant breakaway win, plus great GC competition on that final gruelling climb. It does now look to be between Froome and Niboli. They both finished strongly today.

Tomorrow? A short, brutal stage. It might rain, apparently, which makes that descent significant. And what a climb at the end. Two climbs in theory, but in practice some 30 uphill kilometres, some very steep.

I'm guessing that Froome has at least half a minute up his sleeve over Niboli in the time trial on Tuesday, provided he remains upright. So if he escapes tomorrow's stage still in the lead, he looks pretty good to win the whole thing, given the remaining stages. But ...

The Angliru final ascent next Saturday (penultimate day) is the final, really gut-wrenching climb of the whole Tour. It cost Wiggins a Vuelta win in 2011.

You don't just need a racing cycle for the Vuelta. You need crampons!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
You don't just need a racing cycle for the Vuelta. You need crampons!

But mountain stages still give green jersey points, which is why I think Froome will get this as well. He will need a good lead before the final stage though.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

True. Not sure where the intermediate sprints are, and that might be important. There are three stages (15. 17. 20) which definitely favour Froome over Trentin at the finish. Trentin will probably score very well for the Green Jersey on 18,19 and 21. I think Froome will want to save something for that dreaded Stage 20, particularly if Niboli has another good day tomorrow. So I still favour Trentin for Green.

But you're right. If Chris keeps up his own climbing form, he could net three jerseys. That would be something!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Another gruelling stage. Another great stage win, this time by Lopez. And, yes, Chris Froome leads the Overall, Points and Combined Jersey competition and is third in the Climber Jersey competition.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Lopez is a close second in the climber competition, and catching up on Froome in the combined.

I still think Froome will win overall, and the points will be close, he needs a good lead going into the last day, but I think he can do it.

Climber and young rider to Lopez.

Combined: I am no longer sure, Lopez or Froome, leaning towards Lopez now.

Which leaves the most agressive rider: Because it is awarded by jury and this is Spain it will become the "Thanks to Alberto Contador award for being Alberto Contador. Happy retirement."

In other news the number of climbs in La Vuelta means there are some quality sprinters on display here in the Tour of Britain [Smile] .

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Froome got a big boost from the TT and is a hot favourite for the Red jersey. I wonder if he'll go for the TT in the World Championship as well.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Chequered career or not, I'm going to miss Contador. Brilliant efforts in his final Tour. Excellent recovery from Froome after his difficult previous day.

But it ain't all over until that final arduous climb on Saturday is climbed. Froome looks odds on, but the cumulative impact of these punishing climbs can cause anyone to have a bad day.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

All down to Stage 20; Alto de l'Angliru, 117.5km (73 miles).

What a fierce stage to end this fierce race! Short and brutal with a steep 13km climb to end it. The Sky Team have been so impressive in their support for Froome over the last few days. i think his lead should be enough, but it ain't over til its over. I'm kind of hoping that Contador wins the Stage, Froome comes in second, a few seconds adrift!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

It is down to whether Froome is content with 2 jerseys and Sky ride defensively or whether he is going for points as well and rides aggressively to get into the first few finishing places.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't really been following this, but by the power of osmosis I seem to have understood that there is a big hill in today's race?!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I haven't really been following this, but by the power of osmosis I seem to have understood that there is a big hill in today's race?!

Yes, and on the last climb on his last grand tour Contador takes the last stage available to him and goes out in style.

And what style. Bertie, you'll be missed.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Couldn't agree more. Contador was fantastic today - but Chris Froome brought it home in style.

That final climb was absolutely brutal, but it provided a really dramatic climax to a very tough Tour.

Contador confirmed his place among the Immortals with that career finale. I just hope Chris Froome gets the credit he so richly deserves. I know there is concern about the way Sky put together such a strong team, but you still need an outstanding rider to take full advantage of such strong support. Chris Froome has done that in spades.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I still think Froome will win overall, and the points will be close, he needs a good lead going into the last day, but I think he can do it.

Good call! Froome sneaked the points jersey as well in the final sprint.

Definitely the best Grand Tour this year.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

The Vuelta is usually the best grande tour, But this year was exceptional. Unlike the commontaters I spotted Froome in the final sprint, not easy with all the red and black jerseys there this time.

To win three jerseys in a tour and winning two grand tours in a season are great achievements in themselves. To do both - WOW.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

In other cycling news, the Giro d'Italia next year will be starting in Jerusalem and ending in Vatican City, possibly calling in Tel Aviv according to leaked information. The actual announcement will be on Sunday.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Looks like a May 5 time trial start in Jerusalem for Giro 2018. Chris Froome might be tempted to go for it, hold all three Grand Tours.

But he loves the Vuelta and I'm sure will want to defend it. Similarly the Tour de France.

Can't see him doing all three. I think you'd need to be superhuman to have a real shot at winning all three in one season. And it could be a career killer even to try.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since there is regularly a TdF thread, I think it makes sense to keep this one running as a general place to discuss competitive cycling.

I'm open to better suggestions for the thread title though. [Biased]

iF
Circus Host

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

With the World Championships coming up, plus various Velodrome events, there might be just enough posting to make it worth while. The title? It'll do!

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter Sagan has now won three road cycling world championships in a row. Not bad eh! He came from un-noticed near the back of the pack until the last km to win it on the line, thus spoiling what would have been Kristoff's fairy-tale win on home ground for Norway.

And the same week, Froome rounded out his best season with a 3rd place in the individual time trial, on a nasty course (steeply uphill for last few kms).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016