homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The beautiful game - the boys are back (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The beautiful game - the boys are back
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Football League kicks off this weekend, the Premiership and other European leagues soon after, and of course, the MLS is in full swing. So have at it, boys and girls.

[Smile]

[Edited for thread title.]

[ 15. August 2016, 08:03: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Tottenham side did well in North America, let's see how well we can do in North London. I hope I can get their first match in White Hart Lane on television here! It's just not the same reading about it after the fact or on 'Spurs TV' which seems to be only excerpts. Worse case scenario, I can try to remember the local postal address I was using before my membership lapsed. I really need to get some new kit soon, I may be filling in for a PE coach at school next week...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah! Spuds first game against my fav West Ham. It was three wins out of three for us last season. I reckon we can do it again. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin, as I understand it, NBC have every Premier League match this year, so hopefully you'll be able to find it.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Southampton Football Club, then. Looking at their transfer business so far this summer (see part-way down this article), I think we might be okay:

Shaw out, Bertrand in at left back

Lallana out, Tadic and Taider in at attacking midfield

Lambert out, Pelle in at centre forward

Lovren out - seriously need to replace him

Chambers out - not sure we need to buy a replacement

Forster in (it looks like) - upgrade at goalie, IMO

If the new signings do okay (a big 'if', of course) then I think Saints will be okay. Not 8th place again okay, but top 12 okay, I reckon. But do come back and laugh at me if we get relegated this season.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every EPL game is streamed live for free in the US.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Sir Kevin, as I understand it, NBC have every Premier League match this year...

Well, we got screwed out of the friendly against the German side yesterday, which we won! Damned if I would have wasted my time screaming for Arsenal's defeat against City yesterday...

Must be sure to record this week's match against West Ham!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
But do come back and laugh at me if we get relegated this season.... [Big Grin]

No, no laughter. It will be commiserations. There's nothing much worse than having a team of immense potential ripped apart before your eyes.

(Also, as a former inhabitant of Soton, I'll always have a soft spot for the Saints.)

On a different matter... At last, not a draw for the Whitecaps! Good win against a very strong Sporting Kansas City. Perhaps a place in the playoffs is still possible. With Aldershot winning their first game of the season, it's been a rare good weekend.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like some defenders are late back for pre-season training! Dagenham & Redbridge 6 - 6 Brentford.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got real soft spot for the Daggers. They've done it the hard way. No big shot owner pumping in tons of money (cough, Fleetwood... Crawley... cough). They've come up through non-league football and into the league by slow and steady development. A great club. I hope they manage to hang around for some seasons to come.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
will there be a Briskoda league at
fantasy.premierleague.com

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

There can be if you'd like to set one up. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come join the League of Fools
private league, number 2172581-493552

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Wet Kipper - never done a Fantasy League before, so thought I'd try my hand (I will no doubt be abysmal!!)

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I shall have to apologise in advance: Two years ago I found myself cheering because Agüero had scored and he was my FF captain. At that very moment I checked myself and promised that I would never do FF again. It ain't right.

[ 15. August 2014, 11:22: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Alrighty then, boys and girls. The Premier League is back. You ready?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ready, not sure the Mancs were. They lost 2-1 at home to Swansea.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noble, you fucking knob!
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'm ready, not sure the Mancs were. They lost 2-1 at home to Swansea.

Louis van Gaal is not the messiah? Poor old Man Utd - still in significant need of new players, it seems!

Nervous anticipation is building in me for the Sunday lunchtime game - I'm a Saints fan and also a (pretty casual) Liverpool follower! I'm hoping for big things again from Liverpool, and I also think Southampton will be much better this season than many have been saying.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

So - if Van Gaal doesn't improve on 7th place this season, will he be given the heave ho as well??

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't often surface here, as frankly football isn't my bag. But I felt I had to share a spectacular piece of idiocy with you. Someone on the radio tonight referred to Arsenal as title contendors

It's the first game of the bloody season, FFS!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
So - if Van Gaal doesn't improve on 7th place this season, will he be given the heave ho as well??

It could be a wake up call. His club career has been at Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. In the Dutch, Spanish and German leagues there really isn't much competition for the top club or two and, apart from his tie in charge at AZ, he's been manager at one of them. That isn't the case now, there's real competition in the Premiership.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I don't often surface here, as frankly football isn't my bag. But I felt I had to share a spectacular piece of idiocy with you. Someone on the radio tonight referred to Arsenal as title contendors

It's the first game of the bloody season, FFS!

AG

It's an annual ritual for Arsenal to be declared contenders at the start of the season, for punditland to say that it's theirs for the taking in early December, and for them to win their fourth place trophy come May. So I wouldn't worry about what you heard on the radio today - it's just the natural order of things. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As my Better Half put it: "The footie season's started. The bad news is Ipswich, Colchester and Norwich all lost. The good news is so did Manchester United".

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After winning the first two games, my team FC Groningen is in third place now, behind PSV and Ajax. These games were against relatively weak teams, but it isn't a bad start. We have a midfielder Tjaronn Chery who seems rather good. At least he scores regularly.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Phroar!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Phroar!!

