homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Live pool

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Live pool
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember if we have done this before, but in parallel to the Death pool, I think it is a good idea to remember and think of those people who we will be in shock about when they die, but offer praise now, beforehand.

It can be anyone eligible for the death pool.

It may be more Heaven than Circus, but I wanted to parallel it with the death pool.

So my picks would be : Stevie Nicks. That voice is the most amazing thing. Makes me weak at the knees each time I hear it.

Brian Blessed. He is am amazing man really. Especially given his size.

Any more?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this mean more definition? I'm tempted to say My Mum. Does their death have to be anticipated or wished for? Do they have to be famous?

[ 29. May 2017, 02:18: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone who qualifies for the death pool is eligible here.

It is not about celebrating those close to us, it is about celebrating famous people before they die, not just after.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alexi Sayle. Ground-breaking Manchester comedian and star of The Young Ones.

--------------------
Human

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Alexi Sayle ...

Hang on a minute - he's only ten years older than me. I hope he's not on the "kiss of life" list!

My own nomination for the Live Pool would be Dr. Francis Jackson, organist emeritus of York Minster, who, God willing, will turn 100 in October, and thus be ineligible* for the Death Pool.

An excellent organist and composer, and a very, very nice man.

* well, not worth any points anyway

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have to go with Sir David Attenborough.

He is by far the greatest television broadcaster of all time. He has shown us how wonderful, and how brutal, nature can be. Not as a pedagogue, but as a friend. He is also a pioneer, as during his time as controller of BBC 2 he introduced colour television.

Some people are honoured by giving them the freedom of the city; Attenborough ought be given the freedom of the planet.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Live pool? Ooh! [Yipee]

<opens thread>

Oh.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

rofl

I'd like to do another one, if I may. I was going to say Eddie Charlton, but he's long gone. I will instead nominate another hero from my childhood, Bill Oddie. He was always my favorite Goodie, and The Goodies was always my favorite afternoon entertainment post-school.

--------------------
Human

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I would have to go with Sir David Attenborough.

I heartily concur.

To add a name of my own: Stephen Hawking. Such a fabulous intellect.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
rofl

I'd like to do another one, if I may. I was going to say Eddie Charlton, but he's long gone. I will instead nominate another hero from my childhood, Bill Oddie. He was always my favorite Goodie, and The Goodies was always my favorite afternoon entertainment post-school.

Yes. What is more, he has made a life beyond the Goodies, showing that he is more than just funny.

Bill - please live forever.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alexi Sayle. Ground-breaking Manchester comedian and star of The Young Ones.

Manchester? Not sure he'd take kindly to that. He's from Liverpool.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

There are many things I could say, but the fact is that I seem to be wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. At least I didn't say he was from Yorkshire.

Video. He probably swears.

--------------------
Human

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Joan Armatrading.

I know she feels a bit Radio-2 for my usual taste, but she has the most amazing voice, and uses it brilliantly.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016