That is sexy football indeed. Did you see Henderson's pass to Sterling for Liverpool's first goal?

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Anyone can hit-and-hope a forty yarder. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

Pfft.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Whitecaps have slipped back into bad habits. A six match unbeaten run sounds good. Until you realise that it comprises of 5 draws and a solitary win. [Disappointed]

Still. I've booked my ticket for my first ever match at BC Place. Sept 27th - Whitecaps v Real Salt Lake. I'm guessing it will be yet another 0-0 snooze fest...

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

Ah, enjoy the game, OtG! Here's hoping for a seven goal thriller. I've got friends who live just outside Vancouver, as it happens, and they've been to a handful of Whitecaps games. I don't think recently, mind you.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Ah, enjoy the game, OtG! Here's hoping for a seven goal thriller. I've got friends who live just outside Vancouver, as it happens, and they've been to a handful of Whitecaps games. I don't think recently, mind you.

Seven goal thriller?

I didn't know games could end up 3.5-3.5!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Mario Balotelli has just completed his move to Liverpool. This could be fun...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Talking to a Liverpool supporter yesterday, we agreed that this will either be one of the greatest transfer dealings of all time or a wonderful farce. One thing it ain't gonna be is boring.

I also loved a quote about Super Mario - “the strange talent of making everyone happy when he arrives and even happier when he leaves”.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MK Dons-4
Man. U-0

Keep an eye out for low flying pigs.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No shock result in that game then
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's bad for us. We are rebuilding and £200 Million worth of new players will take time to gel.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

£200m already spent and ManUre still to replace an entire defence and most of the midfield. Hmmm... Just how much more are the Glazers prepared to throw in? At least the forwards are ok....

Oh yeh, Rooney on a steep decline and RVP just about reaching his "best before" date. Who does that leave? De Gea..... I'll bet Luke Shaw is regretting his impetuous leap away from the Saints.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

That was truly glorious!

It's just a shame that United couldn't complete Di María's signing in time for the game, because I'm sure he would have been the difference for them.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Yeh. Like a winger is the answer to all their problems....

Sod's Law dictates that having splashed all that dough on Tia Maria (sic), he then does his cruciate ligament within three games.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Funny as fuck!
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pjl:
No shock result in that game then

Oh I dunno, think MK Dons will be shocked they didn't get more than 4...

By the way, what's with the excuse I've seen elsewhere that this wasn't Man U's first team and .'. that explains the defeat? Is Man U's squad so weak that they don't have a second team capable of beating a League 1 side? If so, they really are in trouble this season!

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

In previous years, Wenger has played his youth squad for League Cup matches and usually got Arsenal into the latter stages. The Man Utd team against MK Dons wasn't THAT full of youngsters and unknowns.

(Message to Danny Welbeck. Get away from Utd now. At the right team, you might develop into the decent (even world class) striker that you showed signs of a couple of years ago. At Utd, you'll just fester until they decide you're no longer wanted and then it will be too late.)

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

We're Number One! Must call my friend the Goonie: his Arsenal side are mired in fifth while my Spurs are on top!

[ 28. August 2014, 06:21: Message edited by: Sir Kevin ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Michel Platini won't stand against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA job.

Yes, we know its by way of a dignified protest at Blatter's running again when he'd previously promised to stand down at the end of this term, and I know MP thinks there is more to do at UEFA, but still its an opportunity wasted.

With Blatter at the helm - and he'll be re-elected no problem - FIFA will remain as a by-word for graft, corruption and ineptitude.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Platini? Blatter?
Tomayto/Tomarto....

FIFA is corrupt from its roots up. The best solution I can see is for some powerful national associations (England, Spain and Germany especially) to withdraw and set up a rival organisation. It would be pretty bloody for a few years, but the end result would probably be a compromise organisation stripped of most of its tackier elements. With any luck, we might also get something more accountable to the paying public.

Lack of accountability is the real key here. As long as THAT continues, I doubt that it will matter who is in overall charge.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
We're Number One! Must call my friend the Goonie: his Arsenal side are mired in fifth while my Spurs are on top!

Don't worry. It's only downhill from there. It won't take longer either.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Platini? Blatter?
Tomayto/Tomarto....

FIFA is corrupt from its roots up. The best solution I can see is for some powerful national associations (England, Spain and Germany especially) to withdraw and set up a rival organisation. It would be pretty bloody for a few years, but the end result would probably be a compromise organisation stripped of most of its tackier elements. With any luck, we might also get something more accountable to the paying public.

Lack of accountability is the real key here. As long as THAT continues, I doubt that it will matter who is in overall charge.

Yep. I agree with everything you say here. Indeed, I've thought for s long time that the FA, for instance, should leave FIFA and start a new world association.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

...And if we only let rubbish countries in then we might stand an outside chance at winning the (new) World Cup!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I reckon that if one big association was to leave others would follow.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016